age question ?

ladyruby

were on the emerald beginning of oct around the caribbean and im slightly concerned [reading some things on here that is ] that were going to be out of our age bracet, were mid 30's its the 11 nt cruise were doing if this makes any diff , thanks

I can hardly remember my 30's. However I can guess about the age make-up of your cruise. You will have more older rather than younger people on your cruise. You are cruising when school is in session so many 30 to 40 somethings don't cruise then as their children are in school. Since the cruise is 11 days in length you will also find that many working people can't get off from work for more than 7 days. Therefore you should expect to find retired people and people who can arrange their work schedules to their liking. That said I have had some great times with people of all ages on cruises. One of my favorite memories is having a conversation with a pilot who fought with the RAF in the Battle of Britain during WWII. I also enjoyed an 18 to 20 year old young man who could make up a rap about anything.

As noted above, you will probably be on the lower age end of the population at that time of year because of schools being in session, etc. That said I wouldn't be too concerned. We're just a few years ahead of you (42/37) and on our last cruise we had the most fun hanging out with a couple of 80+ers on their first cruise for their 50th anniv. You never know...

If it makes you feel better, we're doing a 10 day in the Canal at the same time and I expect an even older average crowd than yours :)

My only adjustment for this was looking more towards smaller private excursions that meet the activity level we may want.

were on the emerald beginning of oct around the caribbean and im slightly concerned [reading some things on here that is ] that were going to be out of our age bracet, were mid 30's its the 11 nt cruise were doing if this makes any diff , thanks

My husband and I took a 12 day mexico cruise in October a few years ago.. Yes- we were on the younger side- but we had a blast and did not feel out of place. I even got hypnotized on stage..

It was fun, lots of people in their 50's- late 70's, but There were others our age (early 30's at the time- now mid thirties!)

We did do a lot of shore stuff ourselves. We signed up for one city tour and didn't like the vibe of being on a tour bus with some rather old people :-) But then again- most of the shore stuff we did involved mountain biking, diving, ziplining anyway-

You will have a blast!

My DH and I took the 10 day Southern Caribbean Medley on the Emerald Princess and loved every moment. We are both in our mid 30’s (37 &34) and we were surprised at the amount of people our age that were on the ship. It wasn’t over whelming but then again we have been on cruises where we are 2 of 12 people that are under retirement age. We enjoyed the company of a women and her 7 year old son during this time and in his kids club there were 17 kids. A larger number of those kids were vacationing from the UK. I believe you will be pleasantly suprised.:rolleyes:

I think we're probably on the same cruise; 10 day S.Caribbean departing on 9/29? Anyway, we are 35 & 32 so pretty much in the same age range as you guys. I do expect that we will be more of a minority considering it's a longer cruise than a lot of people can take off work for. It's also during the school year so college kids that might sail the caribbean are in school and younger kids are as well, so thier parents are most likely not cruising at this time either.

Anyway, the age differences don't matter to us much... and to be honest, we like the fact that there won't be an abundance of kids all over the place. We specifically chose to cruise the caribbean at this time of year hoping that the pools and common areas would be a little calmer without all the tweens and teens treating it like a playground.

Plus, the other benefit of cruising the caribbean in the off season is the prices are a little better.

DH and I did an 11 night cruise for our honeymoon at 26. It wasn't on Princess, but I don't think that has much weight anyway.

We don't necessarily go on cruises to make friends. We go to enjoy time with each other and experience new places. As long as you have a similar outlook then I think you should be fine. Im fairly certain that there will be others in your age bracket on the cruise though.

When we have socialized we have found people in all age brackets (both much younger and older then us) and still managed to have a great time :)

As others have already mentioned - you will be amongs the youngest. I've been on the 10 night Emerald twice. Once with my daughter who was in her early 20's at the time. Most cruises over 7 nights attract an older crowd. For October though, I would expect the average age to be in the 50's. During winter months 70's.

My fiance and I are planning our 4th cruise and I'm in my late 20s and he's in his early 30s. When we started cruising together, we were both in our 20s. We find that most of the passengers are older than us, but we totally don't mind! It didn't detract from our cruise or anything. I guess it just depends what you are looking for in a trip...we love to see the sights and enjoy each other's company, we aren't huge partiers other than having a few drinks here and there....we LOVE princess cruises and probably won't ever change cruise lines!

thanks for your replies , i like mixing with people of all ages my concern was the entertainment etc , do princess change it subject to who they expect to cruise? not that were party animals at all but like to have a few drinks and a choice of things to do of an evening :)

thanks for your replies , i like mixing with people of all ages my concern was the entertainment etc , do princess change it subject to who they expect to cruise? not that were party animals at all but like to have a few drinks and a choice of things to do of an evening :)

We're in our early 30s, we did the 15 day Panama Canal cruise during Jan as well as during the summer with younger crowds.

The entertainment didn't really change. Some of the shows are clearly aimed at tastes of those much older then us. But there was usually something else to do if we didn't want to go to the show.

Most of the people are the cruise are the active type, regardless of age - it's fun to strike up conversations with all kinds of people. Not to mention if you go to events that could attract any other young folks you're bound to meet at least someone else in your age bracket.

There will always be some folks who can take more then 7 days of vacation at once. Not many, but they're out there ;-)

We have met all kinds of people of all ages on cruises. It is the variety that is enjoyable. We have met different ages, nationalities, different religions, straight, gay, Wonderful people. I still keep in touch with quite a few of them. Enjoy them all. You will love it.

Ok, for those that are looking at the "older" group just look at my record. We started cruising in 1995 and we were the "younger" group and now after 15 cruises and 16 years we are in the "older" group and looking back.

Inside is still a much younger person it's just the outside that looks older :)

Bottom line...enjoy looking ahead because one day you will be looking back. :) just have a great time on the way.

There will be a somewhat varied level of entertainment. During the day there will be ping pong tournaments, swimming contests, trivia games, and the like. In the evening clubs will be open (they tend to be not well attended), some shows will be put on by the Cruise Director and staff, and they will probably have a few theme things in the evening, like Princess Idol (takeoff on American Idol using Karoke) and the Newlywed Game (hilarious), and don't forget MUTS.

You can also go off by yourselves to one of the quieter bars (Crooners) and just have a drink and enjoy each other's company.

My DH is 56 and I'm 42, so we have been on the younger side (at least me) of cruisers, but we have met some lovely people and truly enjoyed their company. Don't let that stop you! :D

Archived