Food options on Freedom that are included in cruise price

I booked Portifino twice on our coming cruise and the charge was £12 each person payed by credit card, my question is, why is Chops $30 and Portfino $20, never been before, but would have thought the Portfino is a better atmosphere ?

This is the closest I've come to a RCCL megaship. What options exist in the Windjammer? Is it just like I've seen on Sovereign, Voyageur and Grandeur?

On Carnvial Dream, in their buffet, they had little "outlets" for Indian food and Italian food, and a Mongolian Wok (the Mongolian Wok was pretty good). Are there any such "specialties" in the WJ or is it your standard WJ fare?

Just a note to the OP:

It is entirely possible to eat as much enjoyable food as you want without paying one cent additional, unless you want to! We have resisted the pressure to use specialty restaurants because we cannot justify spending more money on food when there is perfectly fine food included in the cruise fare. We've never once felt deprived, under fed, or lacking in quality options.

I am with you on that one.... as much as our rooms cost, outside of a cupcake for my DD, I don't plan on paying for any food. And if I can get her distracted with the free ice cream, I won't be buying the cupcake. I have never understood why cruise lines other than disney don't provide free soft drinks. It wouldn't cost them much, but would create a lot of goodwill.

I am with you on that one.... as much as our rooms cost, outside of a cupcake for my DD, I don't plan on paying for any food. And if I can get her distracted with the free ice cream, I won't be buying the cupcake. I have never understood why cruise lines other than disney don't provide free soft drinks. It wouldn't cost them much, but would create a lot of goodwill.

"Free" is not quite the right word. It is "included in your cruisefare". And I believe that you will find that Disney's cruisefares are higher than Royal Caribbean's.

What is included in one company's cruisefare may be different from what is included in the cruisefare of another company.

You have to pick the right value for your family.

:)

"Free" is not quite the right word. It is "included in your cruisefare". And I believe that you will find that Disney's cruisefares are higher than Royal Caribbean's.

What is included in one company's cruisefare may be different from what is included in the cruisefare of another company.

You have to pick the right value for your family.

:)

You are right... I use the term "free" very loosely. I have definitely paid for all the "Free" stuff that is included in the cruise fare.

Having only sailed Carnival so far, I was in sticker shock with we decided to do RC. Of course, I went up in cabin category, and longer in length... but still. WOW.

I intend to sample all the previously paid for food I can find on this cruise. :)

As far as Disney prices go... up until looking at the 2012 prices, I wasn't finding they were that much more than RC as long as you booked well in advance. However, with the new ship coming online next year, prices have really taken a jump.

Portofino is $20

Johnny Rockets is $4.95

Room service is $3.95 between midnight and 5:00 a.m.

I can only make one small addition: You can order the Chops steak in the MDR for -- I think -- $15. Since this is half the cost of going to Chops, it's not a bad deal.

A note on Johnny Rockets: You can get milkshakes (for a cost) or desserts (free) at Johnny Rockets without paying the cover charge. Also, they sell draft beer in a slightly larger cup for a slightly smaller price than the other bars onboard. Again, you can walk in and get just a beer without paying the cover charge.

Ben & Jerry's is pay by the scoop, similar to land prices. I think they've added a fee-based cupcakery since we sailed on it last summer...
The smallest cones are $2.50, and with all the other food onboard, I can't imagine why anyone'd get anything other than the small choice. They do have milkshakes too.
The agent may be incorrect, but the fee that is on the website clearly states the fee for Portofino is $20 to $25.
I think may vary from ship to ship. That doesn't make much sense, but I think it's true.
On Carnvial Dream, in their buffet, they had little "outlets" for Indian food and Italian food, and a Mongolian Wok (the Mongolian Wok was pretty good). Are there any such "specialties" in the WJ or is it your standard WJ fare?
The buffet area called Jade offers Asian foods all the time, and they offer specialties from time to time. I know that they had Mongolian BBQ (same thing you're calling Mongolian Wok) a couple times in the buffet, and I know they had a Mexican buffet one night in the buffet. Do not eat the tamales. Yuck.
The "free ice cream" is actually frozen yogurt (I wonder if it goes through a self-serve machine better?), but my kids loved it and ate it every afternoon by the pool. Come to think of it, my husband ate his share too. They did ask for B&J cones just once.
I have never understood why cruise lines other than disney don't provide free soft drinks. It wouldn't cost them much, but would create a lot of goodwill.
You're right that it wouldn't cost much -- probably a dollar per person would do it for the whole cruise. WHY they won't, however, is perfectly clear: Most people are willing to pony up big bucks for the soda plan, and that's profit for them. Why should they give away a product for which people are willing to pay?

A note on Johnny Rockets: You can get milkshakes (for a cost) or desserts (free) at Johnny Rockets without paying the cover charge. Also, they sell draft beer in a slightly larger cup for a slightly smaller price than the other bars onboard. Again, you can walk in and get just a beer without paying the cover charge.

REALLY?!!! There are very few desserts I like on the ship, but JR's has great oreo sundaes. :) This could be BAD NEWS for me. :rolleyes: :p

REALLY?!!! There are very few desserts I like on the ship, but JR's has great oreo sundaes. :) This could be BAD NEWS for me. :rolleyes: :p

So, are you saying you can get something like the oreo sundae without paying the cover or paying for the dessert? That would be awesome.

You're right that it wouldn't cost much -- probably a dollar per person would do it for the whole cruise. WHY they won't, however, is perfectly clear: Most people are willing to pony up big bucks for the soda plan, and that's profit for them. Why should they give away a product for which people are willing to pay?

I prefer it that way. I only drink water so would rather soda not be included in the cruise costs.

Like specialty restaurants (which I do use) I think its much better to let people have the options.

I would like to know how you get a dessert from Johnny Rockets without paying the cover as well... although, after seeing the menu a little bit ago, we may just go there. The onion rings look great.

This is the closest I've come to a RCCL megaship. What options exist in the Windjammer? Is it just like I've seen on Sovereign, Voyageur and Grandeur?

The Windjammer was similar to the WJ on the other ships, but on a larger scale. Decent food. Asian was good, breakfast was good, breads were good, salad bar was good. I remember being unimpressed with the pizza.

I don't remember made-to-order Italian or Asian, although it's entirely plausible I missed it. That's a big buffet!!

Compared to the Sovereign-class ships, the biggest difference we noticed was that the WJ was not in the front of the ship. Having sailed on the Monarch, Sovereign & Nordic Empress, this was an initial surprise! :p

• 2 weeks later...

How is the food in Sorrento's? Is there other than pizza available for free ?

The Windjammer buffet has an asian 'section' called Jade. Is that just like 4 or 5 dishes in a section of the regular buffet or is it a full out Asian buffet?

To answer a coffee question. There is a venue of specailty coffee's. There is a fee. But you can get all the specialty coffee, similar to prices at Starbucks. Sorry not sure of the name , as i don't drink coffee. My DD got her fix every morning onboard, lol . There is free coffee in WJ and if the ship has a royal promenade, there is a a place there for free coffee.

:eek:

Archived