How to you afford to cruise?

nytraveller53

DH and I only cruise every 2-3 years. We have had to reinvent our careers in our late 40's and are now in our 50's. So, most of our vacations are close to home camping trips. We don't have car payments and usually don't go out much. In 27 years of marriage, we have NEVER paid an interest charge on any credit card. Like a previous poster, we use our Delta Sky Miles card to pay for just about everything and pay it off every month. We save our miles for bigger vacations, like our up coming cruise next year, to save on airfare. DH is almost done with nursing school so hopefully after he finds a nursing job, cruising yearly will be the norm!

Save your $1 bills and put the money into a vacation account when you get a few hundred dollars. We always save at least the "extras" part of our vacations this way.I got in that habit when my kids were small, anytime I broke a larger bill I would put back the ones we got in change for school lunch money. Now that they are grown, I still do it and save the money for fun stuff. I usually deposit it every time it hits $200 so I'm not tempted to use it for something else. We totally paid for our cruise in October like this and we don't have high paying jobs, heck, I don't have a job at all, just my DH.

We cruise about every other year. The off years we go on land vacations. We always go out of the country. Before I was laid off I was a executive assistant. My husband it a senior IT security manager. Combining his certifications with his Harvard degree, he gets paid well. ( degree does not have to be in job field)

We do not cut anything to go. We do use our Amex points sometimes.

My husband grew up taking great vacations with his parents and that is part of the reason for his degree ( archeology with specialty in Mayan). He thinks they are very important and will continue to give them to our child or children.

( ps anyone wanting more money look into a VM cert, people are paying top dollar and recruiters are always sending him offers)

I'm frugal. About everything that comes in the house. I don't need much, and the house and cars are paid for. No debts, and we are both now retired. What really helps us is that we only live 5 hours from Galveston TX, so we can drive to the port. It limits your choices, but it's the best thing for me. I can no longer fly, so leaving from a close to home port is handy for me.

I cruise with my husband, girlfriends, alone, you name it. If the price is right, I'm on it. The ship that is...(g)

Peaches

Interesting thread.

For many years we lived below our means and paid off all of our debt.

Now by finding good deals on cruises, mostly with inside cabins we can afford to cruise 3x per year. Also save money by driving to ports. Driving 900 miles cheaper than flying to Florida from small town in Va.

Also bring our own wine and bar bill is small and do private excursions.

Amazing to see how people will drink on a cruise and how they will go into debt and pay it off for years.

Luckily we taught our kids how not to live paycheck to paycheck.

How do you afford it? What kinds of things have you given up? What kind of jobs allow you to cruise in the beginning, anyway?

I try to Cruise 2X's a year (Goal) and this year I will do it, I have done it a few other times also.

First off let me say I am not wealthy, but I have a good job. I am a single parent who recieves no assitance from the father.

To be able to afford these vacations I prioritize what is important both financially and time. I only get 10 days vacation each year so planning for the right time to cruise is important so that I will not have to take any unpaid vacation.

I don't give gifts to any one except family, and I try to keep these small and meaningful. I always have to travel to see my family and I feel like getting to spend time with them is a great gift. I don't do Birthday or Chistmas gifts for myself or my child, our gifts are vacations together (and everyday is special not just 1-2 days a year).

I save "found" money, Birthday checks, refund checks...etc into a vacation fund.

I minimize my bills so that I can have more money for my vacations. Cut back my cable to just what I really watch, ask the cable company for a discounted promotional package. Keep the cell phone bill down to what I really use and ask for a promotional pricing plan.

I try to buy smart for my vacation, shop around and choose the best deal for the Cruise the airfare and the Pre/Post hotel.

The way i see it every little bit adds up.

Well personally, we only cruise once a year. And we also cruise during one of the most expensive months - June, since that's the only time everyone is able to go. For DF, DS & I.. It usually costs us a little over 4K including cruise fare, pre paid tips, airfare, transportation, taxes, and insurance. It's well worth it for all of us. We look forward to our cruise every year. As far as being able to afford it, we use our tax refund money to pay for it.

The bickering with people = woman (and I AM one-LOL!).

Misspellings = not a lawyer.

Numerous (sometimes frivolous) threads and polls = woman and not a lawyer.

A member only eight months and over 900 posts = not a lawyer. This is someone with lots of time on their hands.

The "my grandma is paying for our Oasis cruise" and the type of posts made me think YOUNG. and I was indignantly told 30s.

i guess hard times fall on lawyers too that they have to budget.

Two weeks ago we booked the Magic for August 2012 and the day after we booked I set up an auto withdrawal of $35 each week that will go to paying off the cruise, and once that happens, the rest will go to airfare and OBC!!!

Did you set this up with the cruise line? I didnt know you could do this, that makes me sooo happy... I will be booking my first cruise soon and I thought I would have to call in weekly to make payments.

Yup - that's what we're thinking as well. Save the best for last!;)

LOL ! Well, I think just the opposite. My Dad died at 48 of a heart attack. I am 49 and have never thought of living old, so I do what I want now. We do save in our 401K just in case and DW works just so we have the extra money to eat out more and stay in a B&B once in a while and cruise a couple of times a year. We do take Spring and Fall cheaper cruises mostly and we don't have expensive hobbies that take our extra money. Our hobby is cruising. I want to cruise now while I can still zipline/parasail etc ....why wait until it is difficult climbing all the stairs and walking down the long piers. If I can still afford it then, I will have done it all and just enjoy sitting on the deck and remembering.

we rarely go out to eat and never go to the movies, we do something called a redbox or netflix rental. we cook most of our meals and buy the generic brand of EVERYTHING. we live under our means. we make sure that at the end of the month we have several hundred dollars left over that we put into a savings account. we pay our 400 or 500 dollar deposit and then at tax time pay it off with our refund. then the money we have saved throughout the year we use a small chunk of to use for spending money travel expense etc. btw i work in nursing and my husband is a manager over a large fuel chain in the south

Did you set this up with the cruise line? I didnt know you could do this, that makes me sooo happy... I will be booking my first cruise soon and I thought I would have to call in weekly to make payments.

Cindi,

What I am doing is either weekly or every couple week just going on carnival's site, logging in, entering my CC information and paying them. Extremely simple. Name, address, CC#, BINGO processed. There really isn't a hassle going on weekly and paying. :D

We are self employed and all of our kids are grown and out on their own. We are also blessed with great employees that "hold the fort down" when we are gone. Cruising to us is a great way to get away from it all. No ringing phones and I leave the computers at home. We travel quite a bit, both land vacations and cruises but when we are home we don't go out a lot. I have friends who ask how we can take so many vacations a year. We own a retail business and work 6 days a week, :) at least my DH does, as opposed to a lot of people who work 9-5 M-F.

How do you afford it? Personally Ive very frugal with my vacations. I always shop around and look for the best deal. My last 5 day cruise ran me only 250 dollars and the 7 day i'm taking on the carnival in Oct ran me just a touch over 1000 for me the hubby and our little one, so average 325 per person for 7 days. I shop and shop and If I cant find the price I want I just dont go. :D I also book extremely early as to get the best room I can at the best price!

What kinds of things have you given up? Certinly not my starbucks!

What kind of jobs allow you to cruise in the beginning, anyway? I and my husband own shopping centers and run care facilities for developmentally delayed adults, basically we can choose to cruise whenever we want and how ever we want as it allows for a lot of free time not having to put in for vacation days.

I have always thought there was something really off about this poster.

They seem very needy:eek:

You know what else was somewhat odd? If you review his/her review of the Valor, he/she didn't say who went on the trip or never referred to a "wife"....everything was just "We" and "I". When someone commented asking about pictures, he/she said "too excited to take any". Riiiight. It's only your second cruise, first on Carnival, and neither you or your "wife" would take any pictures? Me thinks this alleged "attorney" doesn't know how to upload photos. :rolleyes::D

You know what else was somewhat odd? If you review his/her review of the Valor, he/she didn't say who went on the trip or never referred to a "wife"....everything was just "We" and "I". When someone commented asking about pictures, he/she said "too excited to take any". Riiiight. It's only your second cruise, first on Carnival, and neither you or your "wife" would take any pictures? Me thinks this alleged "attorney" doesn't know how to upload photos. :rolleyes::D

I know we are being bad..But I do belive you are right...:D

To many know it all posts for someone who has only cruised twice.

Just seems need to get a lot of attention.

Starts some of the weirdest threads...But worst I read them

Even tho I know they are going tp irritate me..lol:)

When someone commented asking about pictures, he/she said "too excited to take any". Riiiight. It's only your second cruise, first on Carnival, and neither you or your "wife" would take any pictures? Me thinks this alleged "attorney" doesn't know how to upload photos. :rolleyes::D

Haven't really seen any of his other posts so I cannot say he is or isn't strange; however, I do have to say that the pictures make perfect sense to me.

I have never taken a picture while on vacation...actually I don't think I have ever owned a camera. shocks people I know, but I don't see a need to. It could be that both him and his wife are the same way.

I know we are being bad..But I do belive you are right...:D

To many know it all posts for someone who has only cruised twice.

Just seems need to get a lot of attention.

Starts some of the weirdest threads...But worst I read them

Even tho I know they are going tp irritate me..lol:)

114 posts started, including a barrage of polls.

I cruise off season for the most part. I book ES when possible. I get stuck on a fog cruise and get a 50% discount off my next cruise. :D

I put money aside each month in savings to pay for my next vaction. I dont have much debt..mostly just my car note and the usually month to month stuff and I do make pretty good money so I chose to spend it on travel.

Archived