Chair hogs--Proactive

Darthdaddy

I am going out at 6 am and removing EVERY saved item and placing them in a pile on a table. Moving the chairs around and then finding my spot. Chair hogs, hoarders or whatever you call them are selfish. NCL do something about this. PLEASE. These threads make me think that newcomers would never cruise because of this. You need new business to survive.

I can honestly say we never had an issue finding lounge chairs on the Sun in Jan. Maybe because it's not prime vacation season but we always found chairs somewhere. We didn't care if it was right by the pool or on an upper deck. Frankly going at out 6am and moving everyones stuff sounds way too much like work to me.:eek:

I am going out at 6 am and removing EVERY saved item and placing them in a pile on a table.

I posted on another thread that I will not be looking to NCL to handle this for me, that I will simply ensure that a chair has been abandoned for more than 30 minutes, remove the items and make myself comfortable. In the same post I encouraged others to consider doing the same.

Just about 24 hours ago you responded to my post saying that you respectfully disagreed with me. Your comments included the following statement: "I worry that free for all vigilante justice will cause more conflicts than solve a problem. They must enforce the rules or take the rule away."

Your current post stating that you are "... going out at 6 am and removing EVERY saved item and placing them in a pile on a table" sounds much more like 'vigilante justice' than my suggestion that we simply identify a chair that has been abandoned for more than 30 minutes, remove the items and make ourselves comfortable. I have no thoughts toward 'punishing' all chair hogs, but rather implementing a solution that will help myself and others to find seating when we need it.

I posted on another thread that I will not be looking to NCL to handle this for me, that I will simply ensure that a chair has been abandoned for more than 30 minutes, remove the items and make myself comfortable. In the same post I encouraged others to consider doing the same.

Just about 24 hours ago you responded to my post saying that you respectfully disagreed with me. Your comments included the following statement:"I worry that free for all vigilante justice will cause more conflicts than solve a problem. They must enforce the rules or take the rule away."

Your current post stating that you are "... going out at 6 am and removing EVERY saved item and placing them in a pile on a table" sounds much more like 'vigilante justice' than my suggestion that we simply identify a chair that has been abandoned for more than 30 minutes, remove the items and make ourselves comfortable. I have no thoughts toward 'punishing' all chair hogs, but rather implementing a solution that will help myself and others to find seating when we need it.

I wish everyone was so reasonable, WinterSky! kudos!

On our last NCL cruise from NYC to the Bahamas/FL, I noticed an inordinate amount of chair pigs. It never really impacted us because we're not normally the type to bake in the sun. But just seeing so many selfish, self centered people with such incredible levels of self importance just makes my blood boil.

Be that as it may, one day, we did decide to head out and relax at the pool. My partner and I had a late night the evening before, too many cocktails and not enough sleep. The idea of doing absolutely nothing was pretty appealing. Shockingly, we found two loungers by the pool. We both laid out and chatted, read books, swam a few minutes, etc... I noticed right next to us were three other loungers, piled with magazines and towels. Clearly a chair pig at work. Wasn't my problem so it didn't concern me, just rolled my eyes and ignored it.

About an hour or so passed and I see a young Mom with three kids in tow, scouring the deck for a place to sit. I kept seeing her stroll by, clearly getting frustrated, while her kids just wanted to get in the water. Since no one had ever returned to the loungers next to me, I waved at her and called her over. I explained that we'd been there for more than an hour and no one had claimed their things. I went so far as to say it was pretty clear someone with an incredible sense of entitlement simply plopped their garbage down and left to come back later at their leisure.

She was so nice, said she didn't want to bother anyone, that she would continue to look. The poor lady was wrestling with three squiggly kids, an armload of towels, a beach bag & water toys, etc... I smiled, moved to the three vacant loungers, scooped up everything on them and dumped them in a pile next to my own seat. I then told her not to worry, that she didn't do a thing, that I did. I'd deal with whoever showed up, that I had no problem turning the issue back on the offenders.

She sat down, her kids ran off to swim and all was fine.

Sure enough, about 45 minutes later, two middle aged women and a gentleman came by, looking for their seats. They stood in front of the mom and her kids, loudly proclaiming how rude people were, that they "reserved" their seats, how dare someone move their things. They never did say anything directly to the family, just made comments in that irritating passive aggressive way some folks are prone to.

The young mom was getting more and more embarrassed and uncomfortable by the second. I sat forward, looked over my sunglasses at the three and said, "I've been here for two hours now. Your crap was here before me. I moved your garbage over there so others could use these seats. She did nothing. I did it. Have a problem, complain to customer service. The only rude people here are you. Now... Go. Away." And just stared at them with blood shot eyes while they muttered and scuttled off with their things.

I was rewarded with their glares, a smile from the Mom and a couple bloody marys from my partner, who snickered to himself during the entire exchange.

Hell hath no fury like a hungover dude. :cool:

I want you on my cruise! Way to go!

On our last NCL cruise from NYC to the Bahamas/FL, I noticed an inordinate amount of chair pigs. It never really impacted us because we're not normally the type to bake in the sun. But just seeing so many selfish, self centered people with such incredible levels of self importance just makes my blood boil.

Be that as it may, one day, we did decide to head out and relax at the pool. My partner and I had a late night the evening before, too many cocktails and not enough sleep. The idea of doing absolutely nothing was pretty appealing. Shockingly, we found two loungers by the pool. We both laid out and chatted, read books, swam a few minutes, etc... I noticed right next to us were three other loungers, piled with magazines and towels. Clearly a chair pig at work. Wasn't my problem so it didn't concern me, just rolled my eyes and ignored it.

About an hour or so passed and I see a young Mom with three kids in tow, scouring the deck for a place to sit. I kept seeing her stroll by, clearly getting frustrated, while her kids just wanted to get in the water. Since no one had ever returned to the loungers next to me, I waved at her and called her over. I explained that we'd been there for more than an hour and no one had claimed their things. I went so far as to say it was pretty clear someone with an incredible sense of entitlement simply plopped their garbage down and left to come back later at their leisure.

She was so nice, said she didn't want to bother anyone, that she would continue to look. The poor lady was wrestling with three squiggly kids, an armload of towels, a beach bag & water toys, etc... I smiled, moved to the three vacant loungers, scooped up everything on them and dumped them in a pile next to my own seat. I then told her not to worry, that she didn't do a thing, that I did. I'd deal with whoever showed up, that I had no problem turning the issue back on the offenders.

She sat down, her kids ran off to swim and all was fine.

Sure enough, about 45 minutes later, two middle aged women and a gentleman came by, looking for their seats. They stood in front of the mom and her kids, loudly proclaiming how rude people were, that they "reserved" their seats, how dare someone move their things. They never did say anything directly to the family, just made comments in that irritating passive aggressive way some folks are prone to.

The young mom was getting more and more embarrassed and uncomfortable by the second. I sat forward, looked over my sunglasses at the three and said, "I've been here for two hours now. Your crap was here before me. I moved your garbage over there so others could use these seats. She did nothing. I did it. Have a problem, complain to customer service. The only rude people here are you. Now... Go. Away." And just stared at them with blood shot eyes while they muttered and scuttled off with their things.

I was rewarded with their glares, a smile from the Mom and a couple bloody marys from my partner, who snickered to himself during the entire exchange.

Hell hath no fury like a hungover dude. :cool:

FANTASTIC!!! My hat off to you

Just about 24 hours ago you responded to my post saying that you respectfully disagreed with me. Your comments included the following statement:"I worry that free for all vigilante justice will cause more conflicts than solve a problem. They must enforce the rules or take the rule away."

Sorry about that. It was the DH. He means well and has a different opinion than I. I still think NCL needs to enforce this rule. It is their responsibility. Thanks!

During the past month and a half, at least 5 threads have generated significant interest in the issue of chair hogs. This particular thread was created for the purpose of generating suggestions/solutions that could be cheaply and easily implemented by a cruise line. Recognizing that any cruise line is concerned with the preferences of its customers, the task is to convince NCL (and/or other lines) that this an issue of broad and enduring interest.

While there may be no agreement as to the full spectrum of chair hog behavior, there is at least general consensus that the worst of the species are those who lay claim to a deck chair and then disappear for hours to do as they please in full expectation that "their" chair(s) will be waiting undisturbed upon their return.

Several solutions have been proposed. These range from the expensive and complex to the simple and cheap. The common denominator is that the cruise line must partner with its passengers to enforce existing rules and change the wild west culture that fosters rude and ignorant behavior.

There are those who---understandably---say that nothing will change...hogs will be hogs. As someone remarked, "you can't cure stupid." Neither, unfortunately, can we naively expect "boorish" behavior to be self-correcting. If this is the case, how can NCl (or others) be convinced that this is something worth addressing? How can passengers make it clear that they the status quo is not acceptable?

As one old saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words." Another is that "the pen is mightier than the sword." I propose using social media to communicate the nature and extent of the chair hog infestation. Passengers can post pictures (many, many pictures) of empty deck chairs lined up in pre-dawn darkness with towels draped over their backs. Video of rank upon rank of "saved" chairs laying empty can be documented on You Tube. The sheer failure of cruise lines to take the problem seriously can be exposed.

6 months ago few could foresee the enormous changes that have swept through Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, etc. Without equating the importance of the issues involved, there are lessons to be learned from the tactics employed to effect change in those societies. Social media provided the tools to (a) highlight problems, (b) communicate solidarity, © organize a response, and (d) embolden action to force change.

I do not use Facebook. Neither do I tweet or post video on You Tube. Clearly, I am not the guy to put any of this place. Fortunately, there are others among us who have the skills necessary to make this happen. I propose something along the lines of a "Stamp out Chair Hogs" page on Facebook. This need not be limited to NCL passengers. Folks cruising on any line could document their experiences through pictures or anecdotes.

Moving forward, a cruise line (NCL, I hope) will tire of being embarrassed and will take the steps proposed on this and other threads to change the culture and eradicate the hogs. The cruise line that takes this action will enhance the experience of its passengers and---rightfully---grab an advantage in the marketplace.

None of this will cure cancer, comfort a child or end a war. Still, I am more convinced than ever that we have the capacity to effectuate change in this limited area.

As always, comment freely, but please be proactive.

During the past month and a half, at least 5 threads have generated significant interest in the issue of chair hogs. This particular thread was created for the purpose of generating suggestions/solutions that could be cheaply and easily implemented by a cruise line. Recognizing that any cruise line is concerned with the preferences of its customers, the task is to convince NCL (and/or other lines) that this an issue of broad and enduring interest.

While there may be no agreement as to the full spectrum of chair hog behavior, there is at least general consensus that the worst of the species are those who lay claim to a deck chair and then disappear for hours to do as they please in full expectation that "their" chair(s) will be waiting undisturbed upon their return.

Several solutions have been proposed. These range from the expensive and complex to the simple and cheap. The common denominator is that the cruise line must partner with its passengers to enforce existing rules and change the wild west culture that fosters rude and ignorant behavior.

There are those who---understandably---say that nothing will change...hogs will be hogs. As someone remarked, "you can't cure stupid." Neither, unfortunately, can we naively expect "boorish" behavior to be self-correcting. If this is the case, how can NCl (or others) be convinced that this is something worth addressing? How can passengers make it clear that they the status quo is not acceptable?

As one old saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words." Another is that "the pen is mightier than the sword." I propose using social media to communicate the nature and extent of the chair hog infestation. Passengers can post pictures (many, many pictures) of empty deck chairs lined up in pre-dawn darkness with towels draped over their backs. Video of rank upon rank of "saved" chairs laying empty can be documented on You Tube. The sheer failure of cruise lines to take the problem seriously can be exposed.

6 months ago few could foresee the enormous changes that have swept through Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, etc. Without equating the importance of the issues involved, there are lessons to be learned from the tactics employed to effect change in those societies. Social media provided the tools to (a) highlight problems, (b) communicate solidarity, © organize a response, and (d) embolden action to force change.

I do not use Facebook. Neither do I tweet or post video on You Tube. Clearly, I am not the guy to put any of this place. Fortunately, there are others among us who have the skills necessary to make this happen. I propose something along the lines of a "Stamp out Chair Hogs" page on Facebook. This need not be limited to NCL passengers. Folks cruising on any line could document their experiences through pictures or anecdotes.

Moving forward, a cruise line (NCL, I hope) will tire of being embarrassed and will take the steps proposed on this and other threads to change the culture and eradicate the hogs. The cruise line that takes this action will enhance the experience of its passengers and---rightfully---grab an advantage in the marketplace.

None of this will cure cancer, comfort a child or end a war. Still, I am more convinced than ever that we have the capacity to effectuate change in this limited area.

This is the best response I for one has read. Please post this as a new thread on the other lines pages. Maybe we can get a movement started?

I will admit I haven't read through this entire thread, but I'm willing to contribute my idea. :D

While I'm not a big fan of paying extra for things, I don't mind making a refundable deposit. On Royal Caribbean, they give you four beach towels at the beginning of your trip and say that as long as they are returned, they will cost you nothing (you can exchange wet for dry throughout your cruise), but if you do not return your towel, it's $20 per towel. Rather pricey, but it makes people return them. And just having that expensive towel has helped a little bit with the chair hogging on RCI ships....

But what if passengers had some way to put a "deposit" on a chair? Give them something of value? I'd hate to say hand over the key, because what if they need to buy a drink or make a quick run back to the room? Maybe before "renting" a chair, they could have their card swiped. And they must either reswipe in a certain amount of time or they get charged?

I don't know the logistics exactly... but some sort of deposit method might resolve the chair-hogging madness.

One thing that I hope comes out of all of these discussions about chair hogs is that we as a cruise community will take an active interest in each other and offer assistance when we can. As a group, we have the power to create a new 'norm'.

This.

Can this be our new motto?

I will admit I haven't read through this entire thread, but I'm willing to contribute my idea. :D

While I'm not a big fan of paying extra for things, I don't mind making a refundable deposit. On Royal Caribbean, they give you four beach towels at the beginning of your trip and say that as long as they are returned, they will cost you nothing (you can exchange wet for dry throughout your cruise), but if you do not return your towel, it's $20 per towel. Rather pricey, but it makes people return them. And just having that expensive towel has helped a little bit with the chair hogging on RCI ships....

But what if passengers had some way to put a "deposit" on a chair? Give them something of value? I'd hate to say hand over the key, because what if they need to buy a drink or make a quick run back to the room? Maybe before "renting" a chair, they could have their card swiped. And they must either reswipe in a certain amount of time or they get charged?

I don't know the logistics exactly... but some sort of deposit method might resolve the chair-hogging madness.

Like the swipe reswipe idea. How about this, save a chair for one hour by swiping your card at a central location at no cost. If you fail to return and swipe your card by the end of the hour, your room account would be charged 1/60th (1.67 Per minute) of 100.00 for every minute you do not return. Other than this, 4 towels, if they get lost 100 per towel. Not 20. That will make people think twice about leaving a towel.

During the past month and a half, at least 5 threads have generated significant interest in the issue of chair hogs.

I believe that threads about this issue surface every few weeks and have been doing so for years. The difference seems to be that people now recognize that it is OK to express how they feel about chair hogging, and that it is OK for them to proactively remove items in order to access abandoned chairs.

This particular thread was created for the purpose of generating suggestions/solutions that could be cheaply and easily implemented by a cruise line.

The purpose of this thread was indeed positive and creative. However, when all the suggestions offered are considered, it is obvious that the most economical and practical solution is already embedded in NCL's current 30 (60 on Epic) minute maximum chair holding policy.

Recognizing that any cruise line is concerned with the preferences of its customers, the task is to convince NCL (and/or other lines) that this an issue of broad and enduring interest.

Chair hogging has been an issue for all cruise lines for many, many years. Considering that it is common for virtually 'all' pool deck chairs to be saved very early in the morning, it is obvious that chair hogs are not a minority. They form a significant number of cruise passengers on board. This complicates things for the very reason you suggested... NCL is 'concerned with the preferences of its customers.'

Yes, this seems to be the common behavior of most chair hogs. However, they expect 'their' chairs to be waiting for them BECAUSE we as a cruise community have decided NOT to use the abandoned chairs.

I have come to believe that NCL has done its part by creating their maximum 30 (60 Epic) minute chair holding policy. All I would ask of NCL is to post more signs on the decks and give this policy a more prominent position in the dailies.

There are those who---understandably---say that nothing will change...hogs will be hogs. As someone remarked, "you can't cure stupid." Neither, unfortunately, can we naively expect "boorish" behavior to be self-correcting. If this is the case, how can NCl (or others) be convinced that this is something worth addressing?

Considering that this is, and has been for decades, an industry wide issue, and considering that chair hogs are a significant number of a cruise line's clientele, I believe that NCL has indicated that they feel the issue is worth addressing by putting their chair holding policy in place.

How can passengers make it clear that they the status quo is not acceptable?

Simply by removing items from abandoned chairs and making themselves comfortable. This is perfectly permissible within the chair holding policy put in place by NCL.

For what purpose? Passengers know about chair hogs. Cruise lines know about chair hogs. This all focuses on the wrong target. The problem is not NCL. The problem is the chair hogs! They alone fail to recognize, or care about, how their selfish behavior impacts others. When confronted with photos or threads on the issue, any chair hogs who bother to note, are full of excuses and justification.

Are you serious in drawing such a comparison?

I believe that what you are suggesting (Stamp out Chair Hogs) is incendiary, and would definitely escalate this issue in a negative and unproductive manner.

Moving forward, a cruise line (NCL, I hope) will tire of being embarrassed and will take the steps proposed on this and other threads to change the culture and eradicate the hogs.

I don't believe that NCL has any more reason to be embarrassed than we as passengers do for our part in encouraging the selfish behavior of chair hogs.

We don't need to act in a loud, aggressive manner about this. All we have to do is remove items from abandoned chairs and make ourselves comfortable. When we do this on a regular basis, we simply and quietly create a new 'norm.'

Effecting change doesn't necessarily come with a sledge hammer. Loudness, noise and aggression betray weakness and insecurity, and a sense of helplessness. Quiet, calm, confident and consistent action reveals strength and bears much more power to effect change.

The cruise line that takes this action will enhance the experience of its passengers and---rightfully---grab an advantage in the marketplace.

None of this will cure cancer, comfort a child or end a war.

Again... I don't see how these issues can hold any comparative value when we are only talking about bad manners. The same bad manners you encounter in any public place, not just on cruise ships.

Still, I am more convinced than ever that we have the capacity to effectuate change in this limited area.

I agree with you that we as a cruise community can effect change. I disagree with the aggressive campaigning you have suggested. The people who need to be educated are the chair hogs. They can only be educated by having a new experience and we can provide that learning opportunity for them.

Simply remove items from abandoned chairs and have a seat!

We're not in Grade School here. We don't need the teacher to help us find a seat.

Thank you for this good discussion!

Thank you for this good discussion!

“Considering that it is common for virtually 'all' pool deck chairs to be saved very early in the morning, it is obvious that chair hogs are not a minority. They form a significant number of cruise passengers on board. This complicates things for the very reason you suggested... NCL is 'concerned with the preferences of its customers.'”

I’m not really sure that I totally agree with this statement. Perhaps its my wish not to believe that we live in such a selfish world. I really think this has gotten to this magnitude because the people who wouldn’t think to do something like this in other places have now felt this is the only way they can get a lounger as well. I really think it is a more of a mentality of “if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em

“I have come to believe that NCL has done its part by creating their maximum 30 (60 Epic) minute chair holding policy. All I would ask of NCL is to post more signs on the decks and give this policy a more prominent position in the dailies. ”

I don’t believe NCL has done it’s part by your 1st sentence, but I do believe they would be going in the right direction in your 2nd sentence. But even if this helped in the short term I think it would be quickly returned when passengers realized NCL really did nothing to enforce it.

“Simply by removing items from abandoned chairs and making themselves comfortable. This is perfectly permissible within the chair holding policy put in place by NCL.”

Although I agree, this is perfectly permissible to do. I would personally not do this for a couple of reasons. #1 I have no intention of standing around doing nothing for 30 or 60 minutes timing a chair while I am on vacation. Nor would I take the word of a passenger next to that lounger if I was going to take someone’s chair. (not that I necessarily would think they were lying but I wouldn’t trust their concept of time while laying out relaxing). #2 The last thing I want when I’m on vacation is stress or hassle from an angry return hogger.

Therefore if many people feel like I do, self service won't solve the chair problem it will just get you a lounger. I'd like a solution to solve the problem.

Each chair should have a disc on the back (like a parking disc) that you set to the time that you were last present at the chair.

Once 30 minutes have elapsed, it will be quite obvious, and the chair can be taken.

Some people might be tempted to change the time on the disc every half hour (as some motorists do) but this would usually cause them too much hassle.

A fairly simple and inexpensive solution?

Each chair should have a disc on the back (like a parking disc) that you set to the time that you were last present at the chair.

Once 30 minutes have elapsed, it will be quite obvious, and the chair can be taken.

Some people might be tempted to change the time on the disc every half hour (as some motorists do) but this would usually cause them too much hassle.

A fairly simple and inexpensive solution?

Love it.

And only the inhabitant may re-set it. Not one person re-setting eight chairs every half hour.

Love it.

And only the inhabitant may re-set it. Not one person re-setting eight chairs every half hour.

I have cruised on many different lines and always thought chair hogging was more of a problem on NCL and then Carnival. This thread just seems to confirm that NCL really does have a problem here.

..... Therefore if many people feel like I do, self service won't solve the chair problem it will just get you a lounger. I'd like a solution to solve the problem.

Those who have decided to 'join' the chair hogs so that they will have a chair, would appear to have the same selfish inclination.

If self service will "get you a lounger," the problem is solved. It is about being able to find a seat when we need one, not changing other people's personalities.

If we plan to spend some time enjoying the pool deck, 30 minutes is going to fly by and not really be 'waiting' as we enjoy the outdoor buffet, have a drink at the bar, swim in the pool or relax on the bench that surrounds the pool. Before we know it, we have identified an abandoned chair, removed the items, moved the chair and made ourselves comfortable. Chair hogging problem solved!

Those who have decided to 'join' the chair hogs so that they will have a chair, would appear to have the same selfish inclination.

If self service will "get you a lounger," the problem is solved. It is about being able to find a seat when we need one, not changing other people's personalities.

If we plan to spend some time enjoying the pool deck, 30 minutes is going to fly by and not really be 'waiting' as we enjoy the outdoor buffet, have a drink at the bar, swim in the pool or relax on the bench that surrounds the pool. Before we know it, we have identified an abandoned chair, removed the items, moved the chair and made ourselves comfortable. Chair hogging problem solved!

Well Wintersky as I said if this is what you wish to do, I support you 100% as you are in your right, as this is NCL's policy.

However, I'm more inclined to go with Darthdaddy and believe this is a universal problem that appears to be growing worse and would like to see the whole problem solved. I don't wish to change other peoples personalities just NCL's enforcement or creative initiative to limit this type of behavior (whichever it takes).

But good luck to you and happy lounging.

One of the morning TV shows (U.S.) had a segment today about a site on You Tube dealing with people who talk loudly and/or are otherwise rude, obnoxious, and self-centered when using a cell phone. Since this roughly parallels the egocentric behavior of the chair hogs, the story got my attention.

I located the site---it's pretty funny. The guy posting the video uses humor to demonstrate how badly people behave when on their cell phones. I would post a link, but don't know how. Search for "talking loud on big cell phone" and you should find it. Despite my tech-challenged nature, the point is that You Tube and other tools are already being used to identify problems and---perhaps---communicate ways to lessen or eliminate them.

I also noticed that there is a Cruise Critic "channel" on You Tube. This is primarily used by folks walking around giving video tours of various ships. I see no reason why this couldn't be used to highlight instances of "hog heaven," those rows of deck chairs occupied only by draped towels, lonely paperbacks and abandoned flip-flops.

Certainly, we could all be more considerate, but that will always have its limits. Yes, "law abiding" passengers can exercise self-help and remove items from abandoned chairs. Noentheless, I just don't see this as something that is properly dumped onto other passengers to enforce. It is NOT unreasonable to expect a cruise line to enforce its rules for the communal benefit. We would expect nothing less regarding other forms of impermissible onboard behavior.

P.S. keep the suggestions coming. Remember the goal is to generate solutions, not just complaints or snarky comments.

I understand wanting NCL to solve the problem and I have no objection if they enforced their current rules. But most of the suggestions are going to cost money and I don't want my cruise fare going up in order to solve something that I don't find to be a major problem.

Whatever they did, even with the perfect solution, there is no guarantee that you won't have to wait 30 minutes for the next available chair so the idea that that is too long to wait is unrealistic IMO. It flies by pretty quickly when you are on the pool deck looking for a chair.

I suggest more signage and that people feel free to move a chair that they have found to be unused for 30 minutes.

ETA: And I repeat my wish for cubbies for our belongings if we don't want a lounger.

Whatever they did, even with the perfect solution, there is no guarantee that you won't have to wait 30 minutes for the next available chair so the idea that that is too long to wait is unrealistic IMO. It flies by pretty quickly when you are on the pool deck looking for a chair.

Mooder I looked over the last couple pages of posts and I think this was directed at me. If it was, what I actually said was I wasn't standing around timing a chair for 30 or 60 mins to take matters in my own hands and remove chair hogs items.

Honestly, my method of being proactive is not letting the chair hogs win the battle. I will continue to move their things as necessary, whether for myself or for someone else who feels uncomfortable doing so. I won't be aggressive about it, but if someone with an incredible sense of entitlement impacts my own life, I see no problem dealing with the situation. And if they have any comments to make, I will rebut by making sure they hear my own thoughts.

It's clear NCL, RCCL and other lines either don't care, can't be bothered or don't want to ruffle their passengers' feathers, hence their inaction. Putting a sign up on the pool deck does nothing. If we as passengers can point out the chair hogs, surely their own staff can do the same yet they choose not to. So it's our responsibility to put an end to it by being proactive and moving their things, whether to a table, a staff member, or to a very wet, watered down deck.

Archived