Name Misspelled on birth certificate

Today, your birth record is your first proof that you exist as a person, so the spelling on it becomes your name. But in the past, it was easier to become someone else, such is this case. I'm not really sure if you could change your name on a birth certificate today, because showing a DL etc, only shows that your DL is wrong, and not the BC. My gut says this won't be fixed easy, and you should call your Senator's office to get you the help you need.

I cant believe this problem hasnt come up before , getting into school, getting a drivers license you have to show BC , getting married, getting SS card . If it was wrong why didnt her parents change it right away???

That depends on factors unknown to us. This individual may have had a certified birth certificate prior to this one that was indeed correct. Most states(and I do not know if New Jersey has or not) have been converting their birth records to data bases and those that have now issue birth certificates from computers and not photocopying the original to whatever form of paper they use. So her original birth certificate that was typed years ago and signed by the doctor and parent might have indeed been spelled with a K. But if she has since had her birth certificate re-issued from this conversion, very well possible the person doing the data entry erred and used a C. Data entry errors are rare but do happen. In my years of having worked at a local Vital Stats office, I had a few men freak out when I asked them if they were born female (always had to ask) because their computer record now had them as such. A quick call and the record was verified at the State office with the original and the computer record was corrected to male.

OP - hopefully her record gets straightened out once and for all and in time. Enjoy your cruise.

Today, your birth record is your first proof that you exist as a person, so the spelling on it becomes your name. But in the past, it was easier to become someone else, such is this case. I'm not really sure if you could change your name on a birth certificate today, because showing a DL etc, only shows that your DL is wrong, and not the BC. My gut says this won't be fixed easy, and you should call your Senator's office to get you the help you need.

Again - I can only say how it was in Colorado, but a first/middle name spelling variation/error does not require a court order - just a fee and proof of correct spelling.

The weird part is how she was able to get her ss card & DL using the K instead of the C, ODD..

I wish my name was spelled Debra & not Deborah, but thats what my b/c says...:rolleyes:

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

yes, well it happens....I'm 42 and my middle name was spelled most of my life with an A, but the birth cert says E....yes, even the middle name can screw you up....I took the DL, library card, social, work ID, and marriage license personally to the vital Statistics office 4 and a half hours away. The officer told me because I wasnt trying to change my name, only correct a mistake, she authorized it and I walked out with the papers corrected.....point is ...go to the office. whoever answers the phones may give you a different answer each time you call.....

This exact situation came up a couple of weeks ago (I live in Texas). A young man had a suspended license and was not going to be able to get it corrected before his cruise. The other problem was the spelling of his name on BC and DL was different. Undra on BC and Andre on DL. I suggested he get a state issued photo Id with the name that matched the BC. He didnt get the hard copy right away, but he did get the temporary paper copy with his picture on it. I told him to take the DL just in case it was needed but they never asked for anything other than the temporary ID and BC. They were able to enjoy their cruise and take care of the rest when they returned home. The funny thing was, the name spelling had never been an issue, even enlisting in the Army years ago. I hope this works out for OP and they are able to cruise without any issues.

In 1960, my sister's Girl Scout troop was going to the Cabana in Mexico. My mother, asst. troop leader, needed a birth certificate for the first time, to get a visitor's card for Mexico. When it came, it said she was Harriet Louise, not the Olive Louise that her parents named her. She was born at home (in 1910), and apparently the doctor didn't file the birth certificate right away, and forgot the name. Fortunately her mother was still alive and could provide an affidavit that her name should have been Olive, and it was changed. EM

Strange that her mom didn't fix or correct this a long time ago! My sister's middle name was misspelled on her birth certificate so they just left it spelled that way. (Kristen but it was spelt Kristin)

hmmmm.....New Jersey has a 6pt ID requirement and all her other ID has K, so it doubt we'd be able to change the license to C since it matches nothing she has.

How did she get all these important id's and such with a mis spelled birth certificat:confused: Strange.........a birth certificate is an official doc......

That depends on factors unknown to us. This individual may have had a certified birth certificate prior to this one that was indeed correct. Most states(and I do not know if New Jersey has or not) have been converting their birth records to data bases and those that have now issue birth certificates from computers and not photocopying the original to whatever form of paper they use. So her original birth certificate that was typed years ago and signed by the doctor and parent might have indeed been spelled with a K. But if she has since had her birth certificate re-issued from this conversion, very well possible the person doing the data entry erred and used a C. Data entry errors are rare but do happen. In my years of having worked at a local Vital Stats office, I had a few men freak out when I asked them if they were born female (always had to ask) because their computer record now had them as such. A quick call and the record was verified at the State office with the original and the computer record was corrected to male.

OP - hopefully her record gets straightened out once and for all and in time. Enjoy your cruise.

This is really the only explanation of how she may have gotten her ss card, dl, etc.. Maybe she used her original & CORRECT b/c to get these things, then misplaced that b/c & received a replacement with the incorrect sp??

In 1963 I went to get my birth certificate and they only had one for Baby girl and my last name.

I told them my name and they changed it!

Times have changed!

My mom and a co worker needed a passport in 1980 to vacation in Mexico. When my mom's friend got a copy of her BC--it said No Name for her name, and then listed her maiden name. It was quite a challenge to get the No Name off that BC. She never had trouble getting her marriage license, DL, or her SS card, and had been working over 25 years.

True story for me.....I got married in 1977. I kept my maiden name......fast forward four kids and 25 years later and everyone called me Mrs. X (husband's name) My drivers license even had my maiden name and my married name on it by then.

I went back to teaching in 2002...and my district called me and said that my name (married--Mrs. X) did not match my social security card. I either had to go by maiden name or change my SS info. So I took my marriage licence to the SS office. I explained that I needed to change my info to my married name and gave her my marriage certificate. She kept staring at the date (25 years earlier) and the appkication to change name. ......I told her I wanted to make sure I was going to stay married before I changed my name. She laughed the entire time she helped me. :D

Today...it is worth making the 90 minutes trip to ease any anxiety!!

Happy sailing!!

I had a similar experience before my first cruise as my first name was misspelled on my birth certificate. I needed a quick solution so I changed the spelling of my first name on my drivers license to match my birth certificate. I believe the cost was $23 to reissue my drivers license.

When I returned from my cruise, I petitioned the state to correct the spelling on my birth certificate to correct the error. Once the amended birth certificate was obtained, I completed my application for a passport. I did have to obtain a second corrected drivers license but at the time, it was the quickest option for me.

Archived