What do you need in "carry-on" for the Ship??

Oh Wow~it never even occurred to me that luggage could get lost like on a plane...I mean I figured it goes from the dock to the ship..how lost could it get. Now I am a little panicked. Didn't want to pack a change of clothes for FOUR of us and have to carry it on! Should I really plan for that? Sounds like some of you just take the basics I was thinking..papers, $$, electronics, bathing suit and flip flops...but others take a whole weeks worth of clothes practically!! Any happy medium?

My luggage was sitting 4 doors down and as I was walking down the hall, I said boy, that sure looks like my luggage. My wonderful room steward just happened to be right there and he looked at the tag and it had my room number on it. Sure enough, it was my bag.

We didn't get our luggage on the Dawn last week until after dinner. Felt really "grungy" for dinner with just my travel clothes . . . so I too suggest a change of clothes for each family member. Will the kids have backpacks? They could each have a change of clothes in there. And the youngest are apt to be covered with "spills" if they're anything like our kids when they were growing up. As others have said, you choose according to your own comfort level.

And enjoy your cruise. What a treat for your family!:mad:

Your call as to what you're comfortable with. Do keep in mind that the odds are LONG in your favor that your bag will show up fine.

Exactly. 30+ cruises and my bags have always showed up. Well except once but it was not far away. It was in the " naughty room". :D

Never had to use travel insurance either but I still buy it.

I have heard of people's luggage lost from the pier....maybe for some reason it never got on ship or it went on another ship or to another persons stateroom or some people will pick up a bag thinking it is theirs in the hallway.... it happens! I carry on things so that if my bag is lost I am ok I can purchase clothing in port or a few things on the ship. This is what I carry and you going to laugh! But think....a few items us women need (even men) can't be purchased on the ship.

passport, money, id, credit cards, atm card, boarding documents, medications, few make up, blow dryer (if stateroom not have one otherwise in regular luggage), hair brush, deodorant, toothbrush/paste, flip flops, 3 bras, 5 panties, 1 leggings, 2 tank tops, 2 dress shirts.

We are light packers maybe just experienced so we know what we really need and if we need anything washed cruise lines will do laundry usually in a day or day in half you get the stuff back the latest.

I don't put things in my carry-on because I think my luggage will get lost, I put things in there because:

They are needed to get on the ship (boarding docs, passports),

They are valuable and don't want to leave them with a longshoreman (camera, ipad, computer, jewelry, medications, money, credit cards, etc.)

I need it before my bags arrive (swim suit)

This is exactly the type of things I put in my carryon. But I'm a 1/2 full kinda gal. Not saying my bags couldn't be lost, but I could have that happen on the plane going to the ship and be in the same position.

Which would be worse not only do you have to worry about the cruise line finding your luggage/getting it and delivering to you but you would also have the airline have to do the same so chances are much worse in anybody finding your luggage in time for you to have for your cruise. BUT at least you will have time to get to a store and buy some clothes....I always say if your flying go the night before, anything can happen, delays, cancelled flights, even emergency landings that are time consuming...and weather surely can interfere with the flights schedule. Always go the night before its not worth taking a chance, unless you have insurance but even then you want to make the ship so night before for this girl. :)

Which would be worse not only do you have to worry about the cruise line finding your luggage/getting it and delivering to you but you would also have the airline have to do the same so chances are much worse in anybody finding your luggage in time for you to have for your cruise. BUT at least you will have time to get to a store and buy some clothes....I always say if your flying go the night before, anything can happen, delays, cancelled flights, even emergency landings that are time consuming...and weather surely can interfere with the flights schedule. Always go the night before its not worth taking a chance, unless you have insurance but even then you want to make the ship so night before for this girl. :)

Yes you are right if you worry about that kind of thing. There is such a small percentage on airlines and ships that have lost or misplaced luggage. Absolutely, I could be in that percentage but then again, I could be in the small percentage that a tree falls on. I just choose to hope that it won’t happen to me. If by chance it did then I would hope I would use my sense of humor to not let it ruin my vacation.

As for flying in the night before, I agree it is good advice, if it is at all possible (time and financial). Some people do not have the extra funds to stay in a hotel the night before. Some don’t have the extra day that is required to do that.

For those who are truly worried about this kind of thing, I really think they should consider packing in smaller suitcases (maybe bring 2 instead of 1) that will fit through the port entrance scanner and leaving them in the designated area onboard for checking luggage. That way if it for some reason they get misplaced from there, you know they are at least already onboard.

Your right its a very low percentage but I choose not to have that ever happen to me, if I go on a ship, shower for the evening and to put the same under clothing on I would feel just dirty, I like to have fresh clothing on, its just me. :)

Your right its a very low percentage but I choose not to have that ever happen to me, if I go on a ship, shower for the evening and to put the same under clothing on I would feel just dirty, I like to have fresh clothing on, its just me. :)

I can respect that. :)

Another tip for the OP: As there are 4 of you traveling, do NOT have a separate bag for each person. Put some of each person's clothes in each bag, so if (as is rarely the case as stated already here) one bag does not make it on the ship, everyone has what they need. I have read about too many couples who each had their own bag and risked one person having nothing, when it is so easy to just put some of each person's things in each bag.

I always believe that in planning for the worst you somehow reduce the odds of it happening -- probably no truth in that, but you do reduce the stress for sure!

Have a great time!

Another tip for the OP: As there are 4 of you traveling, do NOT have a separate bag for each person. Put some of each person's clothes in each bag, so if (as is rarely the case as stated already here) one bag does not make it on the ship, everyone has what they need. I have read about too many couples who each had their own bag and risked one person having nothing, when it is so easy to just put some of each person's things in each bag.

I always believe that in planning for the worst you somehow reduce the odds of it happening -- probably no truth in that, but you do reduce the stress for sure!

Have a great time!

I started doing that last year when we went to Alaska. I split up all the warm clothes so we each would have something warm to wear if one bag got misrouted.

Hi! Obviously new here, but I am sailing on the Jewel in 2 weeks and I have read on here about people having carry-on in addition to checked bags. We are not flying as we live close to NY so what does one need to carry -on? How soon can you leave bags in your room/ change clothes, etc after you arrive on the ship?:confused: Thanks!!!!

Sunscreen, meds, wear your bathing suit so you can get in the pool as soon as you get on the ship (while everyone else who hadn't thought about it wanders around in their travel clothes) last June we had the pool all to ourselves for 2 hours becuase everone else was waiting for their luggage to arrive

Have a great time!

Thanks..that's a great idea and seems to me the best alternative to lugging on extra clothes for everyone..I already had a carryon semi-packed with bathing suits, sunscreen, and of course all the "paper" stuff we would need, but then I thought I missed something and started this whole debate!!- I think I will mix up the bags and keep the carry- on light! The happy medium I was looking for!!:D

We aren't flying, but all of this lost luggage talk has me nervous. Do they really leave luggage behind that often? I get the plane thing, but where do you put your luggage when you check in to the ship? Do people from multiple ships check in luggage in the same spot like they do for or an airlines?

Buy a new pack of underwear at Targets. They pack smaller than your other ones. Pack a bra or two in your check on. Pack some sandals and a swimsuit and a cover. Pack your meds with a prescription in case you are stuck. Pack a sweater, some long pants, a nice top, a casual top. Put these all in your carry on and you'll be good to go. And some sink wash to clean them all up if needed. Don't forget toothbrush and toothpaste. Don't forget your favorite PJ's!:)

We aren't flying, but all of this lost luggage talk has me nervous. Do they really leave luggage behind that often? I get the plane thing, but where do you put your luggage when you check in to the ship? Do people from multiple ships check in luggage in the same spot like they do for or an airlines?

Agreed, I got really freaked out!! I never thought of lost luggage on the ship..I was more worried about where we could change into bathing suits! Read the above post on mixing up the bags and even though you will still be worried now about lost bags( like me!), you won't have to carry as much..hopefully! Happy Sailing!

I really wouldn't worry, it is an extremely low percentage. NCL has 11 ships in their fleet, traveling with 2000+ passengers every week (26 weeks in 6 months). I've only seen it once in the 6 months that I have monitored this site. His bag got put on another ship in port. That is an extremely low percentage. Just don't leave anything in your checked baggage that you would be devastated that it got lost. (example Grandma's Pearl necklace). NCL was much better than airlines about it. Airlines give you a razor kit and tell you they will try to locate it. NCL located his bag, gave him a small OBC to allow him to purchase some essentials for him and his wife and offered free laundry service until his bag could catch up to him.

Sorry to be the one who started this lost luggage theme but really no need to fret it is EXTREMELY rare that your luggage will be hijacked or waterlogged. Don't listen to me I'm just over cautious as I said our vacations always seem to have things that go wrong so I just like to prepare as much as possible. One of the reasons I do like to have emergency clothes with me is that if luggage does end up missing I wouldn't be one that could just go buy something on board as I am on the fluffier side and don't know if they would have my size.

You have gotten a lot of good advice here so please put your fears aside and just know that you are going to have a wonderful time!:D

I really wouldn't worry, it is an extremely low percentage. NCL has 11 ships in their fleet, traveling with 2000+ passengers every week (26 weeks in 6 months). I've only seen it once in the 6 months that I have monitored this site. His bag got put on another ship in port. That is an extremely low percentage. Just don't leave anything in your checked baggage that you would be devastated that it got lost. (example Grandma's Pearl necklace). NCL was much better than airlines about it. Airlines give you a razor kit and tell you they will try to locate it. NCL located his bag, gave him a small OBC to allow him to purchase some essentials for him and his wife and offered free laundry service until his bag could catch up to him.

So probably a port like Boston where there is only one NCL ship leaving has an even smaller chance of lost luggage? :) I was planning the carry on thing anyway, but I REALLY would be a bit devastated to have to live in one or two outfits all week long (not to mention the fact that I would probably wear/carry on shorts because they take less room so that would limit our restaurant options). That said I would assume NCL would be as accommodating/helpful as possible since it was their faux pas. Also if suitcases are checked in together, wouldn't they stay together...so not sure about the shared luggage...will probably do that any way just to give us an extra layer of protection.

So probably a port like Boston where there is only one NCL ship leaving has an even smaller chance of lost luggage? :) I was planning the carry on thing anyway, but I REALLY would be a bit devastated to have to live in one or two outfits all week long (not to mention the fact that I would probably wear/carry on shorts because they take less room so that would limit our restaurant options). That said I would assume NCL would be as accommodating/helpful as possible since it was their faux pas. Also if suitcases are checked in together, wouldn't they stay together...so not sure about the shared luggage...will probably do that any way just to give us an extra layer of protection.

You are right that if there is only one ship in port that makes the percentages less again.

Yes I'm sure NCL would accommodate for the no shorts type thing.

If they were checked together yes that might make it more likely that they would be lost together but not necessarily as the baggage is grabbed and to my understanding put on airport style luggage carts and one person maybe tossing to this cart and one another.

You appear to have true apprehension about this happening so I believe you are being very wise to just bring it on with you, so you can put this out of your mind and have a good vacation.

Everyone worries about different things in life.

Archived