passenger behind won't let you recline

jlkc

However that passenger can also slam their seat back into your knees--repeatedly.
You've got to be kidding me. Are you three? Four? Especially with your comment about purposing spilling somebody's food.

You aren't any more entitled to the space behind your seat as the person sitting behind you has a right to put his/her knees there. Yes, your seat *can* decline. And, yes, they *can* put their knees there.

You don't get to have a fit and slam your seat into your knees. And, no, they don't get to kick the back of your seat. You don't get to spill their food. And they don't get to dump water on your head.

Sheesh.

If you can't work it out between you, call the FA for help.

You've got to be kidding me. Are you three? Four? Especially with your comment about purposing spilling somebody's food.

You aren't any more entitled to the space behind your seat as the person sitting behind you has a right to put his/her knees there. Yes, your seat *can* decline. And, yes, they *can* put their knees there.

You don't get to have a fit and slam your seat into your knees. And, no, they don't get to kick the back of your seat. You don't get to spill their food. And they don't get to dump water on your head.

Sheesh.

If you can't work it out between you, call the FA for help.

And you can't read. I didn't say I would slam my seat back, I said it could be done. That said, if someone was being a total jerk to me, I wouldn't have a problem making his mealtime difficult. Big difference doing that and actually injuring him. And if they dumped a water over the seat onto my head they'd find themselves meeting the police for battery on the other end of the flight. Yes, seriously.

And you can't read. I didn't say I would slam my seat back,

I guess I got the wrong impression when you posted

They aren't too hard to slam backwards, and if someone behind me decides to be a jerk about it, it will be when they've got their meal on their tray.

or maybe when you posted

As I said, I try to be polite within reason, and someone who is being an ass about it is going to get his kneecaps bruised or broken.

That said, if someone was being a total jerk to me, I wouldn't have a problem making his mealtime difficult.

As as said, are you three? Sounds very childish. Or to put it another way:

It's absolutely rude--not to mention childish--to purposely disturb other passengers just because you can't get your way.

I guess I got the wrong impression when you posted

or maybe when you posted

As as said, are you three? Sounds very childish. Or to put it another way:

Nice job taking things out of context.

And by the way, the difference is that the airline will AWAYS side with the passenger who wishes to recline. So yes, if I wished to recline to sleep, I would get my way.

Nice job taking things out of context.

If you are saying you wouldn't slam your seat back into someone, if you are saying you wouldn't do it when they've got their meal on their tray, if you are saying you wouldn't bruse somebody's kneecaps, if you are saying you wouldn't break somebody's kneecaps, if you are saying you wouldn't make somebody's meal time difficult... then we are all in agreement on the proper way to behaive.

If you are saying you wouldn't slam your seat back into someone, if you are saying you wouldn't do it when they've got their meal on their tray, if you are saying you wouldn't bruse somebody's kneecaps, if you are saying you wouldn't break somebody's kneecaps, if you are saying you wouldn't make somebody's meal time difficult... then we are all in agreement on the proper way to behaive.

I wouldn't under normal circumstances slam my seat back. I don't even recline on most flights unless it's very early or very late when most people are sleeping anyhow. I don't recline during meals. I give a warning if I know the person behind me is working on their laptop. I do try to be considerate.

But if the person behind me is purposely trying to be an ignorant ass and repeatedly kicks the seat--especially if it was upright to begin with, slams the tray table up and down repeatedly, or does something else along those lines just to annoy me just because they were having a bad day, I've got no problem making their day worse.

And if it's 11:00 pm, I'm going to put my seat back to sleep, and that's the way it's going to be. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I guess I need to bow out of this coveration, as I can't follow the bouncing ball of you saying you would slam your seat back into someone, and your saying you didn't say that. So lets just agree that

It's absolutely rude--not to mention childish--to purposely disturb other passengers just because you can't get your way.

I'm curious about what some provide as a valid workaround to this issue....

Many are claiming that aisle seats have more legroom. I'm not really sure I buy this logic.

Yes, you can keep 1 leg out, but most people have 2 legs. Then there's the fact that there are constantly stewards pushing the cart up and down this same "extra legroom" and the fact that passengers are using this space to go to the restroom or stretch their legs.

So I'm just wondering, those that say that tall people should just buy the aisles, how does that really help matters?

The other question is, how long will it be before airlines catch on to THIS issue and start charging passengers who are taller for 2 seats just as they charge obese passengers for 2?? One is a choice more than the other, but the end issue is the same, space is taken "unfairly".

Personally, I'm 5'4" and feel very cramped in my window seat. I can't even imagine how taller folks feel. What the airlines do to cram us all in there is truly a shame, plus the fact that the number of flights has dropped dramatically forcing sellouts and forcing even greater discomfort (since people then can't try to move to accomodate others).

I wish I didn't like visiting the Mediterranean so much, as I do truly hate the whole flying thing. I'm on a normal persons budget and can't afford to pay double for a seat in first class when my coach seat is already 1400 bucks.

Oh and don't even get me started on the fact that these airlines are no longer even giving you a snack on a transatlantic flight, unless of course you want to pay for it. I'm hearing this is the norm now on many carriers, and I'm very much NOT looking forward to my flights this coming October.

I'm curious about what some provide as a valid workaround to this issue....

Many are claiming that aisle seats have more legroom. I'm not really sure I buy this logic.

Yes, you can keep 1 leg out, but most people have 2 legs. Then there's the fact that there are constantly stewards pushing the cart up and down this same "extra legroom" and the fact that passengers are using this space to go to the restroom or stretch their legs.

I manage to stretch them both out. Beverage service is generally only done once, maybe twice on the average flight. On flights that are over 3.5 to 4 hours you might also have a meal service. So maybe a total of five minutes out of each flight you have a cart adjacent to your seat.

So I'm just wondering, those that say that tall people should just buy the aisles, how does that really help matters?

I see a lot of men stick one leg out into the aidle and cross it with the other, sitting slightly ajar in their seat.

The other question is, how long will it be before airlines catch on to THIS issue and start charging passengers who are taller for 2 seats just as they charge obese passengers for 2?? One is a choice more than the other, but the end issue is the same, space is taken "unfairly".

As long as they can sit in their seat without interfering with others (including those trying to recline) it won't be a seat. Not all obese passengers ahve to buy a second seat. I have an obese friend who carries all of her weight in her chest and belly. She can easily put her armrest down and doesn't spill into the seat next to her, but needs a seatbelt extender. No one has ever said a word to her about buying a second seat, even on Southwest.

Personally, I'm 5'4" and feel very cramped in my window seat. I can't even imagine how taller folks feel. What the airlines do to cram us all in there is truly a shame, plus the fact that the number of flights has dropped dramatically forcing sellouts and forcing even greater discomfort (since people then can't try to move to accomodate others).

The only solution to getting more room on planes is to pay higher fares. I can hear the howling from the hills already.

I wish I didn't like visiting the Mediterranean so much, as I do truly hate the whole flying thing. I'm on a normal persons budget and can't afford to pay double for a seat in first class when my coach seat is already 1400 bucks.

Oh and don't even get me started on the fact that these airlines are no longer even giving you a snack on a transatlantic flight, unless of course you want to pay for it. I'm hearing this is the norm now on many carriers, and I'm very much NOT looking forward to my flights this coming October.

I always fly F/C on long hauls, and even in F/C often bring my own meal. Most airline food is pretty disgusting anyhow. I don't know of any legacy carriers that aren't at least supplying a small meal on a transatlantic to coach, most likely some of the no frills carriers aren't, but then in that case you are getting what you pay for.

I always fly F/C on long hauls, and even in F/C often bring my own meal. Most airline food is pretty disgusting anyhow. I don't know of any legacy carriers that aren't at least supplying a small meal on a transatlantic to coach, most likely some of the no frills carriers aren't, but then in that case you are getting what you pay for.

I booked via Continental, however due to the whole "star alliance" bs, I'm not getting a single continental flight now that all is said and done. I'm on some shuttle airline (united express i think?) then air canada for the long haul, then 2 legs home I'm on lufthansa. I'm pretty sure air canada makes you purchase food.

When I took continental the past 2 years for the long haul, I was given both dinner and breakfast in coach. It's really sad that a year has done away with that. But, this is off topic lol. I'm not sure that "you get what you pay for" really applies. If this is what I get for 1400 bucks a ticket, what is a person paying less than 1k getting? Scary times we live in, honestly. My airfare literally costs more than my entire 10 day cruise. There's something very wrong with that, in my opinion. And I'll have far more space to take up on a cruise than i will that airplane lol. Plus food.

I booked via Continental, however due to the whole "star alliance" bs, I'm not getting a single continental flight now that all is said and done. I'm on some shuttle airline (united express i think?) then air canada for the long haul, then 2 legs home I'm on lufthansa. I'm pretty sure air canada makes you purchase food.

As long as your Air Canada flight is out of Canada you'll get a full meal.

As long as your Air Canada flight is out of Canada you'll get a full meal.

It is. We take a flight from newark to montreal (united express) then montreal to rome (air canada). The reservation says no meal for all our flights...wonder why the reservations lie then.

It is. We take a flight from newark to montreal (united express) then montreal to rome (air canada). The reservation says no meal for all our flights...wonder why the reservations lie then.

AC TA flights usually have complimentary beverage service (including alcohol), supper then a continental breakfast just before landing. I just tried a dummy booking for the YUL-FCO flight and that's what's indicated.

I'm on a normal persons budget and can't afford to pay double for a seat in first class when my coach seat is already 1400 bucks.

Guess you never checked the price of business or first class across the Atlantic. Generally it costs WAY more than double the cheapest coach class seat.

I know of no airline that charges for food in coach class across the Atlantic. Alcohol maybe, but not food. Which route and date are you flying and someone can verify this. My guess is that the United Express flight is the one with no food. Also, you can book any airline you choose to book. If you choose Air Canada and Lufthansa and United due to cost or connections or whatever, fine. But I am not aware of any airline forcing me to buy a ticket using airlines or connections I don't want.

When I took continental the past 2 years for the long haul, I was given both dinner and breakfast in coach. It's really sad that a year has done away with that. But, this is off topic lol. I'm not sure that "you get what you pay for" really applies. If this is what I get for 1400 bucks a ticket, what is a person paying less than 1k getting? Scary times we live in, honestly. My airfare literally costs more than my entire 10 day cruise. There's something very wrong with that, in my opinion. And I'll have far more space to take up on a cruise than i will that airplane lol. Plus food.

Sorry you are disappointed with your flights. We have had good experiences on Air Canada, Lufthansa, and United. Lufthansa still gives wine in coach.

Btw, our worst international flight was on Continental.

Some of your opinions are really stupid.If i like you pay for a seat,then i am entitled to do what ever the function of that seat is .If you don't fit in you seat behind me then take it up with the airline that you purchased the ticket from.You did not purchase the space in front of your seat,only under it, for your carryon to fit in.

We were on a plane for a 5 hour flight with 3 seats across on an older plane. We were in the second row, window and middle seats. There was very little room between rows. The lady in front of me decided to recline her seat before departure. I am only 5"2" and average size. When I put the tray down, the tray touched my stomach with no space, I could not breath. I asked the lady if she would move her seat up, her reply was "I paid for my seat, I can do what I want". Both my husband and myself, asked again and again the same answer from her and her husband. She then called for the flight attendant and complainted about me. The attendant suggested we moved back a few rows. I was glad it was not a full plane as I like to have the tray down for the whole flight.

Funny that this happened, as the tray doesn't recline with the seat, it is always a fixed distance.:confused:

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html?s

These gadgets are banned on most airlines, by the way.

If you are 5'2" and can't breathe with the tray down, you are considering yourself an average size what?:confused:

Funny that this happened, as the tray doesn't recline with the seat, it is always a fixed distance.:confused:

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html?s

These gadgets are banned on most airlines, by the way.

If you are 5'2" and can't breathe with the tray down, you are considering yourself an average size what?:confused:

I agree, I have never seen a tray move when the person in front reclines their seat. If the tray touches your stomach when the person in front of you is reclined, it is also going to touch your stomach when they are not. ;)

Some of your opinions are really stupid.If i like you pay for a seat,then i am entitled to do what ever the function of that seat is .If you don't fit in you seat behind me then take it up with the airline that you purchased the ticket from.You did not purchase the space in front of your seat,only under it, for your carryon to fit in.

So, you would break the legs (or attempt to) of the big/tall guy behind you? I could not recline my seat because his knees were in the way.

On our flight the aircraft was full and there was no place to move.

So, you would break the legs (or attempt to) of the big/tall guy behind you? I could not recline my seat because his knees were in the way.

On our flight the aircraft was full and there was no place to move.

He should have adjusted himself in his seat so his knees were angled. I've heard FA's tell people to do just that when the passenger in front of them wanted to recline.

I see it as no different than a POS, buy the seat you'll fit into, including putting down the armrest and/or with the seat in front of you reclining.

I agree, I have never seen a tray move when the person in front reclines their seat. If the tray touches your stomach when the person in front of you is reclined, it is also going to touch your stomach when they are not. ;)

I'm also just about 5'2" and have never had an issue with a tray table coming close to my stomach when the seat in front is reclined. I'm not saying that it never happens but it hasn't happened to me.

I'm also just about 5'2" and have never had an issue with a tray table coming close to my stomach when the seat in front is reclined. I'm not saying that it never happens but it hasn't happened to me.

Add to that the tray tables have sliders so you can bring it closer or put it further away, unless someone is overweight, it's not going to touch.

• 4 weeks later...

What you will see most airlines doing in the future (some have started already), especially as they try to fit more seats on, will be switching to seats where "reclining" pushes the bottom of your seat forward instead of leaning you back, taking up your own legroom rather than that of the passenger behind you.

Archived