Wow. Didn't know I could cause so much fuss

acmes

OK...I need to respond to this. I am going on my first cruise 11/26 on the Jewel. I see that this was quoted from NCL. Is this a rule? Because I have read, READ not experienced, because like I said I am new to cruising, I have read on many threads, posts & reviews that NCL doesn't enforce some of their rules, ie; children in adult pools, or jacuzzi's, front rows at shows, etc. I have seen many posts that people have complained about these issues & NCL staff on board haven't done anything about, even if they are a witness to it.

Now, I believe that a H/C person should have priority to a room, if available. Point blank! I have also experienced many people on CC to quickly jump down people's throats. This site is for everyone, new & old to cruising, to share their stories, tips, suggestions etc. At one point or another, we all were new to cruising & have had our fair share of 'silly' questions to ask!! Like I was told in grade school....."NO QUESTION IS STUPID; THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION'S ARE THE ONES NOT ASKED"!!

Your questions are the same ones I had when reading about the "rules". Will they be enforced as they should be?:confused:

I have also experienced many people on CC to quickly jump down people's throats. This site is for everyone, new & old to cruising, to share their stories, tips, suggestions etc. At one point or another, we all were new to cruising & have had our fair share of 'silly' questions to ask!! Like I was told in grade school....."NO QUESTION IS STUPID; THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION'S ARE THE ONES NOT ASKED"!!

I just experienced this first hand on one of my posts. Most CC members as Taxguy stated are helpful and will post a response with kindness and understandng but there are a few sharks that find fun in feeling superior by snarky snide remarks. Even if you are a seasoned cruiser you are not exempt :)

OK...I need to respond to this. I am going on my first cruise 11/26 on the Jewel. I see that this was quoted from NCL. Is this a rule? Because I have read, READ not experienced, because like I said I am new to cruising, I have read on many threads, posts & reviews that NCL doesn't enforce some of their rules, ie; children in adult pools, or jacuzzi's, front rows at shows, etc. I have seen many posts that people have complained about these issues & NCL staff on board haven't done anything about, even if they are a witness to it.

Now, I believe that a H/C person should have priority to a room, if available. Point blank! I have also experienced many people on CC to quickly jump down people's throats. This site is for everyone, new & old to cruising, to share their stories, tips, suggestions etc. At one point or another, we all were new to cruising & have had our fair share of 'silly' questions to ask!! Like I was told in grade school....."NO QUESTION IS STUPID; THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION'S ARE THE ONES NOT ASKED"!!

I agree with you completely. Questions should always be welcomed. I also have gathered from many previous threads on this topic that it may be true that historically, passengers booked in HC cabins who did not need them were not moved. My understanding is that on some occasions they may have been 'asked' to move but were not 'required' to move.

However, the information above came directly from NCL and is their current policy. The representative made it clear that out of necessity, NCL has had to take a firm line on this issue and that it is not a matter of whether a guest 'may' be moved if the HC cabin is required by a disabled passenger, but that the guest 'will' be moved. Of course, the representative also made it clear that during the booking process, passengers who do not require HC cabins will be strongly advised not to book the HC cabin, and will be advised that if they choose to book the HC cabin, they will be required to move if the HC cabin is required by a disabled passenger. It would seem that this is an area of policy that NCL is committed to acting upon.

Obviously, this policy holds real appeal to cruise passengers who require HC cabins since such cabins are few in number. And actually, I don't think cruise passengers as a whole will have a problem with the policy if they are properly informed about it at booking.

I think the weirdest thing about the whole situation was not the reaction of fellow cc responders...it was that the forum management CLOSED the topic within hours of my posting it! I felt like I violated some unwritten rule. But all's well that ends well--I'm booked on a trip with an aft balcony that has no disabled designation.

happy sailing!!

I don't believe that the thread was closed because of anything you did at all, or even because of most posts, whether intense or not. I was puzzled by the thread being closed too, so I reviewed the CC Guidelines, and based on what I read, I wonder if the thread may have been closed because of some lengthy legal quotations that were posted. In any case, it is really good that you posted another thread.

Have a FANTASTIC cruise!!!

I am glad she reposted because it gave us a chance to let her know we are here to help and share info. I think it was closed because it did not represent the true spirit of CC. Yes, we complain about unjustices or unfair treatment but we also inform and are here to express our views, but not at the expense of others.

Tammy, I agree with you, there is no need for the posters to be snarky.

Unfortunately, this information is inaccurate and out of date. Yesterday, NCL confirmed the following:

NCL discourages able-bodied passengers from booking accessible cabins.

NCL will not prevent able-bodied passengers from booking accessible cabins.

NCL WILL DEFINITELY move an able-bodied passenger from an accessible cabin at any time, including on board, if a disabled passenger requires the accessible cabin.

NCL said that they make every effort to ensure that all of their guests are satisfied, however, on this particular issue, it has become necessary for them to weigh the disappointment/upset of the able-bodied passenger against the real needs of the disabled passenger. It is now their firm policy that the able-bodied passenger WILL DEFINITELY be moved if a disabled passenger needs the accessible cabin.

NOTE: This is not my opinion, it is from NCL.

I am just curious. Considering it is not legal to ask for proof, then how will NCL determine who is "able bodied" and who is not?

They would have some information from passengers who send the information they need to their Special Needs Dept.

As someone who has a disability and is mobility impaired, not everyone has a visible disability. If anything, this thread should be considered an educational thread.

No question should be considered a stupid question - the only ones that drive me nuts are ones that have been asked and answers 50 times already on these boards and the OP just hasn't bothered to search. You need to have a thick skin when posting and reading on the boards - just disregard the snarky comments and go with the ones that have helpful respondants. I find more people try to be helpful than not here.

I am just curious. Considering it is not legal to ask for proof, then how will NCL determine who is "able bodied" and who is not?

OK On some threads we have established that most of what NCL does is American driven. I believe somewhere in the latest threads we have established that NCL does or is required (CC Jury still out on that one) to offer HD accommodations and a certain number of places with appropriate access,

Now, not that I agree or disagree with NCL taking a supposed stronger roll in accommodating the disabled.

But this “not legal to ask” you state is a law from which country. I’m assuming you mean through ADA (U.S.). NCL (at least most of there ships) are registered in the Bahamas, and they sail to and from different countries. And I’ve always been under the impression that a ship at sea was under international law.

There is a lot of information that is thrown onto CC that sounds absolute when sometimes it just a poster’s interpretation or opinion and not fact. I’m not challenging what you say, just asking for more specifics on who’s law this is and where it was established that NCL must follow it.

They will take the passenger's word for it.

My wife and I stayed in an HC cabin on our first cruise because we had booked an inside guarentee. I personally don't see the allure to booking this type of cabin. Yes, you may have a little more room but in the cabin we stayed in water went all over the bathroom floor when we showered and went out into the cabin because of the design. If all HC cabins are designed that way (and I have to believe they are) then I would much prefer a regular cabin.

I am trying to remember the specifics of how that was handled on our first cruise with NCL which was in March 2008. On subsequent cruises, they have had all my information on file and it has been pretty straightforward.

That first cruise, we had booked through a local travel agent and if I recall correctly, I simply had to provide a copy of my Disabled ID card. There were no questions about the specific nature of my disability, only questions about what my requirements were. NCL did everything they could to ensure that my special needs were met. They also keep good client records for when you book another cruise.

I'm new to CC, but not to message boards in general, so I come prepared to take the flames, but I'm not trying to stir the pot; I really do have an honest question.

As has been mentioned here on this thread some handicaps are not noticable in some cases....;)

While I fully understand that not all handicaps are noticeable, I don't understand why someone who doesn't use a wheelchair or walker would need an accessible cabin. Aren't the only benefits of the cabins the wider doors and walking areas and a roll-in shower? In my understanding, there are some conditions that might benefit from having a cabin closest to the elevators rather than one with a little more floor room. I just want a little clarification on why someone with other disabilities (not requiring a wheelcare or walker) would need these cabins.

I'm new to CC, but not to message boards in general, so I come prepared to take the flames, but I'm not trying to stir the pot; I really do have an honest question.

While I fully understand that not all handicaps are noticeable, I don't understand why someone who doesn't use a wheelchair or walker would need an accessible cabin. Aren't the only benefits of the cabins the wider doors and walking areas and a roll-in shower? In my understanding, there are some conditions that might benefit from having a cabin closest to the elevators rather than one with a little more floor room. I just want a little clarification on why someone with other disabilities (not requiring a wheelcare or walker) would need these cabins.

I also would like to know the answer. AFAIK they are called accessible cabins, not handicapped or diabled so I would think only someone using a wheelchair, crutches, canes etc would be eligible to book these rooms. Is this not correct????

I am glad you had the guts to post again!

I am also a brand new cruiser and had the exact same question. I would cry if someone was so mean over an innocent question. I hope you were not upset over peoples rude responses.

I am unable to walk long distances or stairs due to an injury i am recovering from. (hopefully will be better by the cruise) Hence i am NOT disabled, but we were not sure if the H/C rooms would have easier access to elevators.

We were not sure what the policies were reguarding this was.

What was handy was having someone describe on here how the H/C rooms are different. It has made me realize i won't have a problem with a regular room. And to just find one near the elevators.

Thanks!

I posted the earlier query about the "disability suite" As some of you pointed out, this is a sensitive subject. I went out for dinner and came home to nearly 20 responses responses on this post and a closure and zero on the post I entered early this morning on a different subject. I am an absolute newbie when it comes to cruising. I'm only doing this because my child wants to go on a cruise. I was not aware that the "disability" notation on the cruiseline website was the equivalent of a handicapped parking spot. I would never stop in one of those--even for 20 seconds. I have no idea how many suites are so allocated on a given ship, because I have never set foot on a ship/boat over 50 feet before. When I went on the NCL website, this was one of the only aft suites offered. I'm not using a TA because my previous attempt to use one resulted in nearly 4 weeks of silence after I handed him a specific cruise on a platter. So I'm trying to do this myself.

Bottom line is: I should NOT reserve a "disability" room. It It would be nice if the NCL website were a bit more user friendly and would make it clear that this is subject to changes. There is absolutely no notation in this regard. I've been navigating a couple of cruiseline sites and NCL is not that easy to use. Judging by this website, people put great stock in specific rooms (imagine a website where hotel rooms were so clearly reviewed.) Where I live, every apt. renovation must be ADA compliant (a good thing) but it does not mean that only people people with disabilities can live there.

I'm astonished that so many people manage to go on so many cruises, but bear in mind that there is a first time for anyone. So...a little patience please. It was an innocent question about whether a reserved room is always a reserved room. I just wanted to know before I put the money down. A simple "yes, you can be moved to make room for someone who needs the room" would have sufficed.

Hang in there. Sometimes it seems like people jump all over a topic...I think its unintentional. I hope you find a good cruise and be patient with the responses on this board. They are overwhelmingly helpful. We just returned from a cruise that was made so much more enjoyable through all the advice and help from these boards!! I wouldn't have known that about the handicap rooms either...I figured those would get assigned last after all the rooms and people have been accounted for. We saw quite a few people on our cruise in wheelchairs and how great is that!!

I was once in the same situation. Trying to book a room that was handicap. It was the last room available on the aft of the ship. The person I spoke to at NCL said that they would not force us to give up the room for a lesser room but there were no better rooms available. It was very close to sailing and they said it really was not a problem. They did say it was a full ship. They did make me feel that if I did not give up the room, even for a lesser room, I would not be a good person. I did not book the cruise

Last July I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. The chemo treatments left me with the inability to feel my feet and fingers. Also as a result of the disease I have a bone shard in my spinal column that causes me pain. My balance is not good. I can walk and as you see can type. What I can not do is stand for very long and when I close my eyes there is a chance I will fall. I need the hand rails in the H/C bathrooms as well as a seat to sit on. I can bring my own portable hand rails but only if I have to. The ones on the ship are more secure. For my trip in June I will be bringing my handrails and the ship says they will bring a shower seat to me.

I am offically disabled but not in a wheelchair yet. What do you all think, should I reserve a H/C room or not?

I am in remission and on July 6th (3 days after my next cruise) will be starting the stem cell transplant process so that when the cancer comes back (and it does) the treatments will be easier. :D

Donna

Last July I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. The chemo treatments left me with the inability to feel my feet and fingers. Also as a result of the disease I have a bone shard in my spinal column that causes me pain. My balance is not good. I can walk and as you see can type. What I can not do is stand for very long and when I close my eyes there is a chance I will fall. I need the hand rails in the H/C bathrooms as well as a seat to sit on. I can bring my own portable hand rails but only if I have to. The ones on the ship are more secure. For my trip in June I will be bringing my handrails and the ship says they will bring a shower seat to me.

I am offically disabled but not in a wheelchair yet. What do you all think, should I reserve a H/C room or not?

I am in remission and on July 6th (3 days after my next cruise) will be starting the stem cell transplant process so that when the cancer comes back (and it does) the treatments will be easier. :D

Donna

Since you are asking... Yes, Donna, I believe you should definitely speak to the NCL Access Desk about an HC cabin.

I am also officially disabled. I have a rare disease that has infiltrated my heart, one eye, lymph nodes, stomach lining, liver, spleen and muscles. In addition I have another disease that has fused several of my vertebrae. I have lost some of the motor function in one foot and have no feeling at all in one thigh. In addition to the seven medications I take every morning, I am currently on two low-dose chemo therapies, one I administer by injection at home and one that I receive at an infusion clinic.

I can walk around my house because I know where the supports are and know that I can get down quickly if the severe weakness I live with daily is about to bring me to my knees. However, after some falls in the bathroom, we had to renovate our bathroom and add square footage, several grab bars, an accessible shower with seating and an elevated toilet.

When I am outside my home, I always have my rollator/walker with me so that I can quickly sit and rest on the seat as needed. If I am having a particularly bad stretch, I will use my wheelchair or scooter. On our first cruise I took the rollator only and missed out on a lot. I had no idea how much walking would be involved. On our second cruise I rented a power wheelchair from the ship. For our upcoming cruise, I recently purchased my own scooter.

When using public restrooms, I always wait for the accessible stall to become available. On a couple of occasions when I was somewhere that there wasn't an accessible stall, I once fell trying to lower myself to the seat. I always have to find something to use to pull myself back to my feet, like the bottom of the door etc. if it is close enough to reach. It is pretty scary to be in that situation.

Now, back to the HC cabin... I personally do not trust the portable grab bars since I need to put my whole body weight on them to get down and then to get back up. The HC cabin bathroom is perfectly equipped to meet my needs. There are grab bars all around the bathroom. There is a shower seat and the toilet seat is at accessible elevation. For me, having an elevated toilet seat provided would not be enough. I need the grab bars as I move around the room and the seat in the shower. I don't know if you have sailed before, but those grab bars in the bathroom can be essential to anyone who has balance issues. Even calm seas produce movement that someone with balance issue will notice while others will not.

There is also the fact that for people with balance issues it can be difficult to control their body enough to move in and out of narrow spaces. The HC cabins that we use (i.e. GEM 9650) has just enough room to move around without falling. To people that don't have balance issues that may seem strange, but for example, in our house one of our smaller bedrooms has about the same space to move around the bed as there is in a typical cabin with the two beds pushed together. When I go around the bed in that bedroom I usually lose my balance and fall onto the bed a few times as I do whatever I am doing around the bed... opening the window etc. Mix that up with the movement of the ship and if I was in a regular size cabin, I would spend the entire week in bed!

I am hoping that this response to your question was also helpful for those who wanted to know more about what the HC cabins offer and who may require them.

In my opinion, you earned (odd choice of words) a handicapped cabin. I have Acromegaly a growth disease and look like a larger woman but actually grew this way. I can walk short distances and stand for short times, but do use a walker for someplace to sit while in line or going to far. I would not hesitate to use h/c cabin because of the shower with rails and the space and access to the bathroom with no steps. Can't raise my leg to step over a tub.

My joints grew unevenly. It has been questioned by some as to whether or not I need a h/c placket with my car. Things may not always be as they seem. Not an overweight person too lazy to walk!!! We are now waiting for our 24th cruise.

Donna

Just one more thought I would like to share with you Donna... You can ask NCL to note that you require what they call 'special bedding' and they will add an extra mattress pad and foam pad to your bed. After one night, you will know if you need to ask your steward for additional padding. We have always found them to be very helpful in this regard.

And about a rollator.... I don't know if you use one, but you may find it very helpful on a cruise. Some medical supply companies will rent them by the week if you do not want to purchase one.

And finally, if you have any questions that you think I may be able to answer for you please feel free to ask. Happy cruising!!!

Thank you - your answers have been helpful and I hope they also answer the statement "why would you need a H/C room if you don't use a wheelchair." There is a good number of us with challenges without wheelchairs.

My TA has advised NCL that I have special needs. I won't forget about the possibility of a special bed pad.

So far my portable handrails have worked very well. I may need the Steward to help me attach them securely. I am beginning to think I should bring my cane and today I ordered a pocket chair. It is a chair that can fold up and go in your pocket or purse. For endurance I am better at walking than I am at standing.

I reserved a Villa family suite on the Pearl. Their bathrooms are huge and with my portable rails and a seat it should work for me. However, this will be my last time in a suite. I can't work any longer. So next time I will reserve a H/C room either Balcony or inside. I don't want to give up cruising.

The June trip will be my 7th cruise but 1st with challenges.

And about a rollator.... I don't know if you use one, but you may find it very helpful on a cruise. Some medical supply companies will rent them by the week if you do not want to purchase one.

Wintersky - I do have a walker but haven't used it for awhile. Is a rollator like a walker?

Thank you again - Donna :)

Thank you to all that answered our questions. :) You have brought up many points I never thought of. I'm so used to most hotels having grab bars in the tub/shower and toilets that I never paid attention to what is in the bathrooms on the ship. I couldn't tell you what was in the shower/bath area, I just knew even in the DOS they have the alarm rope and handrails in the toilet area. (Not in the shower) I never thought about balance problems and needing a seat in the shower. I have a "high" toilet at home and hate trying to use a "normal" one anywhere else and I just have knee problems.

One thing I still don't understand but only NCL can probably answer is: Why do they put most HC cabins so far from the elevators? :confused: I wouldn't think this is very helpful to those that have mobility problems.

Thank you - your answers have been helpful and I hope they also answer the statement "why would you need a H/C room if you don't use a wheelchair." There is a good number of us with challenges without wheelchairs.

My TA has advised NCL that I have special needs. I won't forget about the possibility of a special bed pad.

So far my portable handrails have worked very well. I may need the Steward to help me attach them securely. I am beginning to think I should bring my cane and today I ordered a pocket chair. It is a chair that can fold up and go in your pocket or purse. For endurance I am better at walking than I am at standing.

I reserved a Villa family suite on the Pearl. Their bathrooms are huge and with my portable rails and a seat it should work for me. However, this will be my last time in a suite. I can't work any longer. So next time I will reserve a H/C room either Balcony or inside. I don't want to give up cruising.

The June trip will be my 7th cruise but 1st with challenges.

Wintersky - I do have a walker but haven't used it for awhile. Is a rollator like a walker?

Thank you again - Donna :)

Yes, a rollator is a walker with wheels on all four legs and a seat. Typically the front wheels swivel like a shopping card and the back wheels do not swivel so that they will track properly. Most come with some sort of basket attachment, but for travel I don't take the basket. Also, most fold nicely and are very lightweight.

Your Suite sound wonderful! I am sure that you will have a great trip! I have seen photos of the suite bathrooms and they are pretty amazing. Unless I win the lottery, I will never be in a suite but we do enjoy the balcony cabins.

Do you have someone else with you that could help you with attaching the grab bars if necessary? Depending on policy, the stewards may or may not be allowed to do that for you as it may impact the company's liability in some way.

It sounds like you have had a rough year and you must be so looking forward to your cruise. Not too long to wait now! Best wishes!!!

One thing I still don't understand but only NCL can probably answer is: Why do they put most HC cabins so far from the elevators? :confused: I wouldn't think this is very helpful to those that have mobility problems.

I realize that some HC cabins are removed from the elevators, but the locations on the Jewel class ships give you some very good elevator handy options. On the Gem for instance, on deck 8 there are 10 HC cabins adjacent the Aft elevator bank (2 inside and 8 ocean view), and on deck 9 there are four balcony HC cabins immediately off the Aft elevator bank. The same is true of deck 10. We love cabin 9650 because it is just off the elevator, and also that elevator takes you straight up to the Garden Cafe.

Do you have someone else with you that could help you with attaching the grab bars if necessary? Depending on policy, the stewards may or may not be allowed to do that for you as it may impact the company's liability in some way./

Wintersky - I didn't think about that. I do have DD #1 and her BF with me on this cruise. I will ask for their help.

Thanks - Donna

Archived