Chair hogs--Proactive

Darthdaddy

C'mon, people. Let's stay focused.

What can be done to improve the situation?

So far we have some pretty good ideas:

1. better signage

2. major emphasis at start of cruise to discourage the hogs

3. removal of items place on chairs in pre-dawn hours

4. sign/sticker on every chair describing time limit

5. timers of all sorts and descriptions

6. chair attendants

7. direct contact to cruise line management

8. use of social media to expose the hogs.

9. self-help

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. The point is to find cheap and easy tools to correct the problem. Keep the ideas coming.

;) :o Sorry Darthdaddy guess we got a little sidetracked by the sunglass in the buffet story.

Back to your list above. I can't possibly think there are many other solutions out there and if a 10 page thread doesn't convince NCL that passengers are tired of this and are wanting them to come up with a creative and helpful way to deal with it. Sorry to say, but I really don't think anything will. JMO

Do away with all deck beds and provide a rentable folding chair/bed that you bring out when you want to sit or lye on deck, then take it way when done.

or bring your own.

otherwise you will always get the pax who reserve thier beds at 7am with towls and then go back to bed.

only returning after breakfast about 11am. Grrr.

or better still, reserver thier beds before going on a morning trip only to return to the reserved bed in the afternoon. Grrrr

Do away with all deck beds and provide a rentable folding chair/bed that you bring out when you want to sit or lye on deck, then take it way when done.

or bring your own.

otherwise you will always get the pax who reserve thier beds at 7am with towls and then go back to bed.

only returning after breakfast about 11am. Grrr.

or better still, reserver thier beds before going on a morning trip only to return to the reserved bed in the afternoon. Grrrr

Or! Just , aggressively enforce the time limit and never mind the complaints. Bottom line, you will adhere to the rules of the ship or your banned. Harsh but I bet it would put and end to that nonsense. The only reason people do that is because they are not challenged. I understand that on Royal Caribbean, they have timers of some type and remove items after the time has passed.

I understand that on Royal Caribbean, they have timers of some type and remove items after the time has passed.

Can anyone confirm this? I realize that this is a Norwegian board, but there must be a few who have cruised on the Dark Side recently.

Although the means of addressing the problem may differ, most seem to agree with Bogofman's larger point that this behavior continues because that it is tolerated. When it is no longer tolerated, it will end.

Any more thoughts out there?

Can anyone confirm this? I realize that this is a Norwegian board, but there must be a few who have cruised on the Dark Side recently.

Although the means of addressing the problem may differ, most seem to agree with Bogofman's larger point that this behavior continues because that it is tolerated. When it is no longer tolerated, it will end.

heheh "dark side" - thanks for the chuckle.

I've read all the chair hog posts and I'm still scratching my head because wouldn't a simple announcement, like during the muster drill be sufficient? Even a daily announcement would help no?

This is like anything else in life. People will take advantage until those responsible for enforcing the rules say "I am sorry that is against policy" and remedy the situation. Once that is done on a regular basis it becomes expected. The solution is simple NCL enforce the rules now and it will become the expectation of all involved. Making the job easier with each successive trip.:D

heheh "dark side" - thanks for the chuckle.

I've read all the chair hog posts and I'm still scratching my head because wouldn't a simple announcement, like during the muster drill be sufficient? Even a daily announcement would help no?

Yup very good idea except from what I'm reading on these thread there are folks who can simply tune out those announcements because they've heard way too many "come play bingo".

Chair hogs are obnoxious boobs addicted to their self-referential entitlements. We who fret about such behavior and consider how it might be mitigated are quiet, polite and effacing. No surprise the cruise line and crew members tend to defer to the boobs.

To: Mikewrit

Just noticed that you served aboard the USS Princeton.

On this Memorial Day (in U.S.) weekend let me say, "Thank you for your service!"

My daughter graduated from West Point 5 yrs ago today. She serves in Iraq, as we fuss over selfish fools hogging deck chairs on cruise ships.

I hope everyone participating in this and other CC threads will take a moment and remember those who have sacrificed so much.

Darthdaddy, you had me lmao with that one. I think the timer thing was in a post on the Carnival board but here is a post from the "Dark Side" about enforcement. Way to go RCCI, keep it up.

This first - Good one!

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1411200

http://boards11.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1386214

Darthdaddy, you had me lmao with that one. I think the timer thing was in a post on the Carnival board but here is a post from the "Dark Side" about enforcement. Way to go RCCI, keep it up.

This first - Good one!

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1411200

http://boards11.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1386214

Wow now if we could get NCL to do the same.

To: Mikewrit

Just noticed that you served aboard the USS Princeton.

On this Memorial Day (in U.S.) weekend let me say, "Thank you for your service!"

My daughter graduated from West Point 5 yrs ago today. She serves in Iraq, as we fuss over selfish fools hogging deck chairs on cruise ships.

I hope everyone participating in this and other CC threads will take a moment and remember those who have sacrificed so much.

Thank you, Mike and to all our service people.

Different cruise line... Same problem... Something being done about it... I could hardly believe my eyes! Their solution doesn't look too complicated. Maybe NCL will follow their example.

Different cruise line... Same problem... Something being done about it... I could hardly believe my eyes! Their solution doesn't look too complicated. Maybe NCL will follow their example.

Posting pix strikes me as a powerful tool in correcting the behavior of chair hogs. The same goes for competition in the marketplace. If Royal Caribbean can figure out how to address the problem, then so can NCL. If NCL refuses to do so, it will be at a disadvantage (except with those who enjoy a rousing week of competitive chair hogging).

Most CC members probably remember the TV show on which Kevin Sheehan pretended to be a crew member in order to get the real story about how NCL ships run. I wish a crew member had taken him to the pool area at 6:00am to show him the rows of deck chairs "saved" by phantoms of the night. Likewise, a mid-afternoon visit would have revealed row upon row of unoccupied chairs awaiting the return of their "owners" from a two-hour lunch, bingo, midday nap, or other equally compelling diversion. After experiencing this first hand, I would hope Mr. Sheehan would have issued instructions to hotel directors throughout the fleet that the situation is crazy, indefensible, unnecessary and correctable.

As others have stated, the behavior persists because NCL tolerates it. Stop tolerating/enabling the hogs and the behavior will change.

Posting pix strikes me as a powerful tool in correcting the behavior of chair hogs. The same goes for competition in the marketplace. If Royal Caribbean can figure out how to address the problem, then so can NCL. If NCL refuses to do so, it will be at a disadvantage (except with those who enjoy a rousing week of competitive chair hogging).

Most CC members probably remember the TV show on which Kevin Sheehan pretended to be a crew member in order to get the real story about how NCL ships run. I wish a crew member had taken him to the pool area at 6:00am to show him the rows of deck chairs "saved" by phantoms of the night. Likewise, a mid-afternoon visit would have revealed row upon row of unoccupied chairs awaiting the return of their "owners" from a two-hour lunch, bingo, midday nap, or other equally compelling diversion. After experiencing this first hand, I would hope Mr. Sheehan would have issued instructions to hotel directors throughout the fleet that the situation is crazy, indefensible, unnecessary and correctable.

As others have stated, the behavior persists because NCL tolerates it. Stop tolerating/enabling the hogs and the behavior will change.

Wow, you make it seem to be an NCL only problem. :confused:

PE

OK. I began this post by going into my bedroom and putting on my flame retardant underwear and then stopping in the kitchen to pick up the fire extinguisher...

Deep breath.... When that series on TV first started, I thought, 'what a great way to get an inside view of what is really going on,' and for some episodes, it was somewhat evident that was happening. However, for many episodes, including the one featuring Mr. Sheehan, it is my humble opinion that the entire thing was a well orchestrated promotional event, with a few employee rewards for staff carefully identified in advance. (Again... IMHO) I was not impressed.

Wow' date=' you make it seem to be an NCL only problem. :confused:

PE[/color']

Any fair and reasoned reading of my posts on this topic would establish that I see chair hogging as a problem that extends beyond NCL. That said, posts to which I responded were specific to actions taken by Royal Caribbean to address the problem. In that context the comparison between RCCL and NCL was direct. To my knowledge Kevin Sheehan is the only cruise industry CEO to appear on the TV show referenced. Accordingly, my comments were directed toward him and NCL.

The greater point is that corrective action is not only possible, but need be neither expensive nor complex. I understand the feelings of some that the solution is one of self-help. I continue to believe that this is an issue best handled by ship's staff. Passengers are not expected to police the dress code or smoking rules. Why should we have to enforce the anti-hogging rules?

Were senior management to direct that the chair hogging culture would no longer be tolerated, it would be changed. Effort wiould be required---particularly at the start of each cruise---but it would change.

Not everyone places the same importance on this issue, so be it. Still, no one other than the offenders can actually embrace the status quo. Articulation and enforcement of a policy is really all that most seek. The task appears to be to get senior management to recognize the competitive advantage that can be gained by the cruise line that takes this action. My preference is for NCL to gain that advantage.

OK. I began this post by going into my bedroom and putting on my flame retardant underwear and then stopping in the kitchen to pick up the fire extinguisher...

Deep breath.... When that series on TV first started, I thought, 'what a great way to get an inside view of what is really going on,' and for some episodes, it was somewhat evident that was happening. However, for many episodes, including the one featuring Mr. Sheehan, it is my humble opinion that the entire thing was a well orchestrated promotional event, with a few employee rewards for staff carefully identified in advance. (Again... IMHO) I was not impressed.

My reaction to that show followed pretty much the same path. Isn't that underwear getting itchy? ;)

The pix of a cruise line's staff simply and effectively handling the issue won me over. If they can do it, so can NCL.... no excuses.

I'll bring the marshmallows. I agree! :D

Never seen the show, nor can I get it online due to my physical location. But I have a fair idea on what it is about. Whether this is for real or as other posters feel (and I have a tendency to agree) staged for entertainment purposes. It probably would give him a little taste of what his employees endure.

I think truthfully he could only get a feeling for things that aren't working for customers (like chair hogs) by being a "mystery shopper" and I don't mean put him up in a GV. Have him in a category equivalent to the broader portion of his passengers, try to lounge by the pool, eat in the MDRs and buffets, go to the shows, interact in the activities etc.

Because I don't feel looking at the chairs occupied by the towels would give him the same feeling as the frustration of trying to find an empty one.

Here is a thought! Next time you attend a cruist critic meet and mingle and the powers to be attend we need to start hitting them with this issue. Just maybe something will be done if it happens at every meet and mingle there is. Just a thought!

I think this alone could alleviate a lot of issues. I am not one to sit and bake in the sun. I want to use the pool and slides, but not take up a chair for those would like to lay out in one.

This is a great idea. We don't sit in the sun, either, but use the hot tubs, pool and slides. We take only one chair as it is for our stuff and to sit and dry off afterward, but this could be done in a storage area with a bench.

We went to the hot tub early in a.m. and I watched the chair hogs in action. There was no sign on the Epic in Spice that I saw to discourage it. They'd swarm in and mark their territories in droves. The ship was not full and I didn't have a problem when we'd return later in p.m. to the hot tub. I don't know how things went in the prime sunning times as we tried to avoid those.

Archived