Print your own Luggage Tag - having a giraffe or what!

firefly3050

I wondered about this. We fly in a day early. If the airline misplaced your luggage would the ships tag help in getting it to you? I usually just print extra tags and take them in my carry on in case any are damaged in transit.

Some tag their bags before their flight, others don't. We have never.

Charlie

We always spend a few days in a hotel pre-cruise. I attach the tags the morning we head to the ship.
Same here. Always in a day early.

Only one time did we have a piece of luggage that was missing when we go to our port city.

Flying to SEA there was a piece lost. We checked in with the airline and they said to wait at the carousel for the next flight as sometimes a piece will get hung up on the equipment.

Waited and nothing. So we left our hotel information and headed for the exit. We were almost to the door when I heard my name being paged to return to the airline luggage area.

Our missing piece had been put on another plane when we changed planes in Chicago. That plane was also headed to SEA but left before us. Our missing bag arrived before we did and was in the missing luggage area.

Charlie

Sounds like a huge fuss over a few luggage tags where all you have to do is to cover them in clear packing tape to strengthen them????? Princess isn't the only cruise line now that you print your own. When this change first came about, there were tons of complaints about this until passengers found out it does work this way just as well as when they mailed you the tags, I thought we had gotten past that point, but I guess not.

It's really no big deal. If you don't have clear packing tape or lamination sheets, just cover them with strips of scotch tape if you don't feel they are strong enough to withstand the luggage transfer. OR, just pick up the old fashioned tags at the pier, stand there and fill them out, and attach them to your bags. ;)

I havent got a laminator, a laminate sheet, a hole punch or cable ties/stapler??

I don't doubt it does save Princess a shed load of money, but it's gonna cost me alot more than I get back to get these luggage lables suitable for carriage

When this was first introduced I half jokingly said that Princess would soon want us to print out our own dinning room menu... The tags do work sometimes as we have found out so make sure you have your own identification tag on your luggage. When one of our pieces was lost due to the printed tag being torn off it was sent to a sorting point where they determine the owner by the personal ID tags. They then delivered the bag to our cabin but much too late to change for dinner.

Quote fom Kiwipete -

Just print them, fold them then get them laminated, Punch a hole in each end and use a cable tie to fix them to your case. No trouble

I havent got a laminator, a laminate sheet, a hole punch or cable ties/stapler??

Quote from Sox Fan Cruiser -

Think how much money Princess saves by not sending everyone plastic luggage tags. Don't you think some of that savings comes back to us?

I don't doubt it does save Princess a shed load of money, but it's gonna cost me alot more than I get back to get these luggage lables suitable for carriage

It's not rocket science.

It's been this way for quite a while now on multiple cruise lines. You print the luggage tags out, fold them, and we just cover them with clear tape, which protects them and makes them stronger. You don't need a "laminator, laminate sheet, or hole puncher", or any specialized equipment. Nor will it cost you a lot more.

You don't have a stapler? Really? Then maybe you can tape them onto the handle. Or don't you own tape either? :rolleyes:

It's not rocket science.

It's been this way for quite a while now on multiple cruise lines. You print the luggage tags out, fold them, and we just cover them with clear tape, which protects them and makes them stronger. You don't need a "laminator, laminate sheet, or hole puncher", or any specialized equipment. Nor will it cost you a lot more.

You don't have a stapler? Really? Then maybe you can tape them onto the handle. Or don't you own tape either? :rolleyes:

Isn't the true question: Why should we have to?

I posted this thread a few days ago... Do a search for all the good info that I got.

I will say that the tags do work, and did not come off until I tore them off. And I put them on at the airport before our flight.

that said, I do agree with you 100%.

The bottom line is the bottom line. It may cost the cruise line 50¢ or a buck to print a sheet. Mulitply that times the the number of cabins, say 1000 (some more, some less) times the number of ships in the fleet (17? for Princess) times 52 weeks a year (some longer cruises, some shorter) is just short of a million dollars per year for Princess if it's a buck a printing.

Charlie

I meant to say that I posted this a few days before my trip of last week.

When I sailed HAL this fall I got proper luggage tags, so I do think that I have had differing experiences than other posters.

They are more than happy to waste a lot of paper sending me color brochures.

We have found using a heavier brochure paper to print works great. After losing a bag on a trip years ago (non-cruise-never to be seen again), regardless of whether on a cruise or not, print contact information and place in a plastic page holder and is the last thing placed inside suitcase on top before zipping up. If cruising put itinerary with date/port name and Princess phone number and hotel info if staying pre-cruise. As mentioned previously also carry small stapler for attaching cabin info at port and use it while on cruise. Each day throw all receipts in drawer and at end of day staple each day's receipts together. Makes it very easy to find a receipt or present if needed in case error found on bill if you think you've been charged for something that is incorrect.

The bottom line is the bottom line. It may cost the cruise line 50¢ or a buck to print a sheet. Mulitply that times the the number of cabins, say 1000 (some more, some less) times the number of ships in the fleet (17? for Princess) times 52 weeks a year (some longer cruises, some shorter) is just short of a million dollars per year for Princess if it's a buck a printing.

Charlie

I meant to say that I posted this a few days before my trip of last week.

When I sailed HAL this fall I got proper luggage tags, so I do think that I have had differing experiences than other posters.

They are more than happy to waste a lot of paper sending me color brochures.

We're sure all shareholders will agree with you Charlie but not necessarily all passengers or potential passengers. We find the request to print our own tags cynical considering the tons of glossy, coloured brochures printed on the best of paper (paper that surely would make a good luggage tag) that arrive at our doorsteps every year.

....snip....

Having been on many cruises, and having printed and used many Princess luggage tags with no problem, you really are obsessing about nothing. Simply print them as instructed and either staple them or tape them to your luggage.

If you are really worries about the tag falling oof and getting lost, simply print your itinerary and place inside your luggage in multiple places so it can be ultimately reunited with you.

Please don't let this simple thing ruin your cruise, it is no big deal.

Never had an issue with the tags, and I print them out at the same time as the boarding pass so it's really no big deal. I don't put them on my luggage until after my flight to the cruise port. I stay overnight at a hotel beforehand so I borrow their stapler or tape to seal them up.

Like most travellers, I'm sure you bring all the relevant paperwork, such as boarding pass, confirmations etc with you. Just add the unfolded sheets to that pile and fold and attach the tags before you hit the pier.

I also don't see this as cheapening things, it's a move towards more electronic/online documentation, and less overall paper waste (than the whole mailed items). I'll bet that eventually Princess will allow boarding passes on mobile devices, but I suppose we'll always need tags to get luggage from the pier to the ship.

You think that's the true question? Why shouldn't you have to print the luggage tags? You print your own boarding passes. You pack your own luggage.

Printing and taping luggage tags takes a few minutes of your time. I don't see it as a huge inconvenience. :rolleyes:

Never had an issue with the tags, and I print them out at the same time as the boarding pass so it's really no big deal. I don't put them on my luggage until after my flight to the cruise port. I stay overnight at a hotel beforehand so I borrow their stapler or tape to seal them up.

Like most travellers, I'm sure you bring all the relevant paperwork, such as boarding pass, confirmations etc with you. Just add the unfolded sheets to that pile and fold and attach the tags before you hit the pier.

I also don't see this as cheapening things, it's a move towards more electronic/online documentation, and less overall paper waste (than the whole mailed items). I'll bet that eventually Princess will allow boarding passes on mobile devices, but I suppose we'll always need tags to get luggage from the pier to the ship.

If they are moving on to less paper waste, then I wish they would stop sending me loads of leaflets,brochures I have not requested.

I dont see just attaching these paper things will last the journey somehow. Last time I lost the wheels off my suitcase, I have had a case split also.

Printing and taping luggage tags takes a few minutes of your time. I don't see it as a huge inconvenience. :rolleyes:

If you have a home computer system (obviously the Cruise Critic posters do) which many cruisers do not.

If your home computer system includes a working printer (not eveybody has a printer).

On the other hand, if you can print them out at home, the kit pictured below is helpful in attaching them to luggage.

133987418_Luggagetagkit.jpg.66c579fa37f06a52a7f58ed22c725a0e.jpg

If you have a home computer system (obviously the Cruise Critic posters do) which many cruisers do not.

If your home computer system includes a working printer (not eveybody has a printer).

On the other hand, if you can print them out at home, the kit pictured below is helpful in attaching them to luggage.

:D, thats about right.

Archived