On Carnival does a 1 yr old count as adult?

newbiecruiser-texas

Yes, an infant pays the 3rd person rate. I've never seen Carnival do a "kids sail free" promotion. Their 3rd person rates are more reasonable than, for example, Royal Caribbean, though.

I believe that Disney prorates the child's fare based on age up to a certain point, but is the only line where a child pays less based upon age in the absence of a "kids sail free" deal. Even with the "kids sail free," you pay port fees and taxes.

just to clarify - the child will pay 3rd/4th person rates if s/he is the 3rd/4th person in the cabin....otherwise you are charged the regular 1st/2nd rates. Right? I just don't want to assume there will be > 2 people in a room. 3rd/4th persons are usually reduced rates, and (at least on RCCL) I believe that rate depends on what type of room you are in.

Yep, full rate. As the others said, if she is the 3rd person in the cabin, then you would pay the same for her as if she was 1 or 31 - the slightly reduced 3rd person rate.

If she is the 2nd person in your cabin, then you would pay the full rate for her.

Luckily, if you are on Carnival, chances are your 3rd rate may not be as high as some other cruiselines. Our rates on RCI (and even Disney) were as high as $899 for the kids. When we traveled on Carnival, the rates for the 1st/2nd person were less, so then the 3/4th person rate was less -- sometimes they can be as low as $199 which isn't bad -- considering. ;)

OP has another thread where she states grandchild and child's parents will now be staying home, due to the $200 fare.

thanks for the advice - my daughter has now decided not to go on the cruise as it's going to cost them $200 for the baby....shame there is no military discount for them to use.

OP has another thread where she states grandchild and child's parents will now be staying home, due to the $200 fare.

$200? :eek: It's just $200 and now two people are going to stay home from possibly the vacation of a lifetime? :eek:

I feel bad for those 2 people! :(

$200? :eek: It's just $200 and now two people are going to stay home from possibly the vacation of a lifetime? :eek:

I'm wondering if it was the $200...

I paid 5x that - and you're right - it was the vacation of a lifetime!

Best,

Mia

Seems odd. This amount does not seem as if it should be a dealbreaker. My motto is life is short; vacation when you can.

I agree - total insanity.

jsut saw posts regarding full fare for a 1 yr old..... is that really true? when i emailed my TA they never mentioned a cost for the 1 yr old.....

this may be the deciding factor on if they take her or not...

No, a 1 year old does not count as an "adult". A 1 year old counts as a passenger. It's not like flying where you can have a lap baby. Every single person onboard counts toward the maximum number of passengers allowed, which is non-negotiable. As well, the cruise lines factor in onboard and extra revenue when determining fares--which are incredibly affordable, IMO. It's unlikely a very young child is going to contribute to that bottom line, so most cruise lines usually charge regular fares for all ages.

I don't understand why you think your grandchild(?) should be free. I guess the TA didn't figure you'd assume that infants or children get a "free ride." If it's the case that they've decided it's too much for the cruise line to charge $200 for the child (who will use resources, sleep in a bed/crib, make messes, eat food, etc.) that's fine. It's completely their choice. But don't expect many of us, even parents, to feel like the cruise lines are trying to rip them off or agree that young children should cruise free. If they did that all the time, the rest of us would end up paying higher fares to make up the loss of revenue. I'm not at all unsympathetic to the challenges/costs of parenting, but I've raised (and paid for) my daughter, I don't want to pay for other people's children too. (For anyone who wonders, I do not feel that way when it comes to education or similar needs. We do not and would never complain about contributing to such important aspects of life and benefits to society. But helping pay for someone else to bring their child cruising? Not so much.)

Bottom line? When parents have a child, they accept the responsibility, including financial. We never assumed our daughter would be free or have a discount. If offered, you bet we took it; if not, we decided whether it was worth the cost at that time.

Oh brother.:rolleyes: My sympathy level is now even lower. Seriously, $200? We would have thought that was a steal. In fact, we'd think it a steal in the coming year when we'll likely take our now 2-1/2 year old granddaughter on her first cruise.

beachchick

My guess is that there was more to it than "just $200". The OP, in this thread or elsewhere, had inquired about babysitting and such amenities.

Sure, I would have loved for my kids to "only cost $200 each" when I took them, but it is supply and demand...and so I paid it (I think we paid @ 600 each). However, kudos to this family for knowing what they want and don't want - hopefully it was a cooperative solution. Maybe this OP cares for the grandchild all the time at home and she just wants a break? I know not everyone has the same take if it was your child/grandchild. I have a co-worker who has not gone on any vacations with her kids (one is 6 months younger than ours, who are now 3)...and she doesn't deem it a vacation if she's still having to do the same thing just in a different location and its costing them money. We have two grandmas and 2 aunts that go with us, but we take care of our kids 95% of the time (utilized RCCL inroom sitting some). We knew that we would rather stay on the ship at port and enjoy the view and the ship with no people. There are lots of things to explore.

To the OP, you mentioned that the TA didn't mention a cost for the baby...didn't you get an invoice or some type of statement emailed/mailed? My TA (and RCCL) usually sends one, and ANY time I've made a change (payment, promotion applied) I also ask for a new one to look for any errors. There you should see how much each individual is being charged.

Sorry your other family members had to cancel, cruising with one or more babies is not that hard or imposing depending on your tolerance level. Hope your cruise is everything you want it to be!

MY SIL is the same way. He has griped, complained, cursed about having to pay for his son to travel with them. It's an embarrassment to hear him make snide remarks constantly about how much a "kid" costs. I have no sympathy. I've paid his son's fare on almost every cruise, which he accepts without so much as a thank you, and he still complains. We've had to go back and add money to the tips he leaves on EVERY cruise. I love my Grandson too much to see him miss out on the trips, if you are wondering why we don't travel without Scrooge. My Grandson absolutely loves going on the cruises. He's 17 now, and started cruising at 4 so we've heard all his arguments...which amounts to "I'm the cheapest man on earth"...don't get me started.

I believe that Disney prorates the child's fare based on age up to a certain point, but is the only line where a child pays less based upon age in the absence of a "kids sail free" deal. Even with the "kids sail free," you pay port fees and taxes.

Disney has done "kids sail free" promotions in the past on select sailings. And, based on some recent quotes that I have gotten, Disney does charge a much reduced 3rd passenger fare for children under 3 . . . probably because they cannot participate in the popular kids programs at that age (which is part of the cruise fare) and instead have to use the nursery (which charges a separate hourly fee).

Archived