Newark hotels

beachlady60

Going on the Gem to Bermuda in Sept. Did a search for hotels but there were no recent posts. Can anyone recommend a hotel? Thanks

Are you flying to Newark and then cruising out of NYC?

If so, why not stay in NYC and see some sights? And be much closer to the pier the next morning.

I'm flying out of Newark this week and used Wyndam Hotel as a park and fly. I'll spend the night there and can leave a car up to 2-weeks. My cost for 4 adults, one room, and to leave my car for 8 day was less than $100.00

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/EWRAP/main.wnt

Thanks for the suggestion. Let me know how you liked it when you get back.Would like to know about the shuttle and how far is it to Penn Station.

You're sailing on the Gem on 9/18. You're flying into Newark on 9/17 and need a hotel. How are you going to NY? You mentioned Penn Station, so I'm assuming you are going to take the train to NY and then a cab to the pier on 9/18. Is that correct?

We are flying into Newark 9/17.Should get there about 1:30 p.m. Thought we could take the Penn train into New York for the evening. Never been to New York and don't know that much about the train.I read where we can take a cab to penn station and the train into ny without any changes. Or would it be better to get a hotel in ny on 9/17? On 9/18 we thinking about using the Supershuttle to get to the pier. Several have suggested that. Any ideas would be appeciated.

Your most cost effective choice for 9/17 will be to stay in Newark. That is fashion week in NYC and the hotel prices are at their very highest. My suggestions would be:

1) kayak.com - Newark Penn Station Hilton for $145 inc. tax. This is the hotel located across from the train station in downtown Newark. It has an airport shuttle and has the best location for going into Manhattan.

2) hotwire - 3* Newark airport hotel for $65 + tax (about $80) - this is likely to be the Sheraton. Take a cab to Newark Penn Station (about $25) and the train to NY. Less expensive but more travel.

There are other airport hotels available (Newark Hilton for $95), but when you add in the additional costs and hassle to get to NY, they are a similar price to the Newark Penn Station Hilton. From a Newark Airport hotel you can take the train from Newark Airport Station for $12.50/pp each way, but you have to take a hotel shuttle back to the airport, the monorail out to the train station, and then the train itself.

To get to the pier you could check out supershuttle. You can also take the train again into NY Penn Station and a cab to the port.

You asked on another thread about PATH. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html It's essentially a NJ subway that goes to midtown or downtown NY for $1.75. It also leaves from Newark Penn Station. If you are going to downtown Manhattan to the World Trade Center area, it's your best choice from Newark. However, if you're going to midtown on a Saturday, you have to go to Journal Square and transfer across the platform to the 33rd St. train, which goes to 33rd & 6th (Herald Square-Macy's) via Hoboken and takes about 45 minutes.

Your most cost effective choice for 9/17 will be to stay in Newark. That is fashion week in NYC and the hotel prices are at their very highest. My suggestions would be:

1) kayak.com - Newark Penn Station Hilton for $145 inc. tax. This is the hotel located across from the train station in downtown Newark. It has an airport shuttle and has the best location for going into Manhattan.

2) hotwire - 3* Newark airport hotel for $65 + tax (about $80) - this is likely to be the Sheraton. Take a cab to Newark Penn Station (about $25) and the train to NY. Less expensive but more travel.

There are other airport hotels available (Newark Hilton for $95), but when you add in the additional costs and hassle to get to NY, they are a similar price to the Newark Penn Station Hilton. From a Newark Airport hotel you can take the train from Newark Airport Station for $12.50/pp each way, but you have to take a hotel shuttle back to the airport, the monorail out to the train station, and then the train itself.

To get to the pier you could check out supershuttle. You can also take the train again into NY Penn Station and a cab to the port.

You asked on another thread about PATH. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html It's essentially a NJ subway that goes to midtown or downtown NY for $1.75. It also leaves from Newark Penn Station. If you are going to downtown Manhattan to the World Trade Center area, it's your best choice from Newark. However, if you're going to midtown on a Saturday, you have to go to Journal Square and transfer across the platform to the 33rd St. train, which goes to 33rd & 6th (Herald Square-Macy's) via Hoboken and takes about 45 minutes.

138 east Thank you for all your help. I will check them out. I had looked at Springhill suites by Marriot Newark by airport,Fairfield Inn and Suites,Wyndham Garden near airport. Would any of these be ok? Now we had decided to stay 2 days after the cruise. 9/25&9/26 so we can see more of ny. I looked at Holiday Inn express and Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island. Also the Hyatt or Westin Hoboken/Jersey City. would any of these be good? I am going tomorrow to AAA to get a map and travel book so then I can see where all these places are.

I would not stay on Staten Island - too inconvenient for running in and out of Manhattan. I've stayed at the Fairfield and would recommend it. Springhill Suites is next door - it's a little pricier but it looks nice as well. I'm not familiar with Wyndham Gardens - Meg is not a big fan of it.

For 9/25-26 I'm seeing a 3* Newark Airport hotel on Hotwire for $65 that is likely to be the Sheraton. I've also stayed there and would recommend it. There is also the 4* Jersey City hotel for $140 that is likely to be the Westin or Hyatt. If you buy on Hotwire, you can spend a little extra money to insure your stay.

If you get off the ship on the 25th, you probably want to check your luggage at Schwartz Travel for the day. Can you manage your luggage? If so, you can take the Newark Airport bus from Port Authority and the shuttle to your hotel or take Path from 33rd St. to Jersey City. From Jersey City you can take Path to Newark and a cab to the airport.

The Fairfield and Springhill Suites offer free breakfast, but don't have a restaurant - you'd have to walk next door to the Courtyard. Better yet, eat dinner in NY before you return to Newark. The Sheraton does have a restaurant but no free breakfast. Same with the Westin and Hyatt.

138 east Thank you for all your help. I will check them out. I had looked at Springhill suites by Marriot Newark by airport,Fairfield Inn and Suites,Wyndham Garden near airport. Would any of these be ok? Now we had decided to stay 2 days after the cruise. 9/25&9/26 so we can see more of ny. I looked at Holiday Inn express and Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island. Also the Hyatt or Westin Hoboken/Jersey City. would any of these be good? I am going tomorrow to AAA to get a map and travel book so then I can see where all these places are.

Avoid the Springhill Suites, I stayed there for a night back in February, and the place was filthy and very noisy all night with people coming and going in the halls.

The airport Marriott is by far the best of them. Unfortunately it's also one of the most expensive.

The only Jersey City hotel I've stayed at was the Hyatt, it was very nice and the views across the Hudson were stunning--I had an upper floor room. I'm sure the Westin would be equally nice and wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

Otherwise it's like picking the best of the worst.

• 2 weeks later...
Beware the Newark Airport Hilton, there have been multiple bedbug reports on that property.

How did you find out about that ... we were looking at that location but now will look elsewhere ... how can I find out about the other hotels in the area re: that issue ...

Thanks

If you are trying to see Manhattan, stay in Manhattan. For a first timer, it is worth the extra money.

I don't think the Hyatt Jersey City or the Westin is going to be that much cheaper than Manhattan hotels for your peak season time frame.

How did you find out about that ... we were looking at that location but now will look elsewhere ... how can I find out about the other hotels in the area re: that issue ...

Thanks

Google bed bug report and several sites will come up.

I saw the bedbugs at the Hilton with my own eyes, checked out and never went back. That was about three years ago, but you couldn't pay me to step foot in there again. It was dirty and had poor service and to be honest, I'm surprised Hilton let's them continue using the name.

Also beware the Hilton by the airport in Tampa, they'll bait and switch your room and even if you book non-smoking, if they are out of them they'll try to force you into a smoking room. It's one of the reasons I'm platinum with Marriott and only gold with Hilton, unless it's a completely non-smoking property I don't take the chance with Hilton. I've been burned too many times.

Hotwire is showing the Westin for $152. I haven't been able to find a nice(4*-3.5*) hotel for that price in NY. Don't know what hotels are good to stay at in NY and would be less than the Westin. Open for suggestions.

That would be either the Hyatt or the Westin - the Hyatt shows up more frequently. It's a good price, particularly since it's a Sun and Mon night which are business travel nights. I'm not seeing anything in Manhattan that would be attractive pricewise and certainly not any 4* hotel. There are lots of places in Manhattan you could stay that would be less convenient than Jersey City. Post back and let us know.

I know the PATH is right outside of the Hyatt. How far is the PATH from the Westin? Is it a safe area to walk from at night?I understand the views from the Hudson are great. How are the views from the Westin? The price of $152 is on Hotwire so it could be either hotel. Didn't know if I should bid on Priceline or not. Other hotels in NY would be less convenient than Jersy??

I know the PATH is right outside of the Hyatt. How far is the PATH from the Westin? It's about a block away at the Newport Path stop

Is it a safe area to walk from at night? Yes

I understand the views from the Hudson are great. How are the views from the Westin? The views are similar. Your room may not have a view but there should be views from the property.

The price of $152 is on Hotwire so it could be either hotel. Didn't know if I should bid on Priceline or not. I can't answer about Priceline. I always look at Hotwire because they show the hotel amenities and it is easier to identify the possible hotels plus they now offer an option to insure your trip.

Other hotels in NY would be less convenient than Jersy?? My point is that Manhattan is very large and no hotel is in the perfect location - you will always have to travel to get some places you want to see. There are hotels in NY on the Upper West and East sides and downtown that are less convenient to subways. They might be closer to your destination, but it could take you longer to get there from within NYC than it would from NJ.

You really need to do your homework to understand how Path works and how it interacts with the NY subway system. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html If you get the Hyatt the ride from Exchange Place to World Trade is 3 minutes. From WTC you can pick up a subway to take you almost anywhere in Manhattan http://www.onnyturf.com/subway/ You can also take Path the other way 1 stop to Grove St. and change for the Path train that goes to 33rd & 6th (Herald Square - Macy's). You also need to know how the Sunday schedule works - Path only runs the Newark-WTC route and the uptown route is rescheduled as Journal Square-Hoboken-33rd St. If you're not going someplace near 33rd & 6th, it will probably be faster to go to WTC and find the exact subway line you need.

What are you planning to do in NY? Are you going to check your luggage when you disembark or are you going directly to the hotel?

Archived