Prepaid Gratuity Question

We are booked in June on Oasis and have prepaid our gratuities for a family of four at the time of booking. I have always paid gratuities with cash the last full day of the cruise. Do we receive some type of coupon or something to give our waiters and room attendants showing that we have already paid or how does this work?:confused:

We are booked in June on Oasis and have prepaid our gratuities for a family of four at the time of booking. I have always paid gratuities with cash the last full day of the cruise. Do we receive some type of coupon or something to give our waiters and room attendants showing that we have already paid or how does this work?:confused:

yes you get coupons and envelopess to hand out

Will they give them to us at check-in when we board or will I be printing something out from my computer before we leave? Thanks for the help.

No, they will just leave the coupons and envelopes on your bed, along with your luggage tags for departure at the end of the cruise.

No, they will just leave the coupons and envelopes on your bed, along with your luggage tags for departure at the end of the cruise.
I hate the vouchers and wish they would do away with them as they are useless, the crew knows who prepaid.

I hate the vouchers and wish they would do away with them as they are useless, the crew knows who prepaid.

Totally agree, they know who has paid so it is pointless handing them an envelope with a slip of paper in it.

Sometimes when I add extra cash I hope they don't think it's just a voucher and throw it away.

This is my fear too! Last cruise I stuck in the RCI envelopes from the room and told the steward we wanted to thank her for making our vacation extra special.

I have another question regarding this. Does your cabin steward know that you have already paid gratuities?

Yes, your steward is the one who leaves the vouchers and envelopes. S/he knows you have prepaid, and so do the others on your team that the pre-payment covers (cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter in all).

The "vouchers" are nothing more than a receipt, if you will; they are given with the envelpoes so that

1.) you have "something" to physically give your team if you so desire, as most others will be handing their team members envelopes as well

2.) you may "add" additional gratuity inside the envelope if you feel you have received excellent service and wish to tip above and beyond what you have already given.

Of course, if you decide not to present the vouchers at all, it is so not a big deal. Like we stated, the staff knows who prepaid. Don't even worry about this.

Have fun. :)

Yes, your steward is the one who leaves the vouchers and envelopes. S/he knows you have prepaid, and so do the others on your team that the pre-payment covers (cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter in all).

The "vouchers" are nothing more than a receipt, if you will; they are given with the envelpoes so that

1.) you have "something" to physically give your team if you so desire, as most others will be handing their team members envelopes as well

2.) you may "add" additional gratuity inside the envelope if you feel you have received excellent service and wish to tip above and beyond what you have already given.

Of course, if you decide not to present the vouchers at all, it is so not a big deal. Like we stated, the staff knows who prepaid. Don't even worry about this.

Have fun. :)

Very well said.

This should be a "sticky" at the top of the page. :)

Sometimes when I add extra cash I hope they don't think it's just a voucher and throw it away.

I like that they still give out the vouchers so you have something to give to them and say thank you, even if it´s not necessary. I usually add some cash anyway.

I´m sure they get enough additional cash to know to check those envelopes and not simply throw them away. That fear never even occured to me.

Without the vouchers it's too easy for some to say "I gave at the office" and stiff the staff. :rolleyes: By going through the little exercise with the envelopes it encourages compliance or at least looking bad on the part of those who would try to reduce the expense of their vaca at the expense of hardworking folks (hopefully these kinds of people are rare, and I know there maybe some who do not get good service have every right to adjust the tips!)

I also give a little extra at the end to those I felt really made our cruise special, and I think this happens more frequently than you know, so I am sure they would never just toss the envelope out:eek:

Another tip I read here, give a little something for an extra request early in the cruise, and you will get very good service throughout. My grandad used to do a TA commute twice a year from the States to England. He was always a generous tipper, and had the best waiters and cabin attendents. When I traveled with him they were tripping over themselves to do anything for me:)

Last tip: for a really lengthy journey or special trip, I have brought note cards or post cards from my home area and write a genuine note about a job well done. Maybe I'm niaeve and some may think that they will just chuck this out without reading, but I believe that you could not work that hard and be postive about it, if you didn't have some pride in your work, and I think most folks would be pleased to get a genuine note about how you appreciated their work! I know I am!

Archived