Upgrade question/help

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, our full names and dates of birth were taken with the original booking.

We didn't ask for the cheapest room for 3, we'd actually upgraded from an inside and my OH now seems to recall the TA confiming with the RCL operator that the room we had chosen had a sofa bed while we were there! So really don't know where this has gone wrong for us!

It's really frustrating and is beginning to ruin the build up to our holiday now.

We're going to go in tomorrow and see what happens.

Can you send OH up to sleep on the pullman....and let mom have the other twin? That's probably what we would do, since neither my mom or me are climbers. :)

We will see what the set up is like when we get there but OH and I will probably take turns in the pullman. Its just so frustrating to have spent so much money, if we wanted bunk beds we would have booked a youth hostel!!

Anyway, trying to be less upset now, we have a week away without kids and this is the last holiday we can have with MiL before the alzeimers takes full hold so we are going to enjoy it!

xx

We will see what the set up is like when we get there but OH and I will probably take turns in the pullman. Its just so frustrating to have spent so much money, if we wanted bunk beds we would have booked a youth hostel!!

Anyway, trying to be less upset now, we have a week away without kids and this is the last holiday we can have with MiL before the alzeimers takes full hold so we are going to enjoy it!

xx

I don't know if there will be enough wall space but you could ask for a roll away, that would certainly help, ask your TA to request one.

I don't know if there will be enough wall space but you could ask for a roll away, that would certainly help, ask your TA to request one.

There is definitely not enough space in an E1 for a rollaway bed.

I am using a UK TA and the birthdates are required on the booking form I submit.

Just saying that when a TA (in the US at least) calls in a new booking they are not required to give anything more than a age range as I wrote previously. If your ta wants to know your birth dates, then fine. Just another thing that could be messed up by them rather than entering the info yourself when you fill out you online docs.

This same person posted a while ago on another list - this is exactly what I suggested to her - either she or her DH will have to sleep in the pullman - not the end of the world IMO. Guess she didn't like my answer.

that is also what I think.. have someone else sleep in the pullmen. My husband did it for 14 nights on our TA as my five year old was to small (iopo) and there was no way in hell I was going to do it. he is over 6 foot tall, and not a issue.

Interestingly, the TA had the original booking notes and had written the request for a sofa bed! Infact she also specifically recalls asking the rcl rep if this room had a sofa as there were only certain rooms available.

So it seems, RCL are at fault and don't seem to care. The TA had it out with them and the simple answer was cancel or pay an extra £5000GBP for the owners suite! No help at all!

This may be the first and last time we use RCL. So disappointed!

:mad:

Baileysgirls

I would take a copy of the booking form with you and explain when checking in. You could ask to speak to the pier co-ordinator and explain what has happened and see if they can help.

If this fails, go and check out the cabin and then ask at guest services onboard if you dont think this the cabin is going to work for you. They must have spare cabins held back in case of maintenance issues!!

Good luck and I hope you and your family enjoy your cruise and please dont be put of CC by a few people that seem to get pleasure putting others down.

There is definitely not enough space in an E1 for a rollaway bed.

According to today's RCL representative, they don't have these anymore.

That said, they don't seem to "sing from the same hymn sheet" anyway!

Very strange as RCCL have always asked me for the birthdates ...as have my US TAs :confused:

I live in SC (I don't think the nuts in the legislature have voted to secede again). I just booked a cruise through RCCL directly. I have booked several through a TA. I have ALWAYS had to give my DOB and the DOB for every person in the cabin. Why is there always so much argument about every little thing here?

I hope everything works out for OP and they have a great time. All OP wanted was a possible solution, not an adjudication of blame.

Surely your TA should have looked up the size of the cabin too. I still fault your TA for not knowing what they were doing. Notes do not do much good. I know people who put dining notes too on bookings, and trust that the maitre d' will read booking notes when assigning tables. Common sense says this is not anything more than a request if its just a note on your booking... your TAs fault for not looking on the deck plans.

If there was a sofabed it would be marked on the deckplans .. which most people know .. so your TA should have looked on the deck plans. All beds should be marked with the exception of a few typos.

Interestingly, the TA had the original booking notes and had written the request for a sofa bed! Infact she also specifically recalls asking the rcl rep if this room had a sofa[ as there were only certain rooms available.

So it seems, RCL are at fault and don't seem to care. The TA had it out with them and the simple answer was cancel or pay an extra £5000GBP for the owners suite! No help at all!

This may be the first and last time we use RCL. So disappointed!

:mad:

Maybe this is where they went wrong. Maybe your TA did ask if the cabin had a sofa .. .. not all sofas are sofa beds ..

Again if the cabin had a sofa BED, then it would be marked on deck plans. The TA should have followed up sooner and not waited until there were no choices left.

I hope everything works out for OP and they have a great time. All OP wanted was a possible solution, not an adjudication of blame.

then the OP should not place all the blame on RCL and none on the TA.

I had a bad experience on the Brilliance a few years ago. My son is 6'3" and he was joining us on a cruise...when I booked this particular cruise it was direct with RCL and I made a strong point that my son was tall and we needed to accomodate his height....I booked an E1 balcony. When we got to the ship my son tried the sofa bed but it was way too short....we went down to guest relations and complained....I commented that we had booked direct and made a point about my son's height on our reservation....they checked my reservation and then offered me an inside cabin for him for $200. and added a $50 ONC so I did it and he was very happy.....hasn't shared a cabin with us since however!! Be careful what you wish for!!

Maybe this is where they went wrong. Maybe your TA did ask if the cabin had a sofa .. .. not all sofas are sofa beds ..

Again if the cabin had a sofa BED, then it would be marked on deck plans. The TA should have followed up sooner and not waited until there were no choices left.

then the OP should not place all the blame on RCL and none on the TA.

I don't need to Firefly, you are doing a grand job yourself! And for the record, I was not issuing blame until I was harrassed by CC members!

Look, this is now getting really silly. I came on here for advice. Simple as that. We are not all lucky enough to have 10-20 or more cruises under our belt and cannot profess to have indepth knowledge of booking procedures as clients OR agents. We will all make mistakes and we will all learn from my own and others mistakes but thats the benefit of this site is it not, to share experiences and offer support, guidance and friendship to "fellow" cruisers NEW AND OLD!

Have a wonderful cruise, despite the draw backs. RCCL really can't make any changes since your TA owns the reservation not you.

On that thought, does the TA have any other cruisers on this cruise? Perhaps they could ask those cruisers to change cabins (of course the TA should give them some incentive ) if they have a sofa bed.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

For future reference, for those it may help, RCL do indeed have "rollaway"/camp beds and you can fit one in an E1.

The Housekeeper/stateroom attendant was extremely helpful and moved the furniture around to accomodate it and folded it out each evening for us. It was not a problem at all.

We were actually very pleased that we didn't change our cabin as we had stunning views and a corner balcony.

Thanks again to those who contributed ideas and advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad you asked and got the roll away bed, I would have been anxious too.... the rollaway is fairly comfortable too. Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Archived