Water-resistant or Water-proof jackets for Alaska?

WhiteRabbit

I'm trying to figure out if we need to buy truly water-proof jackets before our trip, or if we can use any of the water-resistant type of jackets that we already own. We've been 'testing' them by running the sleeves under the kitchen faucet, and I have to say that most of them seem very good at keeping the water out of the inside of the sleeve even though the fabric looks soaked on the outside.

Am I missing something here? How can you tell the difference between water-resistant and water-proof if there are no tags that tell you what it is?

Maybe my question should be, "How hard does it have to rain before a water-resistant jacket isn't useful anymore?" and, "What are the chances of it raining that hard in the Inside Passage ports in early August?"

I want to be prepared because I hate being cold and wet, but I don't want to go overboard and buy something that I don't really need to.

We're going to be doing all open-air, outside, easy walking/hiking type of tours at all three ports and just walking around Victoria on the last day.

The major difference is that if you are in the middle of a down pour that you will get wet if you have a water resistant jacket as the water will come through the jacket.

If you were purchasing the jacket from the get go I would recommend water proof.

Since you already have the other type of jacket if you don't want to spend the money then be sure to take umbrellas with you.

Keith

Is pressure. The easiest way to explain it is when a water resistant material gets wet and pressure is applied to the fabric (you lean against a wall or sit down on a bus) the water will soak through the fabric. If the fabric is water proof, the water will not soak through.

The better water resistant material and finishes require more pressure for the water to soak through. Less expensive; not as much. I think this has to do with the tightness of the weave of the fabric.

In addition, a water proof jacket will have sealed seams and the zippers and closures will also be sealed (water proof).

My husband loves his soft-shell water resistant jacket because it "breathes" a little better. I really like my water proof, wind proof hard shell jacket because it protects me better from the wind.

If the jacket you own moves well (you said you are hiking/walking when in port) then I would suggest you take it and purchase some disposable ponchos for emergencies.

I agree with the umbrella but I would also add a poncho and baseball cap. Not a $1 cheapy poncho. I bought a TOTES for $6-$7 and it has served me well. It's sturdy, and folds up small enough to carry in a side pocket on my daypack. You can also wear it over your pack to keep the pack dry. We hung them in the shower to drip dry (the RV in Alaska and the ship in Italy).

The problem I have with an umbrella is travelling thru crowds. You're forever pulling it up or down to avoid poking someone's eye out, so I end up getting wet anyway. Plus I like to have both hands free.

On a tight budget don't buy anything and if it is raining spring for a cheap poncho or other plastic throw away.

If you want something serious, get something with Gortex.

I'm trying to figure out if we need to buy truly water-proof jackets before our trip, or if we can use any of the water-resistant type of jackets that we already own......

Maybe my question should be, "How hard does it have to rain before a water-resistant jacket isn't useful anymore?" and, "What are the chances of it raining that hard in the Inside Passage ports in early August?"

I want to be prepared because I hate being cold and wet, but I don't want to go overboard and buy something that I don't really need to.

We're going to be doing all open-air, outside, easy walking/hiking type of tours at all three ports and just walking around Victoria on the last day.

We just cruised Alaska on NCL Pearl, and there were ponchos for sale at the gangway when you leave the ship ($3 ($5?) each - don't remember exactly the price, but they cost less than the ones we bought from home), you may just buy one if needed. We brought our own but did not use them as the rain was not so heavy and our water-resistant jackets were sufficient.

(Edited)

"...If the jacket you own moves well (you said you are hiking/walking when in port) then I would suggest you take it and purchase some disposable ponchos for emergencies.

My personal experience when I lived in South Eastern Alaska was that with water proof jackets it causes me to sweat so much I am just as wet next to my skin as I would in a downpour with a water resistant jacket. I like the cheap poncho suggestion to wear over a water resistant jacket if it becomes necessary. Water proofed material can be expensive. And remember you are not going to be exposed to the elements for days at a time but just for a few hours on a shore excursion or a hike.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, where we're well-known for our rain. :p I don't even own a waterproof jacket, just water resistant. It's been extremely rare that it's rained so hard any soaked through and even then it was just damp and not wet. I bought ponchos for our last Alaska cruise but we never needed them--it just got a little drizzly in Juneau and it was rainy and chilly on the trip from Anchorage to Whittier (the day before it was 79 and sunny), but we were on the train so it didn't really matter. Now, the PWS glacier cruise was sure wet, but we were fine with our water resistant outerwear.

Have a great cruise!

I prefer water resistant to water proof due to the sweating issue. If you are wearing a water proof jacket and you get all damp and sweaty you are going to feel chilled very quickly.

I carry a trash sack in my pack to protect my camera gear if it really starts to pour and another one that I can make into a cheapie poncho that I can wear until I can get indoors or the rain stops.

I have taken waterproof jackets and boots twice now to Alaska. Never used them either time. Good weather, no rain....both times in May.

I will never take that stuff again if I go. :D

If it pours, I would stay inside anyway YMMV :D

A hooded jacket is better than an umbrella....that way your hands are free :D

Archived