Where did the name "Carnival" come from?

The ship Carnivale? One named for the other?

Carnival's first ship was the Mardi Gras. From doing a search on the history of the name, the only thing I could find was that the owner wanted to make his cruises a "fun time" for his passengers, like a carnival would be. It never really compared the two but everything I found said that it was suppose to be a fun cruise. Carnival is a good reflection of a family having fun.

Best as I can remember, the Past Guest Party only refers to how Carnival got the nickname "The Fun Ships"....not anything to do with the company name Carnival.

Seems "Carnival Cruise Lines" was started in 1972 as a subsidiary of AITS

(American International Travel Service)...based in Boston and Mr. Ted Arison (who used to be with NCL).

They put the Mardi Gras into service with the infamous sand bar incident....

In 1974, AITS sold its full ownership of Carnival Cruise Lines for $1 cash and the assumption of $5 million of debt by Mr. Ted Arison.

The rest (as they say) is history....

Seems "Carnival Cruise Lines" was started in 1972 as a subsidiary of AITS

(American International Travel Service)...based in Boston and Mr. Ted Arison (who used to be with NCL).

They put the Mardi Gras into service with the infamous sand bar incident....

In 1974, AITS sold its full ownership of Carnival Cruise Lines for $1 cash and the assumption of $5 million of debt by Mr. Ted Arison.

The rest (as they say) is history....

The company's second ship was actually named Carnival. The wife and I were on it in 1979, our first cruise.icon7.gif

The company's second ship was actually named Carnival. The wife and I were on it in 1979, our first cruise.icon7.gif

Actually, they spelled it Carnivale. (using the same ending on the Festivale)

Sadly the only ship hubby never sailed on. At the time, it was only doing short runs and back then..hubby only did 7 day cruises.

The Mardi Gras was the first cruise ship I was ever on. I went with 2 girlfriends for a weekend thing. I had no idea at the time how much I would come to love cruising. I love the name Carnival, it just makes me think of good times!

Archived