Recap of first-time-ever NCLer going on EPIC . . .

DGP1111

Well, I certainly didn't think it would take me this long to return to this thread and add a few additional this-n-that things, but after one hellacious week at work and then my faboo trip to Ohio, I got way behind on my To Do lists - - sorry.

Anyway . . . I'll try to do a bit of that now. :)

Took me 3 days to read this, as I read everrrry post by everyyyyy person lol.

I have a soft spot for sdmikes review... so not sure I can say yours is 'better' but they are pretty much equal. You were only on a 7 day cruise and managed to do all this.... I doubt we will have enough time for the 11 days we are on the Epic next month.. even better that is our first cruise

Rick: If I get a vote on it, I'm placing mine on sdmike :), since his was the first 'full force' recap, and definitely one I personally used in helping design my own onboard itinerary. His input was greatly appreciated

. . . Some negative reviews had me wondering about certain things with this ship, but your review totally erased my doubts and made me twice as excited as I originally was. So, for that, I thank you! I know the Epic will not be perfect (welcome to life, right?), but it sure sounds like this ship was built for my wife and me. We cannot wait! Thanks again for your great review.

Thanks so much for the kind words, and you may recall I earlier mentioned that there should certainly be some attention given to the negative reviews as well. What I happen to personally enjoy might not float the boat for everyone else. I gathered quality info from both sides of the review coin and developed my expectations from there. Perhaps that's also why so many things eventually exceeded my expectations. Hmmm, perhaps I should now say a big Thank You to the earlier Cruise Critic 'EPIC Eeyores'. :D

Don -

I just got done reading your recap of the week, and I have to say I'm jealous. While we also had an incredible time on Epic, you were able to sneak in way more things than I was during the week. Now I HAVE to go back and try again.

Right, you book a repeat cruise and blame me for having to do so. That's pretty slick. :D

I'll again echo what others have said... thanks for taking the time to post this very informative thread on your experience. Having it come from such an experienced cruiser makes it even more important of a read. I truly hope to sail with you (and T&C) sometime.

That would be my sincere pleasure. :)

No other cruise line has guests as 'sensitive' and easily offended as those on Carnival.

The cheerleaders on the CCL boards are amazingly sensitive to any one negative posting or comment on their beloved CCL!

:p Wow, I've never noticed that. :p Perhaps I'll have to pay better attention from now on. :D

Wow, Don! Thank you so much for your incredible, detailed, inclusive, effusive, ebullient post. I really racked my thesaurus to come up with superlatives.

And Thanks, Scott, for teaching me a new word as well, that I had to look up. :)

. . .Mike, between you and Don we have the best representation of this great ship. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to write up each of your excellent reviews. I'd love to sail with each of you one day!

A big DITTO right back to ya. That would be fun. :)

A big DITTO right back to ya. That would be fun. :)

Well, to you and Mike ... I am sure there are some staterooms available on the Dec 10th sailing:D

Thanks again Don! I truly can't say those words enough. I am so glad I 'followed' you over here!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :(

I'd done a complete quote post, and tried to submit it (10:18), and the whole site seemed to implode.

My onscreen message:

Troubleshooting has succesfully completed.

Problems found.

Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the devise or resource (boards.cruisecritic.com) is not responding.

In my best Urkel voice . . . . .

"Did I do that ????!!!"

steve-urkel-geek.jpg

.....okay I may have missed some but you get the picture! Will be SERIOUSLY considering a sea voyage on the Epic! WOW!

A decision I'm certain you would not regret. :)

Since this review is perfect... how am i supposed to do a review on our 11 day cruise coming up on the Epic? Everything is covered here.

What ever method/content you choose, I'm absolutely sure it will be greatly appreciated here online.

I know that I would really look forward to reading your perspectives. :)

I have become VERY spoiled. NCL has created a monster.

So understood . . . and I may soon be resembling that remark :D

I want to thank you and say that this is the first time I have ever gotten PCD from a written review. I feel like I was on that ship with you, and now it's over. :(

*sigh*

I seriously need an NCL cruise.

Thanks again

The pleasure was mine :), and Thanks for the kind support. Much appreciated.

I did not think we would either - until that troublemaker DON mentioned that he had booked this Epic sailing. Thus, we decided to follow his lead - and are VERY pleased that we did!

:D . . . . :D . . . . :D

Halos

I really liked the SUN, but I am partial to 'old' ships that still have that classic feel. She has a complete promenade deck AND you can do all the way around 11 deck as well. The observation lounge is great (if it will still be there) and I really like the stardust theater's curtain. Our team of stewards was great and so were all the staff we enountered.

Norwegian Sun is next on my agenda (October), and I'm looking forward to it. Although it's not totally out of the question to slip another one in prior to that. :)

. . .

thank you for a great review and lots of useful info for when I'm in one of the studios next month!

As the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary", but if it's even close to my experience, you will be completely pleased with 'Studio Life'.

Enjoy!! :)

Thanks again Don! I truly can't say those words enough. I am so glad I 'followed' you over here!

Well, to be correct . . . you didn't really follow . . . it was more like a 'push' :D :D

Again, sincere Thanks for making that happen. :)

While in St. Maarten, we were 'parked' next to one of the nice Celebrity ships. I'm hoping to get back on one of those somewhat soon, as I had a really enjoyable earlier experience.

1248735445_yEPmN-L.jpg

But as I was visually scanning all the attractive things the ship had to offer, I had a definite "What The Heck?!" moment, and as I squinted to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks . . . I came to realize they weren't. What I was seeing was actually what I was seeing.

I'd love to know the real story behind that decorative decision. :confused:

1248735236_5ZUyC-L.jpg

I also found a better picture of the basketball court up on the Sports Deck.

1248729494_Xevtf-L.jpg

I'd earlier bragged about all the quality directions/maps available throughout the ship interior. Well that was also the case up on the open decks as well.

1248737077_JRLAQ-XL.jpg

While enjoying the slide experience onboard EPIC, there are times when you can fully understand just how high up you are. Pretty dang amazing.

1248737406_HXy32-L.jpg

So that's why, when I went back up to enjoy a second 'slide day' later, I asked one of the crew attendants if anyone had ever thrown-up in the slide before. His expression changed quickly, and he said, "No, uh, not that I'm aware of. Are you feeling ill??"

My reply: "I'm just getting the severe heebee jeebees seeing you sit on that railing, knowing how far the fall would be. Someone would have to pick you up with a sponge, and this cruise would certainly be delayed in the process. If you'll please come down a bit, I promise not to barf in your water. I only ask because I really care. Deal??"

He paused a bit, grinned, reacted, and said, "Deal"

1248737253_VcVup-L.jpg

During one of the port days, the ship did a test of all the water-tight doors. VERY clear instructions were given to all passengers and crew onboard about what was about to happen and we were all instructed to stand well clear of the doors during the test.

Crew were stationed in many area to keep passengers aware and safe.

I was downstairs in the Studio Living Room watching TV. The doors on either side of the lower level were eventually fully closed. I walked upstairs and found that both of those doors were fully closed as well.

I was the one solitary soul in the Living Room during this test, and it was a little bit creepy to be cut off from everything else aboard the ship.

1248737899_4oiGR-XL.jpg

Test didn't last too long, but had there been major malfunction, there was plenty of food & booze available in there to last hours/days. :D

Hurray more photos and commentary.

I'm really looking forward to our Costa Maya port stop. We'll have the whole morning at the empty pools until our afternoon excursion.

Edited by mtb242

I'd love to know the real story behind that decorative decision. :confused:

1248735236_5ZUyC-L.jpg

LMAO!!!!! I swear that sometimes the people who do the design work on some ships are on some major drugs.

(Farcus comes to mind...)

LOL...I also love the barf comment you made to the crew member sitting on the rail.....pick you up with a sponge...LMAO!! :D

Edited by halos

I loved the detail and wanted you to know that your positive experience has again peaked my interest in sailing aboard EPIC and NCL. There has just been so many negative comments that I have avoided looking at this ship/line.

As an aside, I always read the negative comments to get an idea of the worst things that can happen. Of course taking things with a grain of salt and making my own opinions.

But again thanks.

There has just been so many negative comments that I have avoided looking at this ship/line.

I avoided NCL for years for that same reason, negative comments on other cruise boards here....then my DH found a deal on an NCL cruise that we couldn't pass up, so I thought, 'Ok, we'll give it a try.'

Our first shot at NCL was a 15 day repo cruise. I must admit, I wasn't sure after that cruise how I felt about it. It was very different having a new wait staff every night and I 'thought' I missed traditional dining. The food in the mdr wasn't as good as what I was used to getting in CCL's mdr.

But, we enjoyed other aspects of the cruise very much and began alternating cruise lines.....each NCL cruise we took was better than the one previous and all of a sudden we noticed little things that NCL did that other lines didn't and before we knew it, we became NCL 'Cheerleaders' (for lack of a better word.)

This year we cruised on CCL and then NCL 6 weeks later.

Having done both lines with only 6 weeks in between, we got a very good idea of the differences. While NCL seems to be improving, CCL seems (to us) to be going in the opposite direction....if not on a decline, I can at least say with certainty they are getting stale.

I don't know which cruise line you regulary sail, but NCL is definitely worth a shot. Obviously it doesn't work for everyone, but it is SO worth a try. You may just love it :)

... and before we knew it, we became NCL 'Cheerleaders' (for lack of a better word.)

Give me an "N"

Give me a "C"

Give me an "L"

I have also been carrying the flag a bit since our Epic experience! I keep one for Celebrity handy as well! :D

Tom

I avoided NCL for years for that same reason, negative comments on other cruise boards here....then my DH found a deal on an NCL cruise that we couldn't pass up, so I thought, 'Ok, we'll give it a try.'

Our first shot at NCL was a 15 day repo cruise. I must admit, I wasn't sure after that cruise how I felt about it. It was very different having a new wait staff every night and I 'thought' I missed traditional dining. The food in the mdr wasn't as good as what I was used to getting in CCL's mdr.

But, we enjoyed other aspects of the cruise very much and began alternating cruise lines.....each NCL cruise we took was better than the one previous and all of a sudden we noticed little things that NCL did that other lines didn't and before we knew it, we became NCL 'Cheerleaders' (for lack of a better word.)

This year we cruised on CCL and then NCL 6 weeks later.

Having done both lines with only 6 weeks in between, we got a very good idea of the differences. While NCL seems to be improving, CCL seems (to us) to be going in the opposite direction....if not on a decline, I can at least say with certainty they are getting stale.

I don't know which cruise line you regulary sail, but NCL is definitely worth a shot. Obviously it doesn't work for everyone, but it is SO worth a try. You may just love it :)

Started on Carnival, and now doing RC. I was introduced to cruising by my Father (took him 4+ years to get me on one) who just loves it. Of course he's never been on NCL- no specific reason. But I will look through the site again and see about making a reservation for next spring. Had to skip my planned Spring cruise $$$.

My question is how do the 3-5 night cruises on their smaller ships compare to this love sonnet of a review:)

My question is how do the 3-5 night cruises on their smaller ships compare to this love sonnet of a review:)

I can only speak for myself -- we took the Sky 3 night in June of last year, as I wanted to get a taste of NCL prior to our Epic sailing. We were in a suite on the Sky, so the experience was superior to many Carnival sailings we have had - though I was not a big fan of the ship itself. If you were in standard accommodations, there would not be a great number of differences between the Sky and a short Carnival sailing. The difference between the Epic and the Sky was substantial. We have not been on any other NCL ship, but I have read some nice reviews of them.

Bottom line - the short NCL sailings should make for a good time, but don't let that "make or break" NCL in your mind. I feel the Epic stands alone in their fleet. I look forward to what they are going to put together for their two new builds!

Tom

I am definetly going to be booking the Epic. I have cruised on one NCL cruise and I liked it but usually cruise out of Galveston to save on airfare costs, But feel I will have to bite the bullet and give this wonderful ship a try too. And Its all because of this great review Thanks DON and Tom -N-Cheryl You have convinced me!!!

An addition breakfast selection for topping your freashly-toasted bagel . . .

1215508367_cqeAE-L.jpg

There were even light breakfast selections back at Spice H2O, at the rear of the ship.

1215559793_o7fLy-L.jpg

And for those who've traveled on Carnival Cruise Lines in the past few years . . . look at this (below), and answer the question, "What's wrong with this picture??"

1229281020_zuz2p-L.jpg

Yes, I know. Gasp! :eek: The serving tongs are in the wrong position. What a loser cruise line NCL must be to offer their passengers the opportunity to select their meat products (bacon in particular) for their breakfast plates. What's wrong - Can't you afford the "Bacon Police" who will properly plop two wet slices of bacon on your plate, and then grimmace if you request a third?? You're gonna go broke, NCL. You're gonna go broke.

[ please tell me you got the complete sarcasm in that last bit ] :p

Hey Don

I am just on the 3 page... but had to stop... My co-workers think I have issues anyway... but when I saw this I laugh so loud...I just got off of the Valor on Sunday... I had read about the "Bacon Police" but had forgot about it until breakfast...the 1st day my daughter-n-law did not have an encounter with the "BP" she was able to reach back in the back and get the tongs and get her own... she did not believe me until the next day... Hey "what's up with that anyway" ????

Was on the Epic in November... best cruise everrrrrrrrrrr... I was also in a Studio room... I was in 12512... You are a very badd badd person...

I am so mad at you with this review.... It is so good... that I am thinking of how I will be planning my next trip (hopefully in November) after I find another job.... My job will be ending in June (ish) July... But I have got to get back on the Epic... and after going Carnival last week... It only made me miss NCL so much more... I enjoyed my platinum privileges but I sure did miss that Epic and thought about her a lot... so glad I did not see her in any of the ports... they were a day ahead of us at each port... Hey did you have Natalie as your host for the solo group???

Anyone know the earliest you can go to the MDR? I'm trying to see if I can sneak in dinner before 7:00 Blue Man. I have 2 kids, hence the early dinner. I know I can also do the Buffet to play it safe but was curious about MDR. Thanks.