What do you need in "carry-on" for the Ship??

Hi! Obviously new here, but I am sailing on the Jewel in 2 weeks and I have read on here about people having carry-on in addition to checked bags. We are not flying as we live close to NY so what does one need to carry -on? How soon can you leave bags in your room/ change clothes, etc after you arrive on the ship?:confused: Thanks!!!!

Welcome to cruising! You should take your meds, a change of clothes and underwear, your bathing suit, makeup, change of shoes, sweater (it's cold on the ships). Bring anything you believe you could not do without for a day. Luggage delivery varies but usually is there by the evening.

We sail out of NYC all the time and I have learned to reduce to one small bag if possible. I take a case of Diet caffine free coke with a luggage tag and it is delivered with the regular luggage. I wear what I would for dinner and everyone is dressed casually on the first night. I throw sandels in my carry on bag and we usually don't get to the room before 4 but the luggage can be another hour or two. You usually end up with the carryon with you that time. keep it light.

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of cruising and most likely an addictive one. You will probably be able to get into your cabin around 2-3ish (maybe earlier). In your carry-on of course bring any valuables and medications but also if you want to get into the pool bring your swimsuit. If you are anything like us and if this is your 1st cruise I doubt you will want to as you will probably be wandering around in amazement!:D

I don't want to scare you but I would also keep at least one change of clothing with you as sometimes (extremely rare I belive) your suitcases may not make it to your room. Things happen and they may get routed to another ship or who knows what. I have read on here a few times in the last few years of this happening but again... I wouldn't worry about it too much but I'm one that doesn't want to take the chance of not being able to change and... "things" happen to us a lot when we go on vacations.:eek: If your bags do get left behind or misplaced I have read that it may take a few days to get them to you since you will be at sea and they have to arrange to get them to you at one of your ports.

Everyone is different so whatever you feel would dampen your vacation if you didn't have right away I would keep with you.

Welcome and Bon Voyage!

since you are driving, the only things that you need in your carry-on are those things that you will want before your checked bags are available. Your cabin should be ready by 2pm...you might want to change in to a bathing suit, etc. Maybe a camera?

Not to be too big a pessimist, but I would carry on some basic toiletries and a change of clothes just in case your checked bag does not make it by dinner or not even on the ship at all.

From previous experiences

*Tickets/ID/Passport

*Camera

*Sunglasses/hat - spend long time on deck, and if you don't normally carry these items you'll wish you had

*Meds (RX, headache, etc)

*Playing cards - we bought some waterproof ones (Great for use when moisture in air etc.,) to play with our friends once we get settled for lunch - if we need to bide time until rooms ready

Thanks for the quick responses..I really hope all our bags make it on board ;) I can pack my whole family for a week in Disney is all carryon, but this seems to require a whole other level of packing!! I really don't want to carry a huge bag around the first day, so even if I can leave it our room by 2-3 that would be good!

Here's what I take in my carry-on (some repeats from others)

Wallet/cash/ID

Computer or other electronics (ipad)

Personal game consoles (my kids)

Cell Phone

Medications

Passports

Boarding passes & other travel docs

Bathing suit

Any valuables (like a necklace my wife likes)

I don't pack any toiletries because most are available on the ship if needed. Same with extra clothing if something gets lost. I figure with money and ID I can survive most anything.

Hi! Obviously new here, but I am sailing on the Jewel in 2 weeks and I have read on here about people having carry-on in addition to checked bags. We are not flying as we live close to NY so what does one need to carry -on? How soon can you leave bags in your room/ change clothes, etc after you arrive on the ship?:confused: Thanks!!!!

frist of all, it is a good idea to carry on a change of clothes and of course the usual: meds, makeup, jewelry, and anything you might need the first few hours. As for when you can get to your cabin: officially it is 2pm or there abouts, but usually the cabins are ready by about 1:30. Oh, we also, if we haven't ordered a bar set up like to bring our wine aboard so we can have a toast as soon as our cabin is ready. What a way to start the cruise.

Nita

If you're not checking your main bag (some folks don't) then you don't even need a carry on.

If you are checking your bag, then in your carry on you might need:

A bathing suit/Sun block if you want to go in the pool right away.

All your medications

All your important papers.

Maybe a change of underwear.

Cpap or other medical machine if you use one.

Anything else you need to have if by chance your bag is put on the wrong ship (happens very rarely.)

On the 2 NCL ships I was on, they said cabins would be ready by 2pm. They were actually ready by 1:30 and 2:00.

After a few cruises I decided I didn't need a carry-on anymore. Just a purse, which has the usual purse things, plus some aspirin, a camera, sunglasses, and anything else I just wouldn't want to put in the checked luggage. Maybe my journal and a pen so I can start documenting the fun right away! :D

(I do take a carry-on for the last night, but it's in my checked bag.)

We've always had our luggage at our room before sailaway or shortly thereafter.

Have fun and congrats on booking your first cruise!

I'm one of those who don't pack an extra outfit...I'm already wearing underwear (which can be washed & dried if the luggage meets with its demise). I would NEVER subject anyone to seeing me in a bathing suit, so don't carry that! Basically, in my carry on is anything I think is valuable - passport, wallet, papers, iPod, more expensive jewelry (usually take only fake - including wedding set), cellphone, camera, extra glasses, crossword puzzel book, $$$ and meds. My carry on is a large tote bag so it's easy to carry. We're about to drive to port for the first time, and I'm delighted! Enjoy your trip!

Congrats Disney you will love cruising. Everyone already gave you great ideas so with that I will say after 39 cruises I still pack extra set of clothes just in case I don't get my luggage. I also bring paperwork, cruise edocs, passport and make a copy of passport God Forbid anything happens and you lose it. Also on the last nite they ask you to put your luggage outside your room around midnite. So I always have a carryon for my change of clothes, meds jewelery, camera(thelast nite I always take extra pixs) for men they don't need as much crap as women. We like our toilitries, my make up bag has grown leaps and bounds from when I was 20 something, have a great time and enjoy

Camera, Kindle, iPad and chargers. Passports, edocs and confirmations. Flip flops, bathing suit, black tank travelers dress that can be used over bathing suit or to dinner. Scarf or pashmina. Jewelery, toiletries, meds. Hey - I guess I really don't even need a suitcase!:rolleyes:

We did have some friends on the Dawn Repo last fall who's bags got put on the Jewel by accident. They didn't get their stuff until Curacao, which was about a week into it.:eek: They were great sports, but after that I will always make sure to have a few necessities constantly at my side until the suitcases show up!

My carry on rule the bare necessities to make it for a week if my bag does not show up. I can always by t-shirts onboard but having enough underware in case I have to sent it out or wash in the sink. Long paints if wearing shorts when boarding and an extra polo shirt. Plus all the stuff you should never check.

It is my cruise survival kit. I hope I never have to use it.

Oh Wow~it never even occurred to me that luggage could get lost like on a plane...I mean I figured it goes from the dock to the ship..how lost could it get. Now I am a little panicked. Didn't want to pack a change of clothes for FOUR of us and have to carry it on! Should I really plan for that? Sounds like some of you just take the basics I was thinking..papers, $$, electronics, bathing suit and flip flops...but others take a whole weeks worth of clothes practically!! Any happy medium?

Oh Wow~it never even occurred to me that luggage could get lost like on a plane...I mean I figured it goes from the dock to the ship..how lost could it get. Now I am a little panicked. Didn't want to pack a change of clothes for FOUR of us and have to carry it on! Should I really plan for that? Sounds like some of you just take the basics I was thinking..papers, $$, electronics, bathing suit and flip flops...but others take a whole weeks worth of clothes practically!! Any happy medium?

Your call as to what you're comfortable with. Do keep in mind that the odds are LONG in your favor that your bag will show up fine.

We are callow newbies with only five cruises in our tally, but we have yet to really need anything we packed in carry-on bags out of anxiety about what might go awry. Once aboard with travel documents and cash and a camera, the early hours are too full to fret about changes of clothes, toiletries and such. Dodge the crew members steering folks to the lido buffet, find the main dining room, order at least two appetizers and a dessert then head for the cabin for a nice nap before the bags show up and have to be unpacked before lifeboat muster. You probably don't have to change clothes before heading for the cruise critic sail-away meeting.

I always pack all I need for 2 whole days including bathing suit and cover flip flops nightwear pjs Casual day clothes ,something nice for evening and the next days daytime clothes Do not forget makeup,brushes shoes undies etc etc I once did not get my luggage until the second day I was glad I had all for 2 days

Bon Voyage

Michele

I have never heard of anyone having their luggage lost while going on a cruise. I am not referring to the airlines fault. Only the cruise lines or port employees.

You need to listen more. It is rare but does happen with some regularity. Even this thread where some of the bags for the Dawn repo ended up on the Jewel. With more then one ship it port it happens somewhat often. Bags have also ended up in the drink when being loaded. The most common delay of you baggage it ends up in the wrong stateroom and for some strange reason the others with your bag don't seem to notice for days.

You need to listen more. It is rare but does happen with some regularity. Even this thread where some of the bags for the Dawn repo ended up on the Jewel. With more then one ship it port it happens somewhat often. Bags have also ended up in the drink when being loaded. The most common delay of you baggage it ends up in the wrong stateroom and for some strange reason the others with your bag don't seem to notice for days.

I don't think it's necessary to scare people into thinking that it happens enough that they need to pack everything they possibly can into their carry-on. Yes it COULD happen. But the likeliness of it is pretty low, especially if you think of the percentages.

I do tend to err on the side of caution when we fly and pack only carry-on...I just thought the odds of lost luggage would be lower on a cruise. Didn't mean to start a debate. Obviously ANYTHING could happen. But it seems from what most people wrote that odds of a delay are low. Thanks for all the input!

If your luggage has been LOST, I would like to hear what happened...:confused:

I don't think it's necessary to scare people into thinking that it happens enough that they need to pack everything they possibly can into their carry-on. Yes it COULD happen. But the likeliness of it is pretty low, especially if you think of the percentages.

Never wanted to scare anyone but to make sure they are prepared at a minimal level. My response was to your never happens post which is clearly not the case.

I don't put things in my carry-on because I think my luggage will get lost, I put things in there because:

They are needed to get on the ship (boarding docs, passports),

They are valuable and don't want to leave them with a longshoreman (camera, ipad, computer, jewelry, medications, money, credit cards, etc.)

I need it before my bags arrive (swim suit)

Archived