Has anyone done Jamaica for a day?

mommyto2kids

That was a great review. I enjoyed the pics, your little girl she's gorgous. Im glad you had a good time.

Thanks. This port really surprised me. (I was NOT looking forward to it at all). I'm really glad with went with this AI. My little one has learn to swim by herself now...it should make an interesting cruise coming up in December. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:) I recently got back from my first cruise with Carnival Magic and decided to try the Jamaica for a day pass at the Hilton Hall Rose. It was amazing, no kids, the location was gorgeous, it includes all your non-motor sports. The staff was very friendly and the rum runners were on point (very strong).

It's all inclusive and they mean it. You have lots of food choices and drinks.

:) I recently got back from my first cruise with Carnival Magic and decided to try the Jamaica for a day pass at the Hilton Hall Rose. It was amazing, no kids, the location was gorgeous, it includes all your non-motor sports. The staff was very friendly and the rum runners were on point (very strong).

It's all inclusive and they mean it. You have lots of food choices and drinks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We're thinking of doing Sunset Beach in December when we go. Does anyone have experience with this time of year? I'm worried about the weather. Obviously I won't wanna go to the beach in sweatpants and a jacket. I live in Louisiana, so I realize it can be 80 degrees one day and 50 the next, so I guess it really depends on the weather that particular week we are there. Even if it is a little chilly, do you think it is worth it or should we find something else to do?

We're thinking of doing Sunset Beach in December when we go. Does anyone have experience with this time of year? I'm worried about the weather. Obviously I won't wanna go to the beach in sweatpants and a jacket. I live in Louisiana, so I realize it can be 80 degrees one day and 50 the next, so I guess it really depends on the weather that particular week we are there. Even if it is a little chilly, do you think it is worth it or should we find something else to do?

When we were there in mid January, it was HOT ! I wouldn't worry too much about the weather if I were you.. you may get some rain but I very much doubt it would be cool in Jamaica. The average Dec. temp for MoBay is 82 degrees F. and Jan. average is 81 degrees F. :) I'm sure you'll have a great day at Sunset should you decide to go.

Anyone use Jamaica for a day in Ocho Rios and go to the Jewel Dunns River Beach Resort? We were looking to go through them with transportation for a group of 8. Was wondering if this would be a good choice.

Yes i just got back from using them. The transportation was great and very simple. The resort like others have said is an old Sandals resort, but it has been kept up well.

The staff are very friendly and never a problem getting unlimted drinks of food.

• 1 month later...

Resort was Great...next time will use my own Transportation....Waiting for Lazy people just S......ks..:mad:..also traveling away from Hotel to drop others off wasn't fun when they sent other people a half hour earlier to the Grande....all in all had a great day..:eek:

Looking for input on Jewel Runaway Bay vs Sunset Grande for a day pass.

Originally I thought we only had the one option with Sunset however now I see they accept children at the Jewel Runaway Bay so we have a new option.

A little about us, we will be arriving March 13th, we are a family of 8, DH, myself, DD 18, DD 16, DD 10, DDBF 19, DM 69, DF 71.

We're looking to just relax, enjoy the beach/pool, have a drink or two and lunch. We're not looking for a party atmosphere etc, we're pretty low key. Last year we we spent a week in Jamaica (which we LOVED btw) so we're not looking to do any "excursions". We feel spending the day at an AI would best fit what we're looking for.

Thanks in advance :)

I thought jewel runaway bay was 14 & older?

Nope....they opened up to families November 2012. Jamaica A Day sells tickets:

All-Inclusive Resort Pass & Transfer Package:

Adult (age 14+): $80 all-inclusive

Child (ages 6-13): $65 all-inclusive

5 and under no charge

I'm now flip-flopping on what to do in Ocho Rios. I read reviews on both Sunset and Jewel and didn't like what I was reading. We may do our resort for the day when we go to Nassau and do the Dunn's River & Dolphin Cove Excursion through the ship. I find planning excursions to be very overwhelming :( Then again, this is our first cruise.

I read reviews on both Sunset and Jewel and didn't like what I was reading.

Did you read my review on Sunset above? What is it that you didn't like about the resort? It was beautiful, good food, and so many pools. If we go back, we would definitely do it again. The only issue we had was the water slide and my then 3 year old not being aloud to go on it. You said yours was 8, so that shouldn't be an issue. Just wondering...

What about Sunset Jamaica Grande closest to Ochos Rios? Has anyone gone there? How was your day? Do they have hobie catamarans to sail on?
We've just returned from our Christmas cruise on the Mariner. Because this was a family trip and because the youngest children were 7 and 8, we were extremely concerned about security.

I found a post about Sunset Grande that included pictures showing that it you could see the ship from the resort and that it was located just on the other side of the bay. We were there on Dec. 26th and were pleased. Food was okay, pools were clean, the small beach was nice. We used the kayaks and I don't remember if there were catamarans or not. If you email JamaicaForADay with questions, you'll get a quick friendly reply. The bus was prompt in both picking us up at the port. They took us back at our requested time. Our only complaint would be that it got extremely crowded. It doesn't compare to the atmosphere, food and the fun of Nachi Cocom in Cozumel but we felt it was a good choice for Ocho Rios. Our admittance to the resort was a bit unorganized but we were not hassled at all and everyone was polite and friendly.

We are considering Jamaica for a Day - the Dunn River Falls and Beach Resort combo package. We are sailing on the Breeze in February and are in port from 11:00 am - 6:00 pm.

My questions is around timing -- if we don't get into port until 11:00 am by the time you get to the falls and do the climb, how much time is left to enjoy the beach part? It says transportation back to the ship is 2 hours prior to ship's depature. Depending on how long it takes to drive to the falls, climb the falls and drive to the resort, I'm calculating there would only be about 2 hours of beach time. That doesn't seem like much time at all (especially for $100 pp).

Has anyone done this tour recently and can comment on the timing of the day?

Thanks so much!

We are considering Jamaica for a Day - the Dunn River Falls and Beach Resort combo package. We are sailing on the Breeze in February and are in port from 11:00 am - 6:00 pm.

My questions is around timing -- if we don't get into port until 11:00 am by the time you get to the falls and do the climb, how much time is left to enjoy the beach part? It says transportation back to the ship is 2 hours prior to ship's depature. Depending on how long it takes to drive to the falls, climb the falls and drive to the resort, I'm calculating there would only be about 2 hours of beach time. That doesn't seem like much time at all (especially for $100 pp).

Has anyone done this tour recently and can comment on the timing of the day?

Thanks so much!

If you have not done Dunn's River before, I would recommend it, but since you're docking at Falmouth instead of Ocho Rios, the transportation will be longer. I would look into an independent tour that just goes to Dunn's River or better yet, an all inclusive for the day like the Hilton Rose Hall through jamaicaforaday and do Dunn's River on another cruise in the future that docks at Ocho Rios. Good luck

If you have not done Dunn's River before, I would recommend it, but since you're docking at Falmouth instead of Ocho Rios, the transportation will be longer.

According to the Cruise TT website we are docking at Ocho Rios.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Jamaica/480-Ocho_Rios/February_2013/

Still looking for feedback on whether we'll have enough time to do both the beach resort and the Falls based on the timing of the tour from Jamaica for a Day. Anyone done this recently?

I'm on the 1/27 sailing of the breeze. I'm thinking of just doing the Jewell Dunn river resort as I have all ready been to the falls. I'm sure you would have enough time as the falls probably take about an hour. I'm also looking at doing cool runnings cat over to Dunn river. I would hangout on the beach while the others climb the falls. It seems so Much easier...

According to the Cruise TT website we are docking at Ocho Rios.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Jamaica/480-Ocho_Rios/February_2013/

Still looking for feedback on whether we'll have enough time to do both the beach resort and the Falls based on the timing of the tour from Jamaica for a Day. Anyone done this recently?

I too am having a heck of a time with this port. I wish they would change us to Falmouth or Montego Bay.

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk HD.

I've contacted several resorts to see if you can purchase day passes directly....turns out that its actually cheaper to purchase the passes through Jamaica for a day. Also their transportation was the same price that I was quoted through a private taxi. I didn't expect this! Lol

:)

Sue

Archived