Bidding on international airfare

Kelmn07

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has ever bid on airfare? I have bid on hotels before and had great success but bidding on flights makes me nervous. It claims that flights may have up to 1 layover, but what's to stop it from being a 10 hour layover?

Just wanted to find out others' experiences with this. Thanks!

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has ever bid on airfare? I have bid on hotels before and had great success but bidding on flights makes me nervous. It claims that flights may have up to 1 layover, but what's to stop it from being a 10 hour layover?

Just wanted to find out others' experiences with this. Thanks!

I have no experience with this and would never consider it.

You said that flights may have up to a one hour layover. Well too me that is just as bad as a ten hour layover.

What are the terms of all of this?

Are you told what the airlines will be up front?

To each his/her own but I will select my own flights and if they are not affordable I'll find another destination.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Flights may have up to *1 layover, not a one hour layover. Part of the gamble of bidding on a flight is not knowing any of the details. For hotels-you can narrow down location and * rating, but I don't see any options when choosing a flight. That's why I wondered if anyone had experience on bidding on the flights.

Hi Keith,

Flights may have up to *1 layover, not a one hour layover. Part of the gamble of bidding on a flight is not knowing any of the details. For hotels-you can narrow down location and * rating, but I don't see any options when choosing a flight. That's why I wondered if anyone had experience on bidding on the flights.

Kelmn, Yes, for all of these reasons I just wouldn't do it.

Flying can be more challenging than ever these days even when you pick out your own flights. I just can't imagine bidding on flights with "blinders" on and being surprised. It's not for me.

Keith

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT-particularly for a cruise or any time sensitive flight where you absolutely, positively HAVE to be someplace at a particular time.

Used it one time for one of my employees trying to get him a CHEAP flight to Kansas City from PHX. We checked the unlimited stopovers. Flew PHX to the East Coast, East Coast to the SE, SE to Chicago and Chicago to Kansas City. Took him almost 3 days to get from PHX to KC. He could have taken the bus at 1/2 the price and 1/2 the time. We got what we paid for-a CHEAP flight with a miserable experience.

I sure wouldn't even attempt to bid on a flight, especially for an international trip. It may take you 3 days to get to your destination.

LOT (Polish airline) sells a regularly scheduled trip to most of Europe out of JFK with a 27 hour layover in Warsaw Poland. Great trip and great price if you want to see Warsaw. It would be someone's luck to get this particular flight on Priceline bidding. ONE layover-27 hours.

What site? Just up to one change of planes? I would find it strange if this was phrased as "one layover." Do you mean it says layovers of at least 1 hour? Not much in some situations. Are you given any idea what time of day you will leave or arrive? What if you end up with a layover that is overnight or, say, from 2 a.m. until 7 a.m.? The airline has to accept the price, so I don't know how much lower than a published fare you can get. What are the cities involved? What time of year? I did once get a one-way international fight from Priceline but it wasn't through bidding, and I knew the airline and times in advance.

Used it one time for one of my employees trying to get him a CHEAP flight to Kansas City from PHX. We checked the unlimited stopovers. Flew PHX to the East Coast, East Coast to the SE, SE to Chicago and Chicago to Kansas City. Took him almost 3 days to get from PHX to KC. He could have taken the bus at 1/2 the price and 1/2 the time. We got what we paid for-a CHEAP flight with a miserable experience.

quote]

Greatam - You actually made your employee take the flight? 3 Days. What about the hotel bill? Did he get any FFmiles for doing this, or is that not something you can do on a flight through something like Priceline?

Greatam - You actually made your employee take the flight? 3 Days. What about the hotel bill? Did he get any FFmiles for doing this, or is that not something you can do on a flight through something like Priceline?

NOT my idea. He THOUGHT he needed to get back Kansas City as cheap and as quickly as possible (not business related-girlfriend problems). He could have ridden back to KC in one of our trucks but he didn't want to take the time. Priceline was as cheap as they get. He slept/hung around the airport waiting for the next flight. The accepted bid price was just over double the bus (which takes about 33 hours-our truck for free about 28 hours). So I pushed the button and that is what he got. Needless to say, we were both a little shocked with the 60+ hour marathon flight adventure. No airline miles and a lot of junk food. He will NEVER use Priceline bidding again. And neither will anyone I know after they hear Tim's story.

[quote name='Jade13;29081573

Greatam - You actually made your employee take the flight? 3 Days. What about the hotel bill? Did he get any FFmiles for doing this' date=' or is that not something you can do on a flight through something like Priceline?[/quote']

You don't earn FF miles for a "name your own price" ticket.

LOT isn't even listed as an airline which participates with Pricelines NYOP product.

Just because it isn't listed does not mean they won't provide tickets on that carrier. Those "listings" are indicative of some of the providers. They are NOT exhaustive listings.

Archived