Upgrade question/help

Hi there, we have booked an E1 cabin which we thought to have a sofa bed. It actually has a pullman which is totally unsuitable for our 3rd member who is 74 years old.

We went to the TA to change the room to be told there were none available, only suites which we can't afford. She suggested we just ask when we get there for a complimentary upgrade.

My question is, can it be that simple? How do I ask? I'm not very good at things like that!

Our only other option is to request the housekeeper/concierge to make up the sofa as a bed. Will they do that?

Many thanks in advance x

Hi there, we have booked an E1 cabin which we thought to have a sofa bed. It actually has a pullman which is totally unsuitable for our 3rd member who is 74 years old.

We went to the TA to change the room to be told there were none available, only suites which we can't afford. She suggested we just ask when we get there for a complimentary upgrade.

My question is, can it be that simple? How do I ask? I'm not very good at things like that!

Our only other option is to request the housekeeper/concierge to make up the sofa as a bed. Will they do that?

Many thanks in advance x

Your TA is an idiot!

Why doesn't HE ask for the complimentary upgrade???

RCL doesn't hand out upgrades just by asking. If that were so, everyone on the board would have gotten one.

Chances are your cruise will be sold out when you board.

Yes, the room attendant will make up and put away the pullman daily. If it's just a regular sofa, it won't pull out into a bed, so I guess you could just sleep on it (if you're short!) with a pillow and blanket.

Could someone else sleep in the pullman? That's probably the easiest solution.

I believe all the 3-person rooms are with pullman's but I could be wrong. I think it is the 4-person rooms that have the pull out sofabed.

The other option would be to change to two connecting rooms. The price would be higher as the single person would have to pay the supplement, but maybe for an inside room this would be do-able.

Many thanks in advance x

Your TA is an idiot!

Why doesn't HE ask for the complimentary upgrade???

RCL doesn't hand out upgrades just by asking. If that were so, everyone on the board would have gotten one.

Chances are your cruise will be sold out when you board.

CruisingAgain, you are too kind. That TA shouldn't be a TA. Yikes.

Baileygirls, you need to get this fixed now.

Possible solutions include:

1. One of the other passengers will sleep in the pullman.

2. You pay for a larger cabin with a sofabed. The only way to do this is to change from an E1 to a D1. Voyager is laid out that way.

3. You get a second cabin, which, as Mewissy pointed out, will cost almost double because of the single supplement.

4. How clear were you with your TA before you placed the booking? Did you tell them the ages of the people who would be in the cabin? Did he/she tell you that the 3rd berth in this category is a pullman? If you told him/her all of that, and this is the result, then my feeling is that the agent needs to fork over the money to get you into a D1.

JMO.

:)

edited to add: No, your 74 year old friend cannot sleep on the sofa. It's a loveseat.

Ok, I'm back from my research.

You are S.O.L., as we say over here.

The only available cabin on the entire ship is one Owner's Suite, which will set you back 5857 GBP. I don't know what you paid for your E1, but I'm guessing that it's about half of that.

I am so sorry.

When did you suddenly realize this problem? You are leaving in a week.

Ok, back from more research.

You seem to have discovered this on June 2, 4 weeks ago.

Not sure how you expect things to have improved since then, cabin-availability-wise.

But since this is your Mother-in-Law, the answer is clear.

You or your husband will sleep in the pullman.

The twin beds will be for your MIL and the other spouse.

Not sure how you expect things to have improved since then, cabin-availability-wise.

This same person posted a while ago on another list - this is exactly what I suggested to her - either she or her DH will have to sleep in the pullman - not the end of the world IMO. Guess she didn't like my answer.

I apologize. More research. You or your spouse will sleep in the pullman. The other will sleep in one of the twin beds, as will your MIL. Since it's HER mother, I suggest that SHE sleep in the pullman, not you! ;) :D (that's what I would say, if I were in that situation)

Many thanks in advance x

Sounds more to me like your TA wanted you to go away.:eek:

You can go to the guest relation desk and ask for a complimentary upgrade. Chances the answer is yes are at an estimate of 0,00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Chances you will be the joke in the evening at one of the crew bars are 99.1%;)

If your cruise history in your signature isn´t hiding some cruises you will not have access to a Concierge and as stated before the cabin attendant won´t have much of a resorce to make the loveseat into a bed.

You need to get rid of your TA. Frst of all many ships sail full so being moved into a different cabin, especially an upgrade, is probably not going to happen. If any cabins are avaliable you will have to pay the going rate. Of course when you are checking in for your cruise and find this out, your travel agent will be no where around. Next time be more careful when you are booking a cabin and know what you are getting into.

It sounds like your TA has not gone directly to RCI to explain the situation to them and ask for THEIR suggestions/recommendations...this is absolutely something your TA can and should do for you. Don't be shy about asking them to do it! :D

It's too bad that your TA did not take the time to ask many questions before making the booking. However, I know that the RCCL UK rules are different there than here in the States.

With a ship sailing full, there will be a 00.1% chance of getting a better cabin.

As others have suggested, the first solution is to figure out the sleeping arrangements, and live with that.

Then, when you get to the pier, the pier coordinator should be sought out, and if by chance, someone in a D-1 or JS cancelled at the last minute, you can pay to be moved to a better cabin.

The last alternative is when you board, ask to speak to the GSM (Guest Services Manager) and relate the same story. They have the ability, for a price, if a better cabin is available...to offer it to you. IF you are lucky enough to be moved from an E-1 to a D-1, just remember that you will have to come up with more money.

Good luck, and however it turns out, enjoy your cruise!:)

Rick

4. How clear were you with your TA before you placed the booking? Did you tell them the ages of the people who would be in the cabin? Did he/she tell you that the 3rd berth in this category is a pullman? If you told him/her all of that, and this is the result, then my feeling is that the agent needs to fork over the money to get you into a D1.

IMO, the OP gave the TA the birthdates in order to book the cruise right?? So, the TA had the info that the 3rd pax was that age. The OP didnt need to make anything clear .. the TA knew by the birthdates and the TA should have checked the deckplans at the time of booking and advised them.

IMO, the OP gave the TA the birthdates in order to book the cruise right?? So, the TA had the info that the 3rd pax was that age. The OP didnt need to make anything clear .. the TA knew by the birthdates and the TA should have checked the deckplans at the time of booking and advised them.

While I think the TA didn´t do the job here, I disagree that the TA has to know by looking at birthdates if a pullman will work or not.

Thank you for your responses, though I have to say I do feel a little "attacked" by some of them!

Firstly, we only booked this 6 weeks ago, secondly it was made perfectly clear that we (as a couple) would be travelling with an elderly relative and specifically asked for a sofa bed. We were directed to particular rooms and made our choice. It was after searching room images via google that our attention was drawn to the problem.

I did post in early june asking for advice, and also did go an see our travel agent to be told we could upgrade but we were not able to do this as we had already upgraded from an inside for 2 to a balcony for 3.

Tied up with a 10 day stretch at work, we returned to the travel agent last week to sort the problem and were told there were no longer any suitable cabins other than 3 suites which would cost us an extra £1600pp and was given the advice as per my original post.

I am not looking for critisism on my part or the TA, just supportive advice for novice cruisers. Yes of course one of us could sleep on a bunk, but that wasn't how we expected to spend our well earned holiday! We rarely holiday without kids and on this occasion we decided to take mil before she forgets who we all are. We wanted it to be pleasurable for all of us.

Thank you anyway.

While I think the TA didn´t do the job here, I disagree that the TA has to know by looking at birthdates if a pullman will work or not.

If the TA had the birthdates they could (hopefully) work out the ages, they can see that the room has a pullman and they should have asked if one person was ok to go up the ladder to bed.

Again the OP should/could have looked a the deckplans when they were picking the room and asked what that funny little symbol meant :rolleyes:

If the TA had the birthdates they could (hopefully) work out the ages, they can see that the room has a pullman and they should have asked if one person was ok to go up the ladder to bed.

Again the OP should/could have looked a the deckplans when they were picking the room and asked what that funny little symbol meant :rolleyes:

I wasn´t saying that the TA couldn´t calculate the age of the pax by knowing the birthdates.

What I meant is the TA, even knowing the age of PAX, doesn´t automatically knows if a pullman will work or not.

But as it looks like the OP did discuss the need of a sofabed with the TA.

Thank you for your responses, though I have to say I do feel a little "attacked" by some of them!

Firstly, we only booked this 6 weeks ago, secondly it was made perfectly clear that we (as a couple) would be travelling with an elderly relative and specifically asked for a sofa bed. We were directed to particular rooms and made our choice. It was after searching room images via google that our attention was drawn to the problem.

I did post in early june asking for advice, and also did go an see our travel agent to be told we could upgrade but we were not able to do this as we had already upgraded from an inside for 2 to a balcony for 3.

Tied up with a 10 day stretch at work, we returned to the travel agent last week to sort the problem and were told there were no longer any suitable cabins other than 3 suites which would cost us an extra £1600pp and was given the advice as per my original post.

I am not looking for critisism on my part or the TA, just supportive advice for novice cruisers. Yes of course one of us could sleep on a bunk, but that wasn't how we expected to spend our well earned holiday! We rarely holiday without kids and on this occasion we decided to take mil before she forgets who we all are. We wanted it to be pleasurable for all of us.

Thank you anyway.

The problem with your situation is, there is no other supportive advice to give you. If you are not willing / able to fork out the extra money for an upgrade, you will be stuck with your cabin and have to make due with the sleeping arrangements as given.

Your sailing is almost booked out and not even a downgrade would be available.

The advice your TA gave you about the upgrade is just highly unlikely to work, but sure you can try and ask and it might be your 1 in a million lucky day.

What I was saying if the TA knew the 3rd was that old, they should have clarified it with the pax before jumping in to book it, .. just say, I see she is over age 60, will a upper bunk work ok?

If I was the TA, thats what I would have done. .. not just said, oh well, its none of my business, I need this booking and gone ahead without asking the pax if that cabin arrangement would work.. not after the cabin is booked.

OP Im sorry you feel its not appropriate to say the TA goofed.. 'casue 6 weeks ago, Im sure there had to have been other options and I think a good TA should have known the cabin configuration and sounds like this TA did not know.

But as it looks like the OP did discuss the need of a sofabed with the TA.

I now agree - that if the OP says they needed a room with a sofabed then the TA goofed. The TA obviously doesn't know which the funny little signs mean - very worrying.:eek:

There are always a few no shows on board: you may get lucky, but I wouldn't hold my breath that a D1 is a no show.

No hanky panky with MIL in the room any way so does it matter that DH is in the pullman;)

Baileygirls, i just want to say i sympathise with you, cos quite frankly on the whole i have found this forum a little 'frosty' and 'patronising' to new cruisers also!

Lucky for some that they have had lots of cruises and have the money to do so, but our cruise for two adults and two children has cost over £10,000, oh to be in the rich position that this barely touched the pocket!!!

I hope you get this sorted, and i do sympathise with the TA issue cos ours too was worse than useless and i have had to deal directly with RCCL to get any information, cos even the tickets the TA printed for us did not have the one bit that RCCL said we had to have!!! Lucky i sorted that for myself!

Baileygirls, i just want to say i sympathise with you, cos quite frankly on the whole i have found this forum a little 'frosty' and 'patronising' to new cruisers also!

Lucky for some that they have had lots of cruises and have the money to do so, but our cruise for two adults and two children has cost over £10,000, oh to be in the rich position that this barely touched the pocket!!!

I hope you get this sorted, and i do sympathise with the TA issue cos ours two was worse than useless and i have had to deal directly with RCCL to get any information, cos even the tickets the TA printed for us did not have the one bit that RCCL said we had to have!!! Lucky i sorted that for myself!

One can have sympathy for her problem but not be able to deliver the "good news" that she wants to hear.

The fact is, there are no other cabins. It is really no big deal for one of the younger women to sleep in the pullman bed.

In fact, having the pullman instead of the sofabed means more floor space at night. There should be no issues of running into or banging into the extended sofabed at night in the dark.

One can have sympathy for her problem but not be able to deliver the "good news" that she wants to hear.

The fact is, there are no other cabins. It is really no big deal for one of the younger women to sleep in the pullman bed.

In fact, having the pullman instead of the sofabed means more floor space at night. There should be no issues of running into or banging into the extended sofabed at night in the dark.

Merion Mum, a simple "sorry, there's absolutely nothing you can do" would have sufficed. Going through my each and every post and picking fault with each one is not supportive.

Rolosmum, I completely understand, hence us cruising without the kids as we just can't afford to cruise with them. I am sure you will have a fabtastic time and it will be worth the expense, even if its something that you only do once with them. We're hoping we might be able to take them with us next year (on a cheap 4 days lol)

Firefly, I can see the TA is at fault, but quite simply what can I do with less than a week to go on a cruise that is fully booked! :(

Albert Ross, its not the hanky panky that worries me, its the other half IN the pullman lol x

Archived