Recap of first-time-ever NCLer going on EPIC . . .

DGP1111

I agree! I will be stepping out of my comfort zone and booking this ship because of Don's fabulous review! Hope to figure out when he's going and get on that roll call. Best review ever! Don, your writing style is very engaging! Thanks.

I haven't been on Epic yet but I have a feeling that you will be very pleased that you did step out of your comfort zone and can't wait to hear about your experience after you cruise NCL. :)

• 3 weeks later...
1229174527_kj6Qu-XL.jpg

As you'll notice in the photo above, you arrive in the big bowl, and the momentum is certainly enough to take you in, at least, two full circles before you need to navigate your way to the entrance of that final slide drop for the exit. Easy . . . or perhaps not.

While holding carefully on my trusty camera with one hand (yes, once again capturing more video memories) I use the other hand to help propel myself to the exit slide opening. Not quite getting the desired positioning, I shift my body weight that direction to help 'nudge' it, and . . .

ooops . . . ouch . . . oh, crap . . . not good . . . help . . .

My inner tube stays in the big bowl, and I travel, head-first, through the exit. Yep, that experience is on video as well.

With camera held above the water line, I finish the slide experience to see Tom with a 'Wow' look on his face, and the next kid in line with a "Dude, where's your tube?" look.

Tube arrive shortly, and all was good. All in all it was a really fun slide, and I definitely enjoyed all three. :D

I was able to repeat all on the last sea day before that had to shut 'em down due to realy high winds.

Don, I'm only like on page 11? I think but had to stop here and quote on this one...I laffed so hard my little girl ran in here asking what was it? hahaha We are booked Nov 16,2013:eek: so far away but this review you have put together has made me so anxious and excited and happy we had decided to book on Epic. WE did Pearl Dec 2010 and loved it...previous CCL cruisers.....ok back to my reading!!!!!

Just stumbled upon your epic Epic review while researching our Sept 30 cruise to Bermuda on the Star. Immensely enjoyable read!

We have sailed RCI, Princess, HAL and Also CCL, but not for many years. Our biggest to date was Freedom of the Seas and then we sailed on NCL Dawn and were SOLD on NCL from that point. I never thought we'd consider a big ship again, ( too many people, having to reserve shows? ) but once Bermuda is done I am seriously considering Epic for 2013!

I love your positive attitude! Too many times we invest so much in our vacations, both financially and emotionally, that the first bad attitude or minor snafu encountered can send us into a tizzy and the vacation feels spoiled.

I hearby vow that on future cruises, when reality does not meet expectations, I will repeat this mantra: WWDD, WWDD ( what would Don do?) and have a smashing cruise!!!

Gotta always keep that positive "cruise attitude" when sailing....

We have all heard (I'm sure) some of the cry babies while on board....

What they are crying about, is beyond me...

I mean, any meal thatyou don't have to prepare yourself is great, right?!

Any room that you don't have to clean yourself, is wonderful, huh??

There are plently of food choices on board, so If you can't find something that you enjoy, I really feel sorry for you......(Your issues probably go much deeper.)

Treat people as YOU would expect to be treated, and watch the smiles all around.

So we'll quote the lyrics from a famous man, Micheal Jackson........

...."If you want to make the world a better place, just look at yourself, and make a change".

Nothing in life is 100%......except dying, that is, so when life sends lemons your way.........MAKE LEMONADE!!

Besides, with the money spent on a cruise, you might as well be happy about it.

Looking forward to Another Wonderful Norwegian Cruise.........

Ismay:D

I agree! I will be stepping out of my comfort zone and booking this ship because of Don's fabulous review! Hope to figure out when he's going and get on that roll call. Best review ever! Don, your writing style is very engaging! Thanks.

You wont at all be disappointed! As you can see I am a mainly Carnival cruiser as well and NCL Epic was light years ahead of Carnival in terms of absolutely everything. With the recent Carnival cutbacks, its night and day. They run a much more efficient ship. I never experienced a line of more than 3 in the buffet area even with 4000 people onboard. We made all our reservations on the ship not ahead of time and still got our requested dining times each night. Yes it costs more, but not much if it's offseason. It was hands down my favorite cruise ever.

A link to your post popped up in another thread...Just wanted to say thanks for the wonderful review and sharing your experiences and pictures. It brought back fond memories of my cruise on the Epic. I had also intentionally passed on some activities preferring to take things slow rather than try everything. With your review I don't feel I missed out on anything. I'm fond of the smaller NCL ships but I'm looking forward to the maiden voyage of the Breakaway with a fresh enthusiasm.

P.S. Other cruise lines have Bacon Police?!?! :eek:

I support the Blue Dot and Freebacon Cruising!!!

Edited by kylenyc

Was wondering is the infamous "Mr Don", or anyone else for that matter, can enlighten us with any "visual" information in reference to the 2 Bedroom Villa's on the 17th Deck. I have read where the Balcony is smaller than desired, but I was wondering about that "other bedroom."

Two of us are already booked into one of these Haven Suites for a future sailing, but we were wondering how comfortable that other bedroom may be.

We have another person (sister) who always goes on vacation with us. She is usually in a room (single) down the hall from our Penthouse. Unfortunately, "down the hall" isn't an option on Epic this time, unless she wins the lottery, because as you already know, no "balcony" staterooms are located in the Haven.

I certainly don't have an issue with having my sister stay in the same suite as us, but I would certainly want her to be comfortable in that extra bedroom, and hope that it isn't something like a pull out couch.

If anyone has any guidance in reference to this, or actually experienced one of these suites, we would certainly appreciate the insight.

Hope all is well with everyone....

Ismay.:D

Was wondering is the infamous "Mr Don", or anyone else for that matter, can enlighten us with any "visual" information in reference to the 2 Bedroom Villa's on the 17th Deck. I have read where the Balcony is smaller than desired, but I was wondering about that "other bedroom."

Two of us are already booked into one of these Haven Suites for a future sailing, but we were wondering how comfortable that other bedroom may be.

We have another person (sister) who always goes on vacation with us. She is usually in a room (single) down the hall from our Penthouse. Unfortunately, "down the hall" isn't an option on Epic this time, unless she wins the lottery, because as you already know, no "balcony" staterooms are located in the Haven.

I certainly don't have an issue with having my sister stay in the same suite as us, but I would certainly want her to be comfortable in that extra bedroom, and hope that it isn't something like a pull out couch.

If anyone has any guidance in reference to this, or actually experienced one of these suites, we would certainly appreciate the insight.

We stayed in 17018 on two occasions. The balcony, considering the cost of the cabin, is a joke. Just room out there for two chairs and a small table. A lounger would take up most of the balcony! The second room is quite small, but works well for two children or a single adult. There is a couch which converts to a (roughly) full size bed, but I don't recall that it's like a typical fold out couch - more comfortable according to my son (20). Having its own bathroom w/shower makes all the difference.

Just accept the fact that the balcony is the weakest link in that cabin, and enjoy the cabin and the Haven to the fullest. I'm sure it will work out well and you'll have a great time!

Tom

Tom...

Thank You for the information..........

I too, wish the balcony was bigger, as we do enjoy our times out there.

I'm still "waying" my thoughts about actually spending the extra $$ and going all out and getting the Owners Suite with the big balcony.....

...but that room has its negative aspects too....

There is NO extra bedroom for my sister, and I certainly don't want her sleeping on a couch, no matter how comfortable it may be. Also, that Idea of overlooking the pool deck is not really my idea of enjoying my "sea days"...

So I'm still thinking..........

I'd probably just stay put and live with it and see what happens.

Man, would I love that Penthouse to be on the AFT of the ship!!!

I would splurge for it in a second!

Thank you, once again for the information.....

Hi -- my daughter and I had a 2 bedroom Villa and I took the smaller "children's" cabin. I loved it! It was small, but I slept like a baby -- and I had my own bathroom, etc. With the living/dining room, there is plenty of other space available. I was only in the bedroom for sleeping and dressing. It really spoiled me for "regular" cruising!!

Enjoy the trip

We stayed in 17018 on two occasions. The balcony, considering the cost of the cabin, is a joke. Just room out there for two chairs and a small table. A lounger would take up most of the balcony! The second room is quite small, but works well for two children or a single adult. There is a couch which converts to a (roughly) full size bed, but I don't recall that it's like a typical fold out couch - more comfortable according to my son (20). Having its own bathroom w/shower makes all the difference.

Just accept the fact that the balcony is the weakest link in that cabin, and enjoy the cabin and the Haven to the fullest. I'm sure it will work out well and you'll have a great time!

Tom

I really hate that NCL balconies (for the most part) are SO damned small. It's one of the few imperfections I have found with their ships but a BIG one.

I really hate that NCL balconies (for the most part) are SO damned small. It's one of the few imperfections I have found with their ships but a BIG one.

Yes indeed. Celebrity, on the other had, tends to have some spacious balconies - at least in the suites.

There are a few cabins where Carnival doles out a good bit of balcony real estate - the aft corner VS cabins on the Spirit class ships for example. Deck 4, here we come... well, in October at any rate! (Don, sure you don't want to come along? LOL)! :D

Tom

Try this out: It's one floor down, but an absolutely great Video. It's 13 minutes long!

Good video tour of S4 stateroom #16009 and Haven tour:

I have just booked my family of 11 into 5 staterooms on the Epic, largely due to this review! I was wavering between the Epic and Pearl and this really sold me on the Epic.

None of us has ever cruised before and my step-mom is taking our whole family (and a few others!) on a "once in a lifetime" vacation next January.

I'm super excited! Now that I have the cruise booked, next step is figuring out a way to get us all to Miami!!!

I have just booked my family of 11 into 5 staterooms on the Epic, largely due to this review! I was wavering between the Epic and Pearl and this really sold me on the Epic.

None of us has ever cruised before and my step-mom is taking our whole family (and a few others!) on a "once in a lifetime" vacation next January.

I'm super excited! Now that I have the cruise booked, next step is figuring out a way to get us all to Miami!!!

I have been on the Pearl as well, and REALLY enjoyed the Epic much more. Of course, our sailing on the Pearl was only a two night cruise!

ENJOY!!

Tom

.......And Thank You to all who have given us the information about the 2 Bedroom Villas!!

We do enjoy our balconies so much......what a shame the Epic seems to be a little "lost" in this category.

That being said......it will NEVER sway us from sailing NCL. It will always be our first choice when determining our itinerary.

Everyone has their "favorites" for their own special reasons, and ours is simply for the service we receive from the staff, both before and during the cruise.

We have sailed other lines before, and had a great time on all of them. We have no (real) complaints to speak of in regards to them. We just prefer to sail NCL.

We did have one of those AFT balconies on the Carnival Legend, back in 2004......you wanna talk about big??? Man what a party you could have out there. (and we did). The room was kinda odd, and you would have to experience it to see what I mean.

and......

God rest her soul, the famous NCL Norway......That was a balcony to die for.......it was bigger than the suite........and that suite was hugh!

We did have one of those AFT balconies on the Carnival Legend, back in 2004......you wanna talk about big??? Man what a party you could have out there. (and we did). The room was kinda odd, and you would have to experience it to see what I mean.

OH yes... the Legend! Heading back in about two months -- to our favorite aft corner! :D

46462816_2cSur-L.jpg

Tom