Transportation to ny Pier from PA

hearts12

We are from Fort Washington, right outside of Philadelphia. I called three different car / van services and got pricing from $525-$600 round trip. No thanks..........we can drive there in under two hours and park for $230.00??? for the week

Try Daves Limousine in Northeast Philly. We always use them Philly to NY and back. For my husband and myself 210.00 round trip. Worth every penny.

Good luck :p

WOW

That is cheap, do they pick you up at your house and drop you off at the pier?

Try Daves Limousine in Northeast Philly. We always use them Philly to NY and back. For my husband and myself 210.00 round trip. Worth every penny.

Good luck :p

After reading the reviews on "Daves" I think will pass

Something I've done when driving from Wilmington DE to NYC airports is rent a car from any of the car rental agencies as a one-way rental, and just drop it off at the NYC airport. Voila! MUCH, MUCH cheaper than any limo or car service for that distance. I don't know how that would work for NYC cruiseport, but you could price whatever vehicle size rental you want and then call the rental car company and ask how you could make that work. Even if you had to drop the car somewhere else in NYC and take a cab or two it would probably still be much cheaper, and perhaps even more convenient! I know Enterprise advertises they'll pick you up & drop you off, that might be a starting point. Perhaps other rental companies do that as well.

If you work that out, come back & post for the benefit of others within driving distance to NYC cruise terminal so others can save $$$$ from this method!

Something I've done when driving from Wilmington DE to NYC airports is rent a car from any of the car rental agencies as a one-way rental, and just drop it off at the NYC airport. Voila! MUCH, MUCH cheaper than any limo or car service for that distance. I don't know how that would work for NYC cruiseport, but you could price whatever vehicle size rental you want and then call the rental car company and ask how you could make that work. Even if you had to drop the car somewhere else in NYC and take a cab or two it would probably still be much cheaper, and perhaps even more convenient! I know Enterprise advertises they'll pick you up & drop you off, that might be a starting point. Perhaps other rental companies do that as well.

If you work that out, come back & post for the benefit of others within driving distance to NYC cruise terminal so others can save $$$$ from this method!

The New York area airports are nowhere near the Manhattan cruise terminal. If you were to drop a car at LGA, the closest airport, the taxi ride from there to the pier would cost about $35. From JFK the taxi fare would be about $60, and from EWR, the only airport that might make sense for someone coming from PA (since you wouldn't have to drive through NY City to get there), the taxi would run about $75. (All fares are approximate, and I'm including an estimate for tolls and tip in my numbers).

Enterprise is not a very good option in Manhattan. While they do have a location near the cruise pier, the hours in that location (and their others in Manhattan) are very limited on weekends as they are primarily serving local residents who want to pick up a car there on Saturday morning, use it to go out of town for the weekend and return the car on Sunday evening. They're open approximately 8am to noon on Saturday, and 3 to 9 pm on Sunday.

The major car rental companies (Hertz, Avis) also have locations in Manhattan, but usually the extra one way rental drop off charges are much higher at city locations than airports, although it wouldn't hurt to call and inquire about the rates.

The New York area airports are nowhere near the Manhattan cruise terminal. If you were to drop a car at LGA, the closest airport, the taxi ride from there to the pier would cost about $35. From JFK the taxi fare would be about $60, and from EWR, the only airport that might make sense for someone coming from PA (since you wouldn't have to drive through NY City to get there), the taxi would run about $75. (All fares are approximate, and I'm including an estimate for tolls and tip in my numbers).

Enterprise is not a very good option in Manhattan. While they do have a location near the cruise pier, the hours in that location (and their others in Manhattan) are very limited on weekends as they are primarily serving local residents who want to pick up a car there on Saturday morning, use it to go out of town for the weekend and return the car on Sunday evening. They're open approximately 8am to noon on Saturday, and 3 to 9 pm on Sunday.

The major car rental companies (Hertz, Avis) also have locations in Manhattan, but usually the extra one way rental drop off charges are much higher at city locations than airports, although it wouldn't hurt to call and inquire about the rates.

No, I wasn't saying to do an airport to airport rental, I was saying rent near OP's house and drop off at the best location for the cruise pier in NYC, hopefully getting transportation from the rental company to pier...although 8 am until noon Saturday seems like it would work for a Saturday cruise, wouldn't you think? But if OP checks with the major rental car companies, I'm sure they will find one where they could pick up/drop off reasonably close to the pier and at worst, have to pay something for a taxi ride--or maybe get a free ride from the rental co.

We are leaving from outside Philadelphia to NY. We are taking the Bolt Bus, though. Leaves from Cherry Hill Mall and takes you to the Tick Tock diner, which is a very short cab ride to the pier.

Very comfy, wifi, and plenty of storage. Most of all, it's cheap.

Round trip is about $40 or so (for two people).

No, I wasn't saying to do an airport to airport rental, I was saying rent near OP's house and drop off at the best location for the cruise pier in NYC, hopefully getting transportation from the rental company to pier...although 8 am until noon Saturday seems like it would work for a Saturday cruise, wouldn't you think? But if OP checks with the major rental car companies, I'm sure they will find one where they could pick up/drop off reasonably close to the pier and at worst, have to pay something for a taxi ride--or maybe get a free ride from the rental co.

I agree you didn't say to pick up at the airport (in fact you didn't say anything about where the rental would originate, but I'll accept that you meant to pick up near their home), but you certainly did seem say to drop at the airport, citing that as what you do when you go to a NYC airport:

"Something I've done when driving from Wilmington DE to NYC airports is rent a car from any of the car rental agencies as a one-way rental, and just drop it off at the NYC airport." You then went on to say: "I don't know how that would work for NYC cruiseport, but you could price whatever vehicle size rental you want and then call the rental car company and ask how you could make that work," so "that" presumably refers to an airport drop off, because you had offered no other options.

I was just responding to what I read.

PS...a drop off Saturday 8 to noon works, but what if you're going on a Sunday when it's 3 to 9?

I agree you didn't say to pick up at the airport (in fact you didn't say anything about where the rental would originate, but I'll accept that you meant to pick up near their home), but you certainly did seem say to drop at the airport, citing that as what you do when you go to a NYC airport:

"Something I've done when driving from Wilmington DE to NYC airports is rent a car from any of the car rental agencies as a one-way rental, and just drop it off at the NYC airport." You then went on to say: "I don't know how that would work for NYC cruiseport, but you could price whatever vehicle size rental you want and then call the rental car company and ask how you could make that work," so "that" presumably refers to an airport drop off, because you had offered no other options.

I was just responding to what I read.

No problem, and apologies for the lack of precision in my wording and thanks for pointing it out. It was implicit (but perhaps unclear) in my posting that I meant a dropoff at or close to the NYC cruiseport.

Actually, the Bolt or Megabus is also an excellent idea for a couple or very small group without a lot of luggage and if DH and I ever sail from NYC we might do just that! Where it won't work is a larger group traveling together, because it would get to the point where the rental van is cheaper...I have no idea about luggage on these buses either, what limits they have.

We live 30 miles west of Philadelphia and last year we took the train to NYC at about 49.00 pp each way. It was a lot of fun and no hassle whatsoever. From the Penn Station it was a short cab ride to the pier in Manhattan.

Recently, on a Sunday.......

How long does the drive from Philly to the NYC pier take?

I MapQuested it (2 HOURS)...but that doesn't shed light on unexpected construction or traffic.

I'm wondering...if I leave downtown Philly at 10:00am...would I be in port by 12:00pm?

I'm hoping that 12:00-12:30pm is good enough for Suite Check-in.

I had used them twice before but not anymore. The drivers I had drove like they were at the Indy speedway. Made me way too nervous.

Bill

Thanks, they have something like 90 reviews and 75% of them are really bad.

Recently, on a Sunday.......

How long does the drive from Philly to the NYC pier take?

I MapQuested it (2 HOURS)...but that doesn't shed light on unexpected construction or traffic.

I'm wondering...if I leave downtown Philly at 10:00am...would I be in port by 12:00pm?

I'm hoping that 12:00-12:30pm is good enough for Suite Check-in.

I sincerely doubt it. I drive from just outside Philly to visit my mom near Lincoln Center in NYC, which I think is fairly close to the cruise terminal and the MINIMUM it has ever taken me is a bit more than 2 hrs. When i drove to NYC at that time of day on a Saturday I think it took 2.5 hrs or more, mainly because of Lincoln Tunnel traffic. I'd allow a minimum of 3 hrs because you never know what you will run into, and if you are early, it's better than being late!

Where in PA are you? We use J&J transportation and they are good but they run out of Allentown.

We're working on transportation from Allentown. J&J quoted us 267.42 each way for 7 people. Cheaper to drive and leave the van for a week. We'll probably be going that route.

No problem, and apologies for the lack of precision in my wording and thanks for pointing it out. It was implicit (but perhaps unclear) in my posting that I meant a dropoff at or close to the NYC cruiseport.

Actually, the Bolt or Megabus is also an excellent idea for a couple or very small group without a lot of luggage and if DH and I ever sail from NYC we might do just that! Where it won't work is a larger group traveling together, because it would get to the point where the rental van is cheaper...I have no idea about luggage on these buses either, what limits they have.

Not only is there no need for you to apologize, I thoroughly appreciate the honesty of your response!

• 10 months later...
We have taken train to Penn Station and then 10-min cab to Manhattan cruise terminal. Schedules are always an issue with public transport, but if the timing works for you, the rest is pretty cheap and easy.

Any problem with luggage on the train? They say on their website it all must fit in the overhead space-there is no way our bags would fit there-we are bringing a 30" rolling bag and one or two small carry ons. Possibly a garment bag-but not sure yet.

I live in Philly. When the 2 of us go to NY we take the Greyhound bus from the Mount Laurel station. It's located on RT 73 just before the turnpike. They offer free parking in a secured lot for the duration of your trip. There is plenty of storage on the bus for your luggage. The train you have to carry on your own luggage. I don't remember the cost but it was very resonable. Cab fare in NY was around $10 to the pier.

I live in Philly. When the 2 of us go to NY we take the Greyhound bus from the Mount Laurel station. It's located on RT 73 just before the turnpike. They offer free parking in a secured lot for the duration of your trip. There is plenty of storage on the bus for your luggage. The train you have to carry on your own luggage. I don't remember the cost but it was very reasonable. Cab fare in NY was around $10 to the pier.

Mt Laurel is a about 32 miles south of us, which really isn't too bad.

The train would be perfect as the station is only about 10 minutes away but I just don't know if they have room to store the large bag. I can't remember what the NE Corridor train looks like. I keep getting the SEPTA train stuck in my head.

Archived