NCL Dawn Passenger Assaulted in Bermuda

I've always considered Bermuda the safest place to visit, but I guess that is not the case anymore. What a shame.

Bermuda IS one of the safest places to visit. There has ALWAYS been crime there, just like EVERYWHERE else (why do you think they have a police force, prison, and court system?).

It is a shame that a person on vacation became a victim of crime, but it does NOT suddenly change an entire destination from "safe" to "unsafe."

So sorry that happened to your wife. It is a hard thing to bounce back from.

If you don't mind my asking, when did the robbery take place and where in Bermuda? I've always considered Bermuda the safest place to visit, but I guess that is not the case anymore. What a shame.

Thanks for the post...It happened several years ago at Astwood Cove Park and 10 AM with people in the vicinity. Some punk kid thought it would be better to rob my wife for cash rather than cut his grandmothers lawn..

I have to say the police and the people of Bermuda could have not been kinder. Unfortunately she is still haunted by this event..

We still consider Bermuda a safe place but we have changed the way we do things...she is NEVER alone..

Was the fellow passsenger or Bermudian police black too? Was it really needed/mattered to only point out the race of the scumbag (being Black makes someone more dangerous or more of a scumbag?) but not everyone else? However this not the appropriate forum/thread to have that discussion. Be that as it may, unfortunately just as when at home, when on vacation trying to have fun, we still have to be wary. Crime is everywhere, but we can't let the fear of it rule us, but its is unwise to stick your hand in the sand and think since you are a tourist, you are untouchable.

You're kidding, right?

I provided a description of the assailant as a warning for travelers....just as the 3 black Bermudian police officers who interviewed the victim asked him precisely how dark was the assailant's skin. If I knew the assailant's exact height, weight and eye color I would have provided that too! The scum bag happened to be black....yes BLACK....I have no idea if his ancestry stems from Africa, and I doubt he's American....so the assailant was a BLACK MAN. Did you have a problem with me identifying him as being MALE?

The political correctness has gone WAY over the top.

News flash: skin color is now provided by the media when reporting crimes.

Was the fellow passsenger or Bermudian police black too? Was it really needed/mattered to only point out the race of the scumbag (being Black makes someone more dangerous or more of a scumbag?) but not everyone else? However this not the appropriate forum/thread to have that discussion. Be that as it may, unfortunately just as when at home, when on vacation trying to have fun, we still have to be wary. Crime is everywhere, but we can't let the fear of it rule us, but its is unwise to stick your hand in the sand and think since you are a tourist, you are untouchable.

Tanless, I understand you concern about focusing unnecessarily on race. However, the post was not racist in any way. Has PC made it wrong to indicated an assailant's race whatever it may be?

Tanless, I understand you concern about focusing unnecessarily on race. However, the post was not racist in any way. Has PC made it wrong to indicated an assailant's race whatever it may be?

Thanks, Papa.

It's hardly worth sharing vital info on here anymore. There's always someone waiting to pounce.

I appreciate the support.

Wow this information is very scary. Yes, this could happen anywhere, whether you are on a cruise, vacationing or in your home town.

I have yet to cruise to Bermuda and we are planning a trip there next year. I have always read that it is one of the safest places to go and that it is far from a "poor" country. :(

Now also reading about the passenger on the Spirit 2 years ago...we leave for the Spirit in 2 months. I always like to be informed about these situations. It just makes you more aware of anything could happen and to stay aware of your surroundings at all times.

Going to Bermuda for the first time in September on the Miracle, scary

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=Carnivalcruiselady&date=9-11-2011&text=Anniversary cruise&ship=Carnival Miracle

In my opinion and experience, Jamaica and the Bahamas 20 years ago were much more "scary" than Bermuda is today.

No, I'm not a travel agent and have no vested interest in Bermuda. The unfortunate truth is that crime exists everywhere. I think anyone that travels to tourist destinations ANYWHERE in the world has to be alert and aware of a criminal element.

That said, my experience in Bermuda last week was the same that it was three years ago - it remains one of the friendliest, cleanest, and most welcoming tourist destinations I've had the pleasure of visiting. I would go there again tomorrow!

You're kidding, right?

I provided a description of the assailant as a warning for travelers....just as the 3 black Bermudian police officers who interviewed the victim asked him precisely how dark was the assailant's skin. If I knew the assailant's exact height, weight and eye color I would have provided that too! The scum bag happened to be black....yes BLACK....I have no idea if his ancestry stems from Africa, and I doubt he's American....so the assailant was a BLACK MAN. Did you have a problem with me identifying him as being MALE?

The political correctness has gone WAY over the top.

Actually I agree with Tanless 100% and thought exactly the same thing. You not only described the assaliants skin colour but went on to say that there has been a recent influx of immigrants to Bermuda from the Carribbean. I'm assuming that wasn't racist either.

Actually I agree with Tanless 100% and thought exactly the same thing. You not only described the assaliants skin colour but went on to say that there has been a recent influx of immigrants to Bermuda from the Carribbean. I'm assuming that wasn't racist either.

It wasn't... I believe the point the Op was trying to make is that the Caribbean islands have a lot more crime (and they do)...Drugs have always been an issue in the Caribbean (Bermuda, not so much before) and now the people from the Caribbean have moved their drug business into Bermuda.

This has nothing to do with race....country of origin, yes.

Please don't make an issue out of the O's post...

Was the fellow passsenger or Bermudian police black too? Was it really needed/mattered to only point out the race of the scumbag (being Black makes someone more dangerous or more of a scumbag?) but not everyone else?.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the original post ... Why it was necessary to point out the criminal's race eluded me.

You're kidding, right?

I provided a description of the assailant as a warning for travelers....just as the 3 black Bermudian police officers who interviewed the victim asked him precisely how dark was the assailant's skin. If I knew the assailant's exact height, weight and eye color I would have provided that too! The scum bag happened to be black....

A couple comments as a black female ... First, saying the assailant was "black" is hardly sufficient to warn anyone, unless there are no other black men on the island. Secondly, and perhaps you haven't noticed, but skin color has been provided by the media for a long time now, when it comes to black criminals. They identified "black" long before they identified "white."

So, yes, pointing out his race is a bit offensive to me. Not a lot but a bit -- about at the same level of offense I feel when I see beige-colored pantyhose labeled as "nude."

So sorry to hear about your friend but glad that he's all right. Fighting back is not always the safest thing to do but glad it worked out in this case. Thanks for sharing. We all need to be reminded that this can happen.

Crime does happen anywhere and everywhere. As tourists the bad guys know that you are only there for a few hours/days and that you usually have cash on you. DS was assaulted by 2 guys in Southampton, England simply because he was American. He knows this because they told him so as they were beating him up.

Where-ever you are pay attention, trust your instincts, stay with a group of people or if traveling alone be near a group of people. Try to know where you are going to before heading out the door. If you are lost, don't look it - act like you own the place as you look for a safe place to ask directions. This advice might not stop you from getting robbed/assaulted but I hope it does!

I am not surprised that some people may take offense to the mention of skin color, as often happens whenever that is brought into a discussion - and I understand that concern. However, I believe the intent was to provide a well detailed description of the assailant, where it happened, when it happened, and to whom it happened. I appreciate that it went to that level of detail because it helps me understand that I always need to keep my guard up no matter what country I'm in. It surprised me to see that it happened during broad daylight in a well traveled path. Part of keeping my guard up means never walking alone - and I'm not sure I would have felt as strongly about that until I read this post. I've never been to Bermuda, but most of what I've read up until now discussed how friendly and comparatively safe Bermuda is. If it weren't for information like this posted, one might have a false sense of security. It would never stop me from enjoying my planned trip, but just to make sure I treat Bermuda as I would any other vacation destination. :)

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Having worked and traveled in NYC for many years, no matter where we travel, I always take my "NYC spidey instincts" with me. We have been traveling to Bermuda since 1992 at least once or twice a year. As with all the places you travel to, even though it looks like paradise, it isn't. You could be in the safest place in the world, but all it takes is meeting the wrong person. We only had one incident in Bermuda in all the years we've been traveling there. A young man was following us for quite a while. I, to my DH horror, turned around and gave him a NYC attitude and speech (cannot be repeated here!) The young man stared at me and turned around. The problem right now in Bermuda is the same as everywhere else, the economy. Everyone is hurting and people get desparate. I will still keep sailing to Bermuda and keep my eyes open. Bermuda takes any kind of crime very seriously, since this could impact on one of their best industries.

As a black man myself, I'm not a bit offended by the O.P.'s description. I'm guessing that most of the offended parties are non-blacks trying to be P.C. I'm thinking that the O.P. was warning folks that a Bermudian male criminal has been alluding police and that visitors should be on the lookout for someone fitting his description in that area. If I were visiting Bermuda alone, this post would cause me to be suspicious of such a native, especially if the native was looking around as he approached.

Cruise Willy, you noted the passenger was walking alone. Although I understand there are passengers that travel alone, one should make every effort to move around with other folks in the vicinity. If one is truly isolated and appears to be alone, one would not have to travel to Bermuda to be accosted by another person. We were in Bermuda the week before you and never encountered any issues in that area, but we made sure that 2 of us were always together. Bermuda is so much safer than other ports. We must always be aware of our surroundings. Hope all turned out ok for the victim...

Then you know the route. There were PLENTY of people around the victim, just none WITH him.

Please understand....I am very well traveled, and have been aware of many many similar attacks on other islands such as St. Thomas, Jamaica, Nassau and Barbados. I've personally witnessed tourists being robbed in Rome...SEVERAL TIMES!!!! I've never found the need to post such reports on here though. I think most people are aware of the dangers in such ports and cities. As frequent as my visits are to Bermuda, and as familiar as I thought I was with the island, I was totally shocked by such an incident on what my family has always thought to be the safest island. I remember thinking that Grand Cayman was similarly free from such criminal behavior, but have seen a similar change in demographic in the Caymans over the past 20 years. As I spoke extensively to the recent Bermuda victim, I vowed to make the incident as well publicized as I possibly could. The government will try to keep such incidents under wraps. Such behavior against tourists could really be a threat to their economy. The honest and law abiding Bermudians know this and will do everything in their power to prevent this type of behavior IF THEY'RE MADE AWARE OF IT!!!!!! We need to make some noise, not only to warn future cruisers, but to let the government know that we're aware and concerned. We need to make the police do their jobs and influence the courts to make stiff penalties for such attacks.

I'm amazed at the number of responses to my posting letting me know that crime is everywhere, like I didn't know that. Bermudians read our posts. Especially those in the Bermuda forum where I also posted a report. There's really no point in telling people that crime is everywhere. Folks know that crime is everywhere. Many of us are very surprised to hear of such events in Bermuda though, especially during the day.

Then you know the route. There were PLENTY of people around the victim, just none WITH him.

Please understand....I am very well traveled, and have been aware of many many similar attacks on other islands such as St. Thomas, Jamaica, Nassau and Barbados. I've personally witnessed tourists being robbed in Rome...SEVERAL TIMES!!!! I've never found the need to post such reports on here though. I think most people are aware of the dangers in such ports and cities. As frequent as my visits are to Bermuda, and as familiar as I thought I was with the island, I was totally shocked by such an incident on what my family has always thought to be the safest island. I remember thinking that Grand Cayman was similarly free from such criminal behavior, but have seen a similar change in demographic in the Caymans over the past 20 years. As I spoke extensively to the recent Bermuda victim, I vowed to make the incident as well publicized as I possibly could. The government will try to keep such incidents under wraps. Such behavior against tourists could really be a threat to their economy. The honest and law abiding Bermudians know this and will do everything in their power to prevent this type of behavior IF THEY'RE MADE AWARE OF IT!!!!!! We need to make some noise, not only to warn future cruisers, but to let the government know that we're aware and concerned. We need to make the police do their jobs and influence the courts to make stiff penalties for such attacks.

I'm amazed at the number of responses to my posting letting me know that crime is everywhere, like I didn't know that. Bermudians read our posts. Especially those in the Bermuda forum where I also posted a report. There's really no point in telling people that crime is everywhere. Folks know that crime is everywhere. Many of us are very surprised to hear of such events in Bermuda though, especially during the day.

Cruiser willy, of the posts that amazed you stating there is crime everywhere, did not say you shouldn’t have posted this.

I think what they are saying is that they were not as “shocked” or “surprised” by the incident as you were. I fall into this same category, this neither shocks nor alarms me since as them I don’t think there is anywhere that is crime free. I never travel anywhere without my 6th sense turned on.

If you want to make noise go for it. I actually think your post made a more important statement to those, that obviously by some posts, let their guard down in what they consider to be a “safer” port. When we were at a resort in Cartegena Columbia we watched the locals take take down a purse thief (yes on the middle of a crowded beach). They handled it before the local security, police and army had a chance to react. So I’d say don’t underestimate those law abiding Bermudians that depend on tourism and I believe they know more than you are giving them credit for. Small areas word travels quickly.

This certainly doesn’t change the fact that Bermuda is one of the safer ports, if you compare it to some others. But regardless, to those who think this is “scary” don’t be scared just be a wise traveler and never believe you cannot be a victim no matter where you are standing or walking.

The funny thing is that people are told that if they witness a crime to try and remember every detail.

So let's take any detail out of a report that might be considered ist.

"I saw a person hit someone."

Or how about a real world description:

"I saw the man hit a lady, he was a black man about 6' 2", he had shoulder length hair, he has on pink shorts and a white halter top with a pink bra showing underneath it. He walked with a real bad limp. I remember hearing him yell something in Russian as he was hitting her.

Me, I will always say the race of criminal, just as I will say the apparent sex.

Always be on your guard anywhere you travel.

Very well said!

It's nice to think I'm not TOTALLY wasting my time!

You're not. I fully appreciate your feedback since I've never been to Bermuda. I live near and often visit NYC and totally know to know your surroundings, however sometimes when in "vacation mode" it's easy to let your guard down. Thanks CW for sharing.

Archived