What type of packer are you?

CruiseGal97

This time I will definately be packing early. I have a lot to do with our wedding the few days before the wedding. So I will probably pack between a month and 2 weeks prior to our cruise. I won't need my dressy clothing before then so that won't be an issue. As for my soon to be husband..we will just need to leave a space for his suit in our suitcase so that it can be put on top.

I usually dont start packing until a couple of days prior to going. Drop most of my clothes off at the cleaners. Have a great cleaner that has fold service that folds each blouse or mens shirt aroung a piece of carboard and then places them in individual bags. Very easy to pack and never have wrinkled clothes. Just hang them when we get on the ship. I do however make a packing list a couple weeks prior to going so I am assured not to forget anything.

Super Lucky! This is the first time we will have to fly in and those baggage fees are going to definitely factor into how I pack. I'm already planning on doing laundry on the ship and since we are flying in a day ahead, instead of shopping here I'm planning on finding a Walmart or Target near the hotel and getting anything else we need there.

Well, I can tell you that I did Jetblue in Jan. for my cruise I did a 28 inch checked bag (they still do first bag for free though), 19 inch roll carry on, the I did a small duffle for my "personal item." I felt like I still overpacked and didn't have to pay for it, lol.

I usually plan out my outfits way in advance and pack at least a week before hand. We are leaving next Wednesday and I haven't even thought about what I will take or started packing at all. Even if I end up packing last minute, I will still over pack :)

Not a good one, if everything in my closet fit me and I didn't have too many shoes I would be a better one. It is trying to organize outfits that takes too much of my time. My DH disappears when I start packing!

My cruise is in 109 days. I have my new carryon out with a few things inside, and a small laundry basket with other items I don't want to forget and I know I won't be using in the meantime (travel power strip, small nightlight, various toiletries, post-it notes, hanging pocket organizer, etc). In the month before the trip I will likely start packing in earnest. I like to use large ziplock bags and pack outfits together (IMO the packing cubes and bags that are available take up too much space and weight) . If CBP decides to inspect my bag, it's easier for them to put everything back.

Like many others, I like wearing new clothes on vacation; I've bought several items that I have hanging up in the closet, but I will most likely not wear them until the cruise. Some say "who would know?", but I justify it because I don't want to be wearing the same clothes in pictures from 4 different vacations, I'm just sayin'!

I definitely tent to over-pack. One year I made a postcard of all the things I packed, then kept track of what I actually wore. Ugh, could have left half of it home!

Happy Cruising!

Cala

If we cruise the Caribbean in the Fall or Winter, we pack our cruise clothes as we're putting away the summer clothes. We also tend to add/pick up items before our cruise, and add them to the bags. I think our last cruise I did a final pack a few days before the cruise, but probably did a pack/unpack/pack several times just to be sure I had mostly outfits that could be mix/match with other things in the bag.

My cruise is in 109 days. I have my new carryon out with a few things inside, and a small laundry basket with other items I don't want to forget and I know I won't be using in the meantime (travel power strip, small nightlight, various toiletries, post-it notes, hanging pocket organizer, etc). In the month before the trip I will likely start packing in earnest. I like to use large ziplock bags and pack outfits together (IMO the packing cubes and bags that are available take up too much space and weight) . If CBP decides to inspect my bag, it's easier for them to put everything back.

Like many others, I like wearing new clothes on vacation; I've bought several items that I have hanging up in the closet, but I will most likely not wear them until the cruise. Some say "who would know?", but I justify it because I don't want to be wearing the same clothes in pictures from 4 different vacations, I'm just sayin'!

I definitely tent to over-pack. One year I made a postcard of all the things I packed, then kept track of what I actually wore. Ugh, could have left half of it home!

Happy Cruising!

Cala

Very good idea! Going on the Tips & Tricks section of The List. :D

Do you pack at the last minute or a week ahead. And for those of you who pack last minute do you forget things? Or do you find if you pack a week ahead do you forget also? Thanks

Remember the Odd Couple ? I'm Oscar Madison .

Once I forgot underwear !

I do "dry runs" with packing to make sure everything is going to fit, which stuff needs to go in which bag etc. Its fun, its part of the process. Thank gosh I'm driving to port this time and don't have to worry about luggage fees:D

lolol. I thought i was the only one who did dry runs lol.

Here is my schedule:

1. About 6 months out, i make a packing list. Check off what I have and put the rest on a To Buy list.

2. Over the next few months, I will gradually buy everything on my To Buy list (when i spot it) and place it in the suitcase for storage.

3. One week out, I put everything i want to take on my bed, then put half of it away.

4. I do a "dry run" test pack to figure out where everything needs to go to balance out the weight in the 2 suitcases and to find out if i still need to toss some stuff or have room for more stuff. This can take a couple evenings to figure it all out lol.

5. I remove the items from my suitcase that I will need for that final week, leaving everything else in the suitcase.

6. The DAY before, i do the official pack. It takes no time at all since I did the dry run already and most of the stuff is still in the suitcase. A little re-arranging and I'm done.

7. That night, put the suitcases in the van, put the last of the toiletries and clothes in the carryon and hit the sheets.

I pack the the night before I leave, the wife packs about 2 or 3 days before and it takes her a couple hours... me about 30 mins..

i did leave a cam behind once... did not for get to pack it just left it in the car...

I start packing maybe 2 weeks out. Tossing things in and around the open suitcase.

I have a list that I keep from year to year, checking things off as I go.

So far have only forgotten something once, an eyebrow/liner pencil. That is a last minute item. Won't be forgetting it again. I keep one in the suitcase.

depends on how long the trip is going to be. for short trips usually the day before. for longer trips, i will begin gathering things i don't use everyday the weekend before, but i still pack the day before. have not forgot anything as of yet (knock on wood).:)

Okay you got me thinking and i have a packing question: has anyone ever tried to use the vaccum sealed bags to make more room in their suitcases? I would like to but i am worried when we repack i don't have a vaccum to reseal? LOL do i ask our room attendant? Also we would like to purchase the alcohol on our trip because it is so cheap but we have to fly home from Miami to Newark - is the alcohol allowed on the plane and how do you pack it? Any help?

Archived