Booking With US Sites & US TA's

I agree that Australia is a cash cow for cruiselines but money is money no matter where someone lives so why is it so hard for us.

In general, Australians pay more for international air travel, cruising, electronics, computers, cosmetics...and oh yes, cocaine (as reported on TV last week!) ...we are a very lucrative market for many things!

Cheers
ging466

The large non refundable deposits requested here are as big a rip off, as the inflated cruise fares.

It is just not fair to request [COLOR="Black"]non refundable deposits[/COLOR] of $1,000 pp, plus insurance premium.

I used to pay inflated insurance premiums also until I discovered low cost insurance on the internet.

With regard to Cruise Critic not being well known in Australia, word of mouth from respected experienced travellers amongst friends and colleagues works a treat!

[quote name='MMDown Under']I used to pay inflated insurance premiums also until I discovered low cost insurance on the internet.[/quote]

Same with me, MMDown Under...the internet has saved me a lot of money. I buy most of my cosmetics online because I'm not going to pay double in the shops here.

Gee, this thread has really got me started....I better get off my soap box because unfortunately I can't see it ever changing.:mad:

Cheers
ging466

[quote name='MMDown Under']The large non refundable deposits requested here are as big a rip off, as the inflated cruise fares.

It is just not fair to request [COLOR="Black"]non refundable deposits[/COLOR] of $1,000 pp, plus insurance premium.

I used to pay inflated insurance premiums also until I discovered low cost insurance on the internet.

With regard to Cruise Critic not being well known in Australia, word of mouth from respected experienced travellers amongst friends and colleagues works a treat![/QUOTE]

oh my goodness, i totally forgot about those inflated and huge non-refundable deposits payable when you book through even the online agencies in australia- in the US (not sure about europe) deposits can be as low as $100-$225 per person.

[quote name='ging466']Same with me, MMDown Under...the internet has saved me a lot of money. I buy most of my cosmetics online because I'm not going to pay double in the shops here.

Gee, this thread has really got me started....I better get off my soap box because unfortunately I can't see it ever changing.:mad:

Cheers
ging466[/QUOTE]

me too (to both) I buy my cosmetics and perfume online now
and I too had better get off my soap box ;) I'm SO cross right now!

The best thing are the FCC's that are offered on both Princess and HAL. We have a booking with Princess for next year and we just used our two F.C.C's for the deposit. The F.C.C.'s that we bought are in U.S. dollars. I know that if you buy them in Aussie dollars then they are not transferable for the overseas ships or when using a U.S. T.A.

We also receive gifts from our T.A. such as a free dinner in the Pinnacle Grill on HAL ships, or a bottle of wine and more OBC when cruising with Princess.

Why would anyone want to deal with an Australian T.A who charges top dollar and where one never receives a discount, a gift or if the price is reduced you do not get any refunds. As I mentioned I was a loyal customer to my Aussie T.A. for many years and after 2003, I made sure from asking U.S. friends who the good agents were in the U.S. and I then started to use them.

We were on HAL in November last year and there was no worry about boarding the ship in Athens. As I mentioned in an earlier post, who is going to stop you from boarding when you have paid for your cruise in full. Certainly not the people who work for the cruise line in the various cities where you embark. They haven't time to be checking how and where everyone paid.

I too have found good Australian insurance on the net. We take out a yearly insurance which covers everything.

Jennie

We need everyone to stand on their [COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]SOAPBOX[/SIZE][/COLOR] and yell and scream as loud as they can we can't allow these cruiselines to get away with it...:mad::mad::mad:

QUESTION FOR MR CRUISELINE: when i visit America or where ever and decide to take a last minute cruise in the area do i have to ring an agency in my resident country to book it ....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:..... Shiona

Does anyone know of passengers who have been denied boarding a ship because they purchased their cruise ticket through an offshore agent?

I'm wondering if USA and UK customers purchase their cruises on Princess ships the Dawn and Sun and the Pacific ships Dawn, Sun, Jewel and Pearl from Australian Agents because they give them a special deal.

I hate the thought of having my hands tied when it's my money I'm spending, and I should be able to choose whoever I want to purchase my travel with, especially online.... www (world wide web) that's what it's there for. :(

Jillybean

[quote name='Aussie Gal']The best thing are the FCC's that are offered on both Princess and HAL. We have a booking with Princess for next year and we just used our two F.C.C's for the deposit. The F.C.C.'s that we bought are in U.S. dollars. I know that if you buy them in Aussie dollars then they are not transferable for the overseas ships or when using a U.S. T.A.

We also receive gifts from our T.A. such as a free dinner in the Pinnacle Grill on HAL ships, or a bottle of wine and more OBC when cruising with Princess.

Why would anyone want to deal with an Australian T.A who charges top dollar and where one never receives a discount, a gift or if the price is reduced you do not get any refunds. As I mentioned I was a loyal customer to my Aussie T.A. for many years and after 2003, I made sure from asking U.S. friends who the good agents were in the U.S. and I then started to use them.

We were on HAL in November last year and there was no worry about boarding the ship in Athens. As I mentioned in an earlier post, who is going to stop you from boarding when you have paid for your cruise in full. Certainly not the people who work for the cruise line in the various cities where you embark. They haven't time to be checking how and where everyone paid.

I too have found good Australian insurance on the net. We take out a yearly insurance which covers everything.

Jennie[/quote]

hi aussie gal, i was on the Diamond recently and the only FCl i could have was the Australian one... i asked about the US FCL and i was told no....unless you know someone else they will stop you receiving a US one now

rkmw

[quote name='badgerbill']We need everyone to stand on their [COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]SOAPBOX[/SIZE][/COLOR] and yell and scream as loud as they can we can't allow these cruiselines to get away with it...:mad::mad::mad:

[B]QUESTION FOR MR CRUISELINE: when i visit America or where ever and decide to take a last minute cruise in the area do i have to ring an agency in my resident country to book it ...[/B].:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:..... Shiona[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]No you dont Shiona,
I have friends from the Gold Coast,
who had enough points to fly return to
Fort Lauderdale.
They did, and when they arrived went to a local TA,
and picked up last minute
Caribbean Cruises,
in fact 2, did one and then hopped on another and did another one,
then jumped on a jet and flew home.
The cruises where as cheap as chips.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hi all - interesting thread. Can someone tell me - if I paid a deposit to US Travel Agency - and Princess charge my cc for this deposit for an overseas cruise and then I have to pay Princess direct for the balance, how can they refuse me to board, when they have accepted my deposit, allocated me a cabin etc and accepted the balance. They have all our details (Australian passport/address etc) who we are etc as we have previously cruised Princess? Difference in price is $3000.

How can they refuse and who would check when boarding! We would all be boarding in a foreign country - not in the US.

Thanks

[quote name='Kiwi Kruzer'][SIZE=4][COLOR=RoyalBlue]No you dont Shiona,
I have friends from the Gold Coast,
who had enough points to fly return to
Fort Lauderdale.
They did, and when they arrived went to a local TA,
and picked up last minute
Caribbean Cruises,
in fact 2, did one and then hopped on another and did another one,
then jumped on a jet and flew home.
The cruises where as cheap as chips.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

Sorry David it was tongue in cheek:o:o.....aimed at the supposed one day when we are totally banned from buying from whom we choose because of our status......there are so many grey area's in what they are attempting..
cheers Shiona

MrSandy

I have no idea as to an answer to your question. It appears that quite a few here have been able to book passage through overseas online TA's with no problem - either with the booking or with the cruise.

Personally, I believe this problem originates from the cruiselines themselves - and is not some conspiracy hatched by Ozzie TA's.

The fact is that some cruiselines have set up offices here in Australia - and it appears to be these that have directed TA's in the US to not sell to Ozzies online. They appear to be wanting to force Ozzies to buy through the Oz offices. (the local TA's just deal with the local offices of these cruiselines)

Hence -- SOME overseas online TA's are following instructions from the cruiselines to refuse bookings from Ozzies - and some are not. (some people obey the speed signs - others do not, but still get away with it)

For me at least, I would never place a large amount of my money with anybody unless I and they were absolutely sure that all was OK - so while I do not deny the experiences of some here who have booked certain cruiselines online and gotten away with it - I will not!! I will only book through strictly legit channels. If it means that I can't sail with say Princess because they are too expensive for Ozzie cruisers, then so be it. There are plenty of other cruiselines that do not have offices here in Australia where we can book with them online. For example, I fancy a cruise around the British Isles with Fred Olsen lines - I doubt that could even be booked here in Oz, but it certainly can be done online. Please just don't winge IF you do somehow get caught out!!!

Barry

I discovered cruising in 2000.Ive have just completed my 20th and i have 3 more in the pipeline that will be completed by May.Panama Alaska and Mexico 35 days total.Two verandahs and 1 suite.Since 2000 that will be 23 cruises.

I have booked one Princess cruise using an Australian Agent 2 years back.The booking conditions were poor compared with US conditions and didnt offer Cruise Line price guarantee policy.
Prior to 2000 we still traveled extensively with simply taking Flights and booking Hotels and Houses.Goodnes knows how much money we have spent? Albeit alot with the Cruise Industry since 2000 and all were a minimum of 14days and mostly incurred o/s flights.
I want to holiday 3 times a year not once.

We always try to get the best deal and to date the best deal is not available using Australian Agents and their protected brochure prices and restrictive booking conditions.
If our access to book the cheapest deal we can get is denied we will simply go back to holidaying via alternate ways of having a good time which will be a total loss to the cruise industry.

As a nation we were told and educated by our governments 10 years back to embrace globalisation and free trade however clearly parts of the Australian travel industry didnt hear this along with our National Air Carrier, that just kept lobbying politicians.Thanks to a change of attitude, that changed and helped with the introduction of more carriers on protected routes.

I tend to cruise Celebrity RCCL Princess and Hal.

The Cruise Industry will simply loose a lot of business dollars (at least ours) if we are restricted.

Bazzaw

I don't think u understand the procedure. We book online with the US agent and the money goes direct to the cruiseline. How can that be giving your money to someone u don't know? If u book in Oz, yr money goes to the Travel Agent and u hope that it gets to the cruiseline.

However what u say about the cruiseline offices could be quite true.

Cheers
ging466

Look I really don't think our whinging and whining will make any difference. We are too small a market for them to care about and not enough people will do anything about it. I have told a number of friends but they still book with the Aussie agent...it's way easier than doing all the research.

If u r savvy enough, u will find a way and once u realise how much u save, u won't go back.

Cheers
ging466

I believe the big player that offered the free call number on their website was targeted here by the Australian travel industry because they were starting to get volume Australian sales .

I dont use them and its business as usual for me and i double check re any restrictions with my Agent with my latest bookings including RCCL.They are aware of whats happening with the above in Australia.

Maybe just move on quietly to another online agent and enjoy your pricing and cruise because its you that did your research.

Ging466

My understanding is that certain US based cruiselines have given SPECIFIC instructions to US based online TA's to NOT accept bookings from Ozzies. Now, I am not commenting on the rightness or wrongness of that - I just don't want to have any part of it. Hence I will not deal with the cruiselines concerned when thinking about a cruise overseas.

It's pretty simple really - I just won't take any risk at all in this matter. I don't need to - there are plenty of cruiselines who have not given these instructions to US or UK TA's.

Barry

We have been doing two cruises a year since 2004 and as yet we haven't been denied boarding. We have been on HAL, Princess, Oceania and Azamara and as long as the cruise lines take our money - it is always debited the day after we pay our T.A. to the cruise line, - then I am sure no-one is going to stop us from boarding.

I don't believe there is any risk involved. One day, the T.A's in the U.S. may get a rap over the knuckles and will be told they definitely cannot book us but at the moment the agents we use are willing and able to take our booking and money.

If that happens we will either use a cruise line that doesn't have those restrictions or we will return to land trips which are also very enjoyable. Cruising is great but it is not the be all and end all of seeing the world. We have been practically around the world by ship and have just about crossed off everything we have wanted to see from our list so that it would not be such a big deal to have to forgo cruising.

Jennie

[quote name='bazzaw']MrSandy

I have no idea as to an answer to your question. It appears that quite a few here have been able to book passage through overseas online TA's with no problem - either with the booking or with the cruise.

Personally, I believe this problem originates from the cruiselines themselves - and is not some conspiracy hatched by Ozzie TA's.

The fact is that some cruiselines have set up offices here in Australia - and it appears to be these that have directed TA's in the US to not sell to Ozzies online. They appear to be wanting to force Ozzies to buy through the Oz offices. (the local TA's just deal with the local offices of these cruiselines)

Hence -- SOME overseas online TA's are following instructions from the cruiselines to refuse bookings from Ozzies - and some are not. (some people obey the speed signs - others do not, but still get away with it)

For me at least, I would never place a large amount of my money with anybody unless I and they were absolutely sure that all was OK - so while I do not deny the experiences of some here who have booked certain cruiselines online and gotten away with it - I will not!! I will only book through strictly legit channels. If it means that I can't sail with say Princess because they are too expensive for Ozzie cruisers, then so be it. There are plenty of other cruiselines that do not have offices here in Australia where we can book with them online. For example, I fancy a cruise around the British Isles with Fred Olsen lines - I doubt that could even be booked here in Oz, but it certainly can be done online. Please just don't winge IF you do somehow get caught out!!!

Barry[/QUOTE]

I most definitely will whinge very LOUDLY if i 'get caught out' and with respect Barry, you sound like a local travel agent. what are we 'getting away with'? for goodness' sake. since when do we (most of us) not try to get something at the best possible price/deal we can? and what is wrong with that? certainly we are not doing anything illegal. (certainly not against any law)

I totally disagree with the notion that the cruiselines have instigated this. I think it's more likely that the local travel agencies are up in arms at the amount of money they can lose by people booking overseas and are putting pressure on the cruiselines to back them up with promises of big business.

and finally, when I send my money to my US travel agent, I'm very sure of what i'm doing. I've built up year's of mutual respect and trust and I know when I send my money to her, it goes straight to the cruiseline to pay my fare. and, added to that, I get exceptionally brilliant customer service...something I've never received from an australian travel agent.

[quote name='Aussie Gal']We have been doing two cruises a year since 2004 and as yet we haven't been denied boarding. We have been on HAL, Princess, Oceania and Azamara and as long as the cruise lines take our money - it is always debited the day after we pay our T.A. to the cruise line, - then I am sure no-one is going to stop us from boarding.

I don't believe there is any risk involved. One day, the T.A's in the U.S. may get a rap over the knuckles and will be told they definitely cannot book us but at the moment the agents we use are willing and able to take our booking and money.

If that happens we will either use a cruise line that doesn't have those restrictions or we will return to land trips which are also very enjoyable. Cruising is great but it is not the be all and end all of seeing the world. We have been practically around the world by ship and have just about crossed off everything we have wanted to see from our list so that it would not be such a big deal to have to forgo cruising. Jennie[/quote]

Totally agree with Aussie Gal. Cruising is nice but isn't the be all and end all. If I can't book Silversea in the US, I will go back to land travel.

Cheers
ging466

I too have used a US based TA to book my latest cruise I leave in just over a week. And have had none of the issues and problems that I have had with my Australian based TA.

The only problem I have encountered is when I went to the cruise lines website it gave me an Aust contact. When I rang it to confirm that a faxed purchase (you can actually buy bottles of alcohol and have it waiting in your cabin for you) was recieved as I had not been charged it as yet. The Cruiseline rep told me that they would have thrown my order in the bin. I recieved the following statement "You booked it in the US ring them we will not assist you. When I asked them for the phone number for the cruiseline I was told to look it up myself".

So be prepared to get no help from the Aust cruiseline staff but as the cost of ringing the US is relatively cheap there isnt really a problem.

For those interested the cruiseline starts with P ends with SS and has 8 letters......LOL

Whilst we understand the issue of discriminatory pricing clearly, we cannot permit the identification of specific agencies in posts on our message boards because we do not permit them to respond to either praise or criticism.

Thanks for your understanding.

[quote name='stingau']I too have used a US based TA to book my latest cruise I leave in just over a week. And have had none of the issues and problems that I have had with my Australian based TA.

[COLOR="Black"]The only problem I have encountered is when I went to the cruise lines website it gave me an Aust contact. When I rang it to confirm that a faxed purchase (you can actually buy bottles of alcohol and have it waiting in your cabin for you) was recieved as I had not been charged it as yet. The Cruiseline rep told me that they would have thrown my order in the bin. I recieved the following statement "You booked it in the US ring them we will not assist you. When I asked them for the phone number for the cruiseline I was told to look it up myself".[/COLOR]

So be prepared to get no help from the Aust cruiseline staff but as the cost of ringing the US is relatively cheap there isnt really a problem.

For those interested the cruiseline starts with P ends with SS and has 8 letters......LOL[/QUOTE]

Isn't the local cruiseline representative meant to be a frontline representative of the actual cruise line? What poor customer service.

I think the actual cruise lines have been sold a pup!

They are being snowed with the increasing number of new local bookings, for short cruises, without looking at the bigger picture of loosing their long term loyal local customer base, who are used to frequently cruising overseas, on long cruises. These people buy their overseas travel overseas, like they do all other forms of travel!

Time for a rule change!

CCs, who cruise on cruise lines other than P&OAustralia, might like to consider putting their comments, or links to this thread, on other CC cruise lines threads, as they may be unaware of the groundswell of negative local opinion against the current discriminatory policy and the real potential loss of future customers.

Wouldn't the shoe be on the other foot, if Americans, for example, were forced to buy their Australian cruises only from Australian Travel Agents, when they travelled Down Under!

Most people don't have a problem with buying Australian cruises from local agents, but have a big problem ($$$$) with buying overseas cruises from local agents.