Just back from Solstice June 19th -1st July any questions

Maz_1

Hi,

Just had the most amazing time on the Solstice sailing from Barcelona June the 19th - 1st of July. If anyone has any questions I will try & answer them. Review will follow.:D

I am sure I have reasd this somewhere but cannot find it now, I sail on the 24th August the question is are there tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms on the Solstice
lisi

No there are no facilities on the Solistice. I think they have this on the Eclipse sailing out Southampton.

Glad you had a great time! :D

I remember your posts as you were preparing for the cruise... did your father-in-law enjoy himself?

Hi.

He had a ball. He loved every single minute. He spoke to just about everyone on the cruise I think. He loved having a balcony cabin as well. We are already looking at next year.:D

I was on that cruise also. We had a fantastic time. Loved the ship and what great weather we had!

Hi.

The weather & everything about the holiday was fantastic. I cannot fault anything about the ship. My 82 year old Father in Law had the best holiday ever. You may have seen him on ship with his gold handled walking stick, talking to just about everyone:) My husband was also one of the Beatles on the night they had the Sixties quiz.:D

Hi,

Just had the most amazing time on the Solstice sailing from Barcelona June the 19th - 1st of July. If anyone has any questions I will try & answer them. Review will follow.:D

Glad to know you enjoyed your cruise. We are sailing on 13 July and have the same itinerary as yours. Could you tell me if you had 2 or 3 formal nights, and what dates?

Did they offer any "fill the bag" laundry special?

Did you dock in Naples or Solerno?

Look forward to reading your review. Many thanks.

Hi,

Maz, glad you and your FIL had such a great time. We were on the Solstice cruise before you and had a wonderful trip too. Food and service were top notch.

Phil

Lovely to hear you had a good trip and that your father in law had a good time; how lovely that he took to the experience and entered into the spirit. It is by approaching a cruise that way that you make the most of it!

Hi, Just had the most amazing time on the Solstice sailing from Barcelona June the 19th - 1st of July. If anyone has any questions I will try & answer them. Review will follow.:D

Glad your Solstice sailing worked so well. Look forward to reading your review.

Having been on the ship right before you, agree that the crew was "well-tuned" and doing a super, great job. ALSO, we take some pride in not drinking ALL of the booze and leaving some for you folks to enjoy. For those who have not done the Solstice in the Med, below are a couple of my preview pictures for the pool and a sunset on the ship. Agree with Phil's views based on our mutual experiences.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 16,386 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,345 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

This is a view of the main pool area on the Solstice. Love the sun and activities here.:

SolsticeMainPoolView2.jpg

As the Solstice sailed from Naples, we passed scenic Capri island, former summer home for Roman Emperors. This is the sunset view of this island from the ship.:

SolsticeCapriSunset.jpg

Glad to know you enjoyed your cruise. We are sailing on 13 July and have the same itinerary as yours. Could you tell me if you had 2 or 3 formal nights, and what dates?

Did they offer any "fill the bag" laundry special?

Did you dock in Naples or Solerno?

Look forward to reading your review. Many thanks.

Hi.

We had 3 formal nights. The 1st day at sea, The 2nd day at sea & the last formal night was when we docked in Malta.

Not sure about the laundry as we didn't use it.

We docked in Naples.

Have a fantastic time.:)

I am always amused, to put it mildly, by the I am just back from "XXX Cruise" what do you want to know? Posts. I am not picking on the OP but it is similar to walking into a College Class and the Professor saying "This is a class on XXX, what do you want to know?"

Imagine a 5 yo walking into first grade and the teacher saying, "What do you want to know"? This is not how information is conveyed.

Post a review and teach. The questions can only follow.

I am always amused, to put it mildly, by the I am just back from "XXX Cruise" what do you want to know? Posts. I am not picking on the OP but it is similar to walking into a College Class and the Professor saying "This is a class on XXX, what do you want to know?"

Imagine a 5 yo walking into first grade and the teacher saying, "What do you want to know"? This is not how information is conveyed.

Or we could be happy the OP had such a great time and has offered to share anything we want to know about. Teaching and learning are funny things, there are many ways. And the OP did state a review is coming.

Berating, regardless of percieved justification, is not among the best ways to teach. If you know how then show us how.

I did not mean to berate the OP as you suggested. As a matter of fact, I indicated that I was not picking on her/him. I thought that was clear in my post but obviously not. For this I apologize.

Saying one had an amazing time does not indicate why it was amazing except for responders to guess at the reasons, food, embarkation, disembarkation, staff, price, shore excursions, etc, etc, etc. And then try the 20 questions to find out why it was amazing.

Again, this is not the way to convey information. Not picking on the OP or others that have posted in this way but post your comments rather than have readers try to guess at why it was good or bad.

...Again, this is not the way to convey information. Not picking on the OP or others that have posted in this way ...

Very quickly so as not to hijack, and I am done. The OP began their contribution with a blank screen. There is no right or wrong way to convey whatever their intent was to convey, mearly their way. It is totally individual and personal. Some people like a monologe, some like a dialog. Either and a thousand variations in between all work as effective ways to teach and learn.

I don't think that 5 year olds are reading these boards.

When you see the title of the thread invites people to ask questions, and you don't feel like being "amused, to put it mildy", then perhaps you should just not read the thread, & save yourself the amusement.

Very quickly so as not to hijack, and I am done. The OP began their contribution with a blank screen. There is no right or wrong way to convey whatever their intent was to convey, mearly their way. It is totally individual and personal. Some people like a monologe, some like a dialog. Either and a thousand variations in between all work as effective ways to teach and learn.

I agree there is no right way or wrong way but if the teacher does not convey information to their students then there is no education. Perhaps 5 year olds should be teaching the class. We know that is not the case. I am also out.

Bigwalt what are you going on about?

If you want to take the teaching analogy (and yes I am a teacher ;)) then we all have different learning styles and for me the way the OP has set out her opening post is perfect. Any questions are acceptable without fear of hijack as long as they are about her / his cruise or ship. I am sailing Eclipse soon and am interested from a sister ship point of view and will follow this thread.

Let's hope everyone hasn't been frightened away! :o

Bigwalt what are you going on about?

If you want to take the teaching analogy (and yes I am a teacher ;)) then we all have different learning styles and for me the way the OP has set out her opening post is perfect. Any questions are acceptable without fear of hijack as long as they are about her / his cruise or ship. I am sailing Eclipse soon and am interested from a sister ship point of view and will follow this thread.

Let's hope everyone hasn't been frightened away! :o

One last time. As a teacher. do you ever, ever, ever, ask a class what they want know? You teach then what they need to know. Let me know if this is not the case.

One last time. As a teacher. do you ever, ever, ever, ask a class what they want know? You teach then what they need to know. Let me know if this is not the case.

OMG, this is not school, it's a message board!!!! Who said anyone was teaching??

The way the OP formed the thread is a common way for people who are planning to take that cruise, or are booked on a sister ship, to ask questions of someone who has taken the cruise on a similar ship; kind of like an open discussion. If you don't like the format, just don't read it!! Geeesh, lighten up!!!!

Yes to answer your question, I do!

Today teaching is both about what pupils need to know AND what they want to know. We don't use chalk any more either. ;)

Actually "yes". One time I was asked to substitute at the very last minute for another professor who had a stroke. Clearly he wasn't going to return for the semester and I was the only one available to fill in for him. Although I had studied the subject , had never taught it. I went to class that first day and explained the situation to the students and asked them what they would like to gain from the course. We designed the content together. Toward the end of the semester I learned that the students nominated me for a teaching award. This was my best teaching experience in 38 years of teaching. Sorry to say that my friend never returned to teaching.

Archived