Booking With US Sites & US TA's

[quote name='MMDown Under']Isn't the local cruiseline representative meant to be a frontline representative of the actual cruise line? What poor customer service.

I think the actual cruise lines have been sold a pup!

They are being snowed with the increasing number of new local bookings, for short cruises, without looking at the bigger picture of loosing their long term loyal local customer base, who are used to frequently cruising overseas, on long cruises. These people buy their overseas travel overseas, like they do all other forms of travel!

Time for a rule change![/quote]

The so called Agents for Cruise lines in Australia are broad based TA's not what we would call "real" Cruise line offices.

[quote name='Host Walt']Whilst we understand the issue of discriminatory pricing clearly, we cannot permit the identification of specific agencies in posts on our message boards because we do not permit them to respond to either praise or criticism.

Thanks for your understanding.[/quote]

If Cruise Critic understands the issue of discriminatory pricing clearly, why then doesn't Cruise Critic as a body assist with stopping this practice to make it fair for all not just US citizens??

When I went on a couple of RCL cruises, they were keen to give me a number as part of their cruising club, but I could not access any services, ie. utilise that part of their Cruise Line membership area as it was not set up to access anybody other than US ciitizens. I wrote to them 18 months ago about this and they told me that this was going to be fixed up - still waiting. Just not important to them.:mad:

[quote name='Murrumba']The so called Agents for Cruise lines in Australia are broad based TA's not what we would call "real" Cruise line offices.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I understand that.

I so miss the days when airlines had real friendly local offices in Australia. When Lufthansa had a local one lady office in Brisbane, Lufthansa was my airline of choice, whenever I flew to Europe or around the world.

[quote name='Murrumba']If Cruise Critic understands the issue of discriminatory pricing clearly, why then doesn't Cruise Critic as a body assist with stopping this practice to make it fair for all not just US citizens??

When I went on a couple of RCL cruises, they were keen to give me a number as part of their cruising club, but I could not access any services, ie. utilise that part of their Cruise Line membership area as it was not set up to access anybody other than US ciitizens. I wrote to them 18 months ago about this and they told me that this was going to be fixed up - still waiting. Just not important to them.:mad:[/quote]

Murrumba

That is a great idea!

Why doesn't cruise critic go to the horses' mouths and ask them why we (as in Aussies and Kiwis) are so poorly treated?

On top of discriminatory booking practices, we are subject to price fixing (see RCCL bumping up it's prices to match the exhorbitant amounts P&O charge), being sold a fleet of nearly 20 yo ships as 'superliners' etc etc etc. Would be a very interesting story.

Ask why (and by whom) US agents have been told not to accept bookings for specific lines. Why we can't call all lines direct in the states and book. I successfully called NCL to make my booking but then they are owned by Star so not one of the RCCL/Carnival (near) duopoly. Why we keep getting old ship after old ship and told to be excited (and grateful). Why we don't have the same cancellation and change fee structures as US travellers on the same cruises eg. with P&O pay full fare (does anyone?) and get your deposit back up to day x, pay discounted (that's absolutely everyone!!!!!!!!!!) and lose your deposit if you cancel 6 MONTHS OUT!!

Enough's enough. We all enjoy CC enough of us click on links on the website to help keep it going but as a voice for it's Oz and Kiwi users it is sadly mute.

Your thoughts Walt?

So which cruise lines don't have discriminatory policies with regard to overseas cruise bookings -

[LIST]
[*]NCL
[*]Star[/LIST]

I would book with Star in a minute, with the right itinerary. However, they have shifted to short cruises and B2B short cruises, which don't appeal.

Has anyone cruised with NCL and do they offer longer cruises?

[quote name='MMDown Under']So which cruise lines don't have discriminatory policies with regard to overseas cruise bookings -

[LIST]
[*]NCL
[*]Star
[/LIST]
I would book with Star in a minute, with the right itinerary. However, they have shifted to short cruises and B2B short cruises, which don't appeal.

Has anyone cruised with NCL and do they offer longer cruises?[/quote]

U can book the luxury cruiselines: Silversea, Seabourn, Regent. I did a 14 day NCL cruise, never again. I've moved up to luxury because I get better value for my dollar, sure it's expensive, but it is worth every cent.

I cruised on the Superstar Gemini - it was a fabulous little ship but Star got rid of it in favour of the large 'superliner'...such a shame. It did a great 21 day trip around Asia that was split into 2 segments. One of my best cruises.

Cheers
ging466

[quote name='ging466']U can book the luxury cruiselines: Silversea, Seabourn, Regent. I did a 14 day NCL cruise, never again. I've moved up to luxury because I get better value for my dollar, sure it's expensive, but it is worth every cent.

I cruised on the Superstar Gemini - it was a fabulous little ship but Star got rid of it in favour of the large 'superliner'...such a shame. It did a great 21 day trip around Asia that was split into 2 segments. One of my best cruises.

Cheers
ging466[/QUOTE]

Thanks ging466

I have seriously considered Silversea (at reduced prices), but the timing wasn't right.

We cruised from Sydney to Darwin on Superstar Leo, one of our favourite cruises, which was enhanced by land content at each end.

Tracyw123

If it was me, I would attempt it - BUT make clear to them that I am Australian booking online. If they then accept your money after your full disclosure, then I would hope you would be completely "safe".

I would also want some kind of confirmation from them in writing (email) that all is OK.

Barry

:confused::confused:[quote name='newfarmers']Murrumba

That is a great idea!

Why doesn't cruise critic go to the horses' mouths and ask them why we (as in Aussies and Kiwis) are so poorly treated?

On top of discriminatory booking practices, we are subject to price fixing (see RCCL bumping up it's prices to match the exhorbitant amounts P&O charge), being sold a fleet of nearly 20 yo ships as 'superliners' etc etc etc. Would be a very interesting story.

Ask why (and by whom) US agents have been told not to accept bookings for specific lines. Why we can't call all lines direct in the states and book. I successfully called NCL to make my booking but then they are owned by Star so not one of the RCCL/Carnival (near) duopoly. Why we keep getting old ship after old ship and told to be excited (and grateful). Why we don't have the same cancellation and change fee structures as US travellers on the same cruises eg. with P&O pay full fare (does anyone?) and get your deposit back up to day x, pay discounted (that's absolutely everyone!!!!!!!!!!) and lose your deposit if you cancel 6 MONTHS OUT!!

Enough's enough. We all enjoy CC enough of us click on links on the website to help keep it going but as a voice for it's Oz and Kiwi users it is sadly mute.

Your thoughts Walt?[/quote]

TV programmes (yes, USA my spelling is correct) - We should call CURRENT AFFAIR and/or CONSUMER WATCH. I think they would be intrested. Also TRAVELLER REVIEW which is a fantastic reference for us travellers.:confused:

We are thinking of going on a Carnival cruise from LA next year. Is it safe if we book directly through the carnival website??

hi tracey, there is a US online site that we can book Carnival thru....its a big site but i cant mention names

rkmw

We are thinking of going on a Carnival cruise from LA next year. Is it safe if we book directly through the carnival website??

Tracy W We are going on a Carnival Cruise in September. We booked a few months ago early saver. We have received about 3 small price drops and now the cruise cost (we are only inside) has gone up 80.00 US more than we paid. Yeh. Love it when they give you price drops, but when it goes up you don't pay - advantage of early saver (non-refundable though - so you are locked in).

I booked directly with Carnival in their US$. No problems -they have been great; hope this relationship continues, but it only seems that the cruise ships that are coming and leaving from Australia seem to be affected by this policy even if you choose to book them for overseas travel (i..e Europe, Med or USA) inlcuding Australia/South Pacific travel etc.

We are doing a Princess cruise in the next few weeks leaving from Capetown. We need a visa for Senegal and when a fellow Australian rang Princess in Australia to try and get some information, she was told that they don't know anything about this sort of question as they are only there to market Princess for cruises in and around Australia.

What sort of Cruise line only worries about how many passengers they can book on their oldest ships. Experienced cruisers are sick of seeing New Zealand, Vanuatu, New Caledonia or Fiji. No wonder we have had to resort to using overseas Travel Agents.

Jennie

I love how this thread just keeps going and going!! Keep up the good work guys - if we keep making enough noise surely something will change!

I think Australians are being treated like fools, expected to know nothing of the wider world, and happy to accept whatever is thrown our way!

Rust bucket ancient tubs, outrageous prices, bullying threats about the safety of booking overseas and possibly being denied boarding!

Reminds me of what Dame Nellie Melba apparently told a singer about to visit Australia to perform - "Sing 'em muck! It's all they can understand!"

Tracy W We are going on a Carnival Cruise in September. We booked a few months ago early saver. We have received about 3 small price drops and now the cruise cost (we are only inside) has gone up 80.00 US more than we paid. Yeh. Love it when they give you price drops, but when it goes up you don't pay - advantage of early saver (non-refundable though - so you are locked in).

I booked directly with Carnival in their US$. No problems -they have been great; hope this relationship continues, but it only seems that the cruise ships that are coming and leaving from Australia seem to be affected by this policy even if you choose to book them for overseas travel (i..e Europe, Med or USA) inlcuding Australia/South Pacific travel etc.

No that is not correct, unfortunately. I only book cruises from A to B overseas, nowhere near Australia, and I was advised from an American On Line TA that I had to book through an Australian TA (Cruise line directive).

Needless to say I didn't book the cruise!

There was another case quoted on CC, where the person planned to visit family in the UK, as many Australians do, so he booked through a UK TA a Med cruise and return airfares from UK. His UK TA was advised that he would have to book his cruise through an Aust TA. Not surprisingly, he was quoted much more than the UK price, and the quote didn't include return UK airfares!

Needless to say, he booked with another company which would take his business!

We are doing a Princess cruise in the next few weeks leaving from Capetown. We need a visa for Senegal and when a fellow Australian rang Princess in Australia to try and get some information, she was told that they don't know anything about this sort of question as they are only there to market Princess for cruises in and around Australia.

What sort of Cruise line only worries about how many passengers they can book on their oldest ships. Experienced cruisers are sick of seeing New Zealand, Vanuatu, New Caledonia or Fiji. No wonder we have had to resort to using overseas Travel Agents.

Jennie

Bon Voyage for your Princess Cruise and land content, Jennie. Make it extra special, as it might be your last long overseas cruise for awhile.

I hope you take the opportunity to chat to the cruise representative on the ship re the future booking situation.

I wonder if Carnival/Princess really know the kind of local service we receive from their local representatives, who seem to be mainly interested in protecting their patch.

I have been travelling overseas annually all my working life and I've only met one local travel agent, who was as knowledgeable as myself. Sad, but true! Most local TAs don't have the knowledge and experience I need, not that they aren't nice people, it is just that I go to different places!

Bet they wish it was only a simple case of installing a chip to try to restrict Aussies to higher cruise prices (refer Kindle, etc.). :) So much for free trade agreements, which are not worth the paper they are written on!

Bon Voyage for your Princess Cruise and land content, Jennie. Make it extra special, as it might be your last long overseas cruise for awhile.

I hope you take the opportunity to chat to the cruise representative on the ship re the future booking situation.

I wonder if Carnival/Princess really know the kind of local service we receive from their local representatives, who seem to be mainly interested in protecting their patch.

I have been travelling overseas annually all my working life and I've only met one local travel agent, who was as knowledgeable as myself. Sad, but true! Most local TAs don't have the knowledge and experience I need, not that they aren't nice people, it is just that I go to different places!

Bet they wish it was only a simple case of installing a chip to try to restrict Aussies to higher cruise prices (refer Kindle, etc.). :) So much for free trade agreements, which are not worth the paper they are written on!

Actually I would have to agree with you about the knowledge of TA's, they don't really care about flight booking times etc. They just slot you on the first available flight, even though there is flight leaving at a more decent time. I had to even help my parents with a trip they did to the US and Canada 3 years ago with sorting out flights and trips, and hotels, the TA couldn't even help them to the extent that I could with some research. The TA wasn't that helpful after they booked their scenic tours holiday and cruise. And they spent up big time with their holiday, in the tens of thousands. Hence why I prefer to book things independently, and thank goodness for the internet and being able to search for options.

:mad:

I love how this thread just keeps going and going!! Keep up the good work guys - if we keep making enough noise surely something will change!

I think Australians are being treated like fools, expected to know nothing of the wider world, and happy to accept whatever is thrown our way!

Rust bucket ancient tubs, outrageous prices, bullying threats about the safety of booking overseas and possibly being denied boarding!

Reminds me of what Dame Nellie Melba apparently told a singer about to visit Australia to perform - "Sing 'em muck! It's all they can understand!"

Yes, for a long time now Australia has become the dumping ground for the world. When I was working I had to get some equipment that was a

readily available throughout the States and Europe. I could not get it in Victoria/Australia anywhere at the time. But there was excess stock "dumped" into the Australian market which was outdated and probably found its way into our Landfills. There is a government Customs declaration that states clearly about "dumping" here - I just wish they would enforce this too. But I more to the point of this threat yes we are seen as easy targets due to our isolation in the world and lack of population which translates to $$$$$$$$$$$:mad::mad:

Actually Marion we have another cruise booked for next April leaving from Papeete and going to Ft. Lauderdale. We will be visiting Easter Island which is the last thing on our "must see" list. After that cruise, who knows what lies ahead of us.

Jennie

We are doing a Princess cruise in the next few weeks leaving from Capetown. We need a visa for Senegal and when a fellow Australian rang Princess in Australia to try and get some information, she was told that they don't know anything about this sort of question as they are only there to market Princess for cruises in and around Australia.Jennie

When we went to Senegal with HAL,

I dont recall having to get a visa.

Is it different for Australians?

:confused::confused:

TV programmes (yes, USA my spelling is correct) - We should call CURRENT AFFAIR and/or CONSUMER WATCH. I think they would be intrested. Also TRAVELLER REVIEW which is a fantastic reference for us travellers.:confused:

Is it possible for someone to start up a website about this problem, maybe that might get some attention.

David,

We definitely need a visa for that country. I am not sure about New Zealanders but both U.S. and Canada citizens do not need one.

We had to send our passports to London to get our visas. That was a worrying time until they were returned on Tuesday - they were out of our hands for 2 weeks! We used a well known courier service here in Oz. It did cost quite a lot to have them couriered to London even though the visa itself was only $15 each.

Jennie

Is it possible for someone to start up a website about this problem, maybe that might get some attention.

Also maybe getting some of the US UK travel agents to also sponsor a website.

I am not intending for people to drift away from cruise critic, but more so to bring to the attention of the public the unfair practice of selling cruises in Australia.

Actually Marion we have another cruise booked for next April leaving from Papeete and going to Ft. Lauderdale. We will be visiting Easter Island which is the last thing on our "must see" list. After that cruise, who knows what lies ahead of us.

Jennie

Sorry, Jennie, I can see that now. What are your ports of call?

I agree Easter Island would be a special place to visit. I often thought that would be a good break of journey flying between Papeete to Santiago, with LAN.

You've certainly done some extra special cruises.

My husband is waiting for the day I'll be happy to just drive around Australia, as he is over flying through US security checks. (Did you see where the US is proposing to charge non visa visitors $10 to explain the security checks? What a waste of money! They would be better off spending the money training their security in customer relations.)