Dunns falls excursion: worth the price?

Rfluter

We'll be going on the Allure in July. The Dunns Falls Express looks interesting. But is it worth the $69/pp? Any suggestions other than that excursion while in Jamaica? Thanks!

Do you want to climb a waterfall/wet rockwall? If so, then it's worth the price. If you're only doing it because that's what almost everyone does, then it's probably not worth it. Depends on what things interest you!

Cheaper to DIY if you feel comfortable dealing with local transportation.

Unlike the other poster, I did find it fun. I guess if everyone does it why follow the herd, where do you stop or start? Everyone goes cruising, everyone goes to Caribbean, everyone goes....

Just as long as you understand what you are getting into and know that it will be a long line of people holding hands in the middle of what is really now an artificial created stream :D

Would I do it again, yup, it was fun!

We'll be going on the Allure in July. The Dunns Falls Express looks interesting. But is it worth the $69/pp? Any suggestions other than that excursion while in Jamaica? Thanks!

Please define "worth it" in your words. Then, we might be able to help you determine if it's "worth it".

$69 is chump change to some, to others it can be the difference between eating the next 2 weeks or going hungry.

I haven't been recently, my visit was in 1988 or 1989 (I think). And at that time, it definitely was not a man-made stream, and there was not a solid line of folks. There were about 15 of us in our group. I wore a bathing suit (as recommended) and water shoes. It is quite a climb, but standing under the cascading falls and having your photo taken was fun.

It would be worth the $69 pp if you have an interest in seeing the foliage, and Dunns River Falls itself. It is one of the highlights of Jamaica, I believe.

If you aren't into physical activity, then it probably wouldn't be worth the cost.

1261586164_DunnsRiverFalls2.jpg.24b3a5d690f64b5eb2bea94ba884787d.jpg

413163324_DunnsRiverFalls3.jpg.26ac18e8256a668b5028de7d5a14ea96.jpg

We enjoyed it very much. My mother chose to walk along the stairway, but the rest of us had fun. I told my DH and 20 year old son that one of them should go in front of my then 78 year old father (who had a hip replaced the year before) and one should go behind him, and if they dropped him, there'd be no point in coming back to the ship because I'd just toss them overboard.

if you take the "guide path" which has been augmented with cement steps the climb is only as bad as climbing 10 flights of stairs . . .

up the middle is as hard as you decide to make it . . .

• 1 month later...

Your definition of "worth it" is needed to give a proper reply.

With that said ... it was worth it to me. I have done it twice now and recommend it if you like the idea of climbing a waterfall. This is a very unique experience and I think a highlight of Ocho Rios, Jamaica. It definitely is a physical activity and you should have good closed toe water shoes that are securely on your feet. My husband's shoes were a bit too loose and one kept coming off which caused a little slow down but still fun none the less. If you don't want to get wet and climb the falls, there is a stair case on the side to walk up. I wore a full bathing suit. Some were in shorts and t-shirts. There are lockers there to place your belongings. Keep in mind that there will most likely be sun so if you have sun burning issues, you may want to wear a close fitting t-shirt or something to cover your shoulders and arms ... or wear a good water proof sunscreen.

At the end of the climb there will be an option to buy the photo they take of you sitting in the water fall and also the video. I got both as there was a small group of us and we wanted the memory. Prices were reasonable.

There are also a few other booths with locals selling their trinkets and a couple food booths.

With the concerns of safety while traveling and being in a foreign country (even if seems that it is just Jamaica) ... I would select the cruise offered tour as the designated buses will take you to and from the ship.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

I haven't checked Allure's excursions, but when I visited Ochos Rios on Freedom, we had more than one choice of Dunns River Falls excursions. If that's the case, I'd recommend the one where you go there by boat. It's a nice boat ride and you avoid the high-pressure sales people who accost tourists returning to the parking lot. We enjoyed the excursion immensely. Yes, it may be one of those things "everyone" does, but there is a reason some landmarks become "must see" attractions!

Archived