anyone suffer from anxiety ?

lbandbuggy

Cruisin Around, your "attacks" sound most like some I was having. (At least I hope that is a WAS having! :confused:) First of all, I LOVE cruising and live to travel - cruising or any other way. About maybe 18 mos. ago I noticed that ONLY when I would wake up very early in the a.m. I would sort of feel "down", then a wave (physical feeling) of high anxiety and dread (of what I don't know - just that I would feel like I wanted to be at home RIGHT THEN!) would wash over me. Sometimes my heart would start to race. I wasn't afraid the ship would sink, or I'd die or anything. I don't know what in the heck I was afraid of. Just mostly that odd feeling made me afraid. This would last for a few seconds to a couple of minutes at most. As I became more aware of it happening and worried about it more, it seemed to become more prevalent. I even had a few bouts of it at home - always in the early morning. I think I was so worried it MIGHT happen that that was more of a problem than if it DID happen! (Sound familiar, anyone?) Since I first noticed it, I have been to Antigua, 3 cruises, Cancun twice, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Chicago twice, Vail twice, FL, Lake of the Ozarks twice, Puerto Rico for 3 days,and will be going to Tahiti soon! :D So has it stopped me? NO WAY! But it got bad enough on a cruise in March that it occured 3 mornings I was staying at my brother's in FL prior to the cruise, and then for about the first 4 mornings of the cruise. That time I assessed that I was carrying around a lot of anxiety about whether or not my daughter and her 3 friends on the cruise w/us were going to have a good time, etc.It would immediately pop into my mind and I'd start feeling a bit depressed, like I just wanted to go home. But only for a couple of minutes! It was like I could talk (breathe) myself somewhat out of it. Was that wierd or what?! When we returned home, I had an ob/gyn appt. & told my gyn we had a trip to Cancun coming up and I did NOT want to go through that. I hadn't wanted to believe I was having panic attacks. (Many yrs. ago my maid of honor and her sister both had agoraphobia and had them. Then my sister in law also had the same malady.. It seemed like a selfish disorder to me as they seemed to be able to do things they REALLY wanted to do but not anything they did not want to do. :rolleyes:) My gyn put me on Zoloft. I understand you are supposed to take it for a while before noticing any difference. But I also know it is used for depression. I tried it for a few days and there didn't seem to be any change. So I went to my family dr. and told him about the symptoms, the Zoloft, and everything. He had the same diagnosis. It was hard for me to admit to myself that I was having panic attacks. But it must be what it was (?). I told him I didn't think the Zoloft worked for me and just wanted something for Cancun to take in a pinch - or maybe the nt. before IF I began waking up to those feelings on my trip. He prescribed xanax. I really don't want to have to be medicated and think I can overcome this for the most part w/out them. I only took the xanax about twice. About 7 or 8 days before going to Cancun I did start to take the Zoloft again. (though I don't think that is supposed to be long enough?). I didn't seem to have the attacks but stopped taking the Zoloft and I still didn't have them at the lake recently. So??? Am I cured? :) Hope so! Sometimes I think maybe hormones have something to do w/it, but can't be certain. At least I do feel like I have it under very good control currently, anyway.

Hope this thread helps at least one person realize they are not alone w/this type of disorder.

It was so wonderful to find this thread! I live with anxiety as well and I sympathize and, like another reader expressed, felt the pain in every post. I have not cruised yet (I'm booked for my very first cruise during the holidays), and I don't know if this will be of any use to anyone, but here are some of the things I've found personally helpful (for traveling):

Private, quiet, safe and appealing accomodations can really create a sense of refuge and control for me within otherwise chaotic situations. This is my number one priority. My sanity is worth it ;-)

Research. The more I know what to expect, the less anxious I am. It can get a bit obsessive though. I have to really force myself to "stop".

Too much caffeine, dehydration, lack of sleep and emotional stresses are fertile ground for attacks. Yeah, this includes the emotional stress of obsessive research ;-). Don't worry about it - just be aware you are more vunerable during times emotional stress and physical "degradation" and try to nurture yourself accordingly.

And here's the best trick I learned from a Haikomi therapist - this has worked for me both when I felt one coming on and when I really was already losing it.

Open your eyes, look around and really concentrate on your surroundings. Examine the artwork, the scenery, the bedstand - really focus on what you are looking at. Keep looking around with (obviously forced at this point) interest - don't "stare". Keep your head and as much of your body moving that you can to do this. Use your active consciousness to talk you through your environment as if your irrational fear is a frightened child. Is that lamp anything that is putting you in danger? It's not, okay then lets look over at that pretty picture on the wall, do you feel like that is threatening? And so on. Recognize that you are not in any immediate danger (I'm not so sure this would work in a noisy crowded place - I've always been in a restaurant or a room somewhere that my rational mind could literally understand there was no imminent chance of death/doom). Next, consciously pay attention to how your body feels. How do your feet feel on the floor if you are sitting? And, don't laugh - it works - how does your butt feel in the chair? Just pay attention to different parts of your body. Note how they feel. Keep your eyes open. Now try to identify where you feel your "fear" in your body. Don't judge or try to do anything, just recognize it. Pay attention and just observe it. Does it stay in one place? Does it move? And so forth. It's really just "centering" like they teach in any meditation, but what it does is counteract the disassociative spiraling of irrational fear. It brings you back to the "here and now", minimizes the fear and gives you control back.

To me it feels like in the attack I am contained within the fear, and then as I go through the exercise the fear contracts until it becomes a part of me - like any other emotion. It doesn't make me blissful! But it does help me get control back.

My best wishes to all. Look forward to hearing about your experiences!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I have anxiety disorder and been seeing a Psychiatric Social Worker since June 2004.

I have never been on a cruise, but my parents have been on three or four nights one to some where in Mexico in late Aug or in Sept. of 2009. Now they are going on their second cruise and their first Alaska Victoria one. They are going with members of the Hoy Sun Ning Yung Benevolent Association. The cruise will be like nine days. They leave early Aug 6 and be back home late afternoon on Aug 15.

But when my parents go trips like to China and Hong Kong, I worry about their safety, like will the plane have to land out of a sudden, no matter where it is(middle of sea or a neighborhood) and no time to get to the nearest airport say for example it flight hour number 11. I even worry about safety on land like health(sick during or after returning home and has to do with it), and getting hurt( say a bad road not fix and getting injured well walking). When my parents goes on long trips like to China and Hong Kong and this cruise, I tell myself it is not the time to think of having fun or 100% still do what you would always do when they are not on these kind of trips a little of it maybe, it is the time to hope 100% to a 110% nothing will happen to them at all. I think most people would say that crazy or over reacting, but I even think the people that are going the trip need to think like this hope for their own safety no matter where they are going say like for example France, Japan, Australia, China, Mexico, Russia and so on. I know it no fun doing that at all, but that life for the ones going and not going on the trip or cruise. It all part of human being or I should say born as a human being.

I’m glad there are cell phones so that we can keep in contact, and that there sim cards to buy and switch to when to in other countries like Hong Kong and China. Of course it cost more on the cruise ship no matter whose the provider. What I don't like is when my parents are in Victoria and out at sea. Then I can't keep in contact with them and don't know if anything did or did not happen to them. It be great 110% nothing happen, but one can not tell at all.

Some of the stuff we all have heard about before on the news in the past, what are the Chance it can happen to anyone. I don't want to name then but you all know what they are. But in 2009 and up to now Aug. 5, 2010 there has not been anything on the news about cruies to anywhere say like Alaska, the Caribbean, Mexico, Panama and so on. Whether it good or minor bad news that are not consider headline type news on local and network news. Could it be, it the kind of the stuff that don’t make it to the news at all, and we don’t know how good or bad it is, whatever that happen or anything anyone has to say that is good or what the cruise is doing that good.

Anyway what are the chances anyone or two of the things can happen to anyone on a cruise. Not just that, what about other stuff that never get on the news, what the chances of those happening to anyone.

I never worry too much when my parents take bus trip to Reno and fly to Vegas or L.A.. I do worry a little if they are going to the east coast southwest or midwest. I have been to Vegas and Reno twice before as an adult and L.A. after middle school. Glad we still keep in contact even when they are on those trips.

I also found this article on this site what do you all think about it?

http://ritasdigest.wordpress.com/2009/02/07/cruises-what-you-dont-know/

I am so glad I found this site and this thread!!! Anyways, I suffer from anxiety and depression literally my entire life. I have never been on a cruise before and I may take one solo since almost all my friends are married, can't make it due to work or simply hate cruises! I am working hard to convince myself to go on one solo but, of course, anyone who suffers from anxiety knows the mind starts conjuring up "situations" and the infamous "what ifs" especially in my case since I want to go solo :eek:. A friend of mine who is a therapist highly recommended Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to conquer our fears or what he calls our "irrational beliefs." As he told me, our thoughts dictate our emotions so imagine if those thoughts are irrational or distorted and not based in reality but conjured by our little distorted anxious/depressed minds? No wonder we all freak out! Anyways, he actually recommended those Dummie books and they have one for cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), Depression and Anxiety which he claims its very helpful and easy to read but he emphasized we must work on it daily! By the way, they sell them at Amazon.com - I ordered them!

No wonder we all freak out! Anyways, he actually recommended those Dummie books and they have one for cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), Depression and Anxiety which he claims its very helpful and easy to read but he emphasized we must work on it daily! By the way, they sell them at Amazon.com - I ordered them!

My Psychiatric Social Worker, she told me to ge this book, The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook, Fourth Edition [Paperback] by Edmund J. Bourne. I don't know would this help you or anyone else here, not just on this. but also on daily life anxiety problems. I have not look at the book quite a while now.

• 6 years later...
I feel your pain. I've suffered from panic disorder for about 20 years. Had my first panic attack on a cruise -- I was off the boat, getting ready for a snorkeling trip. I was alone (in a crowd of strangers), and 19 years old. But I didn't back out -- I hung tight and enjoyed the trip after all.

Since then, I've had therapy and been on medications. About 8 years ago, I finally reached the point where I need nothing on any regular basis. When confronted with severe situations (like public speaking), I will take a Xanax in advance, and I sail right through. But it's rare that I need to take anything.

You will be fine -- a key to this disorder is not letting it run your life. Once you give in and start avoiding things because of it, it will affect everything you do. Just breathe, realize nothing bad is happening. Modern cruise ships don't sink -- when have you heard of that happening? You are safe.If you feel an attack coming on, talk to your traveling companions to help distract you.

And, lucky me, I have terrible motion sickness. I wore the patch on the cruise 20 years ago, and it fixed the sickness. But I had dry mouth, and my vision blurred to the point of not being able to read my handwriting. I'm planning on just doing with Dramamine this next time (non-drowsy kind). Hope that will do it!

So, relax and enjoy. It's a big floating hotel -- nothing bad will happen. They have doctors to look out for you. Your family/friends will help you. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do, so do what you feel comfortable doing. :)

Thank you so much for this post. It really assures me of my trip coming up. I feel a lot better.

I know exactly how you feel. I was very anxious about cruising and the feeling of being in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight, but in the end so many people I know had been on cruises and loved it, and I wanted to go to Norway so decided that life is too short, I had to face my fears and went ahead and booked a cruise! As the date grew nearer I was getting more nervous than excited and felt sick the day before boarding, but my GP prescribed me some tranquilizers to take the day before and then as and when needed (as it turned out, I didn't need them again!)

My main anxiety is about being sick so I took Stugeron every day (even when it was calm) and wore my wrist bands pretty much the whole time. The only time I felt a bit dodgy was in the MDR one evening when it was quite choppy and I was very aware of the ship's movement, but even then it was a feeling of anxiety rather than sickness. I had thought that I would never use the glass exterior lifts especially at sea but I did and it was fine. Similarly, I was fine walking round the prom deck looking out at the vast expanse of ocean. I think I might have felt more anxious in an inside cabin so was very glad we had a balcony.

So in the end we had a lovely cruise and I'm so glad I faced my fears and it seems to have made me less fearful of other things (eg high escalators). So I would say 'go for it' - you'll be glad you did!

All the best

Unless you look out to sea, you won't even know you're on a ship...it feels like a resort hotel! I'm betting the experience will trump your fears. Cruising is fun...it's a vacation...that's all! There is no "right or wrong" way to vacation. So just go into it as if it's "time off"...you'll be just fine.

I do not suffer, but my husband has had GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) for most of his life and takes daily medication and has weekly talk therapy. As part of his ongoing treatment, we gently push to do things outside his comfort zone, but when it comes to travel I indulge his anxieties a little because let's face it - travel is a huge stressor so I want to keep him as happy and relaxed as possible.

I do all the travel research and planning and just keep him informed on the important bits. Too much information all at once is overwhelming for him, but he also needs to be kept in the loop, so I will present him with 2-3 options at most, if not a "done deal" for a particular day. Before we leave I will have drawn up a detailed schedule in PDF format, for his phone and a hard copy in each of our bags. It outlines where we must be and when, and soft copies include links to maps, phone numbers, web sites, and so forth.

We always plan to arrive at our departure city at least a day in advance, even if sightseeing there is not on the agenda. We do not check luggage on our flights. We always have a Plan B, and maybe C or D, on deck in case of an emergency. Between the two of us we do not carry the same credit cards. We each have stashes of cash in various places. We both have not only our passport books but cards as well, and photos of both in our smartphones. Family members at home also get copies of our itinerary.

His anxiety manifests itself in some major gastrointestinal issues so he carries not only meds for that, but also some protein bars so that he can skip a meal here or there if needed.

Once on board ship, we take the first hours to orient ourselves on the ship and find our muster station and actually go to it, after studying our escape route shown on our stateroom door. We locate the life jackets, and if we are on a line that doesn't require bringing them to the drill (Celebrity) we practice putting them on. We go to the drill early and pay close attention.

While on board, we photograph the daily schedule and keep it on our phones for the day. If the ship doesn't have an app that has them, we download deck plans as well.

While he does carry Xanax for unexpected anxiety attacks, sometimes being so far out of routine is just too much for him. On those rare occasions, we are fine with throwing the day's plans out the window and just sitting in our cabin quietly. It can be disappointing but my husband's mental well-being is more important than a shore excursion or specialty dining. Fortunately I'm a flexible traveler so unlike him, I have an easy time going with the flow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I leave in less than 2 weeks, and I am very excited, but I also suffer from anxiety, and am worried that I won't like it or that I will be sick the whole time. Although I love the idea, I'm afraid that I might panic at being out to sea...no land around for days. I mean when you say it, it sounds wonderful, which is the reason I choose the vacation, but now that the day is coming closer, the actuality of it might be a little confining. Anyone else have the same issues, and how did it turn out? Was it really not that bad? I know I am worrying too much, which is what I always do, and I have a full bottle of xanax to reassure me, but it doesn't help right now.

I too am an anxious traveller, and due to a brain thing can't take the good drugs 😢😔 my doctor recommended councilling. I went 1 hour for six weeks, and it really helped to put my anxiety in to perspective. We have health insurance at work, they're all about employee well being and pay for councilling.

I am still nervous, but I haven't really become panicked since. They give you mental exercises to do & calming techniques.

I was also lucky that I missed my flight one time. This sounds strange, but this was always a trigger for me. Missing my plane showed me that nothing really bad happens. It was an extra expense and not pleasant. But nothing truly bad happened and I got home in the end 😀

You can't get locked in you room as the room locks so people can't get in, not that you can't get out. I've been in all types of rooms and have been fine. I always let a bit of time go by when getting off the ship in port to allow the crowd to thin out. When doing an excursion they take you out in small groups and by a different door than the walk offs.

Have fun.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

I do not suffer, but my husband has had GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) for most of his life and takes daily medication and has weekly talk therapy. As part of his ongoing treatment, we gently push to do things outside his comfort zone, but when it comes to travel I indulge his anxieties a little because let's face it - travel is a huge stressor so I want to keep him as happy and relaxed as possible.

I do all the travel research and planning and just keep him informed on the important bits. Too much information all at once is overwhelming for him, but he also needs to be kept in the loop, so I will present him with 2-3 options at most, if not a "done deal" for a particular day. Before we leave I will have drawn up a detailed schedule in PDF format, for his phone and a hard copy in each of our bags. It outlines where we must be and when, and soft copies include links to maps, phone numbers, web sites, and so forth.

We always plan to arrive at our departure city at least a day in advance, even if sightseeing there is not on the agenda. We do not check luggage on our flights. We always have a Plan B, and maybe C or D, on deck in case of an emergency. Between the two of us we do not carry the same credit cards. We each have stashes of cash in various places. We both have not only our passport books but cards as well, and photos of both in our smartphones. Family members at home also get copies of our itinerary.

His anxiety manifests itself in some major gastrointestinal issues so he carries not only meds for that, but also some protein bars so that he can skip a meal here or there if needed.

Once on board ship, we take the first hours to orient ourselves on the ship and find our muster station and actually go to it, after studying our escape route shown on our stateroom door. We locate the life jackets, and if we are on a line that doesn't require bringing them to the drill (Celebrity) we practice putting them on. We go to the drill early and pay close attention.

While on board, we photograph the daily schedule and keep it on our phones for the day. If the ship doesn't have an app that has them, we download deck plans as well.

While he does carry Xanax for unexpected anxiety attacks, sometimes being so far out of routine is just too much for him. On those rare occasions, we are fine with throwing the day's plans out the window and just sitting in our cabin quietly. It can be disappointing but my husband's mental well-being is more important than a shore excursion or specialty dining. Fortunately I'm a flexible traveler so unlike him, I have an easy time going with the flow.

Thank so much for this reply. I am so glad that I am not alone with my anxiety issues. It feels good to talk to people that go through what you are. Some people really don't understand the struggle that we face. I too have a good supportive partner which makes this so much easier to handle.

I leave in less than 2 weeks, and I am very excited, but I also suffer from anxiety, and am worried that I won't like it or that I will be sick the whole time. Although I love the idea, I'm afraid that I might panic at being out to sea...no land around for days. I mean when you say it, it sounds wonderful, which is the reason I choose the vacation, but now that the day is coming closer, the actuality of it might be a little confining. Anyone else have the same issues, and how did it turn out? Was it really not that bad? I know I am worrying too much, which is what I always do, and I have a full bottle of xanax to reassure me, but it doesn't help right now.

I cruise to the Caribbean all the time, living in Florida. It's commonplace for us. 3 weeks ago I was a few days away from my first Alaska cruise combined with adventures in Canada and Utah. That meant many hours in the air and unfamiliar territory. I was really scared! Then I remembered a poem I read once credited to Mark Twain:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

I had an incredible time! I saw glaciers and whales and experienced a whole world I knew nothing about before. So take a deep breath and toss the bow lines!

How do people find thirteen-year-old threads to bump?

If you or a loved one do not have an anxiety disorder you probably wouldn't understand, but my bet is that a search for "cruising with anxiety" brings this up. For some sufferers, knowledge and preparation are coping mechanisms. Conversations like this one (some replies excepted, of course) can be extremely helpful to some. If even one person with an anxiety disorder is assisted by an ancient post, then it's a great thing.

Hello to all,

I have my own anxiety issues that are different from others. I just wanted to congratulate "Everyone" who posted here. It warms the heart and soul to see total strangers respond with such compassion and understanding. Bravo