Heathrow to Edinburg to Southampton

Chesie

Morning Everyone!

I have been looking into flying the above route before and after our cruise. We will fly into Heathrow via Delta (FF) from JFK. Would like to go to Edinburg for a couple days pre-cruise then fly to Southampton to p/u the cruise. Taking an overnight post-cruise through Cotswolds then onto London for a couple nights.

I see Flybe seems like a good form of air transportation. We are not interested in land transportation due to the length of time.

Any other alternatives besides Flybe?

Many Thanks!

Southampton has a small airport with limited service. For a pre-cruise to/from Edinburgh, you might be better off arranging an in-country return flight through LHR, then hiring a car service or arranging for transportation through your cruise line to get you to Southampton from LHR. It's only about 80 miles from LHR to Southampton so it's like trying to find a flight from OKC to Tulsa...there just isn't much demand for such a short flight and options are therefore very limited.

I've used Flybe and Easy Jet, many times for my "commutes" in Europe. They are VERY restrictive in luggage, including carry ons. There is NO leeway, like there is in the US. So be very informed on those policies. There is also Ryan Air to also look at, but they seemed to have much higher "fees" for my particular itinerary.

The earlier you buy the cheaper, the tickets do nothing but go up, as the flights fill. I book when they first come available, and they are very cheap flights.

Flybe's website has a table with baggage charges, also with seat assignment, credit card and other fees plainly listed. It looks like a base ticket will be in the £60 range, (typical) luggage cost will be around £30, and another £10 or so for seat selection and ticket fees, so say £100 ($160) all in.

Flybe also have a "premium economy" fare which includes all baggage fees, preselected and better seats, food and other perks, for around £200 one way.

Frankly, though, I'd recommend an alternative that you might consider. British Airways flies from Edinburgh to Gatwick airport in London (not Heathrow) several times daily, and usually have seats for under £100; then there's a train (pretty much hourly) straight from Gatwick airport to Southampton, that costs something like £5 - £10 one way. That might work better for you.

There's also train service from Edinburgh to Southampton; the fastest and easiest route involves one change of train (in Wolverhampton, NOT London, so no need to change stations) that takes around 6h 45m, so not as fast as flying, but also doesn't require getting to the airport 2 hours ahead of time, etc. - so the net time "penalty" is probably closer to 2 hours max.

Final note, there's no hard "g" sound in Edinburgh's name. Try "Edinborough" (or, roll the "r" a little and make it "Edinburra" to get even closer.)

Morning Everyone!

I have been looking into flying the above route before and after our cruise. We will fly into Heathrow via Delta (FF) from JFK. Would like to go to Edinburg for a couple days pre-cruise then fly to Southampton to p/u the cruise. Taking an overnight post-cruise through Cotswolds then onto London for a couple nights.

I see Flybe seems like a good form of air transportation. We are not interested in land transportation due to the length of time.

Many Thanks!

Is there any possibility of booking the Delta flight as an open jaw into EDI and out of LHR? I know I personally have done this on a FF ticket (albeit a few years ago). There just seems to be a lot of travelling time in your itinerary, and anything to make it more efficient would obviously be best. Even doing Edinburgh at the end of the trip, rather than the beginning, might be more efficient.

Also, don't discount the train. Direct trains out of Kings Cross only take 4:30 hours to Edinburgh (which is city centre-to-city centre, remember; especially in London, transfer times can easily be 1 hour+). Another possibility is taking the night train from Euston, which is supposed to be quite comfortable.

Is there any possibility of booking the Delta flight as an open jaw into EDI and out of LHR?

Flying to/from EDI, you would need to route through either CDG or AMS, then use AF/KL into EDI. There is no SkyTeam service direct from LHR to EDI, nor from USA to EDI. As for flights in/out of Southampton, SkyTeam via ORY is your only flight option.

The train from LGW to Southampton is very easy, aside from handling your luggage. You could get a porter to assist you with bags to the platform, but you'd have to manage them yourselves onto the train. Same at the other end. Depends on how much you are taking. It is a very pretty ride, and you can sometimes find some amazing pricing for the route online - it's Southern Railway.

We would like to travel to Edinburgh the same day we land and spend a couple nights there to see the sites and tattoo. I know we will be tired but better tired one day than two. Then travel to Southampton (yes the day before our cruise) for one night. Eventually we will work our way to London for a few days after the cruise.

Seems like the train system maybe a better option to look into. I have my work cut out for me!

Thanks everyone!

I've done trains every which way in the UK. Yes, you have to manage your own baggage. It is a very nice way to travel. If you want to go a little more down market, the road coaches (called buses in the US) are good as well and the driver loads and unloads your luggage.

In both choices a large heap of cruise luggage makes the trip very difficult.

You will also need very early planning to get a hotel at the time of the Tatoo. I stayed in a B & B but there were several flights of steep stairs and no elevator. Breakfast was good and the room was tidy and good enough.

Morning Everyone!

Many Thanks!

You'd be much better off flying JFK-AMS/Amsterdam-EDI/Edinburgh on a DL code-share w/ KLM (I'm assuming you're committed to DL). Is it possible to change your flight

You'd be much better off flying JFK-AMS/Amsterdam-EDI/Edinburgh on a DL code-share w/ KLM (I'm assuming you're committed to DL). Is it possible to change your flight

I haven't committed on the flight yet and after looking at the train stations I will need to get to, your suggestion seems the best!

Many thanks!

Given that you are trying to use FF miles, I would keep both the AMS and CDG options open. You may have to go TATL from somewhere other than JFK - perhaps via DTW or IAD or ATL. Your biggest challenge will be the TATL portion - find that, then build on into EDI and from your home. If you just insist on JFK to Europe, you may be disappointed in your results.

I haven't committed on the flight yet and after looking at the train stations I will need to get to, your suggestion seems the best!

Many thanks!

Also, you can do what is called 'open jaw' (into one airport, return from a different one). So it's likely possible to do something like

JFK-AMS-EDI / LHR-JFK

Thank you all! Another question, if you all don't mind? If I stay with JFK to Heathrow, how would it be at Heathrow going to Edinburgh via British Airways? I have been looking and they have flights but looks like terminal change. Is the Heathrow bus from terminal to terminal a big deal?

Many Thanks

Thank you all! Another question, if you all don't mind? If I stay with JFK to Heathrow, how would it be at Heathrow going to Edinburgh via British Airways? I have been looking and they have flights but looks like terminal change. Is the Heathrow bus from terminal to terminal a big deal?

Many Thanks

Flights from JFK on British Airways planes (as opposed to British Airways "codeshare" flights actually operated by American Airlines) all land at Terminal 5, and internal BA flights to Edinburgh also depart from Terminal 5. So no terminal change, but you need to clear UK immigration at Heathrow before connecting to Edinburgh.

American Airlines flights to Heathrow land at Terminal 3, so a transfer to Terminal 5 is required in that case. It's not a big deal, but takes a little more time.

I've done the train Kings Cross/Glasgow last year. Very cheap when booking when they first open. Look around and compare sites, direct can be better than booking agents.

BUT the trains have VERY limited baggage, I happened to get on earlier, and there was only one small area, that already seemed full. Ended up having to just stack the suitcases all the way up to the top. people had to sit with their bags at their feet and their knees up to their knees. It was a great option for me.

The trains are good options, but you still have to be well aware of your luggage, size/amounts.

I've done the train Kings Cross/Glasgow last year. Very cheap when booking when they first open. Look around and compare sites, direct can be better than booking agents.

BUT the trains have VERY limited baggage, I happened to get on earlier, and there was only one small area, that already seemed full. Ended up having to just stack the suitcases all the way up to the top. people had to sit with their bags at their feet and their knees up to their knees. It was a great option for me.

The trains are good options, but you still have to be well aware of your luggage, size/amounts.

Archived