What type of packer are you?

CruiseGal97

Usually a month before my cruise date, I compile a packing list & do my shopping from there. After everything is purchased & collected, I usually pack about a week prior to my cruise. And then I do a "double check" a few days before I leave to make sure. I haven't forgotten anything on the last 2 cruises I have taken so it seems to work for me! :)

I always pack last minute, as in the morning of the cruise. Due to the rushing, I always forget something like my camera, etc. Last year was the worst. I was in the check-in line at NCL and I forgot a document for my son. I was so worried that I they would not let me on and I"d have to drive back home to get it, but the supervisor made a few calls and I was allowed to board.

That taught me such a lesson. I will never pack last minute again!!! Thie year I will also use a great packing checklist that I got here on CC.

Usually a month before my cruise date, I compile a packing list & do my shopping from there. After everything is purchased & collected, I usually pack about a week prior to my cruise. And then I do a "double check" a few days before I leave to make sure. I haven't forgotten anything on the last 2 cruises I have taken so it seems to work for me! :)

I'm a last minute packer. I've had more than one limo waiting in my driveway while I'm packing.

Yeah, always forget things, guess I'll never learn. You can always buy what you need.

One business trip, I forgot to pack something. I was driving around the suburbs in Arlington Va on Sunday night at 11PM looking for a 7-eleven that sold underwear. Needless to say, it was a busy night in the hotel, blow drying my Fruit of the looms with a hairdryer.

I pack the night before the cruise since I live 45 minutes away from The Port of Miami, and finish packing in the morning. I have forgotten the sunscreen several times, and have ended up buying it on the ship or have stopped at a Walgreen's on the way to Port.

I usually go shopping for more cruise outfits the night before because I want all of my clothes to be new. Last cruise I didn't buy anything new for the cruise because I wanted to save money, but the night before I went ahead and bought new clothes for the cruise. The only times that I haven't bought any new clothes have been for the last minute weekend cruises that I book 2 days before out of Miami.

I'm a last minute packer. I've had more than one limo waiting in my driveway while I'm packing.

Yeah, always forget things, guess I'll never learn. You can always buy what you need.

One business trip, I forgot to pack something. I was driving around the suburbs in Arlington Va on Sunday night at 11PM looking for a 7-eleven that sold underwear. Needless to say, it was a busy night in the hotel, blow drying my Fruit of the looms with a hairdryer.

HAHHAHAHA! :D

Everyone has different ways of going about things. I know you can always purchase things that you forget - but I rather not. Especially since the cruise line & some port shops charge a fortune on certain items - $12.99 for sunscreen?!? I could buy 4 at my local Walmart! :eek:

I pack the night before the cruise since I live 45 minutes away from The Port of Miami, and finish packing in the morning. I have forgotten the sunscreen several times, and have ended up buying it on the ship or have stopped at a Walgreen's on the way to Port.

I usually go shopping for more cruise outfits the night before because I want all of my clothes to be new. Last cruise I didn't buy anything new for the cruise because I wanted to save money, but the night before I went ahead and bought new clothes for the cruise. The only times that I haven't bought any new clothes have been for the last minute weekend cruises that I book 2 days before out of Miami.

I'm the same way about cruising with new clothes (and new shoes too)! Though I do my shopping about a month prior to the cruise, it goes straight into the suitcase & never gets worn until the cruise. I'm not sure why I do this. My family thinks I'm crazy and always say "It's not like anyone on board knows your wearing new clothes". But still.. That's my preference :D

Do you pack at the last minute or a week ahead. And for those of you who pack last minute do you forget things? Or do you find if you pack a week ahead do you forget also? Thanks

I make my list out about 6 weeks before cruising, after trying on the dressy clothes with matching jewelry. Then about two weeks before cruising, I start packing. As I pack, I cross off the list, as I place items in the luggage. I didn't used to cross off & found myself digging thru the luggage, to make sure I packed this or that. So it is important to me to cross it off. This works for me.

I'll let you know in 117 days. lol!

For other trips I tend to be a 2-nights-before packer. Then I double check everything on the night before. The morning of I throw in the last-minute stuff; hair dryer, makeup, etc. and I'm good to go. :D

For my October cruise I'll be leaving my kids for a week so my plan is to start packing Thursday night, finish Friday night and spend Saturday doing fun stuff with the family. Then Sunday we drive to the port town. Can't wait!!!

I feel like packing is part of the fun, so I start early because I'm too excited to not start.

Also, if things don't fit anymore or need replacing, a month is plenty of time to get them.

Me too. :D I've already compiled my packing list - a 3 page long document that includes all my travel info, what I want to pack broken down by category, a list of what I want to wear on what day/s and what day I plan to wash to avoid over-packing and even a list of potential items based on Cruise Critic threads and tips I've read and want to remember. :p

My dining room becomes cruise central about 3 or 4 weeks before we cruise. I start collecting things and put them in my dining room. I have a hanging clothes rack that I put clothes on that I know I will not be wearing. It is easy when you are cruising off season but when vacations occur in the summer it is a little more difficult. I rarely forget anything and everyone has a trouble free vacation. I pack everything for the family except their casual clothes. All the dressy stuff I make sure I pack. As for actually putting it in the suitcases maybe a couple of days before. I have learned a lot from these boards and have used a lot of their suggestions. My new favorite thing is a small popup hamper. It makes it so much easier to keep the cabin organized. Happy cruising.

Karen

I used to pack a week early and I'd forget what I'd packed. Now I know where everything is, make sure it's all clean and pack the morning of. I almost forgot my over the door thingie once which had just about all the good stuff in it. On the last cruise I put on my makeup and forgot it! And my contact lens case! Now I keep makeup and case in the over the door thingie so I know I have it.

I took my son with me once and he'd been the year before. I kept on him to get things ready. He packed day of. We went to get dressed for the first dinner and his pants were 2" too short, he'd forgotten his belt and his pants were a bit loose. He'd grown much taller and thinner since the last cruise. We scrambled to get him put together. He didn't laugh about it until the cruise was over.

I make my packing list probably a month in advance. But I don't actually pack until the night before, maybe 2 nights before if I know I'm going to be busy. I take carry-on only, whenever possible. Twice before I have forgotten to pack pajamas; both times I didn't make a packing list. I always make a list now. :o

You have to think about all the elements that go into packing, lol.

I'm an overpacker , by choice, to begin with, so packing ahead of time is important to me. I have the urge now to start pulling my suitcases out of the closet and begin throwing things in there, but at 4 and 7 days it may be a little early. But I have been buying clothes, shoes, etc. for the cruise thus far.

I'll start worrying about packing about a month out. I do "dry runs" with packing to make sure everything is going to fit, which stuff needs to go in which bag etc. Its fun, its part of the process. Thank gosh I'm driving to port this time and don't have to worry about luggage fees:D

I pack the night before leaving or the morning of the trip. I am a very light packer, one carry on sized convertable back pack and a small day pack. Easy on and off, nothing gets lost or stolen. It is the only way to travel from a weekend trip to a month. And now that I have a Kindle I am even packing lighter, no stack of books, just my very light weight Kindle with dozens of books loaded and ready to go.

You have to think about all the elements that go into packing, lol.

I'm an overpacker , by choice, to begin with, so packing ahead of time is important to me. I have the urge now to start pulling my suitcases out of the closet and begin throwing things in there, but at 4 and 7 days it may be a little early. But I have been buying clothes, shoes, etc. for the cruise thus far.

I'll start worrying about packing about a month out. I do "dry runs" with packing to make sure everything is going to fit, which stuff needs to go in which bag etc. Its fun, its part of the process. Thank gosh I'm driving to port this time and don't have to worry about luggage fees:D

Super Lucky! This is the first time we will have to fly in and those baggage fees are going to definitely factor into how I pack. I'm already planning on doing laundry on the ship and since we are flying in a day ahead, instead of shopping here I'm planning on finding a Walmart or Target near the hotel and getting anything else we need there.

We're leaving in 11 days (woo hoo!!!) and I already have started packing some things. After forgetting the curling iron and flat iron on our last 7 night cruise and forgetting the blow dryer and my swimsuit coverup on the cruise before that I've kind of turned into a packing ****. I have a spreadsheet with exactly what I'm going to wear every day, a list of all the toilitries and travel items I'll need, etc. Most everything but the clothes I'll need to wear between now and then are already packed.

My sister is a major overpacker (granted, a lot of space in her bags is taken up with prescription meds and first aid supplies - she's type 1 diabetic and has some problems with her feet due to poor circulation). Also, my niece is coming on our next cruise and her dress for elegant night is freaking huge (I told her Mom not to buy her a poofy dress but did she listen......of course not!) so I'm afraid we're going to have at least 2 large bags and 2 carry on size bags. Guess it's a darn good thing we're driving and I have a huge SUV!

I like to start organizing and making lists about a month before (although I have a file in my iPhone to keep track of some of the great ideas I pick up here)... and then pack about a week before.

The other day I was looking for something and ended up having to take the suitcases out of the closest to rummage around - my boyfriend walked in and exclaimed "You're not packing yet are you?"... no dear... our cruise is not til November! Too funny!

Archived