Have you experienced major changes to your itinerary?

trina2

Hi everyone.

We have just received major itinerary changes to our cruise departing June 2011 - Land of the Midnight Sun.

Every port (bar one - Oslo) has had its shore time reduced by between 2-3 hours, and one by 4 hrs. One stop was meant to be overnight so we would be able to make the most of the Midnight Sun. Now we are departing 11pm (8 hrs earlier).

We have also had 3 ports cut, to be replaced by 1. We have lost Geirangerfjord, which according to Oceania is the most beautiful fjord in the world.

Our cruise has increased its time at sea considerably. One passenger on rollcall remarked that if they wanted this much time at sea, they would have booked a transatlantic crossing.

Since nothing has been added, I can only assume that the ship will be sailing slower - to perhaps save fuel? Since no explanation has been given yet (a lot of us are trying to get answers), we can only assume.

Are there other cruises besides ours which have had shore time reduced, ports dropped (besides those where there is political unrest etc)? Has Venice been dropped? St Petersburg?

We are on a similar cruise July 1, "Route of the Vikings." It's on Marina. We had one change early on, substituting Douglas, Isle of Man for Portree, Scotland. Also, we leave Reykjavik at 5 pm whereas it was originally 6 pm. Other than these changes, we haven't heard anything. We are scheduled to be in Flam (Sognefjorden) and Gudvagen on July 4.

Even our April 23 cruise through Egypt and the Holy Land has only had two ports replaced. We are not stopping at Port Said (Cairo) and Alexandria. Instead, we will spend an additional day in Ashdod (Jerusalem) and we will port in Kusadasi, Turkey. And, we will be in Sharm El Sheikh two hours less than planned so that eliminates a tour of St. Catherine's Monastery. In Aqaba, they changed our port call from 8 am-6 pm to 5 am-8 pm. In a few other ports, they took away a couple of hours or added a couple of hours but nothing major.

Please let us know the reasons for the major changes to your itinerary once you hear from Oceania. Strange, indeed, to have such major changes happen with no explanation. And, of course, you are paid in full already.

...yes, unfortunately it happens, and they aren't actually required to explain why. On our last med cruise on the Regatta, on our first stop at Corsica Porto Vecchio was substituted for Bonifacio, at Sicily we were supposed to stop at Messina and anchored off the port for Taormina instead. We were supposed to go to Positano and Amalfi but spent two days anchored at Sorrento. These changes were due to available docking space or the weather and safety considerations for tendering. We still enjoyed ourselves immensely and the changes made were still very adequate ports of call...

cheers,

the Imagineer

We were on this trip last year and it was outstanding. So sad that you are missing out on time in the ports. I'm really curious to learn the reason for the changes. We are thinking of the Greenland-Iceland itinerary for 2012 but we certainly wouldn't want to do it if there are going to be major port changes that don't have anything to do with unusual weather or political unrest. Sounds like they just want to save money because the ship had no trouble getting to the ports on time last year.

Do you usually learn of these changes in advance, or just once you are on the boat and in motion?

The problem is that these particular changes were made over two months before sailing (i.e., changes are pre-planned and known), but after the full payment date (i.e., cancellation penalties likely apply).

To answer your question, changes can be made any time.

Nothing can really be done about in-cruise changes (e.g., rough seas prevent docking/anchoring), and that's just life.

For pre-cruise changes however, it is unfair to cruisers if the changes are made after the full payment date and are so extensive that the booking would not have been made had it been that itinerary that was advertised.

In other words, the cruiser is essentially locked into a cruise that he or she would not have booked but cannot change or cancel it now because full payment has been made. The line should offer an "out", such as cancelling without penalty, if significant changes are made well before sailing to what was advertised and booked. I don't know what the effect would be on the travel agents though.

...yes, unfortunately it happens, and they aren't actually required to explain why. On our last med cruise on the Regatta, on our first stop at Corsica Porto Vecchio was substituted for Bonifacio, at Sicily we were supposed to stop at Messina and anchored off the port for Taormina instead. We were supposed to go to Positano and Amalfi but spent two days anchored at Sorrento. These changes were due to available docking space or the weather and safety considerations for tendering. We still enjoyed ourselves immensely and the changes made were still very adequate ports of call...

cheers,

the Imagineer

Hi the Imagineer,

The difference here is that these changes are pre-planned, and not as a result of weather or safety situations that arise during the cruise. If the changes are so drastic that a person would not have booked the cruise had the changed itinerary been what was advertised, the person stuck because it's past the full payment date (i.e., had the changes been made 4 months out, if the person didn't like the changes, the person could simply cancel the booking). Sadly, it's similar to a bait-and-switch.

Changes in-cruise due to safety considerations are completely justifiable.

I would be ticked also

If it is fuel related why not just add the fuel surcharge & still go to the ports in the original itinerary

Sorry to hear you will be missing some of the best ports on the cruise :(

I wish they would just be upfront when thing happen instead of keeping quiet that is worse for their reputation

Lyn

ALL cruise lines reserve the right to change the itinerary at any time as they see fit for any reason...they are not limited to emergency political or weather conditions...

On our 2006 Nautica cruise, they made two or three changes--not major, but they had an effect on our planning...One was that the port of Delos was skipped entirely and that not announced until the morning we were supposed to land there--Weather, of course...and Mykonos was cut short--never announced...they made that decision after we were already in Mykonos and many passengers were dispersed about the island! Many didn't find out and make it back to the ship and had to be transported to catch up with the ship later...

But, there was one change that wasn't for weather reasons--they switched the dates for Athens and Santorini...no big deal, right? except they didn't tell us until we were already onn the ship...So, we had to scramble to rearrange our private tour arrangements...Our guide in Athens wasn't available for the new date...

On a Princess cruise we did in the Baltic in 2001, they changed the sailaway time from Copenhagen from 10:00 pm to 4:00 pm...BUT never sent out any announcement until two days before the sailing...Of course, we were in the midst of a 4 night pre-cruise in Copenhagen...Lucky for us, we arrived at the ship just before 4:00 pm...That same cruise, all of the port times were shortened, including St. Petersburg!! there had been rumors leading up to the cruise that the ship (the OLD Crown Princess) was having engine problems and could not move fast enough to keep up with its schedule...Of course, no one announced that in advance...

Be happy that you have a two month notice...

You can decide whether you want to take the cruise or switch to something else...

I am guessing that with changes that drastic, if you called Oceania, they would accommodate you...either transfer your booking to another cruise...or even let you out entirely if you really sound displeased...

Out August 10 Marina cruise has had one significant change, BTW--they cut Bordeaux from two days to one, substituting Biarritz the second day...They also changed one stop from L'Orient to Concarneau...may be an improvement...Frankly, with only one sea day on a 16 night itinerary, I likely would not have complained if they had substituted a couple of at sea days!

We were given about 4 months notice before a change in our itinerary on the Insignia a few years ago. What was supposed to have three days in Libya became four nights along the Italian coast, then merging back into the original itinerary. Obviously, the unrest now would cause the same change, but even then, it was too difficult to assure passengers that they would be allowed to debark in Libya, so Oceania made the decision to radically alter the itinerary, giving themselves enough time to substitute different, but excellent ports. Six months earlier, they made last minute substitutions to the same itinerary, which were not nearly as good, leaving many displeased passengers. Many did cancel on our trip, but they were easily replaced and the ship sailed full.

In June 2006 we did the Iceland cruise (no Greenland that time) and we had no changes at all. So just because "Midnight Sun" is having changes at this date doesn't mean that one will. I haven't heard any rumors of peoples' revolts in Scandinavia ...

But what a pity to miss Geirangerfjord!

We were on the first non-Libya cruise (November 2005) and many of the passengers weren't informed of the itinerary change until after they boarded. There wasn't even a sign in the lobby at check-in which I thought was wrong. People on the internet knew ... many others didn't.

We didn't object to the changes ourselves but certainly would have preferred the time in Libya, which was why we'd booked to begin with. But at the time Quadaffi was saying that holders of U.S. passports wouldn't be allowed off the ship so O really didn't have much choice. They COULD have decided the change earlier but as I recall the situation had seemed to have calmed down. And then it started up again.

I like Lyn am very puzzled as to the reasons for this last minute change on this particular itinerary.

We are not stopping at Port Said (Cairo) and Alexandria. Instead, we will spend an additional day in Ashdod (Jerusalem) and we will port in Kusadasi, Turkey.

Do take advantage of that extra day to get to Tel Aviv (my home town). You won't regret it.

You can reach it easily from Ashdod by Israel Railways.

I've posted their schedule a number of times on different boards here, but if you would like one, just holler.

Be happy that you have a two month notice...

You can decide whether you want to take the cruise or switch to something else...

I am guessing that with changes that drastic, if you called Oceania, they would accommodate you...either transfer your booking to another cruise...or even let you out entirely if you really sound displeased...

The telephone representative in Miami has indicated that it is within the cancellation penalty period so it doesn't look like a transfer to another cruise or "let you out entirely" are options.

This is terrible and unfortunately smells like a bait and switch. I thought Oceania was a better line than that. :(

trina2, are you on Insignia? I just got a email from my travel agent that included a memo from Oceania saying that due to a minor problem with one of the generators on Insignia, the ship would be forced to sail at reduced speeds, which caused them to need to change port times. I'm on a Scandinavian Splendors cruise, and it looks like we're not losing much time in port, at most 30 minutes to an hour. Most of the ports where we are docking later in the morning now have a later departure time. For instance, we were scheduled to be in Amsterdam from 8am-6pm, now we're there from 10am-8pm. These changes don't bother me much, but having ports cut like you did would. Your changes seem much more drastic -- did you book with a TA? I'd ask them what's up.

The telephone representative in Miami has indicated that it is within the cancellation penalty period so it doesn't look like a transfer to another cruise or "let you out entirely" are options.(

Learn these words...whether it is in dealing with Oceania, any other cruise line or with any other business that uses any kind of call center, phone bank or operator:

"Can I speak to a supervisor, please?"

Oftentimes, that "phone operator" is trained only to give you standard answers...

You are in a nonstandard situation...

You are not looking to cancel or transfer because of some arbitrary whim...it is in response to some rather drastic measures on THEIR part...

If the cruise is NOT what you bargained for, then, despite all of the disclaimers in their materials or the rules and standard operating procedures, your case is different...

The operator doesn't know this...or isn't empowered to deal with this...

In that case, move immediately up the food chain...

I know the folks at Oceania firsthand...They are very knowledgable and reasonable people...I would say especially if you just wanted to transfer the booking to a different cruise on Oceania or Regent, they WILL work it out for you...they do not want to lose you as a customer...They want you to return again and again...

No, I can't speak FOR them...but, again, from experience, I think I know them well enough that I am CERTAIN they are not just trying to pull a "bait and switch" on you...they have no incentive to do that...If they changed the itinerary, it was undoubtedly for good reasons...I seriously doubt it is worthwhile slowing down the ship and missing ports to save fuel costs as some have hypothesized here...

I have seen ports changed on cruises for a variety of reasons other than political unrest or weather...Cruise schedules are set up a long time in advance...things often happen in the interim...I've seen ports changed due to planned maintenance or remodel with the port facilities...I've heard of local port authorities drastically changing their fee schedules...I've heard of flat-out screw-ups in scheduling by the local port authority...or business shenanigans pulled by other lines...Sometimes it's a local event that conflicts and makes it impossible to arrange shore excursions or that overburdens facilities...

I don't know the reasons in this case, but I am fairly sure it is something rational and reasonable...I am pretty danged sure Oceania is not trying to somehow swindle you by changing the schedule...Oceania prides itself on its interesting and unusual itineraries...and this is a drawing point that brings in customers...It would be against their own interests to delete the same ports that draw in business...

That said, I am sure they are not happy to have to have done this...and that they will want to make you happy...You just need to talk to the right people...and not hang up and accept the first answer you hear--undoubtedly from someone with less of an incentive to give you anything but the easy answer--the one you seem all to willing to accept...

This same advice is true for most businesses...

Businesses do not stay in business and become successful by ticking off customers...But you DO need to talk to the right person...

trina2, are you on Insignia? I just got a email from my travel agent that included a memo from Oceania saying that due to a minor problem with one of the generators on Insignia, the ship would be forced to sail at reduced speeds, which caused them to need to change port times.

...after all the good things I've said about Oceania, this has me concerned, with all the talk about the Insignia leaving the fleet next year to be chartered by Hapag-LLoyd, I hope they're not deferring maintenance on her. We're booked on the Insignia for another med cruise in the fall, and I hope this issue can be rectified adequately as opposed to just shortening everyone's ports of call. We have reserved a number of private tours that are an integral part of the cruise, if we can't take them due to shortened days in port, then we might as well cancel right now and reconsider our plans. Oceania needs to be up front regarding this potential snag...hmmm...

the Imagineer

I just got a email from my travel agent that included a memo from Oceania saying that due to a minor problem with one of the generators on Insignia, the ship would be forced to sail at reduced speeds, which caused them to need to change port time .

You would think if it is MINOR as they say it could be fixed within 2 months.

Seems a flimsy excuse to me

Maybe do as Bruin Steve suggest go to the top ;)

Going to the top is definitely the way to go, but what if everyone goes to the top? I think it is a lose/lose situation for O. If they allow people to "jump ship" (which is what I would want to do), will they sail with less people? I certainly am not a financial expert, but I venture a guess that every cabin that is empty represents a lot of lost revenue (shore excursions, bar bills, spa appts, etc). I feel sorry for the passengers who have been inconvenienced.

trina2, are you on Insignia? I just got a email from my travel agent that included a memo from Oceania saying that due to a minor problem with one of the generators on Insignia, the ship would be forced to sail at reduced speeds, which caused them to need to change port times. I'm on a Scandinavian Splendors cruise, and it looks like we're not losing much time in port, at most 30 minutes to an hour. Most of the ports where we are docking later in the morning now have a later departure time. For instance, we were scheduled to be in Amsterdam from 8am-6pm, now we're there from 10am-8pm. These changes don't bother me much, but having ports cut like you did would. Your changes seem much more drastic -- did you book with a TA? I'd ask them what's up.

Yes, we are on the Insignia, departing June 23. You would think that a minor problem could be fixed unless...

...after all the good things I've said about Oceania, this has me concerned, with all the talk about the Insignia leaving the fleet next year to be chartered by Hapag-LLoyd, I hope they're not deferring maintenance on her.

I don't think we'd mind so much if it were just reduced shore time (though it would be a major inconvenience for a lot of people) but it is the loss of time ashore to witness the Midnight Sun (the name of the cruise!) and the Geirangerfjord (highlight). It would be like doing the Czars & Viking cruise and being told they are dropping St Petersburg...

I've phoned my travel agent, phoned Oceania (Aust) and sent a letter to be forwarded by Oceania (Aust) to Oceania (US) expressing our dissatisfaction for the itinerary change and also for how this change was delivered... that is, with no apology, no explanations. Now, I guess, I have to wait. (Unfortunately speaking with someone "higher up" means an international call and considering the amount of time I spent on hold yesterday, it really isn't an option)

I don't think we'd mind so much if it were just reduced shore time (though it would be a major inconvenience for a lot of people) but it is the loss of time ashore to witness the Midnight Sun (the name of the cruise!) and the Geirangerfjord (highlight). It would be like doing the Czars & Viking cruise and being told they are dropping St Petersburg...

I agree that missing Geirangerfjord would be a major loss. I was there 45 years ago and still remember how beautiful it was. Missing the Midnight Sun is not that horrible. We travelled on the tour bus to the most northern part of the North Cape at Midnight; it was so foggy you couldn't see your hand in front of your eyes. The next night however while we were sailing we saw the sun set about 5 minutes before midnight and then rise five minutes after midnight.

[quote name=Dmgmd50;28758329

I agree that missing Geirangerfjord would be a major loss. I was there 45 years ago and still remember how beautiful it was. Missing the Midnight Sun is not that horrible. We travelled on the tour bus to the most northern part of the North Cape at Midnight; it was so foggy you couldn't see your hand in front of your eyes. The next night however while we were sailing we saw the sun set about 5 minutes before midnight and then rise five minutes after midnight.

Agreed North Cape can be very unpredicatable' date=' so I had pretty much discounted going out there for midnight, anyway. What I'm upset about is that we no longer have any shore time at midnight.

Cutting 8 hours off shore time, for this stop alone, for "a minor problem with a generator" (if this is the reason) and cutting the following 2 ports & "most beautiful fjord in the world" (as per Oceania), seems extreme.

Some of the stops are becoming ridiculously short: Hammerfest -arrive 10am/depart 2pm (2 hr cut) ... with time allowed for disembarking, and being back on board at least 30 mins prior to sailing, it doesn't allow much time for Oceania's 2 hr shore excursions, let alone 3 hr shore excursion, on offer.

I thought I read on this thread that someone called O and O said this cruise was still cancelable? Well, our July 1 "Route of the Vikings" Marina cruise has already been paid in full so I don't understand how the June 23 "Midnight Sun" cruise can still be cancelled.

We've cruised a bit with O and not had any major changes. We had 4 hours cut from our Shanghai port call before we made final payment. But most of us worked around it because we were overnighting there and planned our full day of touring for the longer day. We skipped tendering in Portofino and ported in Genoa due to a storm that came up overnight. We skipped our first port after we left Valparaiso, Chile due to our late start (complications from planes not being able to arrive in Santiago after the 8+ earthquake last year).

The current changes to our Dubai-Athens itinerary next week are understandable and a good substitution unless you are really into pyramids and mummies. Not sure why 2 hours was cut off the back end from Sharm El Sheikh since we are cruising the Suez Canal the following day.

Obviously, O has good reasons for making all changes. These changes cause them as much grief as they do us. Can you imagine all the phone calls, paperwork, contracts, and whatever else have to be taken care of? It's not like they don't have a zillion other projects to work on (like the new Riviera).

Do take advantage of that extra day to get to Tel Aviv (my home town). You won't regret it.

You can reach it easily from Ashdod by Israel Railways.

I've posted their schedule a number of times on different boards here, but if you would like one, just holler.

Thanks for the suggestion. We have already booked a private tour to the Dead Sea and the Masada for that extra day. I have seen pictures of Tel Aviv and it really does look like a place I would like to visit someday!!

I thought I read on this thread that someone called O and O said this cruise was still cancelable?

They can be canceled but with the penalty

Oceania does not transfer booking to another cruise if you decide you want to cancel after final payment

The cruise people are upset about is Norway I do not see any turmoil there like in the Middle East

Supposedly a problem with the generator

If they cannot fix the problem in the upcoming 2 months

It does not give me much confidence to sail on the Insignia on any cruise before that either

Lyn

Thanks for the suggestion. We have already booked a private tour to the Dead Sea and the Masada for that extra day. I have seen pictures of Tel Aviv and it really does look like a place I would like to visit someday!!

The extra day in Ashdod is gone. It is now one and a half days in Haifa. And one day in Ashdod. We had to eliminate the Massada/Dead Sea trip because Jerusalem is more important.:(

Archived