Late Dining Full 7+ Months Out?

thejman

Does that make sense to anybody? I thought the early dining was much more popular? I'm trying to get on late dining for my 12/18 Infinity cruise and my TA states that the late dining is already full, AND no wait list is even available. Sure enough, when I check the Celebrity site, it shows 6 pm as the only option. Any ideas what the deal is, and what my chances are of eventually getting assigned to late dining?

An early dining time is enough to give me second thoughts about this particular cruise. I know select dining is still an option, but the prepaid tip thing for all of your gratuities really irritates me, especially since final payment for the holiday cruises are due 3 months out.

Late dining is much more popular on the South America itineraries than on some other routes. It is quite possible that it is already sold out. No one can really predict what your chances are for changing once on board.
What is the reason for the popularity do you think? A more international crowd? I know the ship is only about 50-60% sold right now, so it's surprising that late dining is already full. Isn't there usually a waitlist option, though? That isn't even available to me.

That happened to us too last year and we were told that it was because there was a large group on board that had already booked it. We chose Select Dining and loved it.
My TA mentioned the group thing, and that concerns me. What type of groups are large enough to book the entire dining room? I can see a group that large as overrunning the entire ship and dictating the atmosphere of the entire cruise towards the energy level/personality of the group.

I've found that on port intensive itineraries, people like to be able to come back to the ship and relax for a bit before dinner, thus the late seating. We always book the late seating, knowing that it's easier to switch to early later on. Once onboard, go to the maitre d' and ask if there's a chance of switching....they'll do their best to accomodate if possible. Good luck!

I always choose late dining for the reason Barwick stated above. Also if there are alot of European/ South Americans on board their normal dinner hour is alot later than American are used to dining.

We will be using Select Dining on our Eastern Caribbean cruise February 2012.. I booked in April 2011. There are still many cabins open. We like Early Dining. Supposedly that was already full. We are Elite so you might think that would help us somewhat. I have no idea how they go about allocating tables on cruises.

I know select dining is still an option, but the prepaid tip thing for all of your gratuities really irritates me, especially since final payment for the holiday cruises are due 3 months out.

But if you really want to make the trip and can come up with the gratuities at final payment, the opportunity cost [lost interest] associated with having paid gratuities a few months early [whether a holiday cruise or not; the differential in final payment date is a few weeks] can be measured in pennies...

I don't diminish pennies or principles... But fact is, they wouldn't be enough to cause me to cancel a cruise that I really want to do...

If a dinner seating is closed and there is no offer of a Wait List, it could well be--I've seen it before [prior to Select Dining]--that there is an existing Wait List that has also been closed due to excessive demand... It may or may not reopen [i never did clear to my preferred seating but still had a great time]...

Holiday cruises--especially one aboard a ship that will have just come out of drydock after being solsticized/refreshed [it's my understanding that part of the MDR is being converted to Blu, the dining venue for the new AquaClass service being introduced on Infinity; that could be contributing to your experience too]--tend to be very popular...

Celebrity tries very hard to accommodate but I would not absolutely count on it if the matter is material to you; the scenario that you face--with the first addition of Blu and AquaClass to an M-Class ship--is untested from both a guest and a cruise line perspective...

Interesting. On the Caribbean cruises I've been looking at its the earlier dining that is already sold out with only waitlist or Select dining available.

We will be using Select Dining on our Eastern Caribbean cruise February 2012.. I booked in April 2011. There are still many cabins open. We like Early Dining. Supposedly that was already full. We are Elite so you might think that would help us somewhat. I have no idea how they go about allocating tables on cruises.

This is common on Caribbean itineraries because they attract more seniors who live in Florida. They are used to catching the early-bird specials at home and they are early to bed early to rise folks. We just spent a week visiting my in-laws at one of those adult communities. They were already eating lunch when my wife and I were just having our morning coffee.

Late dining is much more popular on the South America itineraries than on some other routes. It is quite possible that it is already sold out. No one can really predict what your chances are for changing once on board.

Agree.

On the South American itineraries I've watched, it seems that there are a substantial number of reservation drops around final payment. Since a particular itinerary, combined with timing, controls my cruise choices, I would book Early Sitting now and monitor it until I sailed. If nothing opened up, I would change to Select Dining on board - gratuities would then appear on my shipboard account.

Since a particular itinerary, combined with timing, controls my cruise choices, I would book Early Sitting now and monitor it until I sailed. If nothing opened up, I would change to Select Dining on board - gratuities would then appear on my shipboard account.

But Select Dining is subject to capacity controls too...

I do happen to think that the reconfiguration of the MDR to accommodate four dining options--two traditional MDR seatings, Select Dining, and Blu--rather than three within the same space could materially impact historic experiences/dining flexibility as we have know them...

If I were tied to late dining and could come up with the tips at final payment, I still think that I'd book Select Dining now [which would apt be popular with those now on the Late Dining Wait List who don't clear]... At worst, I'd lock in my preference and still retain the opportunity to switch to Late Traditional Dining--with tips prepaid--if it were to become available...

If it were me, I would simply book AQ and enjoy Blu, both for breakfast and dinner. Also, if you are elite you would have the pleasure of Michael's Club.

The other reasonable alternative if your are not inclined to book AQ is Select Dining. Personally, I do not concern myself with the prepaid gratuities; and, I, as well as most responsible cruisers, will be very happy when all gratuities are handled in this manner.

I'd keep checking as the date nears. Some large web agencies hold rooms ALONG with dining seating times for potential groups. If the rooms don't go to a group, they open up along with the held dining seats.

Many people try to switch things up once on board. Lots of late diners don't think about how late it is when they finally are finished with dinner and want to change within the first two or three days. So if you don't get lucky at home with your assgnment, be sure to check on board on the first day. Good luck.

Hi,

WE have done select dinning and loved it. Did not eat befor 8:30

never had to wait (there were four of us). You will hopefully pay the gratuities on your acct. anyway.The TA we booked with always has prepaid gratuities for the same price.(on line).Dine when you want.

We asked for the same waiter every night, was not a problem.

Does that make sense to anybody? I thought the early dining was much more popular? I'm trying to get on late dining for my 12/18 Infinity cruise and my TA states that the late dining is already full, AND no wait list is even available. Sure enough, when I check the Celebrity site, it shows 6 pm as the only option. Any ideas what the deal is, and what my chances are of eventually getting assigned to late dining?

An early dining time is enough to give me second thoughts about this particular cruise. I know select dining is still an option, but the prepaid tip thing for all of your gratuities really irritates me, especially since final payment for the holiday cruises are due 3 months out.

Put in your request for late dining wait list. You will most likely get it sooner than you think. I was only 4 weeks out and was wait listed and got my late dining confirmation 2 weeks ago. You'll get it... I am almost certain of it.

I have found that late seating is MUCH more popular on Celebrity. There are only a select few that like eating at 6:15. I am not one of them.

Just get put on the wait list. You'll get it. Don't let it discourage you. :)

Archived