Lost Luggage - Shame on RCCL

aks753

I would have never thought to NOT pack my liquor in my luggage as I know it cannot be carried onboard a plane...my last cruise was out of San Juan & I packed my booze in my suitcase the night before & put it in the hall..sounds like from now on I will keep it with me & put it in the suitcase before I head to the airport...

The Freedom has actually been taking alcohol and WATER from bags and keeping it. I was on the March 27th cruise and they kept a bag of mine that contained a case of water. I asked multiple times during the cruise for the bag back and even called the security office deck phone. I was told that they would keep the water but would send the bag to my room. Several people told me that my bag was in the security office but yet it never got sent to my room no matter how many times I was told that it would be. Ended up disembarking the ship without the bag and was annoyed that no one would retrieve it from the security office. I was unable to get it myself as it was locked in the office and multiple people including supervisors did not follow through on their promises to get it to me.

To the OP - RCI's liability is limited to whatever the cruise contract reflects. I don't have mine in front of me so I don't know what, if any, limitis of liability exist. If the contract reflects RCO must reimburse you for alcohol, then pursue it - if the contract reflects otherwise - you're out of luck.

To Schooner Bar Girl - I have no sympathy for you - it's very clearly stated that you are not allowed to bring water/alcohol onboard - you caused your own problem. Next time - follow the rules and you'll have all of your bags.

We were unable to locate one of our bags after disembarking last year in Ft. Lauderdale. Know who helped us find it? One of the porters that roam around looking for people to help out to the curb. She new of several places to look for bags based on what color/number tags you had- and sure enough, we located it quickly in a place I never would have thought to look.

To the OP - RCI's liability is limited to whatever the cruise contract reflects. I don't have mine in front of me so I don't know what, if any, limitis of liability exist. If the contract reflects RCO must reimburse you for alcohol, then pursue it - if the contract reflects otherwise - you're out of luck.

To Schooner Bar Girl - I have no sympathy for you - it's very clearly stated that you are not allowed to bring water/alcohol onboard - you caused your own problem. Next time - follow the rules and you'll have all of your bags.

There is a difference between contractual liability and being customer friendly. Businesses frequently offer someting out of good will when they mess up, even if it a contract excludes such liability. This is done to keep customers happy. I am surprised RCI offers nothing to customers for the inconvenience of lost luggage.

Whenever we have purchased liquor on a cruise, it is very clearly stated that it is NOT to be packed in your luggage - you need to carry it through customs. Is it possible you were trying to avoid paying duty on the extra bottles? In any event, I would never pack anything of value in a suitcase I was leaving outside my cabin all night.

There is NO such requirement that liquor purchased on a cruise cannot be packed in luggage. I have ALWAYS packed my liquor in my suitcase and have simply verbally told customs that I had alcohol. You are required to claim your alcohol, tobacco, and purchases to customs. These items are allowed to be packed in your luggage upon disembarking the ship. Some of us actually catch flights after a cruise and repacking luggage in the terminal would be a pain and unnecessary.:rolleyes:

lol...........not looking for sympathy.:rolleyes::p You are a very silly and funny person.:p The cruise line can keep the water all they want but they are not entitled to keep the bag!:rolleyes::rolleyes: They have never kept water in the past......this was a first. Alcohol...yes they have a history of keeping.....water...no.:rolleyes:

The VAST majority of the time when a bag does not appear at the end of the cruise, the reason is that another passenger took it, because s/he didn't check the i.d.

That is exactly what we suspect happened to my sisters missing luggage. All her other pieces were there. Its just so disappointing that if someone did make a mistake, they wouldn't call the number on the ID and return it. She would have gladly paid the shipping to get her things back. BTW, luggage contained dirty laundry however now she has to replace alot of clothing. Sad. :confused:

Some folks will go to any length to absolve the cruise line of wrongdoing -- including impugning motives.

Not at all - after one cruise I carried my alcohol through and paid the extra duty - the person behind me said they pack theirs in their luggage so they won't have to pay - not my idea at all.

Not at all - after one cruise I carried my alcohol through and paid the extra duty - the person behind me said they pack theirs in their luggage so they won't have to pay - not my idea at all.

And you think the person behind you was the OP? Or is it that anyone who does not carry their luggage off the ship is trying to cheat the government out of a few dollars (it's about $2.00 a bottle, if memory serves)?

aks753 - I agree - however, RCI's cruise contract reflects total liability of up to $300 (exclusions for lots of items). OP should be reimbursed for the true value of the taken items (or $300 - whichever is less) unless they are excluded (I don't think they are). Certainly, RCI could extend "good will" but they are not obligated to do so. These contracts are in place for a reason.

It's just not a good idea to pack liquor in bags put in the hall the night before. When I retrieved my bag the next morning there was a pool of liquid on the top from someone's broken bottle.

Archived