2012 - New England, Canada and Alaska?

MBMiner

It would appear from the 2012 European schedule that, after 2011, Alaska and New England/Canada sailings have been eliminated? Am I reading that right?

Bruce

Looks like it. We are on an Alaska cruise this year and, from the looks of it, it is far from full!

Per my TA, Alaska definitely a no-go. Don't know about New England/Canada.

We're doing Alaska this year...the Aug. 26 sailing out of SF. Can't get here soon enough.

You'll have to wait a little longer...We're doing it in May b/b with Miami-San Fransisco.:)

You'll have to wait a little longer...We're doing it in May b/b with Miami-San Fransisco.:)

I know, I know:D...don't think I could that long a cruise any more. Just remember that Alaska that time of year can be real downright coooool.

I'm not really quite sure why O had so much trouble filling its Alaska cruises. Perhaps because there are three luxury lines sailing there as well.

Do you really think that O is competing with Silversea, Crystal or Regent? That is the three lines to which you refer, right? We've done Alaska on the first two...much different experience than what one would find on O.

I believe that FDR thought that O would be positioned between the above three and Princess, HAL, RCI? and Celebrity? I think the last two lines will be doing Alaska this year...too lazy to look it up:D

All in all, competition can be brutal. Still, had the chance to do Silversea & Crystal...chose O...no brainer.

I'm not really quite sure why O had so much trouble filling its Alaska cruises. Perhaps because there are three luxury lines sailing there as well.

In my opinion, they dove in deep and could not find their way back to the surface, where they would be visible and attractive, through all the pre-conceived notions about cruising Alaska. I think they had a good product, and only needed 684 passengers at a time to be fully booked, and I think those passengers are out there, but were not aware of Oceania.

It was also not well supported by previous Oceania guests the way the more familiar cruises are. Many of them thought, "Alaska -- been there, done that", and didn't bother to find out about the great itineraries, exciting ports, longer cruises and the ideal cruise ship for Alaska.

I think that given a couple of more seasons, the word would have spread and O would have been immensely successful. The question is, should they throw mo0re good money at it, hoping that I'm right? Obviously, they decided to cut their losses and fold their hand, and I can't blame them for that.

In my opinion, they dove in deep and could not find their way back to the surface, where they would be visible and attractive, through all the pre-conceived notions about cruising Alaska. I think they had a good product, and only needed 684 passengers at a time to be fully booked, and I think those passengers are out there, but were not aware of Oceania.

It was also not well supported by previous Oceania guests the way the more familiar cruises are. Many of them thought, "Alaska -- been there, done that", and didn't bother to find out about the great itineraries, exciting ports, longer cruises and the ideal cruise ship for Alaska.

I think that given a couple of more seasons, the word would have spread and O would have been immensely successful. The question is, should they throw mo0re good money at it, hoping that I'm right? Obviously, they decided to cut their losses and fold their hand, and I can't blame them for that.

I agree, Don. I normally don't like to be the first to go on a cruise or even a land trip with a company that is just starting out in the area. I want the kinks to be worked out, so you will never find us on a maiden voyage. I surprised myself in booking Alaska the first season out, but rationalized that it was the last cruise of the season, so the Regatta would have several under their belt in the area and Oceania would have time to work out problems with shore excursion vendors, etc. (Also, it is our 20th anniversary and we honeymooned in Alaska). Oceania came very late to the Alaska game and had to compete with everybody, including their sister company, Regent. There original pricing was higher than Regent, if you consider the expense of the shore excursions and alcohol, so the initial "jolt" of bookings was probably a great deal less than expected. Also, so much of Oceania's appeal was in cruising to the more unusual ports and there is no place, other than the Caribbean more crowded with cruise ships than Alaska.

I think that it's simply a matter of pricing. The big lines all sail full but at a low, low price point and the two luxe lines, Silversea and Regent, both seem to be sailing full as well and at high, high prices.

Crystal is in the same proverbial boat as O, they can't seem to fill their Alaska sailings either.

Someone said that most pax who might favor those two lines have said "been there, done that" and I guess its true. Both Crystal and O have the best Alaska itineraries IMO but consumers seem to want super cheap or ultra luxe and not the 'tweeners' that O and Crystal are. And that's too bad for those of us who like the smaller ships without the exorbitant prices or dull personalities of the ultra luxe lines.

original pricing was higher than Regent' date=' if you consider the expense of the shore excursions and alcohol...[/quote]

Agreed, and we looked really hard at Regent, especially after taking a Celebrity cruise to Alaska and seeing the Regent ship docked downtown in Ketchikan while we were docked just a little too far away for a walking tour.

But, having been on Navigator (the current Regent ship sailing Alaska) and on Regatta, I can definitely say that Regatta is by far the nicer ship in terms of seeing Alaska. There is no forward observation lounge on Navigator, and the aft observation deck is tiny compared to the Terrace Cafe on Regatta (plus there is a disturbing "thrum" throbbing in the back of Navigator).

Unfortunately, only those who have sailed on Regatta know what a nice ship it is for a locale like Alaska, and that sort of planning doesn't usually fit into the typical Alaska cruiser. Sadly, anyone who missed out this year won't get the chance.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph, where did you get the idea, let alone the data, that Alaska was not well supported by previous O guests. Do you know what percentage of the bookings were from previous O pax.? Please reveal your source if you have one.

DW & I have been to Alaska 3 times ( going again on the 8/26 sailing) and would sail on O there every year. We've seen a large part of the world (34 cruises), and I can't think of a more beautiful I would rather visit every year. Europe? You can have it. They love Americans.... as long as we spend money, but, other than that, go home.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph, where did you get the idea, let alone the data, that Alaska was not well supported by previous O guests. Do you know what percentage of the bookings were from previous O pax.? Please reveal your source if you have one.

DW & I have been to Alaska 3 times ( going again on the 8/26 sailing) and would sail on O there every year. We've seen a large part of the world (34 cruises), and I can't think of a more beautiful I would rather visit every year. Europe? You can have it. They love Americans.... as long as we spend money, but, other than that, go home.

I completely agree with you, that is a strange statement to make without the facts. As a matter of fact I have been told by a reliable source at Oceania (Bob Binder) that Alaska is 80% sold out now. Our 4th time to Alaska and like you I could go every year!!

I am going with a group on the cruise before you and have lots fo friends going on 8/26.

Jancruz1

I have no "secret source" except comments made here on cruise critic and comments from fellow passengers in person. But, it's not really a strange statement -- if it met their expectations, they would do it again. Also, from everything I have been told, 80% is not profitable. Maybe there will be a last minute surge from newcomers who think that "last minute" is the best way to book. But, if Experienced Oceania cruisers were supporting it the way they do more popular (for Oceania) itineraries, the early bookers would probably have already swelled the numbers.

It's just an opinion, folks, no need to get so het up about it.

We are booked on June 7 Regatta to Alaska. :) Great itinerary. :) Eager to sail on Oceania. Looked on a TA website and they show 28 vacant cabins in all classes. Probably why O will not return to Alaska. :( Darn! We would enjoy Canada on O. Must be more demand for exotic desinations.

You know, it's interesting. Every day, I pull open the "Shore Excursions" subforum page here for certain destinations. As an Alaskan resident, one of those subforums I monitor is Alaska. Every day, that subforum here in CC has MUCH more posting activity than the other destinations, like Europe and South America for example!!!

I think that given a couple of more seasons, the word would have spread and O would have been immensely successful.

I agree with you there. I think they were not out of the box enough. I would liked to have seen more scenic cruising days...so much to see..and maybe some out of the way ports..skip Juneau, ketchikan altogether, etc.

And I think just 2 or 3 cruises instead of a whole season, but the logistics would have probably been inconvenient.

Oh well....I would have loved to have cruised with them to Alaska.

From our perspective we are DELIGHTED to catch a one time opportunity to sail again on Oceania - having loved our experience Australia/NZ in 2009. It's too bad that this is a one-shot deal, however, as Oceania offers such a great product.

• 3 months later...

Archived