Booking With US Sites & US TA's

i was looking at the Rhapsody for Feb 2011 and i did a dummy booking with a big US online site and its $600 dearer to go with them or book the same cruise with an aussie TA.....do the sums we are better off with this particular cruise booking it thru our local TA

rkmw

i was looking at the Rhapsody for Feb 2011 and i did a dummy booking with a big US online site and its $600 dearer to go with them or book the same cruise with an aussie TA.....do the sums we are better off with this particular cruise booking it thru our local TA

rkmw

Prehaps try a UK agency, as they are coming up with some good prices and especially given the strength of our dollar against the pound.

Prehaps try a UK agency, as they are coming up with some good prices and especially given the strength of our dollar against the pound.

has anyone booked thru a UK agency

rkmw

Hi Bob. I think that you would find that the majority of us who were booking with US TA's were using them for cruises overseas where the prices were vastly better.

Perhaps we shouldn't be talking too much about the TA's in Britain as before we know where we are the powers that be will shut that avenue down us well:mad:.

I am so furious that we haven't found an agent in the states that I have no cruises booked for this year and there is NO WAY I am going to use a local TA and know that I am getting RIPPED OFF:mad::mad:. The one booked for next year was booked before they shut the doors on us and it is twice the price if you book it locally.

has anyone booked thru a UK agency

rkmw

Last year, I booked a HAL cruise through a big UK agency and the price was better than the big US on line agency, but I notice you have to shop around. The UK agent has already told me she cannot sell me another cruise. I originally got her name from an on line UK agency so I just tried that agency again (this year) and successfully received a quote but I indicated that I had an Italian address (which the family has) although I am an Aust citizen - stretching the truth of course.

I am not going to pay thousands more for a cruise just because Aust agents are putting pressure on the shipping companies. I agree that sometimes the Aust cruises are cheaper to buy from an Aust agent.

Good luck

Rassa

Hi Bob. I think that you would find that the majority of us who were booking with US TA's were using them for cruises overseas where the prices were vastly better.

Perhaps we shouldn't be talking too much about the TA's in Britain as before we know where we are the powers that be will shut that avenue down us well:mad:.

I am so furious that we haven't found an agent in the states that I have no cruises booked for this year and there is NO WAY I am going to use a local TA and know that I am getting RIPPED OFF:mad::mad:. The one booked for next year was booked before they shut the doors on us and it is twice the price if you book it locally.

Hi Lizzy

I'm with you here. The prices are so high and the restrictions on bookings made in Aus are ridiculous. The T/A's here have no flexibility whatsoever.

I do note though that the prices for RCCL here in Australia for next season have gone up considerably. They are now in keeping with P & O Australia and Princess I notice. At the end of the day the daily rate per person is what it always come down to when making a booking.

Jillybean:(

Have booked and paid for cruise on Crown Princess using a UK online agent. We live in Perth and this was just as easy as using the large online agent in Perth. Saved a fortune and every time the $ moved up against the Pound saved even more. As stated before, The cruise industry is going to be like the airlines. You will only be able to book with company's in your own country. So i advise you to book with anyone who can save you a dollar as you might not have them around much longer.:):)

Have booked and paid for cruise on Crown Princess using a UK online agent. We live in Perth and this was just as easy as using the large online agent in Perth. Saved a fortune and every time the $ moved up against the Pound saved even more. As stated before, The cruise industry is going to be like the airlines. You will only be able to book with company's in your own country. So i advise you to book with anyone who can save you a dollar as you might not have them around much longer.:):)

Did you just go hunting on the net or did someone recommend the agent you are using in the U.K? It is very hard to know where to start if you have to hunt around on the net. My email is jennielynton at hotmail. dot com if you wouldn't mind sending me an email re the above subject.

Jennie

I do note though that the prices for RCCL here in Australia for next season have gone up considerably. They are now in keeping with P & O Australia and Princess I notice. At the end of the day the daily rate per person is what it always come down to when making a booking.Jillybean:(

Its crazy isnt it:eek:

I always thought it was supposed to work the other way...

eg when P&O saw RCCL ships filling up faster than theirs ,

they would drop the price to compete..

guess there are just too many people wanting to cruise

who are prepared to pay the asking price.

Oh Lizzy dont tell me they have stopped our fav Aussie T/a with connections from booking us?

Hi All

What we get charged here is a rip off. We just booked a two week cruise through a canadian travel agent for november. Saved $1700 and get price drops etc that US passengers get. Was too easy.

Caz

Oh Lizzy dont tell me they have stopped our fav Aussie T/a with connections from booking us?

Hi Sue.

Well I am just hoping that she is still able to book our cruises but we shall just have to wait and see.

There have been a few dramas and I am sure that you have heard that PRINCESS has CANCELLED OUR B2B CRUISES around Sth America on the Star.:mad::mad::mad: So much for booking early and getting a good deal eh:confused:

We will have to wait untill the 17th to find out the new deals:cool:

Hi Sue.

Well I am just hoping that she is still able to book our cruises but we shall just have to wait and see.

There have been a few dramas and I am sure that you have heard that PRINCESS has CANCELLED OUR B2B CRUISES around Sth America on the Star.:mad::mad::mad: So much for booking early and getting a good deal eh:confused:

We will have to wait untill the 17th to find out the new deals:cool:

Liz,

I must have missed a post - what reason did they give to cancel your cruises? and why do you have to wait until the 17th

Doug, (no you didn't miss a post but Sue would know what I was talking about)

We were booked to do B2B on the Star, and Princess decided to move the Star from doing the Round Sth America itinerary March 2011, Rio - Santiago-San Fran. New cruise would be Santiago- Rio-to Fort Lauderdale then it goes to the Caribbean then Europe.

We have to change dates and wait till the 17th March when they release the new itinerary and prices, and see if we can get onto the ship as the first leg was already open for bookings. New cruise will be, Santiago- Rio -Fort Lauderdale.

We were booked to do B2B on the Star, and Princess decided to move the Star from doing the Round Sth America itinerary March 2011, Rio - Santiago-San Fran. New cruise would be Santiago- Rio-to Fort Lauderdale then it goes to the Caribbean then Europe.

We have to change dates and wait till the 17th March when they release the new itinerary and prices, and see if we can get onto the ship as the first leg was already open for bookings. New cruise will be, Santiago- Rio -Fort Lauderdale.

So are you disadvantaged in anyway Lizzy by Princess changing this cruise schedule?

I was looking at this, but then decided to book the Aurora from Southampton to Brisbane which cruises via South America..:D The only trouble is it sold out in two days and we are only waitlisted so not sure what to do at the moment.

Jillybean:)

So are you disadvantaged in anyway Lizzy by Princess changing this cruise schedule?

I was looking at this, but then decided to book the Aurora from Southampton to Brisbane which cruises via South America..:D The only trouble is it sold out in two days and we are only waitlisted so not sure what to do at the moment.

Jillybean:)

Yes Jill, anyway you look at it we will not come out in front:(

The plus side is that if we decide to go then we shall get to see some of the East Coast of the States. I will look at exploring Miami, Washington and New York and then catch up with some cruising friends in Toronto. We shall also get to see a bit of the Caribbean and that is one destination that we would not have gone out of our way to see.

So now we shall just wait and see what the price and cabin availabilty are. Our lovely TA must be annoyed as she had 30 cabins booked for each of the 2 legs:cool:.

If you can't get onto the other cruise, come and join us.

We recently booked a short 4 day cruise on the Majesty of the Seas. Price on the US site was US$1150. Same cabin on the Australian site was AU$1450.

Looking on the European site we all use for checking cabin availability I noticed the price substantially lower. With our favourable exchange rate, I just made the final payment, it worked out at AU $830.

As we booked late I did not look into cancellation penalties etc, as only an emergency covered by insurance would cause us to cancel now.

Paying in Euros is something I had not considered before, but worth checking these prices in the future.

Sorry about the Star Princess cancellation, we are good friends of Sandra and Dave.

We recently booked a short 4 day cruise on the Majesty of the Seas. Price on the US site was US$1150. Same cabin on the Australian site was AU$1450.

Is that per person?:eek:Seems an awful lot for a 4 day cruise. Or does it include airfares??

Oh that's a shame. If you book again I hope that they at least give you some extra OBC for your troubles.

Is that per person?:eek:Seems an awful lot for a 4 day cruise. Or does it include airfares??

Sorry I was not clear - that is for 2 people, including taxes etc.

We had 4 days in Florida before our Transatlantic cruise, and were originally planning to hire a car & drive down to Key West and back to Ft Lauderdale.

After pricing car hire, hotels etc, I found this cruise which visits Key West, and it was easily the cheapest option. Plus no hassles with driving etc.

Hilary

Has anyone tried to take a quoted US TA price to their TA in Aus (particularly one who guarantees to match price) and see if they can get the same price here? We did this with our Alaska cruise and believe that we were given a fairly similar price, allowing for exchange rates at the time.

When we went to book our Mexican cruise, we had dialogue with an on line US TA who assured us that they were able to sell to us and that there would be no problems. Ultimately we booked with an Aus on line TA, who gave us all the prices in US$ and then it was converted at payment time.

yes, I did. I actually gave a local agent who was vying for my business, the chance to meet the price (and it was for a large group, not just one cabin) and they could not match the price. To try to deter us, we received copies of emails which had been sent between the shipping company in the USA and the local shipping agent (and cc'd to the local Travel Agent) threatening all sorts of crap, and of course, none of it was true and nothing happened the day we boarded (as the email threatened) although I must admit, at first, it was a little unnerving.

Ultimately we booked with an Aus on line TA, who gave us all the prices in US$ and then it was converted at payment time

I believe this is the secret - at least now that the Oz Dollar is quite strong.

Trouble is that this really only works for people who are "internet literate" - and use credit cards.

Elsewhere, Ozzies have insisted that they be given a price in Oz Dollars. This has been to their detriment as the value of the Oz Dollar changes every day and the money that the US based cruiseline ultimately wants is US Dollars. TA's cannot give price quotes in Oz Dollars which vary day by day - and probably can't quote in US Dollars because of social/cultural inhibitions.

So - the answer to this problem is to make sure you pay for everything cruise, onboard expenses, etc in US Dollars - with the proviso that these US Dollars are charged directly to your credit card in US Dollars.

Barry

Elsewhere, Ozzies have insisted that they be given a price in Oz Dollars. This has been to their detriment as the value of the Oz Dollar changes every day and the money that the US based cruiseline ultimately wants is US Dollars. TA's cannot give price quotes in Oz Dollars which vary day by day - and probably can't quote in US Dollars because of social/cultural inhibitions.

Actually, they could and have done the latter. However, after masses of complaints from cruisers two years back, the cruise lines locked in conversion rates after people complained about paying a deposit based on one (high) rate in USD, and then when it came time to pay, the AUD had fallen to 50-60 US cents.

Some want it both ways, the flexibility when our dollar is rising, but then complain it should have been locked in when the dollar falls.

Yes Jill, anyway you look at it we will not come out in front:(

The plus side is that if we decide to go then we shall get to see some of the East Coast of the States. I will look at exploring Miami, Washington and New York and then catch up with some cruising friends in Toronto.

Liz,

if you want some hints and tips about Washington and New York, please email me

Heather

Australia is gold for Silversea Cruises

Australians are emerging as

the most valued passengers

on luxury cruises, with yet

another cruise line

announcing our ranking as

the fastest growing market.

THE MAJORITY OF PASSENGERS ON SILVERSEA

Cruises’ inaugural circumnavigation of

Australia will be locals – and 40% of cabins

on Silver Shadow are still available.

Internationally, Australians are also taking

over the line’s ships, largely choosing

Europe, the Arctic and Antarctica.

Visiting Sydney yesterday, Ken Watson,

executive vice president, Silversea, said

Australian sales now make up 15% of

Silversea’s business, compared to 13% in

2009; and 20% of its expedition cruises on

Prince Albert II.

The figures reconfirm Australia is the

company’s third biggest market behind the

US and UK and its fastest growing market

globally.

According to Watson, our continued

enthusiasm for luxury cruising boosted the

company during a tough 2008-09 because

“you all came out of the recession faster”.

“People here have money and are

willing to spend it,” he said.

Watson revealed that Australia was

its highest yield country in the world.

“Our average daily rate in Australia

is the highest of any of our markets,”

he said.

By contrast, in the US last year,

Silversea was forced to reduce its

average daily rate by 15% “to help fill

our ships”.

But 2010 had shown more stability,

with most cruises “virtually full”, he

said.

Steve Odell, Silversea’s senior vice

president Asia Pacific, said Australians liked

Silversea because it was “upmarket but not

pretentious”.

“There is high demand for mid to top

suites,” he said.

However, the greatest opportunity exists

on the Australian circumnavigation, a 30-

day Sydney roundtrip, from 19 January to

18 February 2011.

The 540-passenger, all-suite Silver Shadow

will sail counter-clockwise calling at

Brisbane, Whitsundays, Willis Island (Great

Barrier Reef), Port Douglas, Cooktown,

Darwin, Broome, Exmouth, Perth, Albany,

Port Lincoln, Adelaide, Geelong, Melbourne

and Hobart.

“People here have money and

are willing to spend it.”

source cruise weekly

The cruise lines are seeing Australia as being a rich country in selling cruises. No wonder why we are paying top dollar to book cruises through Australian TAs.