Booking With US Sites & US TA's

Yes that may be their theory but the majority of us here do not cruise on those ships. We are getting ripped off as they think that we are all affluent if we chose to cruise.

Hi Liz,

Could not agree more.

My take on it is that we

"antipodeans"

are lusting so much to cruise,

that we have just accepted the ships

and the prices offerred down here.

Overseas Cruise Line executives must be in awe at the returns

P&O can extract from the local market,

hence the sudden interest in sending more ships down here

and the stepping up of advertising from other lines,

as long as you go through the local agents.

They mustn't think that us Aussies and Kiwis look for bargains.

Thank goodness for the internet and that we can shop around and find better deals.

The US is in a hell of a lot of trouble, and this is obviously reflecting on scaling down of travel plans, which the US is a big market for the cruise industry.

i came across this post

PLEASE REFER BELOW TO CORRESPONDENCE (EMAIL) FROM RCL TO MY ENQUIRY ABOUT THEIR INFLATED PRICES AND MY RESPONSE TO THEM FOLLOWS THIS EMAIL. I THINK THIS IS SELF EXPLANATORY. VERY DISAPPOINTING AND I FOR ONE WILL HAVE TO THINK VERY LONG AND HARD ABOUT USING RCL AGAIN OR REFERRING ANY OTHER PERSON TO RCL CRUISES.

From: "customerservices.au@rcclapac.com" <customerservices.au@rcclapac.com>

Sent: Mon, 15 March, 2010 11:00:35 AM

Good morning

Thank you for your email regarding the pricing of cruises booked in

Australia as compared to those booked through an overseas travel agent.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Australia prices and sells all of its cruises in

Australian Dollars. The Australian dollar cost is determined prior to our

brochures being produced, which may be as much as two years prior to

sailing. Wwhere the underlying cost of an item comprising an element of the

cruise costs (such as gratuities which are paid in US dollars) is not in

Australian dollars the exchange rate prevailing at the time of going to

print is used to calculate the Australian dollar cost. By doing this Guests

are not affected by any currency fluctuations as they are aware of the

Australian dollar cost of their cruise at the time of booking.

It should be noted, that bookings made by Australian residents with an

overseas based travel agency, whether on-line or via a high street

location, are not covered by Australian consumer laws and the associated

protection of the Travel Compensation Fund - which protects consumers

against travel agency liquidation or insolvency.

Please be advised that if you book at a rate that is not applicable to an

Australian resident, you may be asked to pay the difference at the pier

during embarkation and in some cases be denied boarding.

This policy has been established in consultation with our retail travel

agent partners in Australia, USA and Europe, in an effort to ensure the

best possible consumer service is provided to all Royal Caribbean Cruises

Limited guests.

We hope this answers you concerns.

Sincere regards

Trish Sleigh

Customer Relations

Royal Caribbean Cruises (Australia) Pty Ltd.

email: customerservices.au@rcclapac.com

fax: 61 2 8065 3564

Hello,

I would appreciate this email being brought to the attention of a Manager of RCL.

Thank you for your reply. I am absolutely astonished at this response to my enquiry. The conversion is totally unfair. There has been some talk on cruise critic that USA companies decided to charge Australians this extra as they do not pay their tips. I always pay and always pay about twice as much in cash again.

I have had two cruises with your company and thoroughly enjoyed them, and encouraged other Australians and even brought some of my friends from the USA (Madawaska) to come to Australia and cruise to New Zealand with us.

My partner and I after receiving your email need to advise you that unless you change your policy that we will not be going on anymore RCL cruises and will use other countries who allow us to book for the same fare that people in the US can use. I understand we cannot use Military, Resident or Teacher discounts (as this was for the US people, which is still unfair). I will be putting your reply on Cruise critic for other Australians to see and they can make their own decision. I am very disappointed, but now understand that when we were looking for cruises in the US this year, your prices were prohibitive and we booked 2 cruises with NCL and one with Carnival as their prices were about half the price that you were going to charge us in Australian dollars.

I did wish you well in the Australian market and encouraged other people to use you. Unfortunately I cannot support you at this time with your policy

Thank you for posting that email.

What a load of rubbish about the prices being worked out when they print the brochures up to two years prior to sailing. Nobody these days pays full brochure fares. And then the part about being made pay the difference on boarding and in some cases being denied boarding, what a dictatorship. If you have a boarding pass and paid for the cruise through a US agent, how can they stop you boarding on the day, I bet they won't stop the yanks and ask them to pay more.

As is the case us Australians are treated like dirt, but they still want our money at a premium price.

Thank you so much for posting that unbelievable response, which just confirms what we've all been thinking in private all along.

Fortunately, Australians are blessed with an innate "b...... detector" and a sense of a "fair go" (maybe it is the hereditary convict in us or maybe it is because we celebrate our failures more than our successes).

As I want to cruise, I get tempted occasionally, but then I remember the large unrefundable deposits, with expensive insurance not covering unexpected events like family celebrations, etc.

I think the best response is to vote with our feet and make other choices, until Aussies and Kiwis are given a better deal. Air fares from Australia have never been cheaper and all aspects of overseas travel can be booked, at local prices, via the Internet, except for cruises.

To put things in perspective, our younger daughter and a friend are currently holidaying in Kathmandu, Nepal on $25 US per day, food and accommodation in a spotless private twin room, with free internet access.

Independent Australians and Kiwis deserve more respect from the cruise and travel industry!

Totally agree with u MM Down Under HOWEVER, these ships are still sailing out full so there are many Australians who are quite prepared to pay the inflated costs so that's why the cruiselines get away with it.

I went to a function yesterday for Silversea, no one I spoke to had heard of Cruise Critic and many were shocked when I told them I booked with a US agent.

Basically people have no idea...they want to go on a cruise and so they pay up...big...the cruiselines here are laughing!

Cheers

ging466

Totally agree with u MM Down Under HOWEVER, these ships are still sailing out full so there are many Australians who are quite prepared to pay the inflated costs so that's why the cruiselines get away with it.

I went to a function yesterday for Silversea, no one I spoke to had heard of Cruise Critic and many were shocked when I told them I booked with a US agent.

Basically people have no idea...they want to go on a cruise and so they pay up...big...the cruiselines here are laughing!

Cheers

ging466

Yes, but I wonder for how long.

I have done the same thing. However, you can't not know once you know!

On a ship, you share your table with the same people night after night. When the cost of the cruise fares comes up, Americans are always shocked at how much we pay for usually a lesser cabin. Kind of spoils the dream!

I sometimes wonder if they are just coming here to exhaust the market, then they'll move on to new markets, as other big multinationals do in countries like Ireland.

I have decided, for me, it is best to just book last minute, as I always have half a dozen places I'd be happy to cruise to or do land content. Then I don't have to worry about loosing big deposits, or cruise lines changing cruise routes, at short notice.

We live in a big wonderful world, so we don't have to put up with exploitation.

Thank you for posting that email.

What a load of rubbish about the prices being worked out when they print the brochures up to two years prior to sailing. Nobody these days pays full brochure fares. And then the part about being made pay the difference on boarding and in some cases being denied boarding, what a dictatorship. If you have a boarding pass and paid for the cruise through a US agent, how can they stop you boarding on the day, I bet they won't stop the yanks and ask them to pay more.

As is the case us Australians are treated like dirt, but they still want our money at a premium price.

I'd like to know how they think they can either make you pay the difference at the port, or worse still, stop you boarding when they take your booking- they know you have an australian passport and they know you have an australian address....immediately my US agent books for me, she has to give them my passport number - it's all absolutely disgraceful:mad:

I'd like to know how they think they can either make you pay the difference at the port, or worse still, stop you boarding when they take your booking- they know you have an australian passport and they know you have an australian address....immediately my US agent books for me, she has to give them my passport number - it's all absolutely disgraceful:mad:

hi Marilyn, maybe they are trying the big bluff....once you pay your deposit and you go online to give your details that should be it.....how would they know who you booked thru.....the girls at the checkin counter wouldnt know or care who you booked with

bob

Most cruisers do not know about Cruise Critic and the wonderful information that we can gain from this website.

I usually organize the Meet and Greet on our cruises and the most I have ever had were 50 on our Roll Call and that was on a U.S. majority passenger cruise. There are very few Aussies who have ever heard about this site.

I think that Australians being naive believe that their T.A.'s in Australia are giving them the best price for the cruises they book. Unless they mix with U.S. or Canadian cruisers they are not going to find out about the bargains that these citizens receive from their T.A.'s. so Australia is like a cash cow for the likes of RCL etc. when they deem to give us a two year old exchange rate on our dollar!

This same thing happened to us back in 2003 when we paid for a cruise that cost us over $3000AUD p.p. and yet the majority of U.S. cruisers only paid $800US p.p. for the same type of cabin. We vowed never again to be put in this situation where we were the silly patsies who paid too much for a cruise.

How dare the likes of these overseas cruise lines threaten that they won't let us on board because we weren't stupid enough to pay a ridiculous price for a cruise and they want us to make up the difference. The girls who do the Embarkation process haven't time to look into what everyone has paid. That is the stupidest bluff I have ever heard and for that reason I will never cruise on RCL.

Jennie

They might have the cruise police there to make sure all us Aussies pay the premium prices!

Everybody should email that address for RCL and make it clear to them that we are not going to be treated like that.

I think that Australians being naive believe that their T.A.'s in Australia are giving them the best price for the cruises they book. Unless they mix with U.S. or Canadian cruisers they are not going to find out about the bargains that these citizens receive from their T.A.'s. so Australia is like a cash cow for the likes of RCL etc. when they deem to give us a two year old exchange rate on our dollar!

This same thing happened to us back in 2003 when we paid for a cruise that cost us over $3000AUD p.p. and yet the majority of U.S. cruisers only paid $800US p.p. for the same type of cabin. We vowed never again to be put in this situation where we were the silly patsies who paid too much for a cruise.

How dare the likes of these overseas cruise lines threaten that they won't let us on board because we weren't stupid enough to pay a ridiculous price for a cruise and they want us to make up the difference. The girls who do the Embarkation process haven't time to look into what everyone has paid. That is the stupidest bluff I have ever heard and for that reason I will never cruise on RCL.

Jennie

I bet you felt sick when you found out how much you had been ripped off! That is unbelievable.

i came across this post

PLEASE REFER BELOW TO CORRESPONDENCE (EMAIL) FROM RCL TO MY ENQUIRY ABOUT THEIR INFLATED PRICES AND MY RESPONSE TO THEM FOLLOWS THIS EMAIL. I THINK THIS IS SELF EXPLANATORY. VERY DISAPPOINTING AND I FOR ONE WILL HAVE TO THINK VERY LONG AND HARD ABOUT USING RCL AGAIN OR REFERRING ANY OTHER PERSON TO RCL CRUISES.

From: "customerservices.au@rcclapac.com" <customerservices.au@rcclapac.com>

Sent: Mon, 15 March, 2010 11:00:35 AM

Good morning

Thank you for your email regarding the pricing of cruises booked in

Australia as compared to those booked through an overseas travel agent.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Australia prices and sells all of its cruises in

Australian Dollars. The Australian dollar cost is determined prior to our

brochures being produced, which may be as much as two years prior to

sailing. Wwhere the underlying cost of an item comprising an element of the

cruise costs (such as gratuities which are paid in US dollars) is not in

Australian dollars the exchange rate prevailing at the time of going to

print is used to calculate the Australian dollar cost. By doing this Guests

are not affected by any currency fluctuations as they are aware of the

Australian dollar cost of their cruise at the time of booking.

It should be noted, that bookings made by Australian residents with an

overseas based travel agency, whether on-line or via a high street

location, are not covered by Australian consumer laws and the associated

protection of the Travel Compensation Fund - which protects consumers

against travel agency liquidation or insolvency.

Please be advised that if you book at a rate that is not applicable to an

Australian resident, you may be asked to pay the difference at the pier

during embarkation and in some cases be denied boarding.

This policy has been established in consultation with our retail travel

agent partners in Australia, USA and Europe, in an effort to ensure the

best possible consumer service is provided to all Royal Caribbean Cruises

Limited guests.

We hope this answers you concerns.

Sincere regards

Trish Sleigh

Customer Relations

Royal Caribbean Cruises (Australia) Pty Ltd.

email: customerservices.au@rcclapac.com

fax: 61 2 8065 3564

Hello,

I would appreciate this email being brought to the attention of a Manager of RCL.

Thank you for your reply. I am absolutely astonished at this response to my enquiry. The conversion is totally unfair. There has been some talk on cruise critic that USA companies decided to charge Australians this extra as they do not pay their tips. I always pay and always pay about twice as much in cash again.

I have had two cruises with your company and thoroughly enjoyed them, and encouraged other Australians and even brought some of my friends from the USA (Madawaska) to come to Australia and cruise to New Zealand with us.

My partner and I after receiving your email need to advise you that unless you change your policy that we will not be going on anymore RCL cruises and will use other countries who allow us to book for the same fare that people in the US can use. I understand we cannot use Military, Resident or Teacher discounts (as this was for the US people, which is still unfair). I will be putting your reply on Cruise critic for other Australians to see and they can make their own decision. I am very disappointed, but now understand that when we were looking for cruises in the US this year, your prices were prohibitive and we booked 2 cruises with NCL and one with Carnival as their prices were about half the price that you were going to charge us in Australian dollars.

I did wish you well in the Australian market and encouraged other people to use you. Unfortunately I cannot support you at this time with your policy

Thanks - I posted this and I am pleased that you are passing this to other Australians through Cruise Critic Boards. I am furious, disappointed and disgusted with RCL. They came to Australia and entertained Australians with great prices via Rhapsody of the Seas cruises and then do this - send them back to the States. No support from me anylonger or any of my colleagues, friends.

Jennie

Rumour has it the cruiselines have been threatening the U.S agents with removal of any bookings they have from non-residents they will then hand them over to local agents....:confused::confused: but wait ... if i book onboard it's okay for me to name my U.S agent and they get the deal no questions asked:eek:

Top points to the dodo making up the rules:rolleyes::rolleyes:.........

If they wish to ban us from purchasing from U.S agents it should only be for local cruises that begin and end in Australia no matter what cruiseline .....repo's and the rest of the world open slather....cheers.....shiona

Rumour has it the cruiselines have been threatening the U.S agents with removal of any bookings they have from non-residents they will then hand them over to local agents....:confused::confused: but wait ... if i book onboard it's okay for me to name my U.S agent and they get the deal no questions asked:eek:

Top points to the dodo making up the rules:rolleyes::rolleyes:.........

If they wish to ban us from purchasing from U.S agents it should only be for local cruises that begin and end in Australia no matter what cruiseline .....repo's and the rest of the world open slather....cheers.....shiona

You can book direct with Carnival and NCL and they are giving costs in US dollars. Don't know how long this will last, but they are not in Australian waters yet, so perhaps that makes the difference.

I spent a nearly 40 hours investigating this issue last week on another thread and that was my letter to RCL and my reply.

I believe that Holland America (who are starting to come to Australia) are going to do the same thing as RCL - as I stated before send them back to US. Perhaps there needs to be an ombudsman. I for one would love to have a test case of this in an Australian Court - or perhaps we should just do as we have been taught - Caveat Emptor = Buyer Beware - (too expensive, dishonest = do not book through these companies).

Most cruisers do not know about Cruise Critic and the wonderful information that we can gain from this website.

I think that Australians being naive believe that their T.A.'s in Australia are giving them the best price for the cruises they book.

Jennie

Could not agree more Jennie,

We were looking at another Regent cruise for this year,

and we know they are not cheap.

We researched it all on the net, on this site and with Regents own site.

We knew all the deals they were offering, and wanted one of the specials.

Our TA, whom we have used for years has now retired, such a pity as he really looked after us, so we checked out the local TA's, to see what was on offer.

We let them ramble on, listened to all they told us,

then told them what we knew, and what was on offer at thousands less than they were quoting.

You could see their mouths drop as we got up and walked out of the office.

Needless to say we have not booked with them,

and still have our options open for this year,

waiting for a bargain,

or at least a cruise where we will pay the same as North Americans.

hi Marilyn, maybe they are trying the big bluff....once you pay your deposit and you go online to give your details that should be it.....how would they know who you booked thru.....the girls at the checkin counter wouldnt know or care who you booked with

bob

hi bob...how're you doing? I see you're still cruising up large- good for you!

yes, of course it's the big bluff- you should have seen what they did to me last year - they thought they (RCI USA & RCI LOCAL) were going to terrify me into re-booking for my family/friends group locally- my lovely USA agent told me to take absolutely no notice that it was total bluff although i must admit to being unnerved. She told me that when she takes my bookings she immediately deals with her contact at RCI and they know immediately she is booking for an australian.

I usually organize the Meet and Greet on our cruises and the most I have ever had were 50 on our Roll Call and that was on a U.S. majority passenger cruise. There are very few Aussies who have ever heard about this site.

Jennie

Jennie- same thing happened to us...actually worse for my mum- she bought two tickets from a local travel agent and it cost her $8000 to go on Pacific Princess in 2003. by 2004 I found an australian online agency and got her two tickets for $2500 each (and ourselves) and the following year, found yet another well-known local online agency and got them for ourselves cheaper again.

However, as you said, talking to American cruisers onboard that year taught me to look online in America where I found the travel agent I've been using for the last few years and it is SO much cheaper and so easy to do- that's where a lot of aussies are probably nervous, they think it's going to be difficult- they're worried about not being covered should the agency go into receivership or whatever.

I also agree with the other posters, the vast majority of australians don't even know about Cruise Critic.

I agree it is emabarrassing when we speak to US or Canadians on board. We had an exprience on our recent cruise on Princess where we were discussing future cruises with a Canadian couple and they told us they had just booked on board the ship with the future cruise consultant a cruise we were very interested in doing. The price they were paying was fantastic and we made the decision instantly to go and book also. Too our disgust we were quoted about $3,000 over what the Canadian couple had just paid. We asked if we could book and pay immediately on board at the US price but this wasn't possible. We understand about the brochures being printed months before but really we were prepared to hand over our money there and then. This really doesn't make sense to me. Our next cruise is with NCL through a US online TA as NCL will accept our booking. As we are fairly frequent cruiser I know which cruiseline we will cruise with in future.

[quote name='Murrumba']You can book direct with Carnival and NCL and they are giving costs in US dollars. Don't know how long this will last, but they are not in Australian waters yet, so perhaps that makes the difference.

I spent a nearly 40 hours investigating this issue last week on another thread and that was my letter to RCL and my reply.

I believe that Holland America (who are starting to come to Australia) are going to do the same thing as RCL - as I stated before send them back to US. Perhaps there needs to be an ombudsman. I for one would love to have a test case of this in an Australian Court - or perhaps we should just do as we have been taught - Caveat Emptor = Buyer Beware - (too expensive, dishonest = do not book through these companies).[/QUOTE]

About a month ago a friend asked me to help her book a Holland America cruise through my USA agent. she was very nervous as she had been told by her local agent that they would not allow her to board the ship (in europe where it begins) and she wanted my opinion.
I contacted my agent in the USA and she told me it was utter rubbish and not to worry at all. I asked her over and over how sure she was this would not happen and I trust her when she told me it will not happen. My friend did book with her and she will be taking that cruise mid year. she says she does not care- it's a matter of principal and even if they do stop her going on, she does not care, she's just take a holiday in europe.
Meantime, it was interesting to note that a very well known 'online' US travel agent who even has a local australian telephone number for us to use, will not book RCI or Holland America or Princess cruises.

This is ridiculous and haven't they ever heard of 'fair trade'

Hi

I went to a Silversea function yesterday, most people I spoke to hadn't heard of Cruise Critic and were horrified when I told them I book my cruises thru an online US agent. Well too bad, because I've got 3 cruises for virtually the price of 2 when comparing between the US TA and the Aussie TA...ridiculous.

The great thing about the US agent is that yes, it's much cheaper but u pay yr deposit DIRECT to the cruise line...it isn't paid to the travel agent like it is in Australia. If u have to cancel for whatever reason before the final cutoff day for total payment, u get a FULL refund of your deposit.

Cheers
ging466

[quote name='ging466']Hi

I went to a Silversea function yesterday, most people I spoke to hadn't heard of Cruise Critic and were horrified when I told them I book my cruises thru an online US agent. Well too bad, because I've got 3 cruises for virtually the price of 2 when comparing between the US TA and the Aussie TA...ridiculous.

The great thing about the US agent is that yes, it's much cheaper but u pay yr deposit DIRECT to the cruise line...it isn't paid to the travel agent like it is in Australia. If u have to cancel for whatever reason before the final cutoff day for total payment, u get a FULL refund of your deposit.

Cheers
ging466[/QUOTE]

yep ging-how right you are. I see my bookings on the Ship's website almost immediately I pay my deposit (princess and RCI) And, all our money is 100% refundable right up until the final pay date. and we get all and any discounts if and when they become applicable. All these things have been tried and tested over and over by me and my family and we've never had a problem. deposits have been returned with no questions asked and we've received many discounts even up to sail date.

While I'm on my soapbox can someone enlighten me as to why a Sun Princess cruise (Australian based ship) that operates in AUS$ and sails in Australina waters the quote from US TA in AUS$ for OS cabin is $2500 per person and quote from online Aus TA for same cabin is $3,700??