Just canceled 2 2011 and 1 2012 cruises and sold 5600 shares of CCL Stock SMOKING BAN

Synthetic

Considering the market conditions of the last two weeks...it seems as though you're using the same type of judgement on selling stocks as you do your health: Poor.

Unless you don't think CCL will reach the point it was at just a month ago in the next few months, you just threw away $40,000 - congrats!

I agree with the first post and dont blame him for cancelling his upcoming cruises,i am booked on the dream for april 2012 and if i hadnt booked a cove balcony then i would cancel mine as well ,and i will be seriously considering not to cruise again unless i can afford a balcony stateroom,i really think there will be alot of smokers doing the same,if theres one place we enjoy having a smoke its usually when we are relaxing in our room but thats been taken away now so i hope all you non smokers are happy,we pay alot of money to enjoy our holidays just like you but non smokers seem to think its all about what they want,what about what we want. maybe there should be a couple of ships that are completely smoke free and we can choose which one we would rather go on and see who makes more money,the non smoking 1 or the smokers and i bet its the smoking 1 cause i reckon that we buy more alcahol as well.

This is the most awesome announcement EVER!!!!! As legislation continues to ban smoking more and more, the answer is soon going to be--quit, which is MUCH better for your health, or move to a country more smoking friendly!

I am a non smoker and don't mind people who smoke. Unfortunately, the people who feel that they can smoke whenever and where ever they choose, no matter the rules in place, have made me glad for the legislation currently in place and that more and more places are being added every day. It seems to me that the considerate smokers are grossly outnumbered by those who are eat up in entitlement issues. It's a sad statement, but based on my experience, a true one.

To those who are "never going to cruise Carnival again"....well, as noted above in other posts, you might want to consider quitting or rethinking your vacationing habits (like pretty soon you may only be able to vacation in a cave), because more and more places are going to a non or limited smoking venue. Thank GOD!!!

I agree with the first post and dont blame him for cancelling his upcoming cruises,i am booked on the dream for april 2012 and if i hadnt booked a cove balcony then i would cancel mine as well ,and i will be seriously considering not to cruise again unless i can afford a balcony stateroom,i really think there will be alot of smokers doing the same,if theres one place we enjoy having a smoke its usually when we are relaxing in our room but thats been taken away now so i hope all you non smokers are happy,we pay alot of money to enjoy our holidays just like you but non smokers seem to think its all about what they want,what about what we want. maybe there should be a couple of ships that are completely smoke free and we can choose which one we would rather go on and see who makes more money,the non smoking 1 or the smokers and i bet its the smoking 1 cause i reckon that we buy more alcahol as well.

I'm a non-smoker, but I bet I could beat you in a drinking contest. ;)

I am trying to develop some sympathy for SYNTHETIC and the smoking situation. ........................... Still not working, so let's try again. ................................. I guess this is going to be harder than I thought. One more try! .................................. Nope! Still didn't happen. I guess I can't develop any sympathy. With that said, it's now on to my next Carnival cruise in March with less smoke in the air.

Considering the market conditions of the last two weeks...it seems as though you're using the same type of judgement on selling stocks as you do your health: Poor.

Unless you don't think CCL will reach the point it was at just a month ago in the next few months, you just threw away $40,000 - congrats!

I was thinking the same thing.

OP: I am so happy to hear that you did this. Maybe if enough people sell their stock the price will go down and I can buy some more. Hopefully the prices will also go down and I can book a couple of more cruises with Carnival, a company that really listens to the majority of its paying passangers.:D

Well go buy the 11000 shares I just sold today......Enjoy....I made my money off of it

A couple replies before logging:

1. To the person who commented on my selling now instead of waiting for the price from a month ago... a month ago today the stock was at $39/share. I am predicting this will signal a drop in the stock (it is a small-earning stock anyway and the only reason I bought was to get my nice OBC for being a shareholder). And yes, I trade many shares on a weekly basis so capital gains is not an issue for me.

2. To the people who keep jabbing about my 'addiction'. Thank you for knowing me so well that you assume an addiction. I do not smoke at all during the day (not even with coffee in the morning as I used to when I was in the military), but I do truly enjoy my cigarettes when drinking. There are times when I go days without either and no issue. When I am on vacation that is different. I refuse to smoke in my cabin, as I do not care for the lingering smell of smoke (ironic, eh?) but enjoy smoking in bars and the disco is fine, but the piano bar is one of my favs.

3. To the person who said "for my 1 cancellation, 10 booked", thank you for proving your total ignorance (that is, unless you are the passenger services director in Doral, FL). If that were the case, they'd not have converted Paradise to smoking. My main source of income is the alcohol business. I spend a great deal of money to keep my clubs in a 'private club' status every year so my patrons can smoke inside. I do not do this so I can smoke, I do it because SMOKERS SPEND WAY MORE ON DRINKS. PERIOD. If you like, I can provide you a link where you can buy the studies done that clearly prove that...

4. To the person that said my financial judgment is poor for selling now... hmmm... really? Let's look at how the stock performs in the next 2 months.

Well, oddly enough, my actions elicited almost the same reaction here as they did on John Heald's FB page. Allow me to explain my actions (since some of you deemed them 'extreme'):

1. My decision to sell my shares is based on the fact that they will go down once this circulates the markets. I find it funny that this became public just 2 days after the 2Q11 predictions of business being lower. I just wish they would have done this in January when the stock price was $48/share. This policy change is a BAD business decision and my decision to sell my stocks now is to save from losing even more money.

Not really extreme at all ! , they lowered the projection 2 days ago due to weak bookings in africa, japan and middel east.. the weak anti smoking policy announced today could be a precursor to a more strict policy.. I sold a bunch when it was high and was looking to buy when it hit 32.. under 35 today... Not extreme at all .. there money to made!:D

2. Canceling all 3 cruise (1 Carnival and 1 Seabourn in 2011 and another Carnival in 2012) is simply a matter of personal choice. Why should I spend roughly 1/4 of my personal income per year vacationing with a company that does not provide what I need to enjoy myself? I prefer a cigarette while being entertained after dinner. I did not make this decision lightly, as I am already Milestone with Carnival and will have to start from scratch with any other line.

I dont smoke in my cabin , I do on my balcony.. the only thing today that changes is the paino bar and cabins ( i think) , so for now i will continue to sail..

But its your money , and money is the strongest vote.. and everyone had the right to vote with their money

3. As you read this thread, pay special attention to the chalky personal attacks from people who do not share my opinion. I do enjoy the internet, as the anonymity here brings out the best and worst in some people...

Internet Muscles

For the record - there are at least 3 cruise lines that have liberal smoking policies... They can have my money...

should be a very interesting couple years.. very interesting...

I am THRILLED that smokers may be cancelling their cruises. Then I don't have to smell their stench outside either while I am trying to enjoy the fresh ocean air only to have smoke blowing in my face.

:D

Not all smokers are irrational and won't be cancelling:D

should be a very interesting couple years.. very interesting...

Agreed... Truthfully, I will say that I love cruising Carnival, but that had changed a little bit each year for about 6 years. We were able to get some of the other poor policies reversed (once the person who put them in place left), but this one sends a tone that I am not willing to support.

I am being informed of 2 ships that are for sail that simply need some updating... Hmmm... Perhaps my partners and me need to open our own cruise line... lol

I LOVE ridiculous overreactions. They haven't banned smoking, you can still smoke on your balcony, in areas of the open deck, and in a few lounges.

And as a non-smoker, who gets watery-eyed, and starts coughing up a lung when im around cigarette smoke, and who can't stand the smell of worn clothes that have been soaking in cigarette smoke for hours in a smoky piano bar, not to mention the lingering smoke smell in the cabin if the last occupant was a smoker. I am more than happy that they've reduced the number of places people can smoke.

People should still be able to do what they need to do on their balconies, on the open deck, and in the jazz/cigar lounges on board. If that's not good enough, well I'm sorry, but I'm tired of coughing up a lung half the night just because I wanted to go have some fun in the piano bar.

ALSO, Anyone who thinks this will negatively impact Carnival's business is, to be honest, out of their mind.

New York City and surrounding counties have banned smoking in restaurants and bars here for years, and the business has not diminished in the least. In fact, since then New York City has become one of the culinary/mixology capitals of America (not that it has anything to do with the lack of smoking), but just to say that it hasn't dried up business here, I don't see why it would on the high-seas.

A couple replies before logging:

3. To the person who said "for my 1 cancellation, 10 booked", thank you for proving your total ignorance (that is, unless you are the passenger services director in Doral, FL). If that were the case, they'd not have converted Paradise to smoking. My main source of income is the alcohol business. I spend a great deal of money to keep my clubs in a 'private club' status every year so my patrons can smoke inside. I do not do this so I can smoke, I do it because SMOKERS SPEND WAY MORE ON DRINKS. PERIOD. If you like, I can provide you a link where you can buy the studies done that clearly prove that...

People keep harping on the fact that the Paradise tanked....and that was HOW many years ago???? Legislation has changed the paradigm over the last decade....we are seeing smokers decrease in numbers now, instead of increase, probably for the first time ever. Many cruise lines already have this policy in place, Carnival is merely joining the ranks, it's not like it's anything new.

B*tch all you want...but here's the thing....airlines cut out smoking a number of years ago and yet, some how, people have adapted and are still flying. Many establishments have gone to non-smoking and yet I have not seen one headline on CNN that says something like, "Olive Garden (or similar large chain) out of business for banning smoking." Sorry. But your argument is not going to fly. Fight though they may, the smoking generation is being forced out by Gen X, Gen Y and beyond. People are much more educated to the health risks of smoking thanks to the internet and in time, the current smokers are going to die off and all of this will be moot.

And yes, I hope to God CCL stock tanks for a bit....why? Because then I can buy more. If you recall, a few years ago it was selling at $15-$16 a share (maybe less, I can't remember) when they had the "Swine Flu Fiasco" but it rebounded nicely (especially for those that bought at $15 or $20). So, yes, I hope it tanks for a bit, because I will buy up many shares and smile all the way to the bank when it rebounds. And it will. In addition, this will allow many people who would not otherwise be able to afford 100 shares get on board and enjoy not only the OBC but benefit from the rebound as well.

I usually don't stick up for MissDiva, but I have to here:

cancellingpresent participle of can·cel (Verb)

1. Decide or announce that (an arranged or planned event) will not take place.

2. Annul or revoke (a formal arrangement that is in effect).

Looks like you're wrong...heh.

No - you are wrong. "Cancelling" is the Britain English spelling, while "Canceling" is the US spelling. Do you use "humour" instead of "humor"?

No - you are wrong. "Cancelling" is the Britain English spelling, while "Canceling" is the US spelling. Do you use "humour" instead of "humor"?

No, but if what you say is true, both spellings are acceptable. Therefore, Diva is correct.

CC is a worldwide forum. What if Diva happens to be from Britain?

Interesting that the OP decides to focus on this, rather than respond to the 50 other people against him...

Archived