Passport expired, government shutdown

FLOTR

I applied for mine 3 weeks ago and I leave in 4 weeks, I sure hope mine get's here in time.
I do too, but with your timing, make sure you have certified Birth Certificates as backup documents. The state governments are not shutting down, and you have plenty of time to obtain duplicate BC's.

I do too, but with your timing, make sure you have certified Birth Certificates as backup documents. The state governments are not shutting down, and you have plenty of time to obtain duplicate BC's.

I have certified birth certificates for my dh and I but the whole reason we applied for passport cards is that we are going on a cruise to Alaska and plan on driving into the Yukon. So I'll be good to go regardless of whether it comes in time. I suppose there's no point in wondering, I'll have fun no matter what!

I have certified birth certificates for my dh and I but the whole reason we applied for passport cards is that we are going on a cruise to Alaska and plan on driving into the Yukon. So I'll be good to go regardless of whether it comes in time. I suppose there's no point in wondering, I'll have fun no matter what!

You cannot use Birth Certificates to go into Canada. If your cruise begins or ends in Canada, you better hope your passport cards get here before you leave. The closed loop rule applies to the Caribbean Basin, not Canada.

You cannot use Birth Certificates to go into Canada. If your cruise begins or ends in Canada, you better hope your passport cards get here before you leave. The closed loop rule applies to the Caribbean Basin, not Canada.

It's a closed loop cruise that begins and ends in Seattle.

Whether there is a shutdown or not if you are applying after her birthday on May 6

I would pay the extra fees for expedited. When the summer travel season really heats up people realize they need a passport and processing times increase from 4-6 weeks to 6-8 weeks. If you go expedited you will have it in 2-3 weeks.

Good plan, thanks!

I applied for mine 3 weeks ago and I leave in 4 weeks, I sure hope mine get's here in time.

Me too! 3 weeks to the day! Ironically, we took our three kids to get theirs at the post office. The lady at the desk wouldn't accept mine because it is a renewal and she said it has to be mailed in. I sent it THAT day. My check cleared first, then a few days later the check for the kids passports cleared. Their passports came last week, and I still don't have mine. :mad:

We applied for our passports 3 weeks ago, all checks have cleared, and the passport status website still doesn't show our applications in the system. I'm getting so frustrated and concerned. We had a terrible time getting my husbands VA birth certificate (it was certified) to be accepted. We sail June 5. I am really worried that if there is a shutdown and we don't get our passports back in time, that my husband will be turned away at the port with his birth certificate. Urgggh!

If they can't come to an agreement and the gov't shuts down, I hop they don't get paid, either! They are like children squabbling in kindergarten. EM

Please do not insult the kids! We all know they're more mature.

The kids passports came last week and they STILL don't show in the online system. I just checked. Evidentally it isn't very up to date. :rolleyes:

We applied for our passports 3 weeks ago, all checks have cleared, and the passport status website still doesn't show our applications in the system. I'm getting so frustrated and concerned. We had a terrible time getting my husbands VA birth certificate (it was certified) to be accepted. We sail June 5. I am really worried that if there is a shutdown and we don't get our passports back in time, that my husband will be turned away at the port with his birth certificate. Urgggh!

I heard early this morning the good news and thought about all of you. I can absolutely relate since I was in the same boat (haha) 6 weeks ago needing to expedite my lost passport before my Paradise cruise. I would have been freaking out!

Good luck all!

... The closed loop rule applies to the Caribbean Basin, not Canada.

The closed loop rule applies to the entire Western Hemisphere, which includes Canada. Land border crossings (such as driving into the Yukon) are not cruises and thus do not fall under the closed loop exception.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived