Print your own Luggage Tag - having a giraffe or what!

firefly3050

If you have a home computer system (obviously the Cruise Critic posters do) which many cruisers do not.

If your home computer system includes a working printer (not eveybody has a printer).

On the other hand, if you can print them out at home, the kit pictured below is helpful in attaching them to luggage.

If the OP has a printer and can print out their Boarding Pass, then they can print out their luggage tags. The issue wasn't that they couldn't print them out. The issue was that they don't want to have to print them out. They want Princess to mail them luggage tags.

Hi All

But the bar code has even more to do with it,

No way Princess could send us all a luggage tag with our own bar code on

it, but we can print one.

Bar codes are progress.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge that the bar codes are actually used in the process of getting your luggage from check-in to cabin?

I've started to use a plastic sleeve that is sold just to use for paper cruise luggage tags. Works pretty good. I just print out the tags but don't fold them and put them in my cruise binder. We fly in early so morning of the cruise I fold the tags and attach.

Yes... just google: cruise luggage tag holders.... and look under FAVORS BY SERENDIPITY and you can get some plastic tag holder to use over and over... I cruise with a large group and bought them for everyone in our crowd...

No fret, no worries....

Yes... just google: cruise luggage tag holders.... and look under FAVORS BY SERENDIPITY and you can get some plastic tag holder to use over and over... I cruise with a large group and bought them for everyone in our crowd...

No fret, no worries....

AMEN! ( I bought 6 of those plastic luggage tags from favors by serendipity! they are awesome for a lot of things!) :D

Agree! Love those tags (thanks, PaminCa, from whom I've gotten way too many clever ideas!) -- I even use one inside the case with my itin because they can neatly tie around one of the inside straps and so if it comes to someone having to open the case to locate owner info, it's right there and hard to miss, unlike a random piece of paper.

Meanwhile, I thought the title of this thread was promising that with printing your own tag, you got a free giraffe. That would be cool -- although I'm not sure my living room's cathedral ceiling is quite high enough . . .

We're sure all shareholders will agree with you Charlie but not necessarily all passengers or potential passengers. We find the request to print our own tags cynical considering the tons of glossy, coloured brochures printed on the best of paper (paper that surely would make a good luggage tag) that arrive at our doorsteps every year.
Please...I was not saying that I agree nor disagree with having passengers print luggage tags. I was merely pointing out what I believe to be one reason for any cruise line to have the guests print their own luggage tags.

Perhaps the better answer to "Why should we have to?" is that you don't have to. You have choices.

• Wait until you get to the pier and fill out the tags that are available. You get to use their pen so there is no ink cost either.
  • Choose a cruise line that still prints and mails baggage tags.

The color brochures create revenue. I personally don't know how cost effective they are. But the luggage tags do nothing to increase revenue and are strictly a cost. If a guest chooses another line because of the luggage tag issue the ship will still sail full.

It's a point of principle. Sometime cruise ship companies can be compared to children. The more you do for them the more they want you to do for them...
Yes, it is a slippery slope. Next thing you know we'll all have to take a turn doing laundry on the ship:rolleyes:

Please understand that the above contains some sarcasm. I really never would have thought that luggage tags could produce a thread as contentious as this.

Charlie

To those who have no issue with these chintzy form of baggage tags, well just remember, on your next cruise when that filet you ordered is not as big as it used to be, well don't complain please!

The very airline like pencil pushers at e.g. Princess and Holland America are nickling and diming in so many ways and the baggage tag thing is just a small example of that.

Some of us just expect a little more out of life!

Worldspan

128 cruises

NO ONE and again I say NO ONE.....is forcing YOU to cruise. If you are that unhappy with the cruise industry.....PICK ANOTHER VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think most are just saying the printed tags are rubbish, doesnt mean we dont want to cruise, after all forums are here to discuss things.

It shouldn't, if you don't remove the backing from anywhere except where the tags are pressed together, at the end.

We prefer the laminated luggage tags because the stickers will leave a nasty, sticky, residue on your luggage handle.

Hi All

Printing our own documents , luggage tags etc.

Money has a bit to play,

But the bar code has even more to do with it,

No way Princess could send us all a luggage tag with our own bar code on

it, but we can print one.

Bar codes are progress.

Yours Shogun

“Progress”, that’s the problem. Many are resistant to change. If it wasn't for progress we would still be sailing TA's on the Mayflower. For those of you who are complaining about the glossy brochures, brochures generate sales. There is a return on that investment. Luggage tags are an expense. Personally I find the new tags more convenient. I don’t have to hunt down a sharpie to fill them in with my illegible handwriting.

“Progress”, that’s the problem. Many are resistant to change. If it wasn't for progress we would still be sailing TA's on the Mayflower. For those of you who are complaining about the glossy brochures, brochures generate sales. There is a return on that investment. Luggage tags are an expense. Personally I find the new tags more convenient. I don’t have to hunt down a sharpie to fill them in with my illegible handwriting.

All my brochures end up in the bin, thats just plain waste. Brochures should be sent when requested. I must get at least a dozen a month from cruise company's, its a pain, especially when I try to recycle my waste.

Anyway, problem solved, my TA just sent me paperwork with tags!!! :)

"To those who have no issue with these chintzy form of baggage tags, well just remember, on your next cruise when that filet you ordered is not as big as it used to be, well don't complain please"

Because we all know, that after cheap luggage tags, the logical next step is cheaper cuts of meat.

All my brochures end up in the bin, thats just plain waste. Brochures should be sent when requested. I must get at least a dozen a month from cruise company's, its a pain, especially when I try to recycle my waste.

Anyway, problem solved, my TA just sent me paperwork with tags!!! :)

I agree you should be removed from the mailing list if you don't want the brochures. But the fact that you book cruises is telling cruise line that the brochures are working even if you're not looking at them. I will take junk mail over a bill anytime. As a matter of fact 95 % of my mail is junk because I choose paperless billing to pay all of my bills. I can pay any bill except the water bill (wish the water company would move into the 21st century) through my smart phone or a computer. I am glad your TA was able to get you tags. Happy sailing

I agree you should be removed from the mailing list if you don't want the brochures. But the fact that you book cruises is telling cruise line that the brochures are working even if you're not looking at them. I will take junk mail over a bill anytime. As a matter of fact 95 % of my mail is junk because I choose paperless billing to pay all of my bills. I can pay any bill except the water bill (wish the water company would move into the 21st century) through my smart phone or a computer. I am glad your TA was able to get you tags. Happy sailing

I hear you but junk mail here is a pain, we have to recycle almost everything and trying to get of mailing lists, hmmmm, they dont hear me, LOL. I return to sender what I can.

Other than the cost of the cruiseline sending tags to everyone (which was totally stupid and expensive considering they sent to many and you had to fill them out yourself anyway) many passengers had terrible handwriting or put the wrong cabin number on them (they still do that when they fill them out at the pier) You have to provide your own pen/writing implement. I doubt there are any porters that carry pens, or are willing to let you use one.

The main reason for the printed tags was not cost, it was that they now had a precise way of identifying where the bags have to go. It is NOT the barcode so much as the preprinted name and cabin number that is very very easily read (the bar code is used on the ship, not often though)

Everything is E tickets now, flights, train tickets, hotels, car parking etc. When you stop to think about it, it's our ink and paper, not to mention time printing them off and sorting them out. You end up on your travels with a great wad of paper. Hmmmm progress?

To those who have no issue with these chintzy form of baggage tags, well just remember, on your next cruise when that filet you ordered is not as big as it used to be, well don't complain please!

I won't complain. I will just order two.

Have never had a problem with my luggage tags. Fold them three ways and staple. Never had them damaged.

It's not a big deal. Just print your tags and enjoy your cruise.

That's what we do - haven't ever had a problem!

I wouldn't attach them before a pre-cruise flight, obviously... We just print/fold them, pack them and then attach them with a stapler (courtesy of our pre-cruise hotel front desk) the morning we leave the hotel for the port.

NO ONE and again I say NO ONE.....is forcing YOU to cruise. If you are that unhappy with the cruise industry.....PICK ANOTHER VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is nice now and then to hear from someone other than a shareholder.

We printed off and stapled the luggage tags as directed and our luggage went from one plane to another in Buffalo and from Buffalo to San Juan and from San Juan to St. Thomas (but that's another story) and the luggage tags were in much better shape (a little crumpled) than my plastic name tags (cracked).

Archived