Passport expired, government shutdown

FLOTR

Army wife here....Yes my husband called me this AM having a panic attack about not getting paid...till I reminded him that he is paid on the 1st and 15th and unless things arent worked out by then is the only reason for worry. Chances are they will be. I woulnt worrry too much about the military at this point. I worked for the DOD and I got paid the same time my husband did so I think those employee's will be ok too, as long as they get this fixed soon.

I do hope they fix this. I think it sucks for those who will be working basicly for free until this is taken care of, but in the end they will get their full pay.

I also work for the government and do hope they shut down. I plan on taking a last minute cruise out of New Orleans or Mobile if it does. As screwed up as our politicians are what are the chances of them actually doing their job in the next 48 hours.:D

This is at least the second time I have seen you post something to this effect. Why would you ever hope for thousands of people to go without pay? Seems a bit selfish to me. You want to go on a cruise so you wish for many, many people to go unpaid.

Army wife here....Yes my husband called me this AM having a panic attack about not getting paid...till I reminded him that he is paid on the 1st and 15th and unless things arent worked out by then is the only reason for worry. Chances are they will be. I woulnt worrry too much about the military at this point. I worked for the DOD and I got paid the same time my husband did so I think those employee's will be ok too, as long as they get this fixed soon.

I do hope they fix this. I think it sucks for those who will be working basicly for free until this is taken care of, but in the end they will get their full pay.

Oh. We still will get paid on the 15th, however the paycheck will only be half, since we will only get paid from the 1st thru the 8th. It is very really and we will told to already start making plans finanically.

/Active Duty Air Force

My DD's passport expires this month and I made an appointment a month ago to get her a new one on 4/9. Does anyone know if the processing will be slowed down if there is a govt. shutdown? I work for the federal govt. but I am considered essential staff. I have heard that staff processing passports are not considered essential. Not sure if I should cancel the appointment and just sail with her birth certificate.

Just wanted to add that we are sailing June 18

Not only will passport processing be slowed down, it will be completely stopped. In fact your appointment on the 9th will get canceled and you will have to reschedule after the fools in Washington get their act in gear. Oh wait, that will never happen.

Can anyone please tell me what a "closed loop" cruise is?

My husband and I were and hopefully still are going to go next week to renew his passport and get one for me, for our trip on Legend in August going to Cozmel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman could we still apply if there is a shutdown or do we have wait?

Thank you.

That is a closed loop cruise. Leaves from Tampa, returns to Tamps, and only goes to the Caribbean basin.

DH is active duty as well, and we were told the same thing. I feel for all those deployed whose families will be low on funds and mid tour leave canceled. It's funny how 2 weeks ago we were told a government shutdown would not affect military pay because it never had in the past. Obama and Congress sure aren't worrying about vacations and such on our taxpayer dime. :mad:

I truly think it stinks that they are doing this. I dont worry too much about it since I know it will be fixed and I also know that when it is DFAS will make sure that everyone gets paid. I know it will be hard in the mean time for some folks especially lower ranking soldiers with families.

And I also think that if the military doesnt get paid then NO ONE in the government should be paid either and that includes Obama, his minions and congress!

I thought you could sail with an expired passport....for something like 5 yrs or so....not true???
Not true. At least now. In years past, prior to the new regulations, an expired passport was useful as proof of citizenship, although you had to also supply a matching current government ID with it.

The new regulations did not include an expired passport as proof of citizenship.

Not only will passport processing be slowed down, it will be completely stopped. In fact your appointment on the 9th will get canceled and you will have to reschedule after the fools in Washington get their act in gear. Oh wait, that will never happen.

We are in the same boat with our DS - though we did confirm today you can still go to appt, get it processed and sent it - now, unofficially, we were also told that should the shutdown happen, it may be a good idea to it "expedited" - those applications will be the first to be processed.

We are travelling on the 13th of June, so still deciding which option to take.

From what I have been reading and being told, the passport agency is not essential. I have looked at cnn dot com and they have some good info. I think the IRS will be shutting down too. Good note is the last shutdown only lasted 3 days so we can hope for the best.

What really sucks is 800000 people furlowed and also the military will not be getting checks or be able to get home. So anyone in a war zone is stuck and not getting paid. And they can not guarantee if people will get back pay for missing days

What really really sucks is that the members of Congress will continue to get paid.

DON

I too am worried about this government shutdown, just booked our cruise last week and have an appointment to get a passport tomorrow, cruising July 23 and wondering if I will even get it in time now. Even though we could just use our birth certificates, I would feel so much better having a passport since we will have small children at home. Would feel terrible if I couldn't get to them in an emergency situation. Guess I better order another copy of the birth certificate, just in case.

My DD's passport expires this month and I made an appointment a month ago to get her a new one on 4/9. Does anyone know if the processing will be slowed down if there is a govt. shutdown? I work for the federal govt. but I am considered essential staff. I have heard that staff processing passports are not considered essential. Not sure if I should cancel the appointment and just sail with her birth certificate.

Just wanted to add that we are sailing June 18

It was just talked about on local news. They said if a shutdown occurs no passports or visas will be issued.

The possible shut down is so far postponed for 1 week.

I would certainly hope that Congress uses this time to come to an agreement!

Compromise is part of the discussion process!!

BTW most stories about the Obama's vacation mentioned that THEY paid for it themselves so that is not part of our budget prob!

The largest part of the budget is military spending and SocialSecurity/Medicare/Medicaid stuff.

NOT really easy to cut those things.

If they can't come to an agreement and the gov't shuts down, I hop they don't get paid, either! They are like children squabbling in kindergarten. EM

LOL! They are worse! I am a kindergarten teacher and that squabbling does not happen! They are more like squabbling chickens.

And thanks for bringing this up. Because my daughter is going to Europe this summer, not on a cruise but, this post reminded me. Her passport does not expire until September of 2011, but she was like 8 when she got it. Her birthday is May 6 and we were going to go ahead and get her a new "adult" passport(16) so she would have a current picture for her trip in July. We thought it was cutting it close getting a new passport in May for a trip in July, but this could be even tighter with the shutdown. Thanks for the post!

I hope you are right. My husband recently retired from the military. Plus he has a federal job now. So looks like we won't have any money (retirement or pay from his new job) coming in. :( To top that off our cruise is later this month. At least it is paid for...

I believe it is starting and finishing at the same port. Here is a quote from Customs.gov:

Closed Loop Voyages- Frequently Asked Questions

(12/03/2009)A “closed loop” voyage or itinerary occurs when a vessel departs from a U.S. port or place and returns to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage. Travelers on “closed loop” voyages are not subject to the same documentary requirements for entry to the United States as other travelers.

The tricky part here is that the above is contingent on the passenger returning to the port of origin on the ship, and not having any emergency where they have to debark in one of the ports and fly home to the US.

They can't fly into the US with a birth certificate or passport card.

Yes, I know, what are the odds of the passenger (or ship) not being able to return as planned to the port of origin ? Not high, but we all it know it's happened. :eek:

If this whole mess actually happens I have a feeling once everyone is back at work I will have to miss work and she will have to miss school so I can get their first appointment. Then I'll have to spend the extra $60 to expedite it.

I truly think it stinks that they are doing this. I dont worry too much about it since I know it will be fixed and I also know that when it is DFAS will make sure that everyone gets paid. I know it will be hard in the mean time for some folks especially lower ranking soldiers with families.

And I also think that if the military doesnt get paid then NO ONE in the government should be paid either and that includes Obama, his minions and congress!

Your anger is misplaced. If you want to blame someone then blame the voters who were foolish enough to put the idiots in the Congress.

I hope you are right. My husband recently retired from the military. Plus he has a federal job now. So looks like we won't have any money (retirement or pay from his new job) coming in. :( To top that off our cruise is later this month. At least it is paid for...

I believe that the retiree pay will continue to be paid as it is not from appropriated funds. I checked the Army dot mil website today on this. The federal job...well if he is required to be at work over the shutdown he will be retroactively paid. If he is not then there is no telling.

And thanks for bringing this up. Because my daughter is going to Europe this summer, not on a cruise but, this post reminded me. Her passport does not expire until September of 2011, but she was like 8 when she got it. Her birthday is May 6 and we were going to go ahead and get her a new "adult" passport(16) so she would have a current picture for her trip in July. We thought it was cutting it close getting a new passport in May for a trip in July, but this could be even tighter with the shutdown. Thanks for the post!

Whether there is a shutdown or not if you are applying after her birthday on May 6

I would pay the extra fees for expedited. When the summer travel season really heats up people realize they need a passport and processing times increase from 4-6 weeks to 6-8 weeks. If you go expedited you will have it in 2-3 weeks.

Two things for all the folks needing to submit passport applications:

1. Try and remember that the longest shutdown has been 21 days; many are in the 10-12 day range.

2. An application in line will stay in line in that same position; if you are already in line, it will get processed, perhaps taking the typical (for this time of year) 3-4 weeks plus the shutdown delay. But it will get processed. Expedited will jump to the front, but will still experience the normal processing (a few days to a week) plus the shutdown delay (let's say two weeks). Passports submitted non-expedited this week will likely be returned in 6-7 weeks, even with a shutdown.

1. Try and remember that the longest shutdown has been 21 days; many are in the 10-12 day range.

2. An application in line will stay in line in that same position; if you are already in line, it will get processed, perhaps taking the typical (for this time of year) 3-4 weeks plus the shutdown delay. But it will get processed. Expedited will jump to the front, but will still experience the normal processing (a few days to a week) plus the shutdown delay (let's say two weeks). Passports submitted non-expedited this week will likely be returned in 6-7 weeks, even with a shutdown.

Thanks for the info!

I applied for mine 3 weeks ago and I leave in 4 weeks, I sure hope mine get's here in time.

Archived