What currency in the Caribbean?

alvin moondust

U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere. Just try to have smaller bills for small purchases. You don't want to use a $100 bill for a $3 purchase!!!! You don't want local currency as change! I would cash TC's BEFORE you go ashore...not everyone will accept them.

U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere. You don't want local currency as change!

I always try to get some small change in the local currency, as a souvenir. Ironically, on our last trip I had trouble getting a Bahamanian Dollar bill in Nassau. All they had in the cash register was U.S. Dollars. Bermudan quarters are great, specially if you are a referee and need to do coin flips, because there is a head (QE II) on one side, and a bird with a very long tail on the reverse.

We go to our bank at home (at our leisure) & get a nice breakdown of American cash before each trip. We'll take some 100's, some 50s, several 20s, 10s, & usually a hundred in singles. We'll take a lil bit on each island & the rest in the cabin safe. The singles are great for tipping & barganing on island purchases

Nothing worse than wasting your vaulable vacation time waiting in line to change bills at the pursers desk (or wherever). There is ALWAYS something better to be doing on the ship! :)

I didn't even know people use Traveler's Cheques anymore. We always just take cash and a credit card. We use cash (USD) for small purchases, snacks and taxis and put meals and larger purchases (anything over $20) on our credit card. Works out great!

We are able to purchase AMEX travelers checks at our bank commission free and always carry at least $500 worth with us in case we run short of cash (which we have been known to do). I think you would be surprised at the volume of t/c that get cashed at a pursers' desks...it saves on ATM fees.

Archived