Not so "LIVE" Allure of the Seas Review with PIX!

Thank you again for your thoughts and pictures.

A few questions that popped into my head: ;)

Do you recall if they had the Q&A session with the captain and other members of his staff? I usually try to attend those sessions and find them very interesting.

Do they still have trivia? I have played a few times (usually held in the schooner bar).

Did the tvs show what was being served in the MDR that evening? My daughter would always check outside the MDR where they would post the menu. But I think last year they didn't do that? I would like to try Giovannis one night but haven't made reservations yet. Hoping I can do that onboard.

I'm so happy to hear they had mini cupcakes...the others looked so large and that would be a major bummer if it didn't taste good. :eek:

I am trying to soak up as much information as I can before going on this trip. Can't wait until my countdown is single digits. :D:)

Thanks again.

Michele,

Great review! I feel like I know alot about Allure, knowing that 1 wk isn't enough time to see and do everything your review has given us an idea of what we would be most interested in while aboard. We look forward w/ excitement to experiencing her first hand! Thanks again for providing so many wonderful details.....I look forward to hearing the birds and crickets. :)

MsSadie - you're going to love the birds and crickets! And go ahead and book a B2B - you're going to need it!

Ok, 2 suitcases are close, but not good enough We have two suitcases and I am carrying on a small duffel and my wife is using a standard airplane carry on.

I think . . . I am . . . going . . . insane

Just... wait... until... the... baby... arrives!!! You'll have double the amount of luggage - JUST FOR THE BABY!!!!! hahahahaha hehehehehe (You think I'm exaggerating? Just wait!!!!)

Sure don't think so. More of a closet planning fan.

Woo hoo! I'm smart!

I'm sure there are people with that on their resume that know less than you do already. So ABSOLUTELY! :cool:

LOL - I figured you were smart AND in the closet.

After talking to a few TAs regarding our fall family cruise, I'm sure you're right about the knowledge base thing. I've decided to book the cruise on my own, then MAYBE transfer to a (hopefully) competant TA once all the details are worked out. I'm just trying to get everyone a few perks to help those who aren't financially secure (think college students and new grads).

Thank you again for your thoughts and pictures.

A few questions that popped into my head: ;)

Do you recall if they had the Q&A session with the captain and other members of his staff? I usually try to attend those sessions and find them very interesting.

Do they still have trivia? I have played a few times (usually held in the schooner bar).

Did the tvs show what was being served in the MDR that evening? My daughter would always check outside the MDR where they would post the menu. But I think last year they didn't do that? I would like to try Giovannis one night but haven't made reservations yet. Hoping I can do that onboard.

I'm so happy to hear they had mini cupcakes...the others looked so large and that would be a major bummer if it didn't taste good.

I am trying to soak up as much information as I can before going on this trip. Can't wait until my countdown is single digits.

Thanks again.

Yep! Captain Johnny had his Captain's Corner Q&A session. We didn't go, but did watch it on our stateroom TV. It was a riot! Captain Johnny sure was full of himself with his answers. Maybe because it was his next to last day on board? I don't know, but he was a hoot.

They still have trivia too. It's easily located in the compass - just have to look for it as the times and places do vary. (Mostly Schooner, but OnAir held them too, and maybe other places?)

You know, I never looked to see if the menus were on the interactive stateroom TVs, but I believe I saw a post a while ago that showed a picture or description of this. So, maybe?!

They do have mini cupcakes! Someone posted that their 7 year old took 4 bites to finish one... UM, that would NOT be my 7 year old, that's for sure!!! LOL They are just like the mini-cupcakes you'll find in your local grocery. If they are bigger, then they aren't that much larger. The regular size cupcakes they sell are larger than the typical cupcake that I make. They are served on a plate, and you'll get a fork to eat it with. I hope you try one and enjoy it!

Are you a closet wedding fan, Brian? ;)

I spent a few hours reading CC wedding planning posts last night, then searched the web for private wedding coordinators. Terra wants to get married in Jamaica ON THE BEACH! She wants something very simple and laid back so it shouldn't be too difficult to plan.

I'm keeping track of my hours. Do you think I can add "cruise & wedding planner" to my resume? :D By the way, I never thought I'd be researching wedding planning at this stage of my life...

Michele,

Not sure if you've come across this place outside Falmouth already, or if it's anything that might appeal to your sister, but they do put on weddings. Check out their photos:

http://www.mytimenplace.com/

I've never been there, so I can't vouch for it, but I'll probably be checking it out in July when we stop in Falmouth.

Michele, I was going to ask if your little one was potty trained yet. We are getting there slowly but surely with our 2 y/o. ;) I'm just glad there will be the Nursery available just in case, although by Sept I can't imagine that she won't be fully trained (she's only in pull ups at night now). And not only AO awaits but the whole of the H20 zone!!! ;)

Curtis have a fantastic cruise, I hope you will come back and share!!!

MsSadie - you're going to love the birds and crickets! And go ahead and book a B2B - you're going to need it!

Just... wait... until... the... baby... arrives!!! You'll have double the amount of luggage - JUST FOR THE BABY!!!!! hahahahaha hehehehehe (You think I'm exaggerating? Just wait!!!!)

I have no doubt :D

Well, we made it to Tamerac (thank God).

1 big suitcase, 1 garnet bag, 1 duffel and 1 small roll on.

Headed out to Olive Garden in a few minutes, then off to bed. I'm beat.

Yep! Captain Johnny had his Captain's Corner Q&A session. We didn't go, but did watch it on our stateroom TV. It was a riot! Captain Johnny sure was full of himself with his answers. Maybe because it was his next to last day on board? I don't know, but he was a hoot.

They still have trivia too. It's easily located in the compass - just have to look for it as the times and places do vary. (Mostly Schooner, but OnAir held them too, and maybe other places?)

You know, I never looked to see if the menus were on the interactive stateroom TVs, but I believe I saw a post a while ago that showed a picture or description of this. So, maybe?!

They do have mini cupcakes! Someone posted that their 7 year old took 4 bites to finish one... UM, that would NOT be my 7 year old, that's for sure!!! LOL They are just like the mini-cupcakes you'll find in your local grocery. If they are bigger, then they aren't that much larger. The regular size cupcakes they sell are larger than the typical cupcake that I make. They are served on a plate, and you'll get a fork to eat it with. I hope you try one and enjoy it!

Thank you! :D

=QTMichele;28676610[/font]]MsSadie - you're going to love the birds and crickets! And go ahead and book a B2B - you're going to need it!

I sure wouldn't mind that at all but for now I'll settle for an annual cruise.....all ready planning cruise destination 2012. :)

Terra wants to get married in Jamaica ON THE BEACH! She wants something very simple and laid back so it shouldn't be too difficult to plan.

There are some really cute chapels in Jamaica. My DS and his GF want to get married at "The Wedding Chapel" in Ocho Rios ... Right at the entrance of Duns River Falls.

Michelle,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. The pictures make me so excited for our upcoming trip where my husband and I will celebrate our 5th anniversary!! October 2nd can't come soon enough!

Silly question, but can you tell me were the art sculpture with the hanging dresses is located? (picture shown on pg 11 of your review). I think these are just stunning and want to make sure I don't miss them!

Thanks again, and we will look forward to your next review of Allure featuring your children.

Keri

Michele,

Not sure if you've come across this place outside Falmouth already, or if it's anything that might appeal to your sister, but they do put on weddings. Check out their photos:

http://www.mytimenplace.com/

I've never been there, so I can't vouch for it, but I'll probably be checking it out in July when we stop in Falmouth.

Thanks! I'm going to save the link in the "wedding file" and share it with my sister. If you see it on your stop, then please let me know. :)

Michele, I was going to ask if your little one was potty trained yet. We are getting there slowly but surely with our 2 y/o. ;) I'm just glad there will be the Nursery available just in case, although by Sept I can't imagine that she won't be fully trained (she's only in pull ups at night now). And not only AO awaits but the whole of the H20 zone!!! ;)

Curtis have a fantastic cruise, I hope you will come back and share!!!

I was thinking how nice it would be to use the nursery, and I wouldn't have to worry if my son was potty trained, then it dawned on me. He's going to be almost 3.5 on our next cruise! He must be trained by then!!! I must have the option to have some adult time. ;)

Thankfully, he's shown some interest, but we are a ways away from being trained. My fingers are crossed for both of us. Our kids must be ready for the H2O Zone!

I have no doubt :D

Well, we made it to Tamerac (thank God).

1 big suitcase, 1 garnet bag, 1 duffel and 1 small roll on.

Headed out to Olive Garden in a few minutes, then off to bed. I'm beat.

Tomorrow is your big day!!! Have fun, take notes, take LOTS of pictures, and have a great time!!!

Thank you! :D

You are welcome. :)

=QTMichele;28676610[/font]]MsSadie - you're going to love the birds and crickets! And go ahead and book a B2B - you're going to need it!

I sure wouldn't mind that at all but for now I'll settle for an annual cruise.....all ready planning cruise destination 2012. :)

Ooh! Where to?!

There are some really cute chapels in Jamaica. My DS and his GF want to get married at "The Wedding Chapel" in Ocho Rios ... Right at the entrance of Duns River Falls.

Thank you!! I appreciate all the suggestions. :)

Michelle,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. The pictures make me so excited for our upcoming trip where my husband and I will celebrate our 5th anniversary!! October 2nd can't come soon enough!

Silly question, but can you tell me were the art sculpture with the hanging dresses is located? (picture shown on pg 11 of your review). I think these are just stunning and want to make sure I don't miss them!

Thanks again, and we will look forward to your next review of Allure featuring your children.

Keri

Your cruise will be here before you know it. I hope I was able to addto your anticipation. ;)

You won't miss the beaded gowns - the fill up the entire atrium! Just go to the elevators and look up! (or down, as the case may be) believe me, seeing them in person is sooooo much better than any photograph I have seen. You'll love them!

Just 300-something days until I cruise the Allure again! Will be fun to post a review "family style."

Absolutely love the Prius! We got it a month ago brand new (our first brand new vehicle), coming from a chevy equinox that got about 20 mpg. We drive about 25,000 miles a year (all those trips we take up to West Virginia to visit the wifes family add up ;))so with gas they way it is, we are saving about double what our payment is.

Yay!! That's my home state, where I live! :D

Is she a Mountaineer or a Herd Fan? lol

~Steph

Michele, thanks sooo much for your pics. Going on the Allure in 49 days, and can't wait.. my kids always cruised with us and loved it. They convinced me to do this one.. The ship looks overwhelming to me, but thanks to your pics, there are some places that interest me more than others.. thanks again.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 (continued)

A few thoughts about our cabin location... in one word: EXCELLENT! We booked a D8, forward, starboard side cabin near the elevators/stairs. The proximity to the stairs was great - so convenient. We were on deck 8 so we had almost immediate access to Central Park. WOW! It was wonderful to go from our cabin to Central Park and all its treasures (food, beverages, comfy seating, etc.). I would highly recommend this location!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!! ......so much for this review. Especially this part about your room location. I have 8562 and 8564 booked for 5/8, and I was concerned about this location. My initial thoughts were that it would be great to be so close to CP, but then after I booked I started to grow concerned about the noise level.

We've been looking @ the Southern Carribean, I'd love to visit Aruba and Barbados.

Me too!!! I think I've convinced my DH that flying into San Juan and doing a Southern Caribbean is in our future, but probably not until our kids are quite a bit older. We shall see. It's on my bucket list.

Yay!! That's my home state, where I live! :D

Is she a Mountaineer or a Herd Fan? lol

~Steph

Me too! :D We are Mountaineer fans all the way! :D

Where are you located in WV? We're in the Charleston area.

Michele, thanks sooo much for your pics. Going on the Allure in 49 days, and can't wait.. my kids always cruised with us and loved it. They convinced me to do this one.. The ship looks overwhelming to me, but thanks to your pics, there are some places that interest me more than others.. thanks again.

I hope you have a great time! My DH prefers the Mariner - though the Allure was too big. Not that he minded walking, it's just the ship felt, well, bigger. ;) I didn't mind it at all, except that I would prefer on this type of ship with my kids. Can't wait! (but I'm gonna have to - 309 days away!)

I'd love to hear your thoughts when you return. Please share.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!! ......so much for this review. Especially this part about your room location. I have 8562 and 8564 booked for 5/8, and I was concerned about this location. My initial thoughts were that it would be great to be so close to CP, but then after I booked I started to grow concerned about the noise level.

You're welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

We LOVED our location!!! I just booked the Allure for next February. My parents have the same room, and we have 2 insides and 2 ocean views booked in the same vicinity (deck 8 forward). I'm telling you, it's just wonderful! Being close to the stairs/elevator is so convenient, and if you need to get from forward to aft, then you can walk through Central Park for the ambiance (versus the long halls... and they are LONG!). Don't worry about the noise level - you won't have any, unless you hear the cabin next to you. NO CONCERNS!!!

I'm wondering about your bed placement as you have connecting cabins. I'm assuming one bed will be near the closet and the other will be near the balcony. There's a lot of discussion on the boards about which is better. I prefer to think of the positives with each one. ;) Positives for next to the balcony is that the cabin looks roomier and it's easier to access your closet. Positives for next to the closet means you have a nice sitting area next to your gorgeous view of the ocean. I wouldn't mind having either! (Not that you asked... I'm just voicing my opinion.)

Have a great cruise!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

The first view of the Allure was limited, but quite impressive regardless. I couldn't wait to get on that ship!

The shuttle dropped us off at 11:26AM. We dropped our bags off with the porters and proceeded into Terminal 18. Through security, check in, and across the gangway we went. Time? 11:36AM - TEN MINUTES FLAT! WOW!!!!! Such a great experience from the friendly staff to the efficient use of my time. ;)

We entered the Royal Promenade. This was such a familiar start to our cruise. It wouldn't be long before the famliar became new. And new again. And again. There are just so many extras that RCI has put in place on the Allure. Funny how this ship could feel so familiar and strange at the same time - in a very good way.

We started a mini-tour as we made our way to Central Park for lunch, but didn't get far. Instead, we took an elevator (what?! I thought we were taking the stairs this week in the interest of keeping our weight down?! Oh well, we're on vacation!) to the Windjammer. Our bellies were calling and the tour would wait until after lunch.

The elevator floor thoughtfully reminding us of the day of the week. It was very nice for the first day or two, then it was just plain rude by the end of the week.

196865_10150219003061164_502681163_9144685_483409_n.jpg

My first meal on the Allure of the Seas

199924_10150218999951164_502681163_9144640_763823_n.jpg

I've gotta tell you that my goal was to eat somewhat healthy (I caved by mid-week). If I would've known how good that apple pie-like dessert tasted, I would've caved on the first day. OMG - it was so good!!! I'm really not used to RCI making good desserts! The rest of my meal was decent too. No complaints from me, but, if you've read my other reviews, you'll know I hate to cook and rarely complain about food when others prepare it for me. Even buffet food.

A few notes about the Windjammer. The layout is different - there are two entrances, one on the port side and one on the starboard side. Both entrances lead straight to the buffet (mirror images of each other). We found seating along the sides and the back of the WJ. Although it feels smaller than on the Voyager and Freedom classes, we never had a problem finding a seat for the two of us. Personally, I like the setup better on the other ships - it just felt smaller and more cramped on the Allure. Not a big issue, just my observation.

As for selection, I was not impressed. Sure, there is plenty to choose from, but I think they've narrowed down the options, perhaps because there are so many other places to eat? Regardless, I expected just a little more from the Windjammer. The food was always warm and tasted at least good enough, but I wish there were just a few more options on the buffet. One example, there was syrup and butter next to the pancakes and waffles. I was looking forward to strawberries and whipped cream on my carb-induced-coma breakfast food - something I never eat at home, but they were no where to be found until later in the week. Maybe I just got there too late?

Another thought about the WJ, there were always plenty of staff walking around to clear the tables; however, they were not as helpful as the staff on the Freedom. The Freedom staff bent over backwards to get me a refill, give me a straw, etc. to the point of ad naseum. It was amazing service, and so unexpected, but very appreciated, from a buffet. This was not the case on the Allure. It was a pleasant environment with good service, just different than Freedom. Oh, and no table clothes for dinner.

Did a B2B on the Allure last week of Feb. first week of march. Thought the food shipwide was fantastic including the WJ. And as far as crew in the WJ they were there every sinkle day for my two weeks with water, coffee, tea, flavored water, juice, etc....:) Oh and tableclothes for dinner? Try the MDR or a specialty restaurant:rolleyes:

Michele,

I have truly enjoyed reading your review & looking at your pics. Thanks for taking the time to post. Some friends and I were talking about booking on Oasis or Allure next year! I myself have been a Carnival chick (only been on one RC ship-Splendour), but your pics have got me excited, and I haven't even booked anything yet!:o I am however thinking about possibly starting with a Freedom class ship first only because I think it may be slightly cheaper. Am I right about that? Oh and I think the RC credit card is a great idea. I may have to look into that too!:)

Did a B2B on the Allure last week of Feb. first week of march. Thought the food shipwide was fantastic including the WJ. And as far as crew in the WJ they were there every sinkle day for my two weeks with water, coffee, tea, flavored water, juice, etc....:) Oh and tableclothes for dinner? Try the MDR or a specialty restaurant:rolleyes:

I'm glad you felt the food was fantastic. I thought it was fantastic that I didn't have to cook for a week! But I was offering my own opinion, which in no way reflects YOUR opinion, so please don't be offended if we disagree that mine may vary slightly from yours.

As for the service, please re-read my comments. Our service was great! BUT, I was comparing the service from our Freedom cruise which was over the top exceptional. Others on my freedom sailing agreed, and said it was the best they've ever had. This doesn't mean that the WJ staff didn't bring us refills or straws (and more), it only means that their service was great and not "the best."

I could care less about table clothes in the WJ, but it is a big deal for some people. As you may know, other ships DO have table clothes on the WJ tables for dinner. Letting others know that the WJ on Allure does not have them at dinner time was done as a courtesy and not to get the "roll eyes" face. ;)

Michele,

I have truly enjoyed reading your review & looking at your pics. Thanks for taking the time to post. Some friends and I were talking about booking on Oasis or Allure next year! I myself have been a Carnival chick (only been on one RC ship-Splendour), but your pics have got me excited, and I haven't even booked anything yet!:o I am however thinking about possibly starting with a Freedom class ship first only because I think it may be slightly cheaper. Am I right about that? Oh and I think the RC credit card is a great idea. I may have to look into that too!:)

Get the RC card if you're good with credit cards. You'll get bonus points - probably equivalent to $100 - to use or save for a bigger reward. :)

Freedom will be less expensive, but is a fantastic ship and has recently received several "oasis" updates including the Cupcake Cupboard, 3D theater, outdoor movie screen, Dreamworks experience (characters, parades, breakfasts, meet & greets, ice skating show, etc), nursery for babies and toddlers, and more. This is a great ship, and will probably be the next ship we book for a family cruise.

I have a review of the freedom in my sig. They don't include the upgrades, but you'll get the idea. :)

Good luck deciding!!! Both are worthy of your vacation dollars!

Michele,

I guess I loved the beaded gowns between the elevators, too. We were watching a photo slideshow last night on our TV, and I must have 40 pics of that artwork. I guess I kept forgetting that I had already taken pictures of that area!

We're trying to convince DD's boyfriend to cruise out of Florida, so I'm going to suggest the Freedom out of PC. He either doesn't want the expense of flying or doesn't like to fly, so he just wants to cruise out of Baltimore. Not crazy about the Enchantment, but I'd like to try the Freedom and go to Key West and CocoCay.

BF asked why we didn't have any pictures of the food -- it never even occurred to me, since we weren't wowed by anything. I did take a few pics in the Samba Grill, but that was mostly of the dancer. ;)

Can't believe we've been home a week already! You're so lucky you get to go back next year. Oasis is definitely on our list, since we want to see Hairspray.

Archived