Lost Luggage - Shame on RCCL

aks753

So, after an enjoyable cruise on the Freedom last week, I waited at the carousel for one of my bags, which never showed up. I signed a form and they said they would ship it to me. Almost a week later, I received my missing bag via UPS (they shipped it ground). Alas, my 2 bottles of liquor were no longer in the bag.

Now, RCCL has informed me that they must look through luggage and take out liquor or tobacco because they cannot ship it. There is a possibility the ship terminal still has the bottles, in which case I must arrange for shipment at my own cost. If they are gone, I am out the money I paid for them. RCCL told me that they do not advise passangers to put liquor in their luggage (but they do not in writing advise against it).

Has anyone else ever run into this? This is customer service at its worst for sure.

So, after an enjoyable cruise on the Freedom last week, I waited at the carousel for one of my bags, which never showed up. I signed a form and they said they would ship it to me. Almost a week later, I received my missing bag via UPS (they shipped it ground). Alas, my 2 bottles of liquor were no longer in the bag.

Now, RCCL has informed me that they must look through luggage and take out liquor or tobacco because they cannot ship it. There is a possibility the ship terminal still has the bottles, in which case I must arrange for shipment at my own cost. If they are gone, I am out the money I paid for them. RCCL told me that they do not advise passangers to put liquor in their luggage (but they do not in writing advise against it).

Has anyone else ever run into this? This is customer service at its worst for sure.

it's not customer service at its worse, UPS Fedex etc will not ship alcohol or tobacco across state lines, it's actually very good customer service that they removed it to save you problems with ATF

RCCL is just following the laws. I always carry my liquor off the ship, and if I have to put it in checked bags for the airport I always do that after I am off the ship. The boxes that you get in many ports and from buying liquor on the ship have handles so you don't have to put them in luggage to get off the ship. It may not be 100% their fault that your bag was lost, it could be the port's fault. Live and Learn.

it's not customer service at its worse, UPS Fedex etc will not ship alcohol or tobacco across state lines, it's actually very good customer service that they removed it to save you problems with ATF

Interesting, I did not know this, thanks for the info.

OP, disappointing for sure.

This is a research problem on the part of the OP rather than a problem on Royal Caribbean's side of things.

A minute or two on Google tells you all you need to know about shipping booze - i.e. don't try it.

Interesting, I did not know this, thanks for the info.

OP, disappointing for sure.

I would like to point out that when I put the liquor in my luggage, I never intended for it to go via UPS or FedEx. I only had a 4 bottle box, so the other 2 had to go somewhere to get off the ship.

Also, mine was not the only bag missing on Sunday. There were at least 20 others that had missing luggage. Some only received 1 of their 5 bags.

This is a research problem on the part of the OP rather than a problem on Royal Caribbean's side of things.
Huh?

Normally, I tend to lean on the side of the cruise line. But in this case, RCI <messed> up. They misplaced the luggage. They need to make things right for the customer whose luggage they lost.

Normally with a misplaced bag, they make things right by finding the bag and paying to have it shipped home. Unfortunately, because of the shipping laws, they can't do that here. So they've got to find another way to make things right.

I would like to point out that when I put the liquor in my luggage, I never intended for it to go via UPS or FedEx. I only had a 4 bottle box, so the other 2 had to go somewhere to get off the ship.

Also, mine was not the only bag missing on Sunday. There were at least 20 others that had missing luggage. Some only received 1 of their 5 bags.

I would never put liquor in a bag I intended to check, it stays with me. I have heard of people putting it out in the hallway to be picked up and then they complain liquor was stolen out of their bag and blame the cruiseline.

Im sorry you ran into bad luck... always puts a damper on things after the cruise to have to deal with a problem.

Huh?

Normally, I tend to lean on the side of the cruise line. But in this case, RCI <messed> up. They misplaced the luggage. They need to make things right for the customer whose luggage they lost.

Normally with a misplaced bag, they make things right by finding the bag and paying to have it shipped home. Unfortunately, because of the shipping laws, they can't do that here. So they've got to find another way to make things right.

No way to know where the bag was lost or if it was while RCL had the bag or after they passed it off to whomever does the bags to the airport, .... which isnt RCL. How would you know who is at fault?

Huh?

Agreed. I am am very loyal to RCI (my first cruise was as a kid in 1983 on the Nordic Prince) and have never had an issue like this. I am just surprised by the response. If they know they are likely to lose luggage and that, if found, they cannot ship liquor, then advise guests to carry all liquor in-hand off the ship. But, for customer service to state that they "do not advise guests to put liquor in luggage" - i.e. they are silent on the point - is disengenuous. Now, as I asked customer service, if they can show me something in writing stating all liquor must be carried off the ship in-hand, I will accept that this was my fault.

No way to know where the bag was lost or if it was while RCL had the bag or after they passed it off to whomever does the bags to the airport, .... which isnt RCL. How would you know who is at fault?

This luggage was lost by RCCL. It was at the carosouel at the pier that it was missing.

This luggage was lost by RCCL. It was at the carosouel at the pier that it was missing.

And, there is nothing more frustrating than standing around with a crowd looking for your luggage when you need to get in a taxi to get to the airport. I was shocked by how many people were missing luggage (as were the RCI employees at the terminal).

The VAST majority of the time when a bag does not appear at the end of the cruise, the reason is that another passenger took it, because s/he didn't check the i.d.

Not possible in this case. Scuba bag with a pouch for fins sticking out.

RCCL is just following the laws. I always carry my liquor off the ship, and if I have to put it in checked bags for the airport I always do that after I am off the ship. The boxes that you get in many ports and from buying liquor on the ship have handles so you don't have to put them in luggage to get off the ship. It may not be 100% their fault that your bag was lost, it could be the port's fault. Live and Learn.

Agreed. I used to work for UPS, and liquor cannot be shipped (unless you have a special permit). It is a shame that your bag was lost, but at least you received it. RCCL should give you something for your trouble though.

The VAST majority of the time when a bag does not appear at the end of the cruise, the reason is that another passenger took it, because s/he didn't check the i.d.

So true, a travel companion filed a claim at the dock that a piece of her luggage was missing. We were surprised at the airport when she was called to pick it up at the airline desk. So in this case the CL did their best to get it back to her ASAP. BTW it was taken in error by another passenger.

Whenever we have purchased liquor on a cruise, it is very clearly stated that it is NOT to be packed in your luggage - you need to carry it through customs. Is it possible you were trying to avoid paying duty on the extra bottles? In any event, I would never pack anything of value in a suitcase I was leaving outside my cabin all night.

Whenever we have purchased liquor on a cruise, it is very clearly stated that it is NOT to be packed in your luggage - you need to carry it through customs. Is it possible you were trying to avoid paying duty on the extra bottles? In any event, I would never pack anything of value in a suitcase I was leaving outside my cabin all night.

Well, what if it is not purchased onboard. And, no, I declared all of it at customs.

I would never put liquor in a bag I intended to check, it stays with me. I have heard of people putting it out in the hallway to be picked up and then they complain liquor was stolen out of their bag and blame the cruiseline.

Im sorry you ran into bad luck... always puts a damper on things after the cruise to have to deal with a problem.

I'm curious, how do you keep it with you on an airplane since all were are now allowed for liquids in carryon are those stupid little travel bottles. :confused:

Archived