Seattle hotel and transportation questions

JaneyLynn

My two sons and I are flying into Seattle the Saturday before our cruise, and we'll be arriving at 1242am <Seattle time>. Our cruise leaves Tuesday, so it's 3 nights in a hotel. We're flying out the day after the end of the cruise. That's the basics.

For the pre-cruise I want to stay at the Sheraton downtown, based on it being within walking distance to all the main attractions. I can't find on Sheraton's website if they have airport and/or cruise terminal shuttle so I'm going to take a wild guess and say they don't. I've searched within the West Coast departures and I can't make heads or tails ....... so I'm going to ask a few questions <and hope it's not been asked before>

My questions are: what is the least expensive way for the three of us to get to the Sheraton from the airport..... and than to the cruise terminal Tuesday morning.

After the cruise~~~

Do any of the hotels offer pick up from the cruise terminal to their property post cruise and shuttle to the airport the next day, if so which ones. Post cruise doesn't have to be close to anything, just inexpensive.

I just read that there are different piers :) We're going on Carnival Spirit... I think it's Pier 91

We are using a towncar service from Sea-Tac to our hotel near Pike Market. The quote I have is $45.00.

I have seen on here that there is a shuttle that will go from the airport for $9.00 per person. It is a van and you will be going with others.

Our hotel offers transport to the pier, however if we want we can take a taxi for less than $20.00.

Here is a website that shows which hotels have transportation packages for cruises:

http://www.visitseattle.org/Tourism-Development/Cruise-from-Seattle/Pre-and-Post-Cruise-Hotel-Packages/Downtown.aspx

look on tripadvisor.com seattle forum; Top right corner for top question. CC is nice but format isn't near as convenient.

No downtown hotels offer a shuttle. Since your coming in at a very late hr I'd stick with Cab or towncar. They will both be between $40-45. There is a shuttle but they charge $15 pp so no savings.

Shuttle to pier is about $9pp however a cab should be less for 3

You'd be in a great location with Sheraton

We are staying at The Silver Cloud Hotel- Broadway and will be taking a Taxi to Pier 91. Last year we took Taxi from Westin and it cost $20.00 and I am thinking it should be about the same from Silver Cloud....anyone know if its more or less?????

Vie Lee

while some hotels offer a 'shuttle' its not really 'their' shuttle. They are simply paying a service to transport you.

Silver Cloud broadway to Pier 91 will be most likely a lot more than $20. There is no 'direct' route and the cab will have to go thru downtown or many stoplights to get there. Waiting time in traffic is .$.50 a minute so I'd expect to pay about $30. Most direct route would be Broadway to Denney, West on Denney to Elliott Ave and into Pier 91. The lights on that route are pretty well timed so you might be ok

"Link Light Rail" will get you and your family from the airport to downtown in 45 minutes and cost 2.50 per person. With luggage it can be a bit of a chore but easily managable. The Sheraton is the "University Station" stop I believe. It really boils down to what an additional $40 is worth for you?

As far as hotel to cruise terminal, a taxi or the shuttle express is the easist, but once again, the more expensive options. Several bus routes will get you close enough to walk half a mile or so, but that may not be an option if you have a large amount of luggage. If you are up for it however, route 15 runs frequently and takes you within .75 miles of the terminal. From there its an easy, flat walk on a clearly identified path the whole way to the gangway.

"Link Light Rail" will get you and your family from the airport to downtown in 45 minutes and cost 2.50 per person. With luggage it can be a bit of a chore but easily managable. The Sheraton is the "University Station" stop I believe. It really boils down to what an additional $40 is worth for you?

As far as hotel to cruise terminal, a taxi or the shuttle express is the easist, but once again, the more expensive options. Several bus routes will get you close enough to walk half a mile or so, but that may not be an option if you have a large amount of luggage. If you are up for it however, route 15 runs frequently and takes you within .75 miles of the terminal. From there its an easy, flat walk on a clearly identified path the whole way to the gangway.

I'm sorry but your advice is just simply wrong. Your asking 6 people to haul their bags quite a ways to get on light rail. The Sheraton would be closest to Westlake Station and then about a 2-3 block walk. There isn't any convenient way to take a Seattle bus to Pier 91. Even the metro sites caution against it. Since a shuttle is around $9 and a bus $2.50 for $6.50 your asking people unfamiliar with a city to haul their suitcases on a city bus not designed for psgrs with luggage and then find their way to the boat? I'm all for saving $$ but the extremes people do to save a few dollars hopefully is not the norm.

\6 People in a limo from Seatac would be around $60 tops. $10 pp seems a whole lot easier imho.

thanks for the info on tripadvisor, I've fav placed it

I read about the towncar from the airport, it states I can just pick up a phone in the terminal and request one BUT is it 24/7? We arrive right around 1am <which makes the train out of the question :( > Or would you advise me to reserve one, if that's possible?

I'm sorry but your advice is just simply wrong. Your asking 6 people to haul their bags quite a ways to get on light rail. The Sheraton would be closest to Westlake Station and then about a 2-3 block walk. There isn't any convenient way to take a Seattle bus to Pier 91. Even the metro sites caution against it. Since a shuttle is around $9 and a bus $2.50 for $6.50 your asking people unfamiliar with a city to haul their suitcases on a city bus not designed for psgrs with luggage and then find their way to the boat? I'm all for saving $$ but the extremes people do to save a few dollars hopefully is not the norm.

\6 People in a limo from Seatac would be around $60 tops. $10 pp seems a whole lot easier imho.

The OP asked for the least expensive option, not the easiest. I have done it many times with luggage before and I have found it easier than I expected, the least expensive, but not the easiest. I advised the OP that it is a chore and I assumed they understood that bus and light rail do not have the ammenities meant for hauling passengers with luggage that some of the more expensive options have.

These were options not yet mentioned. I don't appreciate the flame.

sorry, your advice to take lt rail to University is wrong. To Sheraton they would have to walk 3 blocks up a steep hill hauling luggage. People read these posts and will actually believe you can haul 6-12 bags on a city bus and take it to pier 91. Its not practical and for the cost difference, for most people it simply isn't worth it.

I agree people ask about the cheapest but for most travelers the cheapest isn't the most practical.

For Delta, American and Continental arrivals the lt rail station will involve walking the entire length of the airport baggage claim area to about carousel 14 go up one floor across skybridge then walk the width of the parking garage. For 6 people with luggage its not always practical. Of course you'd be saving $7.50 pp so I understand the extreme cost savings over having a limo pick you up

I just have to chime in and agree with David. I've been doing extensive research on how to get 4 adults (2 of whom haven't really travelled) from SEATAC to downtown. Many people stated how easy it was to take the light rail. But upon further research I've now found they are doing some construction at one of the sites, you have to walk a ways at the airport and the signage at the airport isn't very good. For a little bit extra we will be taking a town car. It comes out to around $12.00 a person and they will pick us up directly outside the luggage carousel. I find this to be the easiest and most cost effective.

thank you for that. I'm in the tour business and see people sometimes over stressing on silly things when they should be enjoying their vacation. I know I always spend $$ differently when traveling than when I'm at home. Its supposed to be a vacation.

Bus Service

King County Metro serves the Bell Street Pier Cruise Terminal at Pier 66 and Smith Cove Cruise Terminal at Pier 91.

Bell Street Cruise Terminal at Pier 66

• Ride Route #99 to the Bell Street Cruise Terminal stop located directly across the street from Pier 66. For bus schedules visit King County Metro.

Smith Cove Cruise Terminal at Pier 91

• Ride Routes #15, #19, #24, and #33 to the Smith Cove Cruise Terminal at Pier 91. The bus stop is located at the top of the Magnolia Bridge. To access the cruise terminal, passengers proceed down a steep staircase which connects to a catwalk underneath the bridge. Note: The staircase is directly adjacent to the bus stop on the same side of the roadway. The walkway leads to another staircase that descends to Pier 91. Once at ground level, passengers walk .4 miles to the cruise terminal building. The pier is an industrial setting with large trucks, buses and taxis. Access from bus stop to the pier is not ADA accessible. No elevator or shuttle is available from the bus stop to the cruise terminal. For bus schedules visit King County Metro.

The OP asked for the least expensive option, not the easiest. I have done it many times with luggage before and I have found it easier than I expected, the least expensive, but not the easiest. I advised the OP that it is a chore and I assumed they understood that bus and light rail do not have the ammenities meant for hauling passengers with luggage that some of the more expensive options have.

These were options not yet mentioned. I don't appreciate the flame.

The OP also said they were arriving at 12:42 AM. That would necessitate them waiting at the airport train station for 4+ hours until the first train at 5:05 AM.

Does Seattle offer a set cab rate from the airport to the port? I know in Miami they do this and in the past, it came out cheaper to take the free shuttle from the hotel back to the airport, then take a cab from there. We are coming in one day before our cruise, so we are not doing any sightseeing in Seattle until after the cruise.

Does Seattle offer a set cab rate from the airport to the port? I know in Miami they do this and in the past, it came out cheaper to take the free shuttle from the hotel back to the airport, then take a cab from there. We are coming in one day before our cruise, so we are not doing any sightseeing in Seattle until after the cruise.

If you look in the SEATTLE STICKY above, I think the last message has info on limo and taxi fares to downtown or the pier.

We will be staying at the Silver Cloud-Stadium. We are going to take the light rail from the airport. We can either call the hotel to pick us up from the light rail station ot just walk, it is only about 2 blocks. They will also take you to places around town. We are going to the Space Needle and they will take us and pick us up. They will also take us to the cruise terminal the morning of the cruise. They are right across the street from where the Seattle Mariners play, so we are gonna go catch a game too. We will be getting a transfer from the cruiseline back to the airport when we return.

The Link Light Rail is the best option by far. I'm a local and do it all the time. If you have a small suitcase and shoulder bag you are fine. (More bags than that take a cab not because of hills but its a pain to manage two large suitcases on public tranist - unless you are fit and it's not rush hour meaning full trains)

Just walk over to Westlake Center. The bus/rail tunnel runs right under it. Buy a one way ticket on the Link light rail ticket machine (Credit/Cash). . Take it to the last stop (airport) and you are in the terminal. About a 35 - 40 minute ride. Depending on time of day trains run every 8 - 10 minutes. (15 minutes late night)

The Link Light Rail is the best option by far. I'm a local and do it all the time. If you have a small suitcase and shoulder bag you are fine. (More bags than that take a cab not because of hills but its a pain to manage two large suitcases on public tranist - unless you are fit and it's not rush hour meaning full trains)

Just walk over to Westlake Center. The bus/rail tunnel runs right under it. Buy a one way ticket on the Link light rail ticket machine (Credit/Cash). . Take it to the last stop (airport) and you are in the terminal. About a 35 - 40 minute ride. Depending on time of day trains run every 8 - 10 minutes. (15 minutes late night)

My DH is set on taking the light rail next month, to save money. How far of a walk is it at the airport to get on the rail? We will each have a large suit case and one carry on a peice, but he thinks we can manage it.

Archived