Appalling Customer Service

ausbod

On July 1st we got an email from HAL from a person who indicated she is our personal cruise consultant. So, as we are thinking about a transatlantic next year, and we want to disembark in Cherbourg rather than Rotterdam, I emailed her about that. No response. I emailed again a few days later. No response. I emailed again Friday. No response. Tomorrow I will call and speak to someone, but, wow, why did HAL bother to email us in the first place?

Because some people don't want to hear "we don't know" and proceed to have a hissy fit. The customer service people can't win no matter what they do.

Lying helps nobody. It might get the annoying customer off the phone, but when that customer finds out, he's likely to not be happy.

I agree. So I would put it this way- when told they "don't know yet", how many people would have a hissy fit, claim poor customer service by HAL, or that HAL was a poorly run business just because in 5 minutes, they can't fix every problem. No win situation for the HAL employee on the phone.

The HAL customer service have lied to both me and my travel agent. AFTER, the trip had been pulled off the internet, they denied that there were any problems with the cruise. Other people on the Cruise Critic Roll Call on this cruise had been told different stories by HAL. We were trying to get to the bottom of the problem. When I finally tired of the double talk, I asked for a manger. The CSR with whom I was talking, put me on hold and parked me for 28 minutes without ever coming back on the line. Finally I called HAL on another number and was ultimately connected to a person who was the manger of customer service.

She acknowledged that the cruise would not be sailing as scheduled ... obviously. She was polite, professional and has done everything she promised to do. However, weeks later, nothing is resolved. They have our money and we don't know when, if or where the cruise is going.

This cruise is not a simple seven day trip to the Carib. Flight arrangements and pre cruise accommodations have to be resolved. Also whether or not this cruise actually happens is effecting our decision on other cruises before and after. Also, if this cruise is not going to go, HAL has no other options to offer us. We need some answers and we need them now.

The attitude of the customer service department is outrageous. They have no concern for us as 200 day passengers or had any empathy for the issues that we have in regard to this cruise. They simply lied and said it was all in order even though they had stopped offering the cruise months ago and removed it from their web site.

You may think that HAL is this wonderful company, but they have some very serious problems.

Well, I am convinced. All those people who gave misinformation "lied." Not that they were misinformed, not that the situation is fluid and what seems to be true to the agents one day is not the next, not that they are doing the best to figure out what is going on, and apparently getting it wrong. No, they lied.

And, like OP, I am appalled that HAL has not already come up with a solution. I am sure they are not trying very hard. After all, how hard can it be to find alternative ports with cooperative immigration, interesting tours, and available port space.

Of course, I have always been of the opinion that anyone who gives me misinformation is a bald faced liar. I mean, why else wouldn't they just tell me the truth -- like I always do?

Bill

The Zandam cruise that has cause all the raging furor the last few days has been cancelled. The Japanese press is reporting that the cruise has been broken into two charters sailing out of Kobe, Japan.

HAL took our money, let us sit for months while they worked out the details of this charter. The whole time they lied to us and told us that everything was "ok". HAL did what was best for them with NO regard for what was best for us as customers. The very least they could have done is tell us MONTHS ago that the cruise was under revaluation. They did not and as recently as two weeks blatantly lied to my TA and told her the cruise was going.

These are indeed scummy business practices. I am really disappointed. Shame on them.

The Zandam cruise that has cause all the raging furor the last few days has been cancelled. The Japanese press is reporting that the cruise has been broken into two charters sailing out of Kobe, Japan.

HAL took our money, let us sit for months while they worked out the details of this charter. The whole time they lied to us and told us that everything was "ok". HAL did what was best for them with NO regard for what was best for us as customers. The very least they could have done is tell us MONTHS ago that the cruise was under revaluation. They did not and as recently as two weeks blatantly lied to my TA and told her the cruise was going.

These are indeed scummy business practices. I am really disappointed. Shame on them.

I can certainly sympathize with your feelings. I know we're in the process of planning our Med cruise and the logistics of getting there and back, pre and post cruise hotels, potential tours, arrangements back home for pet care, etc., etc., are time consuming. Sure, there are aspects that are fun but it's fun only as long as you know your cruise is still scheduled. Maybe we should but we've not given much thought to planning an alternative vacation just in case. Like the Zaandam cruise there really isn't another sailing or other lines offering the same itinerary, it's pretty much this cruise or none or something totally different. No doubt I'd be ripped if our cruise got canceled by the cruise line and even more so if they stalled telling us that when it appears they'd known for a time that it was going to be canceled.

Your fury is now well-documented here, there and seemingly everywhere. As for HAL taking your money, you've previously reported using $200 worth of Future Cruise Credits for your deposit on this cruise. Why you just didn't cancel your reservation and go elsewhere is a mystery. You have up to four years to use the credits.

As you said elsewhere, you selected this cruise 9 months ago, many months before the massive earthquake and tsunami struck northeastern Japan. Those who have dealt with you have tried to provide information based on what they knew at the time they spoke with you. You have chosen to believe and publicly allege they were intentionally lying to you.

Making final decisions when the situation obviously continues to be in a state of flux is fraught with peril, thus the delay in making any announcement of a new itinerary. It may have escaped your notice in your continuing rage, but ships are chartered all the time. Others here have mentioned having their sailings cancelled because of a charter, some with far shorter notice. I'm sorry that your cruise has been altered, but it might be time for you to get over it and move on to the more acceptable Princess itinerary you mentioned days ago. Here's hoping it doesn't change, too.

Well, I don't read the Japanese press, but the HAL web site still has the cruise scheduled as it has been for the past few days and it is now 11:20 AM EST, on Monday July 11th?

The HAL website does list a cruise departing Kobe on April 15, 2012. The first of the two charters begins April 1 in Hong Kong and the second ends April 15 in Kobe. The HAL website does not appear to have accurate port information for that April 15 cruise, however. Perhaps because they are still negotiating with port authorities. Then again, maybe they're hoping to get the go-ahead to go to Yokohama, Hakodate, Otaru, Aomori, and Kushiro. I doubt most of those ports will prove popular at this point, though.

Perhaps the Japanese news article was premature and a charter hasn't yet been finalized. The article, if translated correctly, states the itinerary is to be determined. I'd think HAL wouldn't agree to a charter until the itinerary was set and agreed upon.

We have (did have) Clients on Zaandam's April 1st cruise. We received the official notification that she has been chartered.

My Clients, very well-travelled, wanted an itinerary with mostly Japanese ports. I haven't found anything else on any cruise line that's a suitable substitute.

Zaandam's 22 day crossing on April 15th does have numerous Japanese ports, but it's too long. Silver Shadow has a cruise with several Japanese ports, but not an itinerary to compare with Zaandam's.

This is a huge disappointment.:mad:

answer for poor customer service and when you call them on it you get. Well, when I said it, it was true. What a joke for poor communication to people who have made their plans months in advance, asked for vacation time from Employers etc..

In todays techno world and businesses trying to woo customers, this is not a good business model... I would think..

answer for poor customer service and when you call them on it you get. Well, when I said it, it was true. What a joke for poor communication to people who have made their plans months in advance, asked for vacation time from Employers etc..

In todays techno world and businesses trying to woo customers, this is not a good business model... I would think..

I think others have stated over and over that HAL is apparently trying their best to give a good cruise more than 9 months still in the future. They have to replace so many ports with new ones that are half as good as what they'd originally planned.

Life happens and the y need to be considerate of the people of Japan. Give it a resyt. The reps cannot give you info that you are not willing to listen to.

Joanie

chill, dude... press one for english, two for give it a ryst. Poor customer service is just that. No groupies are going to change the facts..

If the OP and other posters had poor customer service, read about it, make your choices and don't peer group or delete posts..

Who mentioned #33 on that other closed thread about an exprerience.. probably those of the the many posts,, people.. We saw no mention of a suite #. I guess they did.:eek:

Contary to some people, others are not asking for advice, but just giving their opinion.. "sorry we can't help was a response given", might be a nice change, so cruisers can plan for their (for some) a once in a lifetime trip..

Despite HAL's continual claims that the Zandam April cruise was going to sail, it has been chartered.

What they are offering as compensation is a reduction on three cruises. Our reduction would be $200 per person based on category of room. Airfares alone have increased a $1000 per ticket since we booked the original cruise. $200 in compensation is a joke.

So much for HAL offering anything substantial.

They are willing to refund our future cruise deposit. We are booked on the Prinsendam in November. And we will sail on it because it is too late to change it. After that we will not be sailing on HAL again.

Their handling of the situation could not have been worse. It surely seems to me to be poor business practice. Acknowledging that the cruise was being "evaluated" would have been appropriate. As a result of HAL's rude and untrue customer service statements, we will vote with our feet as we walk away. It's too bad because after 200 days on HAL we like the ships and on board staff, but you can't plan a trip if they refuse to give accurate information.

There are really two issues at play. The first is the decision to charter. The second is how HAL handled the communication/customer service.

I would give HAL a pass on the charter. It is just business and they can can increase compensation to those impactied if they so wish.

From what I have read, I would give HAL an absolute failing grade on the communication/customer service aspect. I don't blame the CSR's either. They have most likely been fielding calls and asking management for a 'drawer statement' for several weeks. This is poor management and poor communication at it's very worst.

There are really two issues at play. The first is the decision to charter. The second is how HAL handled the communication/customer service.

I would give HAL a pass on the charter. It is just business and they can can increase compensation to those impactied if they so wish.

From what I have read, I would give HAL an absolute failing grade on the communication/customer service aspect. I don't blame the CSR's either. They have most likely been fielding calls and asking management for a 'drawer statement' for several weeks. This is poor management and poor communication at it's very worst.

I'm inclined to agree. It sounds like somebody who should have made a decision about changing ports was waffling. This leaves the CSR's to take the flack.

It's especially bad because it's a port that would require many, if not all, pax to fly some distance to get to. I can understand impatient pax. People like to get their plans settled. You don't want to book those plane tix at the last minute. I try not to "shoot the messenger," but in a case like this, I'd find it difficult not to be angry.

Archived