Forbidden Items on NCL?

This August we will be cruising on NCL for the first time. We have cruised on Princess, RCCL and Carnival....

Just wondering what is on the list of forbidden items for NCL....do they have the naughty room like RCCL or are they more relaxed like Princess.

Carnival had a policy about extention cords and power strips...that was not enforced ...but was being talk about a lot before our cruise....

So...if you could share info...in a non-judgemental way:)....it would be most appreicated. If you feel the need to judge...I'd rather not have information from you;)....Thanks ahead of time for your assistance!!!

This August we will be cruising on NCL for the first time. We have cruised on Princess, RCCL and Carnival....

Just wondering what is on the list of forbidden items for NCL....do they have the naughty room like RCCL or are they more relaxed like Princess.

Carnival had a policy about extention cords and power strips...that was not enforced ...but was being talk about a lot before our cruise....

So...if you could share info...in a non-judgemental way:)....it would be most appreicated. If you feel the need to judge...I'd rather not have information from you;)....Thanks ahead of time for your assistance!!!

Hmmmm,

Knives, guns or other potentially lethal weapons which may or may not include a corkscrew.

Irons and electrical lights (ie Christmas lights to decorate your balcony).

I wouldn't try bringing any live animals on board unless it was a trained service dog (and I have yet to see one of them).

I wouldn't want to be caught with hard liquor, illicit drugs or paraphernalia.

They have a naughty room and a brig.

That should about do it but I'm reasonably certain that I have forgotten something. ;)

I hope you enjoy your first cruise with NCL ! :)

As per NCL FAQ

"Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal."

In addition to what the others said ...

Someone I know had her pallet knife (not at all sharp if you don't know what it is) confiscated from her oil painting set. It was returned at the end of the cruise.

Someone reported having been sent to the naughty room and having a surge protector confiscated. They explained to him that the plain power strips were OK, but there was something about his that was a problem.

A reasonable amount of soda and water is OK to bring on board. Although some people report success with alcohol, any amount of alcohol of any type can send you to the naughty room. I think certain times of the year and certain itineraries are more likely to be a problem then others.

Interestingly, for the first time in my experience, I saw a dog onboard the Epic TA. A lady had a Maltese with her, I assume as some type of service dog since that's the only exception I'm aware of. It was sitting on her lap during the Dating Game show at Bliss (she was a contestant) and I saw her again at the gym a few days later where the dog was happily accompanying her in a purse/bag. I have no idea what type of service the dog may have rendered, but it was absolutely quiet and well-behaved.

As per NCL FAQ

"Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal."

Odd though, they allow wine with a corkage fee ;)

You'll find a power strip is a very useful thing to have. Unless you're in a suite, you'll find the number of outlets quite limited, especially when you're trying to charge phone, camera, ipod, laptop, etc. I've brought one on every cruise. Cruise lines are very sensitive about high-current devices, such as an iron, because they're not grounded properly for use aboard a ship. You can just call housekeeping if you really feel the need to iron, and they'll bring you an iron and ironing board. Smuggling booze aboard the ship is the subject of countless threads on this site. Some schemes rank right up there with "The Great Escape."

Wine is permitted, but there is a corkage fee (I think $15). I think that if you pack them in your checked suitcase, you will probably end up in the naughty room. Probably the best thing to do is just have them with you when you go through security so that you can take care of the corkage fee then and there. No hard liquor though.

Irons are not permitted, but friends of ours got one through in their checked suitcase. I brought a hand-held steamer which worked out great.

Large scissors are also questionable. One of the other wives with us had a pair in her overnight bag. Security questioned them, but in the end she was allowed to take them on board. And, no, I have no idea why she would need such big scissors.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Past such threads suggest there is a flat ban on box wine. Not allowed even if the corkage fee is paid. I don't understand it, but there it is. We've never had any trouble about our plug strip with surge protection, so that's something else I don't understand.

Past such threads suggest there is a flat ban on box wine. Not allowed even if the corkage fee is paid. I don't understand it, but there it is. We've never had any trouble about our plug strip with surge protection, so that's something else I don't understand.

There are a quite a few on here I didn’t understand. :confused:

Knives, pallet knife, scissors, corkscrew? – considering they probably have bigger knives and sharper in any dining venue, and although I haven’t been there are probably more deadly items used to prepare the food in front of you in I think it’s the Sushi and Sashimi Bar.

Surge protector?

For the Alaska cruises - when you are in AK you will see Ulu knives everywhere. But when you board after your purchase of the Ulu knife, they will take it away from you. You will get it back on the last night.

I've also read that a lot of people have put bottles of water or soda (or insert any other type of liquid here), which was not booze and their bags ended up in the "naughty room" even though they were legit items. But all they do is call you down to the naughty room and have you open your bags so that they can check them. (Just a heads up if your luggage doesn't seem to be arriving when everyone else has theirs) :eek:

Irons are not permitted, but friends of ours got one through in their checked suitcase. I brought a hand-held steamer which worked out great.

Interesting - I use a steamer at home, so may try bringing a steamer on our cruise. I'm assuming that a pill cutter will make it though...? I know there's a list of allowable items, but it does seem to be a little quirky. :confused:

Thanks!

You are not allowed to bring an iron for safety and fire hazard reasons. However, if you need an iron, you can ask your room steward for one and they'll bring you one to use and you just return it when you are done. (I know this sounds stupid right?) :confused:

We have brought box wine on every cruise except the first. Declared it and had no problem.

Interestingly, for the first time in my experience, I saw a dog onboard the Epic TA. A lady had a Maltese with her, I assume as some type of service dog since that's the only exception I'm aware of. It was sitting on her lap during the Dating Game show at Bliss (she was a contestant) and I saw her again at the gym a few days later where the dog was happily accompanying her in a purse/bag. I have no idea what type of service the dog may have rendered, but it was absolutely quiet and well-behaved.

I knew a lady who suffered from epilepsy and she had a chihuahua that was her service dog. It could smell some hormone or chemical her body released before she was about to have a seizure and the little guy would alert her so she had time to get into a safe place/position before the seizure hit. I would guess that maybe the dog was for some kind of similar disability? She told me that the smaller dogs are more sensitive and they are carried close to the owner all the time so they can sense when the body has a change in the chemistry and alert the owner.

I've also read that a lot of people have put bottles of water or soda (or insert any other type of liquid here), which was not booze and their bags ended up in the "naughty room" even though they were legit items. But all they do is call you down to the naughty room and have you open your bags so that they can check them. (Just a heads up if your luggage doesn't seem to be arriving when everyone else has theirs) :eek:

That is why we carry ours on in a small rolling suitcase. When boarding the Sky in Miami, they had us open the bag and they checked several water bottles to make sure the seal was intact. They also turned it upside down and watched how the water flowed into the empty area. Supposedly, alcohol flows differently.

You are not allowed to bring an iron for safety and fire hazard reasons. However, if you need an iron, you can ask your room steward for one and they'll bring you one to use and you just return it when you are done. (I know this sounds stupid right?) :confused:

I wondered the same thing when I found out the stewards will bring you one on the Spirit. Maybe someone else was right that it has more to do with the amount of power they use, rather than the heat. Or, since they are only loaning it to you, there is less of a chance of it being left on in an empty cabin.

and that's what we were told was the reason they took it. I personally think it was because I had it on the very bottom, because we have taken the very same one on other NCL ships. I had a small plug in extender with 3 general outlets with me in my carry on, so at least we were covered with curling irons. My DH was about to laugh out loud with the internet cafe manager when he said they "use a different kind of electricity" on board, and that is why they took it. We laughed the rest of the week. This was only 3 months ago, on the Star.

Edited by hawaiideb
typos

Never had a problem with a power strip either, with a surge protector. Where does this stuff come from? We've cruised NCL since 2006.

I wonder if the guy who reported a problem with the power strip brought something more like an UPS (uninteruptale power supply) with a battery and all. It could possibly draw more power than what the ship could safely support. Otherwise, I'm confused by it too.

I wondered the same thing when I found out the stewards will bring you one on the Spirit. Maybe someone else was right that it has more to do with the amount of power they use, rather than the heat. Or, since they are only loaning it to you, there is less of a chance of it being left on in an empty cabin.

Power draw is the issue with the irons.

Well, that and pax cooking flounder in their room.....

Power draw is the issue with the irons.

Well, that and pax cooking flounder in their room.....

Not Flounder? He's too cute to cook and Ariel would miss him too much. Oh wait, we talking NCL, not Disney. :D

How strange that NCL does not allow irons for fire & safety reasons, but lit cigaretts ARE allowed in cabins. An ash can flick off the cigarette and ignite bedding in a flash.