Penthouse - wheelchair access

DaveOKC

A friend is thinking of taking an Alaska cruise and his wife is in a wheelchair. I know HAL has handicap deluxe suites, but he is thinking of going in the Penthouse for this special occasion.

So, how handicap accessible is the Penthouse suite on most of the HAL ships (thinking of Volendam but night go with another ship)?

DaveOKC

How wheelchair dependent is she? I haven't been in the penthouse on the Volendam, but have been in the similar one on the Rotterdam. Unless she can do some walking, I think the penthouse could be a problem.

The entrance is not too wide, and there's a corridor to pass down before you come to the roomier living area. She would have to pass the lavette and butler's pantry before she even got to the dining and living rooms.

I never went into the bedroom, so don't know if there's a step up into the bathroom. The tub probably has the extremely high sides that the other outside cabins have on that ship.

It might be hard to find room to turn the wheelchair while it was in use unless some furniture was moved.

I'm worried about bathroom/shower. I don't think you can wheel a chair into shower in Maasdam or Rotterdam Penthouse which would make it the same set up (probably) for all "S" and "R" Class ships. Rotterdam's circular glass shower would not be possible in a chair, I don't think. Tub in Rotterdam's bathroom would not be possible if person is unable to stand or walk at all.

Signature and Vista ships...... hmmm, we've been in Eurodam, Westerdam, Noordam and Zuiderdams. I think the shower has a lip.

There is probably a grab bar but if your friend cannot stand at all, I think it would be very hard to use the bathroom.

Aside from perhaps moving some furniture a little, I think she could manage through the rest of the suite in her wheelchair.

HAL "S" suites on "S" and "R" class ships (including Volendam) do not have a roll in shower. They all (except for specific HC Suite) have tub/shower combination. We've been in them all.

edit: Mary Ellen , When I first read your post, I thought by HA, you meant Holland America. Now I think you mean Handicap Accessible? :confused:

I refer to them as HC so don't know which it is.

Yes, my original post stated HC suites have roll in shower.

I looked at a deck plan and can't find which letters HAL uses to designate Handicap Accessible. I found the wheelchair symbol but no 'letters'.

Sail - HA is the standard abbreviation for Handicap Access(able) just like the 'wheelchair' symbol, it is not a HAL specific designation. Now you know to use HA, not HC (who knows what that is an abbreviation for :confused:) when referring to handicap access.

A friend is thinking of taking an Alaska cruise and his wife is in a wheelchair. I know HAL has handicap deluxe suites, but he is thinking of going in the Penthouse for this special occasion.

So, how handicap accessible is the Penthouse suite on most of the HAL ships (thinking of Volendam but night go with another ship)?

DaveOKC

Dave, I have photos and a review of Volendam's Penthouse, PH 7001, though they are from 2005, I do not think much will have changed on/in it.

The PH does NOT appear to be Wheel Chair Accesible completely. Places such as Mary Ellen mentioned, i.e., the Bathtub and shower.... Here is the link to the Volendam Page Deck 7 PH (I think even a tall person will have trouble getting into the tub .... http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Volendam/Deck-7.html

Edited to add: I think this is typical set up for most of the Penthouse Suites on all the ships, with only slight variations:(

Joanie

The PS are wheel chair accesible, but the real problem comes with the bathroom. Depending on the amount of mobility, the shower is much easier than the tub, but there are steps leading up to the shower. The real problem that I see, if mobility is extremely limited is in the actual toilet area. There really isn't much room for the chair, nor a lot of hand grips to get up and down. I'm sure that your cruise will be a wonderful one. Enjoy which ever cabin you choose.

Dave - You've received a lot of (hopefully well intended) advice here. However your/their best source is elsewhere - HAL's Access & Compliance Department. My SIL has found them VERY helpful. They have a LOT of information and have even contacted the specific ship in question to take measurements for some obscure need for my brother. They've also e-mailed photos to her of specific cabin details. I'm sure your friends will agree that HA is not one-size-fits-all. Something that is important to my DB's needs may not have any significance to your friend's wife - and vice versa.

Phone: 800-547-8493 (or locally at 206-281-3535 ext. 4514)

TTY: 800-254-8669

Email: HALW_Access@hollandamerica.com

Archived