Just Booked Radiance of the Seas

~~ Waving ~~

Hi Stu ... long time no chat ;)

Good on you for branching out. As you can see my first RCI cruise is coming up in December this year :D

I've heard many good reports about Rhapsody and all the RCI ships. You'll have a ball!!

HI Moira,

Good to see you again too.

I can see that when it comes to trying RCI for the first time you've decided that size does matter!

I have mixed feelings about the Oasis and the Allure. I'd be concerned that I'd feel like I was cruising in a shopping mall.

Then again, when we first discussed cruising my partner and I thought we couldn't cope with cruising on anything bigger than the Pacific Princess. Those other ships would be too big with way too many people.

So what happened, we chose the Diamond Princess and of course haven't looked back so I will wait with interest for your report.

For us the Radiance is going to be a slight step down size-wise so I wonder if I will notice the difference.

On our last cruise we had a couple of tender ports and certainly the Diamond did struggle to get us all off in a timely manner. Our Radiance cruise has 4 tender ports so we'll see if they can get us ashore in a more timely manner.

There seems to be an endless variety of cabins on the Oasis. What have you gone for?

cheers

Stu

Hi Stu,

In picking the ship, the first consideration had been the destination – Caribbean – as that was on my travel list :)

Then I had to decide on a port which was fairly accessible with a choice of cruises – hence Fort Lauderdale.

From there it was a matter of picking one or two cruises and the age of passengers on a longer Princess cruise was a deterrent, especially as I am taking my (by then) 17 year old daughter! ;)

Then I had to work out by itinerary, ship, dates how I could work two cruises with different destinations.

So I plumped for the Oasis and then a week or so later found the Solstice cruise fitted in well – one day between the two to take a breath.

On Oasis I decided on a D7 balcony on Deck 11 towards the aft. It was the same price as a Boardwalk Balcony but did not fancy the idea of seeing into the opposite cabins and any noise late at night. Plus I wanted to enjoy the ocean view first hand. I also found out there is not much difference between the D3 to D7 categories except some have adjoining doors and quite a few $$$.

The Oasis will be an experience and not sure yet if it will be too full on, we have to wait and see. The following week on X Solstice I am sure will change my cruising habits. Also have a great roll call going on that cruise. The one on Oasis has a fair few people but is a bit quiet. So all round it will be an interesting trip to compare quality to quantity :D

The Rhapsody is a beautiful ship, but I am really excited to try Radiance. The pictures I have seen of her look amazing.

Hi Cheryl

I just booked the same cruise as you :).

The Rhapsody is a beautiful ship, but I am really excited to try Radiance. The pictures I have seen of her look amazing.

Hi Cheryl,

We are on this cruise too, and we might finally get to meet considering we only live a few streets away from each other.:D

Jackie

Hi Cheryl,

We are on this cruise too, and we might finally get to meet considering we only live a few streets away from each other.:D

Jackie

Jackie that's wonderful, my son 18 (at time of cruise), my sister and brother in law are also coming. It may turn out we all know each other, lol. How hot has it been!!

Hi Stu,

In picking the ship, the first consideration had been the destination – Caribbean – as that was on my travel list :)

Then I had to decide on a port which was fairly accessible with a choice of cruises – hence Fort Lauderdale.

From there it was a matter of picking one or two cruises and the age of passengers on a longer Princess cruise was a deterrent, especially as I am taking my (by then) 17 year old daughter! ;)

Then I had to work out by itinerary, ship, dates how I could work two cruises with different destinations.

So I plumped for the Oasis and then a week or so later found the Solstice cruise fitted in well – one day between the two to take a breath.

On Oasis I decided on a D7 balcony on Deck 11 towards the aft. It was the same price as a Boardwalk Balcony but did not fancy the idea of seeing into the opposite cabins and any noise late at night. Plus I wanted to enjoy the ocean view first hand. I also found out there is not much difference between the D3 to D7 categories except some have adjoining doors and quite a few $$$.

The Oasis will be an experience and not sure yet if it will be too full on, we have to wait and see. The following week on X Solstice I am sure will change my cruising habits. Also have a great roll call going on that cruise. The one on Oasis has a fair few people but is a bit quiet. So all round it will be an interesting trip to compare quality to quantity :D

Moira, I'm jealous that you are going to experience two of the most recently built ships in a two week period. Can't wait to hear all about it especially as the Solstice is due here next week.

We were planning a Panama Canal cruise next January but when the cost of the air fare was more than the cruise and seeing we have had a big cruise already this year, we decided to look closer to home and hence the Radiance.

I'm sure you are going to have a fantastic time.

cheers

Stu

We too are booked on the Radiance on her first sailing out of Sydney around to Perth 15/10/11, we are so looking forward to her as its also our first time in a balcony cabin. There are so many Americans coming on the ship from the States and doing a few b2b.

stevo

We too are booked on the Radiance on her first sailing out of Sydney around to Perth 15/10/11, we are so looking forward to her as its also our first time in a balcony cabin. There are so many Americans coming on the ship from the States and doing a few b2b.

stevo

We would love to be doing that one but we have to cruise in the school holidays, at least for the next few years.

Very envious,

Paul

HI Moira,

Good to see you again too.

I can see that when it comes to trying RCI for the first time you've decided that size does matter!

I have mixed feelings about the Oasis and the Allure. I'd be concerned that I'd feel like I was cruising in a shopping mall.

Then again, when we first discussed cruising my partner and I thought we couldn't cope with cruising on anything bigger than the Pacific Princess. Those other ships would be too big with way too many people.

So what happened, we chose the Diamond Princess and of course haven't looked back so I will wait with interest for your report.

For us the Radiance is going to be a slight step down size-wise so I wonder if I will notice the difference.

On our last cruise we had a couple of tender ports and certainly the Diamond did struggle to get us all off in a timely manner. Our Radiance cruise has 4 tender ports so we'll see if they can get us ashore in a more timely manner.

There seems to be an endless variety of cabins on the Oasis. What have you gone for?

cheers

Stu

On our trip On Radiance in Alaska we had to tender at Icy Strait Point and there was no problem at all getting on to shore and then back to the ship.You wont have any problems i dont think.

We sailed on Rhapsody in February and you will pleased to know they have removed the 15% gratuities from the bars for Australian sailings so presume the same will happen when Radiance comes down. :)

Example of prices in USD a Tooheys New stubby was $4.50, frozen Margarita was $7.00 (Schooner Bar) and $7.75 (Pool Bar) :confused:, cocktail of the day was $6.25 (I think).

Hey Merrilyn, dont forget about the $8.25 Long Island iced teas, so much booze in them they would make a wino drunk :p

I`d love to try Radiance, but we have decided to take a break from cruising and go to UK/Europe for our next holiday...although the 2 night Radiance cruise to nowhere looks very tempting....i wonder if prices will come down? :rolleyes:

Hey Merrilyn, dont forget about the $8.25 Long Island iced teas, so much booze in them they would make a wino drunk :p

I`d love to try Radiance, but we have decided to take a break from cruising and go to UK/Europe for our next holiday...although the 2 night Radiance cruise to nowhere looks very tempting....i wonder if prices will come down? :rolleyes:

The cabin we booked has now doubled in price :eek:.

WOW Rose that is fantastic, oh really great, look forward to meeting you xx :)

Yes, it'll be great to meet you too. I've popped into the rollcall but haven't registered for the M&M yet ;).

Hi Jason, didn't have the Long Island tea (not my cup of tea !!!! haha), all the drinks I had were definitely not lacking in the booze department, don't think they know what a measure is :D

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys, we have just booked a cruise on the Radiance 12feb2012, just back from the Rhapsody of the seas and loved the drink prices that much on RCI that we booked another lol;) the Radiance looks absoulutely gorgeous and we cant wait!! :D:D

cheers guys cya soon;)

• 2 weeks later...

Gee there are a few from here doing the week cruise on the Radiance on the 12th Feb....

There is already over 25 register for the meet and mingle so make sure you all put your names down.....

Look forward to meeting some new faces.

Can't wait to check out the Radiance..:D

• 2 months later...

We haven't cruised on Princess yet, but we did love the Rhapsody and the RCI way of things in general. The Radiance was meant to be our first cruise but we couldn't wait that long for her to arrive here!! ;):D

I have been on RCI, Princess, Carnival and NCL and I like different things on each of the cruise lines. I am booked on Radiance in November 2011 and look forward to all of the great views from the ship, there is so much glass on these that you can see out to sea in lots of places. Royal has a a special on laundry during the week so watch for it on the newsletter. You can stuff as much as you can in a laundry bag and they do it for one price, I do think they still have it available. This will be my first trip to Au and NZ so I am truly looking forward to the cruise. My sister and I have been planning this for a couple of years, but our children were getting married or having babies so we had to cancel, we are finally going in November, can't wait to see the beautiful countries.

I have been on RCI, Princess, Carnival and NCL and I like different things on each of the cruise lines. I am booked on Radiance in November 2011 and look forward to all of the great views from the ship, there is so much glass on these that you can see out to sea in lots of places. Royal has a a special on laundry during the week so watch for it on the newsletter. You can stuff as much as you can in a laundry bag and they do it for one price, I do think they still have it available. This will be my first trip to Au and NZ so I am truly looking forward to the cruise. My sister and I have been planning this for a couple of years, but our children were getting married or having babies so we had to cancel, we are finally going in November, can't wait to see the beautiful countries.

Should be a wonderful cruise on a beautiful ship.

Are you going to do some land travel in Australia as well or spend time in Sydney?

Archived